Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Special #1: Of Life and Fate - Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The Battle Begins


My name’s Ned. Ever since I was young I’ve been able to see the spirits of Duel Monsters. Two of them in particular. I have a very unique deck filled with cards that no other Duelists have ever seen before. Two of those monsters have a tendency to appear to me. They always told me that I was destined for something great, and that I had to remain strong because one day it would be up to me to aid them in a battle that would determine the fate of the whole world! If someone told me that I had that kind of destiny I never would have believed them, but when that kind of news comes from two giant dragons, it’s a lot easier to swallow.

I was on my way to the airport by bus. I was only in town for the day. My stay was up. I was staring out the window of the bus absentmindedly when the world around me grew dark, just as it always did when my Duel Spirits appeared.

“It’s time,” said ‘Ancient Yin Dragon’, his voice calm.

“You mean…”

“Yes,” said ‘Ancient Yang Dragon’, his voice fierce, “our enemy has revealed himself! It’s time for our battle to be waged. He’s on his way now. You must prepare!”

I got off of the bus at the next stop and ran into a nearby wood. I was nervous, my stomach turning summersaults, but I’d known that this battle was coming for a while, so I was ready. Still, if this battle was going to happen, I had to make sure that it happened away from people.

As I ran, the dragon spirits flew above me. The sky grew dark as a black cloud rolled in overhead.

He’s coming, said ‘Ancient Yin Dragon’ in my mind.

“Are there any people nearby?” I asked the dragons. They rose up higher and looked around. Then they swooped back down close to me.

You’re all alone, said ‘Yang’. You can fight here.

I turned, ready to face the oncoming foe, “Good, then we really should get this over with.”

I stared into the darkened woods, and I waited. It wasn’t long before a figure approached. He was pale and his face was blank. I could tell that whatever had happened to this man, he hadn’t lived through it. He was the walking dead now.

My monster spirits faded away and I switched on my Duel Disk. “Who are you?” I demanded.

“I am,” he said through a mouth that wasn’t his own, “the greatest force to ever exist, ‘Divine Spirit Dracon’. I have possessed this body in order to duel you. I will destroy you and gain dominance over the fate of this world for the rest of eternity!”

“No you won’t,” I said. “I won’t let you!”

“Are you sure you want to fight me?” the dragon asked. “If I win, you will die. Did those foolish dragons tell you that part?”

“Yeah,” I answered, “I’ve known about the stakes of this battle for years now. I’m prepared for the consequences, and don’t think I don’t know what I’m doing. If there’s one thing I know how to do its duel.”

And I wasn’t bluffing. I was ready for this fight. Ever since I was young and my two Duel Spirits had started appearing to me they’d been telling me about my destiny. They'd given me plenty of chances to back out of this, but I'd declined them all. I wasn’t about to let the world be doomed if there was anything I could do about it.

“If that’s what you want,” the dragon said, “I’ll begin. I summon ‘Golden Spirit Phoenix’,” a bird made of golden energy appeared, taking the form of a phoenix with golden feathers (ATK: 400). “I sacrifice ‘Golden Spirit Phoenix’ to Special Summon ‘Blue Spirit Wyvern’,” the dragon continued. The phoenix disappeared in a burst of flames and was replaced by a blue, winged energy creature, like a small dragon. The energy creature became an icy blue wyvern (ATK: 2200).

“Now,” said ‘Dracon’, “I activate the ‘Wyvern’’s effect, sacrificing him to deal eight hundred points of damage. Frigid Blast!” The ‘Wyvern’ became energy and split into pieces that took the form of several chunks of ice, several of which were pretty sharp. The ice rained down on me. One large piece hit me in the gut, and one of the sharper-edged pieces sliced the skin of my left cheek. I pressed on the wound to stop the bleeding (4000-800=3200).

“Next,” said the dragon, “I pay eight hundred Life Points to activate ‘Premature Burial’ (4000-800=3200), reviving ‘Wyvern’,” the small dragon returned, “and I activate his effect a second time.” Once again I was pelted by ice (3200-800 =2400).

“I place two cards face-down,” the dragon said, “and end my turn.”

“Then it’s finally time for me to fight back,” I said. “I begin by summoning ‘Yang, Fearless Warrior’. I discard one Warrior-type monster, ‘Lee, Recurring Nightmare’, from my deck to allow the ‘Fearless Warrior’ to attack twice this turn.” ‘Yang’ was surrounded by a dark aura. “‘Yang’, attack!” He raised his sword and moved to strike.

“Reveal,” the dragon countered, “my Trap card ‘Spirit Revival’, summoning a monster back to the field in its spirit form to block your attack.”

‘Yang’ slashed, but his blade was blocked by the golden spirit bird. Energy pulsed from the point where spirit met steel, and ‘Yang’ was pushed back to my side. The bird shed its spirit form (ATK: 400).

“‘Yang’,” I commanded, “now that it’s vulnerable again, use your second attack to kill it.” ‘Yang’ charged and cut the ‘Phoenix’ in half.

“Reveal,” said ‘Dracon’, “the Trap card ‘Spirit Barrier’, protecting my Life Points from damage.”

“Then I guess all I can do,” I said, “is place two cards face-down and end my turn.”

Card of the Day:
Blue Spirit Wyvern
Played by: Dracon

Since this is the only spirit to debut this chapter, and since I don't really have images of Ned's monsters anymore, this one wins Card of the Day (hurray).

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment