Monday, August 25, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Two: Reign of the Reaper - Chapter Eight

Not much to say here. Rocky and Kimi are angsty little badasses. The end.

 
Chapter Eight

A Duel of Survival, Part Two


“In case you’re too overwhelmed to count for yourself,” Jock Thug explained, beaming with pride, “I now control four powerful monsters, and one of them is about to grow even stronger!”

He chose a card from his hand, “I equip the first of my ‘Jams’ with ‘United We Stand’, increasing his Attack by eight hundred for every monster I control!”

The blue aura around one of his original ‘Jams’ grew brighter and fiercer (ATK: 2400+(800x4)=5600).

“My lead ‘Jam’ crushes your ‘Soldier of Stone’,” Jock Thug declared, “and the remaining ‘Jam’ monsters finish you off!”

The strongest ‘Jam’ struck my ‘Soldier’, crushing him to rubble, and the remaining ‘Jams’ slammed into my torso, causing me to stumble back, coughing. Jock Thug laughed menacingly, waiting for my Life Points to be depleted, so it was understandable that he was surprised when I not only remained standing, but asked, “Are you finished yet, because I’m anxious to take my turn (LP: 4700-2100=2600).

“What?” my opponent demanded, taken aback.

I smiled, finally in a position to return some of his smug attitude, “Your deck isn’t the only one with a few built-in surprises.”

I gestured toward the battlefield all around us. Gone was the swampy marsh, replaced by an aurora of shimmering white lights. My opponent didn’t say anything, but I could see the question on his face.

“When you Special Summoned your two Tokens,” I explained, “I chained ‘Demise of the Land’, replacing your ‘Wetlands’ field with my ‘Chorus of Sanctuary’, which increases the Defense of every monster in Defense Mode by five hundred.”

I gave him my best smug face, “It’s true, I didn’t see your ‘United We Stand’ coming, but maybe if you hadn’t been so arrogant you would have noticed the change of scenery before you attacked (ATK: 5600-1200=4400/ATK: 2400-1200=700).

“Now let’s carry on on a high note, shall we?” I announced. “I reveal two copies of ‘Rock Bombardment’. I send two Rock monsters from my deck to the Graveyard to deal you one thousand points of damage!”

I discarded my monsters, and two large chunks of rock appeared in the air, shattered into shards, and pelted my opponent, leaving behind cuts in his face and arms, and in his clothes (6500-1000=5500).

“Next,” I continued, “I play ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards,” I drew, “and I play ‘Card Destruction’. We each discard our hands and draw the same number of cards.”

I discarded three monsters and replenished my hand with three new cards. I felt a tingling from the Soul of Earth as I did, and when I looked over my new hand, I sighed with relief. I’d drawn just what I needed.

“Next I play ‘Monster Reincarnation’, discarding ‘Rock-Gun’ to return a monster sent to the Graveyard earlier via ‘Miracle Rupture’ to my hand.”

A card ejected from my Graveyard.

“Now, I remove ‘Destroyer Golem’, ‘The Statue of Easter Island’, ‘Moai Intercept Cannon’, ‘Giant Soldier of Stone’, ‘Alpha the Magnet Warrior’, ‘Millennium Golem’, ‘Stone Dragon’, ‘Medusa Worm’, and ‘Rock-Gun’ from play to Special Summon my most powerful monster!”

As I spoke the monsters I named off appeared and shattered into chunks of rock which merged together, forming a huge, four-legged, wingless dragon which towered over the field, letting loose a truly intimidating roar.

“The Attack of my monster, the mighty ‘Megarock Dragon’,” I explained, “is equal to seven hundred times the number of monsters that I removed from play to create him (ATK: 6900). In case you’re too overwhelmed to count for yourself, that makes him stronger than any of your monsters.”

I made an aggressive gesture, “‘Megarock Dragon’, attack!”

My monster stomped the ground, knocking loose a huge chunk of asphalt which floated into the air and launched at one of the weaker ‘Jams’, a move which would have won me the game if not for a ring of light that appeared just in time to redirect the attack at the stronger ‘Jam’, splattering it across the ground (5500+4400-6900=3000). The ring of light settled on the ground on my opponent’s side of the field, surrounding his remaining monsters protectively.

My opponent looked shaken, but he smiled, “I activate my ‘Pixie Ring’. Now you can’t attack the monster I control with the lowest Attack. And as a nifty side effect, if every monster I control has the same Attack, you can’t attack me at all.”

He laughed and drew his next card, two more monsters appearing beside him.

“I can’t lose,” Jock Thug announced pridefully, “not when I control a never-ending army of monsters. Sooner or later I'll draw another ‘Wetlands’ or ‘United We Stand’, and I’ll win. Why don’t you just save us both some time and give up?”

I shook my head, “I’ll never surrender to someone like you, not when I have someone to protect, and definitely not while I’m winning.”

My opponent was visibly intimidated, a bead of sweat forming on his brow, “I change the ‘Jams’ that were on the field at the beginning of the turn to defense mode, giving them the benefit of your ‘Chorus of Sanctuary’ card.”

Three of the ‘Jams’ changed their posture and were surrounded by a shimmering light (DEF: 500+500=1000).

“Take your turn,” Jock Thug said, “for all the good it’ll do you.”

I did as I was told, looking my opponent in the eye, marveling at the fact that, as skilled as he was, he couldn’t tell that he’d already lost.


Kimi


My Life Points increased due to the effect of my ‘Solemn Wishes’ (7500+500 =8000), just as they would every time I drew cards from now on.

“Attacking me directly is basically useless,” I told my opponent, a bit of my cheekiness returning. “Not only do I increase my Life when I draw, I also increase my Life with the effect of my ‘White Magician’.”

‘Pikeru’ waved her wand, and I was surrounded once again by an wave of light (8000+400=8400).

“Next,” I continued, “I draw again and gain even more Life Points by playing ‘Graceful Charity’.”

I drew three cards, and discarded my ‘Shining Angel’ and her counterpart ‘Happy Lover’ (8400+500=8900).

“Now I remove the two monsters I discarded from play to summon a monster,” a beautiful woman made of pure white light appeared, wearing a flowing dress, “my ‘Soul of Purity and Light’ (ATK: 2000). I change ‘Pikeru’ to Attack Mode (ATK: 1200), and I attack with both of my monsters.”

‘Pikeru’ waved her staff, launching a flare of light from its tip, vaporizing ‘Jinzo’ (8000+500-1200=7300), and ‘Soul of Purity and Light’ raised her hands up above her head, calling down a rain of sparkling orbs of light the size of marbles that pelted my opponent, exploding against him like tiny fireworks (7300-2000=5300).

“I tribute both of my monsters,” I declared, “for my favorite monster, ‘Wingweaver’.”

My two weaker monsters disappeared and were replaced by a six-winged angel with long purple hair, wearing a flowing yellow dress (ATK: 2750).

“I set a card,” I concluded, “and end on a high note.”

But my opponent wasn’t worried. In fact, he was smiling as he drew, “Sorry to disappoint you, girl, but you’ve already lost.”

He selected a card, “I summon the most powerful monster in my deck. Come out, ‘Bat’!”

A monster that looked like a flying robotic probe with bat-like wings and a single lens for an eye appeared. It flapped its wings in a way that was supposed to be threatening, but came off as silly (ATK: 300).

I stared at the minuscule little machine for a few moments, and then I burst out laughing. I couldn’t help it.

“That’s your most powerful monster?” I asked, trying to catch my breath.

“You won’t be laughing soon, girl,” my opponent told me, serious as can be. “I play ‘Machine Duplication’ and ‘Delta Attacker’, summoning two more ‘Bats’ and allowing them to attack directly this turn.”

I was still laughing as two more of the drones appeared alongside the first.

“Next,” my opponent announced, “I play ‘Triangle Power’ and ‘Limiter Removal’. The Attack of my monsters increases by two thousand, and then their attack doubles (ATK: 300 -> 4600 (each)).”

“Say what now?” I asked, stunned, the laughter subsiding.

“My monsters attack,” my opponent commanded, his monsters rising into the air, flying in a triangular formation, “for a total of thirteen thousand eight hundred damage! No matter what you do, you’ll never survive that!”

I smiled, shocked but not defeated, “We’ll see.”

The three ‘Bats’ swerved around my ‘Wingweaver’ and swooped low, skimming the ground before veering upward and toward me, only to be defected by a wall of light that sprung up around me, knocking the assailants away violently.

“What?!” my opponent roared.

“You assumed that I only increase my Life as I battle,” I explained, “but I understand that my Life energy is my greatest weapon in a duel, and I know how to use it. I reveal ‘Wall of Revealing Light’, paying five thousand Life Points to prevent any monster with five thousand Attack points or fewer from attacking me at all (8900-5000=3900). Your monsters were affected by ‘Triangle Power’ and ‘Limiter Removal’. At the end of your turn, your monsters will be destroyed, while my monster remains unharmed.”

My opponent looked shaken, even more so after his monsters exploded in his face. I was in pain, strained from having given up so much Life all at once, but I was handling it, and victory was within my reach.

“Draw,” I declared, light restoring a portion of my lost Life and relieving my pain ever so slightly (3900+500=4400).

I looked over my hand. As strong as my opponent was, his combo, should it fail, left him completely vulnerable. So vulnerable, in fact, that I was about to beat him, and there was nothing he could do about it.


Rocky


“You think you’re invulnerable,” I told my opponent, “but you’re wrong. You rely too much on your Spell and Trap cards. Normally your deck is quick enough that your opponent doesn’t have a chance to exploit that weakness. But I survived what was meant to be your final attack. You’re wide open and you don’t even know it.”

“My ‘Pixie Ring’-.”

“Won’t help you,” I interrupted, “once I destroy it with my ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’.”

I activated my Spell, and a gust of magical wind shattered the magic ring, causing my opponent to falter.

“Now,” I said, “I’m free to attack any one of your monsters that I want, including your monsters in attack mode.”

My opponent said nothing, but the defeat on his face told me that he knew what was coming.

“Go back to your allies in the Order,” I told him, “and let them know that the Duel Force is out of their reach. Make sure they know that not only are we stronger, but as long as we stick together it won’t matter how many of you come for us, we’ll never fall.”

Of course I knew they wouldn’t listen.

“‘Megarock Dragon’,” I commanded, “finish this.”

My monster launched his attack yet again, tearing through one of the ‘Jams’ and carrying through to my opponent, knocking him out cold.


Kimi


“You focus too much on your opponent,” I explained, “and not enough of their monsters, or keeping your own monsters in play.”

My opponent scowled, “If you’d just died when you were supposed to it wouldn’t have mattered.”

“Well, clearly,” I replied. “The point is that I didn’t die, and you have nothing left to fight me with, or even to defend yourself. Not only that, but you’re plenty weak enough for me to beat you in just one more turn.”

I chose a card from my hand, “I summon ‘Agent of Creation – Venus’, using her effect to summon two more monsters in exchange for one thousand Life.”

My monster, a beautiful angel in a flowing brown dress, appeared, glowing brightly. Her light spread, and from it emerged two of the angelic glass orbs, and I shuttered as I gave up more Life (4400-1000=3400), “Come out, ‘Mystic Shine Balls’ (ATK: 1600/500/500).

“My ‘Venus’ and her companions attack you directly,” I declared, “with Wave of Light!”

Light poured from the three monsters, flowing over my opponent and singeing him like a bad sun burn (5300-2600 =2700).

“I finish it,” I declared, “with ‘Wingweaver’, Shining Breeze!”

‘Wingweaver’ flapped her six wings, summoning up a barrage of shimmering feathers that rained down on my opponent. He jerked as if he’d been stabbed, and collapsed.

I looked over at Rocky, and my heart skipped a beat as his monster launched its final attack as well, knocking his opponent to the ground. Our monsters melted into the shadows, just as the shadows themselves parted and faded back into the everyday darkness from which they’d come. I looked into Rocky’s eyes, and I realized that being friends with him wouldn’t be so bad.

Just friends. Really.

Card of the Day:
Bat
Played by: Kimi's Opponent

"Bat" is a weak card, so much so that it hasn't even been release in English for the TCG, but in the deck of Kimi's opponent (AKA the Big Thug) it is deadly, making up the key attacker in a combo with the power to defeat an opponent in one turn. It isn't the most stable combo, but it is one that your opponent is unlikely to see coming.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment