Sunday, August 31, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Four: Terror of Blackheart - Chapter Four

And now Blackheart can basically resurrect the dead. Yep. I mean, there are serious limits, but it happens. True, his new minions aren't nearly as strong as he is, but the boost that they do receive is pretty scarey. Could you imagine is he fed a hundred people to the Shadows and then did this to them? Or a thousand people?


Chapter Four

Blackheart’s Minions;
Tucker and Amanda vs. One


Tucker


Karen had paired me with Amanda. I’d been John’s friend for years, but I’d never met his youngest cousin before we discovered that she’d received the Soul of Wind and she joined the Duel Force. To be honest, I was worried at the time that she wasn’t a strong enough Duelist, or a grown-up enough person, but John had told me to give her a chance, and she’d proven herself by stepping up big time and beating Karen at the park using some scary combos. Once again, John had been right.

John, my best bud. It was killing me that Blackheart had him. I just had to find Blackheart and get him to release my friend. There was no other option. I think Amanda felt the same way. The girl wasn’t very talkative anyway, but this time, as we walked down a deserted street downtown, I got the feeling that she was less detached and more determined. She wanted her cousin back, and she was determined to make it happen.

We walked for a while. I don’t do well with kids, and we didn’t see anything remarkable enough to start up a conversation, so we just didn’t say anything until, out of nowhere, we both stopped cold and said at the same time, “Do you feel that?”

“You feel it too?” I asked her. “That feeling from the Souls?”

“It’s my cousin’s power,” Amanda said, without a doubt. “I’m not too good with the Soul magic stuff, but I know how John’s power feels when he’s using it.”

“And because Blackheart’s in John’s body,” I said, finishing her thought, “we must be sensing Blackheart, and he’s just ahead!”

This kid’s smart, I thought. I know I’m not really one to talk about smarts, but I’m smart enough to know that this kid’s beyond her years.

We picked up speed, and soon found ourselves face-to-face with a figure. He was stout (that’s how you say somebody’s short and pudgy, right?), but he had an aura around him. There was no mistaking what that aura was.

“You’re not my cousin,” Amanda told the young man accusingly.

“No,” I said, “you’re not. So why the hell do you have his magic?”

But even I’d figured it out already. This guy’d been sent by Blackheart, and he’d been empowered by Blackheart, like what Yami’d done to Karen and her crew, using John’s Soul of Darkness to do it.

“No talking,” the guy said harshly. “My master sent me out to kill any members of the Duel Force that I could find, and I found you. He also made me stronger with his magic. No Duelist can stand up to me anymore.”

He laughed arrogantly, but I ignored him, “And who exactly are you?”

“I used to have a name,” the guy said, “but now I use the name that my master gave me when he resurrected me from the Shadows. He named me One, because I’m his number one servant.”

He gestured with his right hand, and darkness began to surround us, “Beat me in a Shadow Game, or die here, now.”

I looked around. I might have been able to break the Shadow Game spell with my own power as it was cast, if I’d been better at using my power back then, since his power was weaker than mine, but I didn’t, and in seconds we were caught within swirling shadows with no way out.

If this guy was brought back to life by Blackheart, I thought, then there’s no telling how strong he is. This could be one of the most dangerous Duels I’ve ever fought.

“You good, Amanda?” I asked, switching on my Duel Disk.

“Yep,” she answered, readying her Disk as well.

One activated his Duel Disk, smiling arrogantly, “This is my game, so I start things off. I play ‘Allure of Darkness’. I remove ‘Second Goblin’ in my hand from play as I draw two cards.”

He examined his hand, “Next I set a card, and set a monster.”

This can’t be all he has, I thought. He must have something planned, but what could it be?

While I was wracking my brain, Amanda made her move without hesitation, “I summon ‘Harpie Lady 1’ in attack mode. Her own effect makes her stronger (ATK: 1300+300=1600). I also set a card face-down.”

I looked over at Amanda. She looked worried. She also looked a little bit confused, and I remembered something that she’d said during her duel against Karen. She’d said that she didn’t really know anything about any cards that she didn’t use. She was probably worried about her opponent’s hidden cards.

Despite all of that, I knew I could count on Amanda, and it was my turn.

“Draw,” I declared, “and I activate ‘Graceful Charity’.”

I drew three cards and discarded ‘Fireyarou’ and ‘Des Counterblow’ from my hand.

“Next up,” I continued, “I remove ‘Fireyarou’ from play to Special Summon ‘Inferno’,” the living flame appeared at my side, and then disappeared, “and tribute it to summon my favorite card.”

In ‘Inferno’’s place appeared a suave man in a vest with red hair, “I summon my ‘Mr. Volcano’ (ATK: 2100), and because I’m the last player to take his first turn, I can attack your face-down monster!”

‘Mr. Volcano’ snapped his fingers, and One’s monster, the three-eyed, furry ‘Sangan’, appeared just long enough to explode.

“You destroyed my ‘Sangan’,” One explained, “so I get to take a monster from my deck.”

“Oh,” said Amanda, “cool. I might use that thing myself, if I can get one.”

One ignored her as he went through his deck, “I choose to add my ‘Goblin King’ to my hand.”

He shuffled his deck and replaced it.

“I end my turn,” I concluded, finishing my turn with a better idea of my opponent’s plans than I’d had when I’d started.

“Then I reveal,” One declared, “the Spell card ‘Fires of Doomsday’, summoning two Fiend-type ‘Doomsday Tokens’.”

Two living forms of black fire appeared on One’s field (DEF: 0).

“Next I begin my turn,” One continued, as confident as ever, “with ‘Goblin King’.”

A short goblin in royal-looking clothes appeared between the ‘Tokens’.

“My ‘King’ get’s stronger for every other Fiend I control,” One explained, his monster gaining a black aura (ATK: 0 -> 2000). “Also, I play ‘Card Destruction’. We throw out our hands to draw the same number of cards.”

One drew three cards, and Amanda and I each drew four.

“I have that card, too,” Amanda remarked thoughtfully. I looked over my new hand. I hadn’t drawn anything too good, and the cards that I’d intended to use had just been discarded.

“I play ‘Monster Reborn’ to revive the Fiend-type ‘Goblin Elite Attack Force’,” One declared, a group of goblins in steel armor, carrying swords and standing at attention, appeared alongside him. ‘Goblin King’ grew even stronger (2000 -> 3000).

“I attack ‘Mr. Volcano’ and ‘Harpie Lady’ with my two monsters!” One finished.

His ‘Goblin King’ charged at me, raising his scepter, and the troop of goblins charged at Amanda.

“Being attacked is bad,” said Amanda, “so I reveal ‘Waboku’.”

Three blue-robed priests appeared, summoning up a barrier that protected both monsters.

“Thanks,” I told her. “I wouldn’t have been able to stop that.”

“No problem,” she replied, drawing a card, “you know, One, you’re pretty weak for having so many strong cards. I remove ‘Harpie Girl’ from play to summon ‘Garuda the Wind Spirit’,” a bird-headed man appeared at Amanda’s side (ATK: 1600+ 300=1900). “Next,” Amanda continued, “I play ‘Elegant Egotist’ to Special Summon ‘Harpie Sisters’ from my deck.”

Three of Amanda’s wing-armed women, the ‘Harpie Lady Sisters’, sprouted off of the first ‘Harpie’, wearing golden breastplates and carrying electrified whips (ATK: 1950+ 300=2250).

“I play ‘Triangle Ecstasy Spark’,” she continued, “to increase the power of ‘Harpie Sisters’ to 2700.”

Wind tinted with green light swirled around the three-in-one monster, and they rose high into the air (2250 -> 2700).

“I equip ‘Harpie Sisters’ with ‘Fairy Meteor Crush’ and ‘United We Stand’, giving her even more Attack and the ability to deal damage to opponents even when she hits defense mode monsters.”

“That power’s called ‘Piercing’,” I told her.

“Thanks,” she said. “My ‘Sisters’ attack one of your ‘Tokens’.”

“No way,” One remarked, his eyes wide. He braced himself and shielded his face as the ‘Sisters’ formed a triangular energy beam and launched it at the ‘Token’, snuffing it out and causing a huge explosion that blew over One, singeing his clothes (8000+0-5100= 2900/’Goblin King’: 3000-1000=2000).

“I end my turn,” Amanda concluded, and I drew.

“And I finish it,” I declared upon seeing my new card, “by equipping my ‘Mr. Volcano’ with ‘Big Bang Shot’ and ‘Burning Spear’, increasing his Attack by 800, and giving him Piercing as well.”

My monster was surrounded by a fierce, fiery aura (2100+800=2900).

“My monster,” I concluded, “attacks the other ‘Token’.”

‘Mr. Volcano’ snapped his fingers, and a massive stream of flames burst from his hand, incinerating the ‘Token’ and engulfing One completely. The flames dispersed as the remaining monsters, and the Shadows, faded away, and by the time the flames were gone, One was gone as well. We wouldn’t have to worry about him ever again.

“Did he die?” Amanda asked.

“Yeah,” I told her, still blown away by how strong she was, “but he was bad, and it was a Shadow Game that he made, so that means he meant to kill us.”

“So it’s okay?” she asked.

“No,” I said, “but we didn’t have a choice.”

Amanda nodded, but I got the feeling that she didn’t feel any better about the situation than I did.

Card of the Day:
Harpie Lady Sisters
Played by: Amanda

Because Amanda is a little badass.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment