Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #14


---Heartfire, 6th, 4E 201---

  I met with Marcus Jannis today in Falkreath. In all the excitement of yesterday, it slipped my mind to write that the man's personal messenger found me in Whiterun with a letter from Marcus asking to speak to me about Helgen. He thinks that a man named Valerius, a freedom fighter who opposes the Thalmor, has taken up residence in the ruins of the city, he and his men posing as Bandits and he himself living under the alias Val. Marcus gave me tokens to prove my good will and has asked me to return to the forsaken city and speak to Val for him.
  I must say, I am reluctant to return, but this man lost family in the dragon attack. I think I must help him, to atone for the fact that I could do nothing on that day. First, though, I want to go see about the man in the Falkreath jail who is said to have torn a girl apart like an animal. There is something about the story which demands my attention. Could this man be a werewolf who has gone mad or feral, and if so, can I help him to become a man again? I will go to see him in the morning and find out.
  I brought down another dragon today when it attacked Falkreath, this time a cold white and gray dragon with black spikes running the length of its spine. It only breathed cold, and so Mjoll, Odvar and I, and many of the guards, were able to withstand its breath quite well thanks to our Nordic blood. However, this dragon was tougher than the others. As more dragons appear, will they keep getting stronger?
 
---Heartfire, 7th, 4E 201---

  I was right. The man in the jail, named Sinding, is one who has the power of the beast, but lost himself to it. He stole the Ring of Hircine to try to control his transformations, but the hunter Daedra cursed the ring as punishment so that, instead of helping Sinding, the ring made him more wild. It was Hircine, not Sinding, who caused the death of the girl. I agreed to take the ring from Sinding and go hunting through Falkreath Hold for Hircine's aspect so that I might earn an audience with the Prince himself and reverse the curse.
  Hircine ordered me to go to Bloated Man's Grotto, Sinding's sanctuary, and join some of Hircine's other hunter-followers and kill him. I defied the Daedra and turned into the beast, helping Hircine to slay the hunters instead. Hircine was amused by this, saying that I had "turned the hunt upside down". He cleansed the curse from the ring. I tried to return it to Sinding, but he has decided to live away from people in the Grotto. I worry though that Sinding might be too far gone. What if he runs out of prey here? Whiterun and Oakdale are both not too far away. However, Sinding is a man still, and deserves the chance to live, as any man does. After a vote, Mjoll, Odvar and I (Barbas doesn't get to vote, as he doesn't seem to mind killing much of anything) have decided to give him that chance.
  We sleep here tonight, and then we head to Helgen to speak with Valerius before continuing on our journey.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment