Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #13


---Heartfire, 4th, 4E 201---

  It's right about noon. Yesterday, on the way into Riften, the three of us encountered a dragon. It fought us on the road, and thanks to the help of a traveling mage and her dog, and some patroling guards, we brought it down after only a few hours. Needless to say, though, it slowed us down, and we were forced to walk through the night, reaching Riften by four this morning. Rather than get the cart to Whiterun immediately, we took advantage of our second wind and did some crafting and some training. My work in Enchanting and Conjuration is coming along well.
  We also got our next mission from Mara. It will take us all the way to Markarth. Between this and a rumor of a strange man in Falkreath's jail, the three of us (yes, Mjoll intends to accompany us further, something which I must admit I find exciting) have decided to travel once around Skyrim's western border and up to the barrow which houses Windcaller's horn, and then to the ruin where Mjoll lost her favorite sword. She's finally told me the full story of its loss, and I've offered to help her retrieve it.
  But first, to Whiterun, to return the fragment of Wuthraad to its proper place, and to learn if Aela knows any more of the Silver Hand and its movements.

---Heartfire, 5th, 4E 201---

  We arrived in Falreath this afternoon and immediately I was offered a chance to assist one of the townspeople. The blacksmith, Lod, is looking for companionship for he and his young Cyrodiilic apprentice. He has often seen a stray dog on the road and asked if I might go out to the road and try to attract it. I agreed, and I found the dog rather quickly, but to my surprise it talked! The dog claims to be Barbas, the conscience, if you will, of the Daedric Prince of Wishes, Clavicus Vile, who is greatly weakened without Barbas at his side. Barbas asked me to accompany him to Vile's nearest shrine and reunite him with his master. Normally I would want nothing to do with this vicious a Daedric creature, but I was curious, and Vile is, if Barbas speaks the truth, weakened.
  Barbas led us past Helgen and into the mountains into a cave infested with Vampires. They showed no interest in us, but attacked Barbas on sight. More and more I realize that Vile does not want Barbas back. Barbas is naïve, overlooking the evil acts of his beloved master as any dog would.
  I think that, after finding such independence, Barbas reuniting with Vile might weaken him even further. Vile himself practically admitted to this by implying that he wants Barbas dead. So, when Vile offered me a quest to convince him to take Barbas back, I agreed to take the quest, and to take Barbas with me, but I have no intention of returning. Instead, and despite how annoying the talking dog might be, I hope to befriend Barbas and, hopefully, cripple an evil Daedra forever.
  Tomorrow the four of us return to Falkreath to learn what other opportunities it might hold for us, and to tell Lod that he should look for another dog. This one isn't worth his trouble.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment