Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Special #1: Of Life and Fate - Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The Spirits Strike!


“You cannot escape our power,” said the man who was being used like a puppet. By “our” he was likely referring to the four Duel Monster’s spirits.

“I don’t think you know who you’re dealing with,” said Christopher. “I’m Christopher Johnson, Regional Duel Monsters Champion.”

“Don’t underestimate this guy,” I said. “He’s more powerful that he looks.”

“You just want me to be careful so you can beat him and show me up again.” Christopher replied. “Well I’m not going to let that happen. We'll each deal as much damage as we can in this duel, and treat that as our duel.”

He looked over at me, smiling confidently, and said, “Don’t worry, it’s not like he can beat both of us.”

“I’m going to destroy you,” the Puppet Man said, “and I’ll begin with a face-down monster and one face-down card.”

“That’s all?” Christopher said. “John, you’re next. Show this guy what a real Duelist can do.”

“Right,” I said. This guy’s strong, I can feel it. Better play it safe for now.

I drew my card, “I summon my ‘Strike Ninja’ and set a face-down card of my own.” As the black-clad ninja appeared at my side, I looked over at Christopher and said, “Don’t get carried away. You aren’t invincible. Our last duel should be proof of that.”

“Don’t worry,” he said, “I know what I’m doing.”

He drew his card, “I’m going to show you both exactly why I’m called the King of OTK by winning this duel this turn! I begin with the Spell card ‘Graceful Charity’, drawing three cards and discarding two cards.” He drew his three cards, then selected two cards from his hand and placed them in his graveyard.

“This,” said Christopher, “activates the effect of the ‘Polarity Dragon card that I discarded by ‘Charity’’s effect. I remove him and ‘Burning Beast’ in my Graveyard from play to deal you one thousand damage!” A transparent twelve-foot-tall dragon appeared behind Christopher. One half of its body was red and wreathed in fire. The other half of its body was an icy gray and wreathed in a frigid blue light. The fire coalesced in the dragon’s mouth and it fired at our opponent (4000-1000=3000). Then the dragon faded away.

“Next,” said Christopher, “I summon ‘Blazing Warrior Lady’.” A beautiful woman in red appeared, carrying a katana wreathed in flames (ATK: 2200). “I also play ‘Double Summon’,” Christopher continued, “letting me summon ‘Frozen Sorceress’ to the field as well.” A second young woman appeared. She had long blue-white hair and wore an elegant black dress (ATK: 2200).

“Finally,” Christopher concluded, “I activate ‘Clash of Polarity’, increasing the Attack of my ‘Blazing Warrior Lady’ by eight hundred.” The lady swordsman was surrounded by a swirling red and blue aura (2200+800=3000).

“To ensure my victory,” Christopher declared, “I activate ‘Deadly Ice Field’, destroying your face-down Spell or Trap card.”

“Then I might as well activate my face-down Spell now,” the Puppet Man said. “Reveal ‘Spirit Banish’.” His card flipped up, just as a bunch of icy spires burst up out of the ground, skewering and destroying it.

“Whatever,” said Christopher. “It doesn’t matter what you do. I’m still going to win this turn. My ‘Frozen Sorceress’ destroys your face-down monster, and then ‘Blazing Warrior Lady’ finishes you off.”

‘Frozen Sorceress’ summoned up a gust of icy wind, and ‘Blazing Warrior Lady’ swung her katana, flinging fire at the foe. He’s right, I thought, if his attack connects, this duel is over!

But then the face-down monster, the golden energy bird, was revealed. It changed, becoming a beautiful red phoenix with golden feathers in its wings. It flapped, summoning up a wall of fire that blocked the two attacks.

“Your attack revealed the ‘Golden Spirit Phoenix’ (DEF: 1900),” Puppet Man explained. “When she would be destroyed in battle, I can discard a “Spirit” monster from my deck to prevent her destruction. Also, because I activated ‘Spirit Banish’ this turn, I can choose to remove one of those monsters from play instead, activating its effect. When my ‘White Spirit Leo’ in my deck is removed from play, he’s Special Summoned at the End Phase.” A ball of white energy appeared at the Puppet Man’s side.

Christopher scowled and said, “I end my turn, activating ‘Blazing Warrior Lady’’s effect. I take damage equal to her Attack points.” The ‘Warrior Lady’’s fire flared up, singeing away a large potion of Christopher’s Life (4000-3000=1000).

“Then my monster is summoned!” said the Puppet Man. The white energy took the form of the winged white energy beast. He shed the energy, becoming a white-furred winged lion. “Behold ‘White Spirit Leo’ (ATK: 2200)!

“I draw,” the Puppet man declared, “and I activate the Spell card ‘Spirit Bounty’ removing a “Spirit” in my Graveyard from play to draw three cards.” Another energy creature, the blue winged lizard appeared, and merged with the top three cards of the Puppet Man’s deck, causing then to glow, and he drew. “Next I activate the effect of ‘Red Spirit Lupo’ in my hand, removing two monsters in my deck from play to lower his level in my hand by two until the end of my turn. I summon him now!”

The red energy beast appeared, becoming a black wolf with red eyes and red auras surrounding each of its paws. He howled (ATK: 2300).

“Activate ‘Spirit Release’,” the Puppet Man said, “letting one of my monsters attack a player in his spirit form.” The wolf’s red spirit form emerged from his body, which collapsed, and attacked Christopher directly (1000-1150 =0). Christopher collapsed, unconscious, his energy drained away. ‘Lupo’’s spirit flew back into his body and he rose to his feet.

Oh crap!

“Now,” my opponent announced, “I activate ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’.” A burst of wind tore through my face-down ‘Mirror Force’.

Double Crap!

“‘White Spirit Leo’, destroy the ‘Strike Ninja’,” Puppet Man commanded, “Spirit Claw!” The lion slashed at my monster and three white claw streaks flew toward my ‘Ninja’, slicing him to pieces (4000+1700-2200=3500). “Next I attack with ‘Red Spirit Lupo’, Spirit Fang, activating the Spell card ‘Berserker Form’, increasing my monster’s Attack by nine hundred!” ‘Lupo’’s body became more humanoid and he stood on his hind legs (2300+900=3200). He bared his teeth at me. Red energy fangs burst from his mouth, growing larger, and biting me. The pain was almost unbearable (3500-3200=300). I dropped to one knee.

“I place one card face-down,” the Puppet Man said, “and end my turn.”

I clenched my teeth against the pain and stood up. “I may be behind,” I said, “but I’m far from done. I don’t know what kind of magic you possess, but you should know that I have magic all my own.” My Soul of Darkness flashed and I drew my card, calling out, “Destiny Draw!”

I placed my newest card on my Duel Disk, and a burst of static flared up at my side. From the static emerged the yellow warrior, “I summon ‘The Fiend Megacyber’ (ATK: 2200)!”

“To my monster,” I said, “I equip the ‘Sword of Dark Destruction’ and ‘Fusion Sword Murasame Blade’.” The armor on my monster’s right arm stretched out over his hand and formed a longsword, and in his left hand appeared an evil-looking sword that emitted a dark light (2200+800+400 =3400).

“You don’t have the advantage anymore,” I said. “Now I control the field. ‘Fiend Megacyber’, attack ‘Lupo’ with Megadark Slash!”

My monster raised his ‘Sword of Dark Destruction’ over his head and he was wreathed in the swords dark aura. Then he raised the ‘Fusion Sword’ and ran straight at my opponent’s strongest monster.

“Reveal,” said the Puppet Man, “the Trap card ‘Convergence of Spirits’, merging my three “Spirits” into the Ultimate Spirit!” The three creatures returned to their spirit forms and flew up into the dark cloud building overhead. A long serpentine form made of green energy descended from the clouds. “Behold,” the Puppet Man said, “my true form, ‘Divine Spirit Dracon’!”

The serpentine form shed the green energy, becoming a long golden-green dragon at least one hundred yards long with broad white-feathered wings and strands of long green hair coming off of the back of its head. It let out a massive bellowing roar (ATK: 3700).

The voice that had previously come from the Puppet Man now came from the dragon that floated overhead. “I counterattack, Spirit Burst Breath!”

The dragon opened his mouth and breathed green-gold light down from above.

“I make my last stand here!” I declared. “‘Fiend Megacyber’, attack!”

My monster jumped up, swords raised, and pushed back against the dragon’s attack, but he was overpowered and destroyed. The beam continued through. There was nothing I could do. The beam hit me, and I felt myself drift away.

(300+3400-3700=0).

Card of the Day:
Red Spirit Lupo
Played by: Dracon

When I designed the Spirit archetype that Dracon uses in this special, this was the first card I made, and the one that inspired the archetype to begin with. Also it's a wolf. I like wolves.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment