Thursday, August 21, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book One: Gather the Duel Force - Chapter Twelve

I like Sarah's opponent. I think I'll have to bring her back at some point.


Chapter Twelve

The Tournament Heats Up;
Sarah vs. The Millennium Swordswoman!


 Sarah and I made it through the next couple rounds of the tournament without much trouble. I took another look at the B bracket, and I didn’t see Daryl’s name anywhere. If he was in the tournament, he was in the other block.

Finally we came to the block B semifinals. It was made obvious by looking at the bracket who we were supposed to face. It would be me against a sandy-haired, jockish guy named Ray, and Sarah versus a tiny little Asian girl named Mina. Because we couldn’t find the shopkeeper anywhere in the store, we decided just to start. We were sitting down to begin when the shopkeeper burst through the front door and stopped us.

“Come outside,” he told us. “We’ll be having the block B semifinals on the Duel Disk arena outside. The eliminated Duelists are waiting outside for a good show.”

“What about block A?” Kris asked.

“Oh,” he answered, shrugging, “they’re behind you guys, and they don’t all have Duel Disks. Now come on.”

Kris, Sarah, the other finalists and I followed him outside and found ourselves face-to-face with a crowd of other Duelists, only about half of which looked even slightly excited. “This is pretty sad,” I told Kris. “He’s only making us do this to show off his arena.”

“Yeah,” she agreed.

“I don’t mind,” said Mina, having overheard. “My deck is way cooler in Solid Vision.”

“Mine, too,” Ray agreed.

“Alright,” the shopkeeper called, taking a position at the front of the crowd, reading off of the sign-up sheet, “it’s time for the block B semifinals, on my new Duel Disk arena. The first semifinal match will be Sarah, signed up under the mantle of Team Duel Force, against Mina, the self-appointed Millennium Swordswoman. Huh.”

Sarah and Mina climbed up on opposite ends of the arena and faced each other, activating their Duel Disks.

The shopkeeper flipped a coin, “Sarah will go first.”

“Alright!” Sarah exclaimed. “Let’s get things started strong with ‘Water Magician’, equipped with ‘Steel Shell’.”

The water sorceress appeared, twirling her staff, a steel-spiked shell strapped to her back (ATK: 1400+400=1800).

“I set a card,” Sarah concluded, “and end my turn. Just try to come at me.”

Mina’s only response was a confident smile.

“Draw,” she declared, “and activate ‘Cost Down’, discarding ‘Labyrinth of Nightmare’ to lower the Level of every monster in my hand by two during this turn. I set a monster and a card, and pass.”

A hologram of the face-down monster appeared. I smiled, I actually think I know which monster she just set. If I’m right, this next turn is gonna hurt.

Kris was smiling. She saw it too.

“I know you’re trying to bluff me,” Sarah announced, “but, honestly, I’m kinda bored, so I’m just gonna attack anyway. Besides, I’m curious. I summon ‘Amazon of the Seas’, and attack with ‘Water Magician’.”

A mermaid appeared alongside Sarah’s original monster, as the sorceress summoned a stream of water from her staff. It poured over Mina’s monster, which revealed itself as a golden shield embedded with a jewel and etched with an Egyptian eye.

“My monster is the ‘Millennium Shield’,” Mina explained, beaming with pride (DEF: 3000).

“Well crap,” Sarah replied. The ‘Shield’’s jewel glowed, and a barrier appeared around it, deflecting the water back at Sarah (4000+1800-3000=2800).

“My turn again,” Mina declared. “I reveal my face-down ‘Reckless Greed’, allowing me to draw two cards. I set three cards, activate ‘Weapon Change’, and end my turn.”

Sarah looked a little annoyed, “How about I show you why no one ever won a fight with a shield?”

She drew and smiled, “I tribute ‘Amazon of the Seas’ to Tribute Summon ‘Orca Mega-Fortress of Darkness’.”

An enormous killer whale with launchers in its back and belly and a crane arm attached to the base of its tail appeared in place of the mermaid, hanging in the air above its master’s head (ATK: 2100).

“I reveal “Ultimate Offering” and pay five hundred Life to summon ‘Torpedo Fish’,” Sarah continued, and a large, torpedo-shaped fish appeared, loading itself into the launcher on the ‘Orca’’s belly.

“‘Orca’,” Sarah ordered, “launch the ‘Torpedo Fish’ at the ‘Shield’ and destroy it!”

“Not quite,” Mina countered. “Reveal ‘Reinforce Shield’. I place one Shield Counter on a Warrior monster that I control, and the Shield Counter is destroyed instead of my monster.”

‘Orca’ fired the ‘Torpedo Fish’ at the ‘Shield’. The fish exploded, but the ‘Shield’ was left unharmed.

“My turn,” Mina announced, “and I start off with the effect of my Continuous Spell ‘Weapon Change’. By paying seven hundred Life, the Attack and Defense points of my ‘Millennium Shield’ swap.”

“They what now?” Sarah asked, more than a little surprised. Mina’s Life Points took a plunge (4000-700=3300), and the ‘Millennium Shield’ changed shape, becoming a medieval, golden longsword with a silver Egyptian eye and a jewel in the hilt. Making good use of the Duel Disk’s Solid Vision technology, Mina grasped the sword in both hands (ATK: 3000).

“I attack the ‘Water Magician’,” Mina declared. She swung the sword, flinging a wave of red energy at the ‘Magician’, slicing her in half (2300+1800-3000=1100).

“I dare you,” Mina taunted, “to come at me.”

Sarah drew, giving Mina the evil eye.

“Of course,” Mina interjected, “you don’t really have a choice. I reveal ‘Careless Opening’, allowing your ‘Orca’ to attack me for half damage, but forcing it to attack immediately.”

The ‘Orca’ produced a giant cannon from its mouth.

“Next,” Mina continued, “I reveal ‘Staunch Defender’ redirecting the forced attack toward my ‘Millennium Sword’.”

The ‘Orca’ fired, and again Mina swung her sword, her energy wave cutting through the ‘Orca’’s cannon bolt, and the ‘Orca’ itself. Sarah took another big hit (1100 +2100-3000=200).

“You kinda pissed me off just now,” Sarah said. “I play ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards, set a monster and a card, and end my turn.”

“Draw,” Mina declared, “and I pay to sustain my ‘Sword’ (3300-700=2600), equip it with ‘Fairy Meteor Crush’, giving it a Piercing effect, and attack for the win!”

“Not likely,” Sarah replied indignantly. “I reveal ‘Negate Attack’.”

Mina’s attack was sucked into a vortex, rendered harmless.

“My turn,” Sarah announced, a wicked smirk worthy of her brother playing across her face. “I remove ‘Torpedo Fish’ in my Graveyard from play to summon ‘Aqua Spirit’.”

Sarah’s blue-skinned water sprite appeared at her side (ATK: 1600).

“Next,” Sarah continued, “I Flip-Summon ‘Penguin Soldier’, returning the ‘Aqua Spirit’ and your monster to our hands.”

A small, sword-wielding penguin appeared and directed ‘Aqua Spirit’ to attack ‘Millennium Shield’, and the two monsters disappeared from the field in a flash.

“I remove ‘Amazon of the Seas’ from play to re-summon ‘Aqua Spirit’,” Sarah concluded, “and I tribute ‘Penguin Soldier’ to summon ‘Giga Gagagigo’.”

‘Aqua Spirit’ reappeared, and ‘Penguin Soldier’ disappeared, replaced by the fierce, armored reptile (ATK: 2450).

“My monsters attack.”

Mina stood helpless as the two monsters struck together, reducing her Life Points to zero.

“And the winner is,” Sarah said, “me.”

She stepped down and made her way to mine and Kris’ side, “Now let’s get on with this so I can win this tournament.”

Card of the Day:
Penguin Soldier
Played by: Sarah

  I love "Millennium Shield". I love "Giga Gagagigo". I love "Shield and Sword". But this is a penguin. With a sword. It wins by default.

Original Cards in This Chapter:


Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment