Thursday, August 28, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Three: The Dark Duel Force - Chapter Twelve

Wow, Lawrence got pwned. To be fair, he is an arrogant jackass, so he had it coming. Like the conclusion of Kimi's duel with Ghost, this chapter is short, but I feel like it's a little more exciting, and paced a little better. I guess I could have drawn it out, as I do like making things miserable for Lawrence, but I didn't want it to get boring.
 
 
Chapter Twelve

The Greatest Dragon Falls;
Power of Mirage Knight


Lawrence


I struggled to control my excitement as my most powerful card appeared before me with a deep, bellowing roar. There was no way that my opponents had a monster in their possession that was more powerful than the 'Ultimate Dragon'. “You may have balanced your decks well to both attack our monsters and defend your own,” I said mockingly, “but by doing so, you wasted space in your deck that could have been filled with powerful monsters like this one. You don't have anything powerful enough to stand up to the ultimate ‘Blue-Eyes’ (ATK: 4500). ‘Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon’, destroy ‘Guardian Grarl’, Ultimate Burst!”

The dragon’s three heads released beams of energy that hit the ‘Guardian Grarl’, engulfing him completely in a brilliant white radiance (4000+3000-4500 =2500).

“That’s all for now,” I concluded. “Make your move.”

“Gladly,” Guard replied, still acting completely unafraid, “but first let me point out what you did wrong. If you had attacked my ‘Guardian Tryce’, you would have killed me, but you let your pride get in your way of defeating your enemy and you pitted your dragon against my strongest monster instead. But that wasn’t even your biggest mistake,” his expression changed from one of calm to one of rage. “Your greatest mistake was killing ‘Grarl’!”

An aura of energy rose up around Guard, and his Shadow Item, his Shadow Soul, crackled to life. “To repay you,” said Guard, his voice deeper than before, “I’ll kill your friend. Each of my ‘Guardian’’s weapons grants them a special power. You know that the ‘Twin Swords of Flashing Light’ gives my ‘Guardian Tryce’ the ability to attack twice, but I never told you what my ‘Shooting Star Bow’’s effect is. Any monster equipped with ‘Shooting Star Bow’ can attack directly.”

At first I didn’t know why that mattered. I had enough Life Points to withstand two attacks from a monster as weak as 'Tryce'. But then it hit me, Guard had said that he would kill my friend. And there was only one person alive who fell under that category. Only one person alive who I cared about as much as myself.

“Monty!” I looked over at my friend, just in time to see the ‘Guardian Tryce’ appear at Monty’s side in a flash of light. The monster spun, hitting Monty once with each of his swords, and then disappeared in a burst of light, landing at his master’s side. Monty fell, his Life Points depleted (600-400-400=0). Monty’s ‘Magical Hats’ disappeared as he collapsed.

No! I thought, fuming at my opponent's. When we fought together, Monty and I were invincible! He used his magic strategies to hold the opponent at bay until I could come in with my dragons for the final attack! But I’d made a mistake, and it had cost him his soul. It was a fact, one which wasn't easy for me to admit.

“Now,” said War, “it’s time to finish this duel off.”

“I set a card,” said Guard, “and end my turn.”

“Which,” said War, “makes it my turn. I activate ‘Promotion’, increasing the level of my level five ‘Jack’s Knight’ by one, making it a level six monster. Next I activate ‘Metamorphosis’, transforming a level six monster into a Fusion Monster of the same level.”

‘Jack’s Knight’’s armor rippled, as if liquid, and changed. It became black and red in color, and his longsword twisted and curved flexed, reshaping into a more menacing curved blade. “Introducing,” War Ruler announced, “the ‘Dark Flare Knight’ (ATK: 2200)!”

‘Dark Fare Knight’ raised his sword and lunged right at my dragon. I was angry, and I was itching for some revenge, so I didn't even wonder why my opponent would attack with a weaker monster. “Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon’,” I commanded, “counterattack! Ultimate Burst!”

My mighty dragon released all of my guilt, all of my rage, and all of my determination, channeled into one final attack. ‘Dark Flare Knight’ was overcome, but when my attack faded, the knight had changed once again. He was clad in brilliant golden armor, and his sword had been replaced by a decorated scythe.

“By destroying my ‘Dark Flare Knight’,” War Ruler explained, “you unleashed my strongest monster, the mighty ‘Mirage Knight’ (ATK: 2800).”

War looked at me with a mind blowing amount of confidence in his eyes. I’d never felt anything like what I was feeling now. I was truly afraid. ‘Mirage Knight’ charged straight at my dragon. The dragon attacked, but ‘Mirage Knight’ raised his scythe, holding the attack at bay. Except...

No, I realized, he isn't just holding it back, he's absorbing it!

The knight rose up into the air, above my dragon’s head, his scythe gleaming with the light of my dragon’s attack, and raised his scythe above his head, ready to strike (ATK: 2800+4500=7300).

“Reveal,” said Guard, “the Spell card ‘Spirit Life’, bringing the spirit of my ‘Guardian Grarl’ back and infusing ‘Mirage Knight’ with its power.” A ghostly ‘Grarl’ appeared and was drawn into the ‘Knight’’s body, merging with it (ATK: 7300+1250=8550).

My last thought as ‘Mirage Knight’ brought his scythe down, releasing a wave of energy that split my dragon in half, was that while I had done my best, my best hadn’t  good enough to save me, or my friend. And it definitely hadn't been enough to defeat these opponents, who were stronger than I could have imagined.

The wave of light carried through, past the remains of my dragon, hitting me, throwing me through the air. I landed hard on my back (3200+4500-8550=0) as my soul disappeared from my body.


Tucker


I watched from my place at Sarah’s side as Lawrence was defeated as well, just as Karen had known he would be, his ultimate monster reduced to a heap of ash. “How are we gonna beat such a powerful team?” Sarah asked. “We’re all that’s left.”

“We’re not all that's left,” I said defiantly. “Max and Karen are still back at the hospital. We just have to do our best and know that we’re fighting for our friends. Besides, if you believe Karen, this has all gone according to plan. Now we know the powers of two of their strongest decks, and I have the strategy Karen gave me to help us out. We’ll win and get everyone’s spirits back.”

“Right,” said Sarah. She swallowed nervously and I noticed the fear in her eyes. I wanted to say something to make her feel better, to put her at ease, but I didn't know what to say. Before I could think of anything, someone else spoke.

“And then there were two,” said Spiky Hair, laughing wickedly, “and before long, there will be none!”

“No way,” I countered, speaking loud enough for the Dark Duel Force to hear, gesturing to myself and Sarah. “We’re the real ultimate combination. Nobody gets past us!”

I glanced over at Sarah, and I saw her worried face twist into an half smile. Showing confidence in her had allowed her to start to feel some confidence in herself. She stepped forward and, and I stepped forward at her side, and we faced our opponents. I knew that she was still afraid for her life, and just hiding it really well, but that was okay, because I was doing the same thing.

Card of the Day:
Mirage Knight
Played by: War Ruler

This monster was the first one in the game which could defeat any other monster in battle, and while it is difficult to use properly, there is no question that it is a potent card, and makes a huge impact in this duel.

Original Cards in This Chapter:


Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment