Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #12


---Hearthfire, 2nd, 4E 201---

  Today was an enlightening day. We helped Fastred to realize that she had already found the love she sought, and I made friends with some of the local townspeople, including the innkeeper, who has asked me to investigate the barrow near the town, and Klimmek, Fastred's love, who often travels up the Throat of the World and was able to inform me of some of the more common dangers. Despite this the way was hard, cold, and miserable. Even under a fur cloak I felt the air bite more than once. Mjoll, Odvar and I were forced to repell bears, an Ice Wraith, and a particularly angry Frost Troll, but none were a match for us in the end, and the harsh conditions soon proved to be the greater enemy.
  On the way up the mountain, I read each of ten tablets which are placed in alcoves spaced along the path. From them I learned a bit about the Dragon War, and the founding of the Greybeards, but I wish to do some more research before writing too much here, as all is still not clear to me. From the tablets and the words of the Greybeards themselves, I do know that the Greybeards were founded by an ancient Voice User named Jurgen Windcaller, that the power to use the voice comes from Kyne, or Kynareth, and that my natural ability comes from the blessing of Dragon Blood bestowed upon select few mortals by the Time Dragon, Akatosh, in times of great need.
  I have to wonder, though, out of everyone alive, if the world needs a Dragonborn, why me? Why was I chosen? The last Dragonborn to be chosen by Akatosh was Talos himself, and I am certainly not the great hero that he was. The Greybeards say that they do not know why I was chosen at this time, but that it certainly has something to do with the dragons' return.
  The Greybeards also explained my powers to me. As I guessed, the words that I speak to Shout are in the language of dragons, and the more words I learn the more Shouts I can perform. As Dragonborn I can share knowledge with other Voice Users, or, in the case of dragons, I can take their souls into myself to learn something about a word and come to understand it that way. The Greaybeards taught me more as well. Firstly, that Words of Power come in three parts, and for each part that one knows, the spell becomes stronger. They taught me the second word of the force Shout that I have known since the Watchtower, a Shout that they call Unrelenting Force. They also taught me one word of a Shout called Whirlwind Sprint, which allows me to surge forward several yards all at once.
  To prove myself fully the Greybeards have sent me to recover Jurgen Windcaller's horn from his resting place in a distant burial cairn. I will sleep here in High Hrothgar tonight, check the barrow in town tomorrow morning, head to Riften to receive the second task from Mara, and then take the carriage to Whiterun to give the fragment of Wuthraad to Aela. From there I'm not sure. I'd like to go on to complete the task assigned me today, but fate may have other plans for me.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment