Monday, August 25, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Two: Reign of the Reaper - Chapter Twelve

I guess I'm just posting this entire book tonight...

But yeah, anyway, this chapter shows off a bit more of Karen's new uncertainty. She plays well, but is far less aggressive and manipulative than previously. We also get the merger between John and Hiro's minds. This is akin to later in the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime/manga after the Pharaoh and Yugi learn to openly comunicate, and Yugi is able to supplement the Pharaoh by offering him help during duels.


Chapter Twelve

The Invulnerable Guardian Sphinx Deck


“‘Fiend Megacyber’, attack with Megacyber Impact!” I called out my monster’s attack just as I felt my breathing become labored.

It must be this Shadow Game, I thought. This one’s way more intense than any I’ve fought before. It’s taking a huge toll on my body even when I’m not under attack!

I looked over at Karen. She seemed weak too, even more so than me, and I got desperate. I have to finish this!

My monster charged at Yami’s monsters and became wreathed in the red light of Yami’s Trap.

“The card on the right is the Spell card ‘Reload’,” I declared, eager to continue. Despite the haste of my guess, I knew what the outcome would be.

You are correct, Yami said, still smiling as he showed me ‘Reload’.

‘Excellent,” I told Yami. “I just hope I have such good luck when I choose again.”

I watched carefully as Yami shuffled his cards rapidly, smiling all the while. When he was done I said, no trace of doubt in my mind, “The left card is ‘Reload’.”

You are correct, Yami said, his good mood faltering, but how did you know?

“Easy,” I said, holding up three fingers and counting down, “I’m best at three things in this order: Strategy RPG’s, Duel Monsters, and visual puzzle games. Among puzzle games I’m best at shuffle puzzles. You know, hand is quicker than the eye type things. I can follow a target card in your hand, no matter how fast you shuffle. Heck, I can even tell you how far down in your deck that ‘Rite of Spirit’ card is that you shuffled back in earlier.”

That is a rather unique talent, said Yami with a smirk that did little to hide how shaken he really was. Too bad for you I’m planning to shuffle my hand into my deck again next turn using another ‘Reload’.

“That’s fine,” I said, “because right now I can only worry about right now, and speaking of right now, right now my ‘Megacyber’ attacks!”

No!

“Yes!”

‘The Fiend Megacyber’ shot forward and punched ‘Gravekeeper’s Curse’. Yami lost Life Points again (6600+800-2200=5200) as one of his monsters finally fell.

“And remember Yami,” I said, “I still have my face-down card. You'd better watch yourself or you might just lose this. How embarrassing would that be?”

I hope for your sake that your face-down card can stop every one of my next series of attacks, Yami laughed in response. You may have fought Shadow Games before, but this is different. You have never fought so deep within the Shadows. Even with your power over darkness, a Duelist as inexperienced as you in the ways of Shadow Magic could not hope to survive a series of attacks with no time to recover.

His evil smile returned, your body would give out and you would die!

“Show me your worst Yami,” I replied, worried all the while that he was speaking the truth, that my disadvantage was really so great. I glanced over at Karen, who had been silent during this whole exchange. She had no powers over darkness protecting her, and it was showing. Her breathing was becoming more labored every second.

“I end my turn,” I concluded, wasting no more time, “by re-summoning my ‘Giant Orc’ in attack mode.”

Then I draw, Yami exclaimed, and I’ll activate ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards! Next I place one card face-down and activate ‘Reload’, shuffling my hand of two cards into my deck and drawing two more cards, opening up a whole new realm of truly delicious possibilities.

But my turn doesn’t end there, Yami continued. Its time I went on the offensive. I Flip-Summon my ‘Guardian Sphinx’, the strongest creature in my deck!

Behind Yami rose a massive Egyptian sphinx, and not the worn out ancient kind either. This sphinx was brand new and gleaming gold, and it towered overhead, its front legs wrapping the entire battlefield (ATK: 1700).

When ‘Guardian Sphinx’ is Flip-Summoned, Yami explained, all opposing monsters return to their owners’ hands.

‘Fiend Megacyber’, ‘Giant Orc’, and the three ‘Mermaids’ were surrounded by a red light and disappeared from the field.

Now, said Yami, Your field is clear. ‘Guardian Sphinx’, ‘Gravekeeper’s Spy’, ‘Gravekeeper’s Curse’, attack the Dark Duelist directly!

‘Curse’ raised his staff and burned my Life away (7500-800=6700), and ‘Spy’ rushed over to my side of the field, punching me in the gut before jumping back to Yami’s side (6700-1200=5500). Finally, ‘Guardian Sphinx’’s eyes glowed. Red beams shot from its eyes, aimed straight at me.

“Reveal,” I declared, “the Trap card ‘Draining Shield’!”

A barrier appeared surrounding my body. The beams hit, but they were blocked, their energy absorbed into my Life Points (5500+1700=7200). However, despite my high Life score, I felt drained almost to the point of exhaustion from the two consecutive attacks, not to mention that the strain of summoning and maintaining a barrier was almost too much on its own.

Another round of attacks like that will finish me, I thought, Even if I draw another Trap to block them. I can only imagine what it would do to Karen, who has no magic of her own. I have to finish this.

I finish my move, said Yami, with a special ability. ‘Guardian Sphinx’, return to face-down position!

The ‘Sphinx’ faded back into the Darkness.

“My…turn,” said Karen, gasping. “I begin by Special Summoning my ‘Mermaids’, and I…I…” She closed her eyes and swallowed her pain as all three 'Mermaid''s reappeared, looking back at her with concern, “I pass.”

Looks like you’ve already reached your limit, said Yami. Well I haven’t. Reveal the Trap card ‘Rite of Spirit’, summoning a Gravekeeper back from the Grave. Return now, ‘Gravekeeper’s Curse’!

‘Curse’ reappeared and hit us again with his special ability (7200-500=6700/ 6000-500=5500). Karen yelped, and I felt like I’d been hit right in the heart. If this kept up, at the very least we would collapse and lose the duel by default. At worst, well, I didn't want to think about it.

One more turn, I thought. I have one more turn, two tops.

“My move,” I said, struggling, “and I begin with my ‘Giant Orc’ and my ‘Fiend Megacyber’.”

My monsters reappeared and I continued, not eager to waste time, “I attack ‘Curse’ with Megacyber Impact!” My monster was once again wreathed in red light.

“The card on the right,” I declared, “is a Trap.”

Wrong, said Yami, showing me a monster, ‘Mask of Egypt’. ‘Fiend Megacyber’ returned to my hand instantly.

“Alright then,” I said, “my ‘Orc’ attacks ‘Curse’ with Club Slam!”

‘Giant Orc’ was surrounded by the familiar red light. I pointed at one of Yami’s cards. “That one’s the monster.”

Correct, Yami scowled. I tried to follow his monster card as he shuffled his hand, but my vision blurred for a second and I lost track.

Looks like this one comes down to chance, I thought. Alright, “The card on the left is ‘Mask of Egypt’.”

Correct again, said Yami distastefully, and the red light faded. ‘Orc’ ran forward and crushed the ‘Gravekeeper’s Curse’ with his club (5200+800-2200=3800), over-exerting himself. He stumbled back to my side of the field and fell onto his back and into defense position (DEF: 0).

My turn, said Yami, still confident, though noticeably less so than he’d been at the start of the Shadow Game. I think you know what I’m going to do next. Flip-Summon ‘Guardian Sphinx’ and return all of your monsters to your hand!

Once again the ’Sphinx’ appeared, and our monsters were surrounded by red light, and once again they disappeared.

Now I can attack you directly, Yami declared, arrogance creeping into his voice once again. ‘Guardian Sphinx’, attack!

“Not so fast!” said Karen, smiling despite the pain that I knew she was feeling.

“Reveal ‘Physical Double’,” Karen declared. Behind her appeared a lump of clay that expanded and reformed into a duplicate ‘Guardian Sphinx’ (ATK: 1700).

“Now I follow up with ‘Staunch Defender’ and ‘Rush Recklessly’, drawing all of your attacks to my ‘Mirage Token’ monster, and raising my monster’s Attack by seven hundred (1700+700=2400).”

‘Curse’ and ‘Spy’ moved to attack Karen’s Token monster and were caught in the ‘Token’’s eye beams (3800+800-2400+1200-2400=1000). Then the ‘Guardian Sphinx’ and its duplicate fired their eye beams at each other. The beams met in midair, and the duplicate’s attack began to overtake the original’s. I released a held breath. I was sure Karen had just won us the duel. Then I saw Yami’s face. He was smiling. There was a flash, and the ‘Sphinx’ disappeared, returned to face-down position. The ‘Token’’s attack sailed over Yami’s head harmlessly, and the ‘Token’, its purpose fulfilled, melted away.

Reveal, said Yami, the Spell card ‘Book of Moon’, flipping my ‘Sphinx’ face-down, negating its attack, and ending my turn.

“I go…then,” said Karen. She was pale and shaking. The effort of creating such a long effect chain had pushed her past her limit, and yet she fought on. Pink smoke poured from the ‘Toon World’ and the ‘Toon Mermaids’ reappeared. “I summon…my monsters,” Karen said stubbornly, “and…I pass.”

“My move,” I said. I wasn’t in much better shape than Karen, but I refused to let Yami cause her another moment of pain. My desire to protect her was the only thing keeping me going. Okay deck, I thought, I know you’ll come through for me. I need a way to turn this duel around, right now!

Beside me appeared the ghostly form of the Soul Guardian, Hiro. He was wearing more modern clothing than he had when we first met: jeans, a t-shirt, and a jacket similar to my old, run-down black one, which I always wore. His face was relaxed, his hands placed casually in the pockets of his jeans. Maybe I can help, He said.

Oh, said Yami, I see that the Soul spirit has finally joined us!

“Wait,” I said. “You mean you can see him?”

“John,” Karen demanded, confused, “who…is that? What’s…going on?”

Huh, Hiro said thoughtfully. Then he shrugged, Oh well, as I was saying, If I’m here, I might as well help out. I don’t know if this will work, but I think we have to try. John, let me lend you my strength. We’ll win this duel together!

“Alright,” I said, smiling and breathing heavily. “And just in time too. I feel like I’m about to pass out.”

Hiro nodded and disappeared, and I suddenly felt renewed. Mine and Hiro’s minds merged into one. I was a new, stronger version of myself. My mind was clear. My strength was returning. I felt more connected to my Soul than ever!

“Yami,” I said, “this is a whole new game, and this time I can’t lose.”

Card of the Day:
Guardian Sphinx
Played by: Yami

There are some great cards played in this chapter, but in a deck like Yami's which can make an opponent wary to attack and prevents them from building up tributes for a bigger threat, there is no monster more dangerous than this one. "Guardian Sphinx" keeps John and Karen off balance for almost the entire chapter, and is the obstacle that they must overcome to win this duel.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment