Friday, August 22, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book One: Gather the Duel Force - Chapter Nineteen

I don't make Odion seem as intimidating in my story as he is in the canon. I probably just didn't want to have to deal with the characters not trusting him, but I honestly don't remember why I did this. Maybe these kids just take a lot in stride? I guess that makes sense, considering all of the other stuff that they take in stride in this book. Like, all the magic stuff.

 
Chapter Nineteen

A Duelist’s Honor;
Show Him Your Spirit!


“I draw,” my opponent said, his Life Points increasing as he did so (LP: 9000), “and next, I reveal the Trap card ‘Reckless Greed’. I draw two cards, but I must also skip my next two Draw Phases."

His Life Points increased again (9000+500=9500).

"Now," He continued, "I activate ‘Temple of Kings’, and place one card face-down. By the effect of ‘Temple of Kings’, I activate the card I just set, ‘Jar of Greed’ to draw again (9500+500=10,000). Finally, I reveal ‘Embodiment of Apophis’, a Trap Monster card.”

What’s going on here? I wondered. That’s two cards I’ve never heard of right there! And one of them lets you play Traps that you just set?!

My opponent flipped over a Trap, and a monster emerged. It was an armored snake with a man’s torso, a humanoid head, and a second snake-like head rising from the nape of its neck. It carried a shield and sword and hissed loudly (ATK: 1600).

“Set another card and attack, Serpent Saber!”

“Oh yeah!” I said. “Now I’ve got you! Trap or not, a monster is a monster, and monsters can be destroyed. Trap card activate, ‘Sakuretsu Armor’!”

A suite of black armor appeared between me and the attacking serpent.

“This card blocks your attack and destroys the attacking monster!” I explained, but my opponent was ready.

“You are wrong,” my opponent countered. “Reveal the card I just set, ‘Seven Tools of the Bandit’. By paying one thousand Life Points (10,000-1000=9000), I can disarm your Trap.”

My armor shattered, and the Trap Monster’s attack went through (LP: 8000-1600=6400).

“Now,” said my opponent, “I reveal the Spell card ‘Sebek’s Blessing’. I gain Life Points equal to the damage you were just dealt (9000+1600=10,600). Now finally, I set two more cards face-down and end my turn.”

“I draw,” I declared, frustrated with my current run of luck.

I can’t let things continue this way.

“I summon my ‘Cannon Soldier’. With only fourteen hundred Attack he’s weaker than your ‘Apophis’ now, but that will all change when I equip him with the black blade, ‘Sword of Dark Destruction’ (ATK: 1400+400=1800). I also activate ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’ to destroy the ‘Ordeal of a Traveler’ card, giving me a clear path to attack your Trap Monster, Dark Blade Cannon!”

The boxy robot ‘Cannon Soldier’ raised the evil-looking blade, charged with a red and purple energy that he absorbed into his cannon barrel. He charged up his cannon and fired at the serpent. ‘Apophis’ raised his shield, but the enhanced attack cut right through, incinerating ‘Apophis’ in one shot (10,600+1600-1800=10,400).

“Now,” I said, “I end my turn.”

My opponent was unfazed, however. “At the end of your turn,” he declared, “I reveal ‘Reckless Greed’ to again draw two cards, which once again increases my Life Points by the effect of ‘Solemn Wishes’."

Light rained down on my opponent, undoing all of the damage that I'd managed to do in an instant (10,400 +500=10,900).

"Now," he continued, "I begin my turn. I start with two Trap cards, my face-down ‘Jar of Greed’, and another ‘Reckless Greed’ from my hand. I draw three cards (LP: 11,900), and summon ‘Makyura the Destructor’.” An armored claw-wielding demon warrior appeared, wearing a full face mask that bore the Millennium Eye symbol which is so common in Duel Monsters.

“I set and activate a new ‘Embodiment of Apophis’," he said, another of the serpent men appearing at the warrior's side, " and equip ‘Apophis’ with the Trap card ‘Blast with Chain’, also from my hand," 'Apophis' sheathed his sword, a chain appearing in his hand. Near one end of the chain hung a bundle of dynamite. On the other end hung a curved blade (ATK: 1600+500=2100).

“Attack with ‘Embodiment of Apophis’," my opponent commanded, "with Chain Sling.” The blade hit my machine monster, slicing him in half (5400+1800-2100=5100), leaving me defenseless.

“Direct attack with ‘Makyura’,” his monster rushed me and ran past, slashing with his claws (5100-1600=3500). “I end my turn.”

This would be a great time to make an appearance buddy, I thought, preparing to draw my card. This card had never let me down before, and it wouldn’t let me down now. I drew, Bingo!

“I Special Summon my ‘Fiend Megacyber’,” I declared, full of pride, “my favorite card.”

The yellow-armored warrior appeared at my side, his arms crossed (ATK: 2200), and my face twisted into a confidant smile, as the orange, beaked demon appeared again at the warrior's side, “Next I re-summon my ‘Whiptail Crow’ (ATK: 1650).

“‘Crow’, attack ‘Makyura’ with Tailwhip,” I commanded, and the bird-like fiend slashed the warrior in half with his tail (11,900+1600-1650=11,850), “and ‘Megacyber’ crushes your ‘Apophis’ with his Megacyber Impact!” ‘Megacyber’ moved in close to the serpent. ‘Apophis’ swung the chain weapon. ‘Megacyber’ ducked underneath and sprung forward, nailing ‘Apophis’ in the face, killing it (11,850+2100-2200=11,750). However, once again, my opponent was unfazed by my counterattack, even using it to his advantage.

“Because ‘Makyura the Destructor’ was sent to the Graveyard,” my opponent explained, “I can activate Trap cards from my hand until the end of the turn. Activate ‘Call of the Haunted’ to return ‘Makyura’ to the field.” The warrior was reborn, brandishing his claws.

“On my turn,” my opponent explained, “I sacrifice ‘Makyura the Destructor’ to summon the legendary guardian of the ‘Temple of Kings’, ‘Mystical Beast Serket’! All who wish to explore the ancient ‘Temple of Kings’ must first prove themselves against ‘Serket’’s almost godly powers.”

Prove themselves against ‘Serket’…

It was brown with a body like a flattened cigar, a scorpion tail, and lobster-like claws and legs. At the front end of the cigar-like body was an ovular mouth lined with rows of razor teeth. At either end of and slightly above the thing’s mouth was a bulbous red eye. Directly above its mouth, on a stalk, was a sort of spherical second head bearing the same Millennium Eye symbol as ‘Makyura’’s mask (ATK: 2500).

“My legendary beast will be your undoing,” my opponent said. “Allow me to demonstrate his unique powers. ‘Serket’, attack with Beast Devourer!”

‘Serket’ reached out with his pincers and grabbed my ‘Fiend Megacyber’ by the arms. He opened his mouth wide and swallowed my monster whole. I lost life points (3500+2200-2500=3200), and ‘Serket’ grew larger, his Attack rising (2500+500 =3000). My opponent’s Life Points remained ominously high, and after just one more skipped draw phase, he would be able to draw again, and his Life Points would increase further.

“Now,” my opponent continued, “I end my turn with the Spell card ‘Mesmeric Control’, locking your ‘Crow’ into attack mode.”

Okay, this guy said he was testing me, right? But he never said that I had to beat him, just that I had to prove myself. Then he dropped that hint about ‘Serket’ being a monster that tests trespassers. He must want me to prove that my Duelist’s spirit is pure by overcoming his legendary beast.

“If you want me to defeat your beast,” I said, almost under my breath, “then I’ll show you my spirit in the form of ‘Great Maju Garzett’!”

I drew my card, and without even looking I sent my ‘Whiptail Crow’ to the Graveyard, and placed the new card down in its place. The ‘Crow’ become a wisp of black smoke that took form, becoming the mighty skeletal fiend (ATK: 3300).

“Also," I told my opponent, "since the attack of your ‘Serket’ removed my ‘Fiend Megacyber’ from play, out of my reach, I’ll settle for using ‘Monster Reborn’ to summon ‘Whiptail Crow’ from the Graveyard instead,” The recently-sacrificed ‘Crow’ reappeared.

“I attack with ‘Great Maju’, Vile Energy!”

The fiend unleashed a wave of evil energy from his clawed hand, which was absorbed immediately by a barrier. “Reveal,” my opponent said, “the Trap card ‘Negate Attack’, canceling your attack and ending the Battle Phase.”

Correctly guessing that my turn was over, my opponent began his without drawing a card, as he was still under the effect of ‘Reckless Greed’.

“‘Serket’,” he declared, “attack again and destroy his ‘Whiptail Crow’,” ‘Serket’ swallowed my ‘Crow’ (3200+1650-3000=1550) and grew larger once again, its power rising above that of ‘Great Maju Garzett’, my last, ultimate monster (3000+500=3500).

“All I can do,” I said, “is place one card face-down.”

My opponent nodded and said, “Finally I draw again, and I gain five hundred Life Points (11,350+500=11,850). Attack ‘Great Maju Garzett’ with Beast Devourer.”

‘Serket’ moved forward, its claws outstretched, but I wasn't ready to give into his beast just yet. “I won’t let you,” I announced. “Reveal ‘Waboku’, blocking your attack. It doesn’t buy me much time, but it might be just what I need.”

A trio of priests appeared between my monster and ‘Serket’, praying a barrier into existence. When ‘Serket’ came too close, the barrier pushed ‘Serket’ back.

I drew, and searched my hand. I need a way to counter the effect of ‘Serket’ long enough to take it down, and I may have just the thing!

“I activate,” I declared, “my ‘Darkness Approaches’ Spell card. I throw two cards into the Graveyard to envelope your monster in a magical darkness, resetting its Attack to the original value.”

Around ‘Serket’ formed a cloud of black fog. Just before he was obscured completely, I saw ‘Serket’ return to his original size.

“Now,” I continued, “I attack with Vile Energy!” ‘Great Maju’ fired his attack, dispersing the darkness, and piercing ‘Serket’ through (11,850+2500-3300=11,050).

“I end my turn.”

My opponent walked toward me. “I am most impressed that you were able to defeat my monster. You have proven that you are resourceful, and I have seen in your determination that you are honorable,” he said, placing his hand over his deck, ending the duel. He removed his cloth mask and his hood, revealing a bald head and a stern face with Egyptian symbols tattooed over the left side.

“I am Odion Ishtar,” he told us, “and I would be honored to act as your guide.”

Card of the Day:
Mythical Beast Serket
Played by: Odion Istar

  My stories don't get into the Egyptian aspect of the Yu-Gi-Oh! mythos very often, so I really enjoyed writing this short arch where the kids travel there. This chapter always stands out in my mind due to the fact that John even has to face a tomb test in the form of this powerful monster.

 Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment