Thursday, August 28, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Three: The Dark Duel Force - Chapter Eleven

Yes, Guardian Ruler is Raphael from the Orichalcos arch of the anime. I like the character, okay?
 
 
Chapter Eleven

The Ultimate Combination of Attack and Defense


“My move,” said Guardian Ruler (LP: 4000). He stared down Lawrence's dragons with absolutely zero concern. I could see in the way that he carried himself, in the way that he didn't even flinch in the presence of the legendary cards, that he had faced down monsters just as powerful before. I noticed that, but it was unclear if Lawrence did. He had a habit of being blinded by his own power. And in a tag Duel like this one, it would be considered table talk to point this out to him.

“I begin my turn," Guardian Ruler announced, "with ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw three cards, and I set three face-down cards and a monster in defense mode. Next I play the Spell card ‘Armory’. I can equip my Equip Spell cards to ‘Armory’, and then move them to my monsters later.”

My eyes narrowed as I came to a realization. Between his name and his opening move I knew exactly what kind of deck Guardian Ruler was using.

“The first card I equip to my ‘Armory’,” Guardian Ruler declared, “is ‘Gravity Axe – Grarl’, letting me summon ‘Guardian Grarl’.”

Guardian Ruler placed a worn out monster card on his Duel Disk, and a large dinosaur with the stance and posture of a gorilla appeared within his ‘Armory’, a semi-circle of weapon racks, one of which held a fierce-looking two-handed axe. ‘Grarl’ took the axe in hand (ATK: 2500+500=3000).

“Good move,” I said, trying not to sweat (LP: 4000), “but it won't be good enough against the two of us. I set a monster of my own, and I end my turn.”

“If that's the best that you can do,” War Ruler told me, frowning, as he drew his cards (LP: 4000), “then you aren’t as good as I’d heard. I begin with the Spell card ‘Reinforcement of the Army’ to add a Warrior monster from my deck to my hand.” He fanned out his deck, picked a card, placed it in his hand, shuffled, and replaced his cards. “Now I summon the monster I chose, the ‘Marauding Captain’, in defense mode.” A steel-armored soldier appeared, a sword in each hand (DEF: 600).

“Now, because of the ‘Captain’’s effect,” War Ruler explained, “I can summon a level four or lower monster from my hand, so I summon my ‘Queen’s Knight’ in attack mode.” A female knight in red armor marked with the four suits found in a deck of cards appeared and raised her sword (ATK: 1500).

“Now,” War commanded, completely ignoring the powerful and menacing ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragons’ that stood at my partner’s side and focusing on my, “I attack with my ‘Queen’s Knight’ against the face-down monster, Royal Slash!”

‘Queen’s Knight’ rushed forward and raised her sword. My monster revealed itself, a giant golden oil lamp. An energy barrier came up around the lamp. ‘Queen’s Knight’ swung her sword, hitting the barrier. She was pushed back as the barrier became charged with energy.

“You attacked my ‘Ancient Lamp’,” I explained. “That means that all of the energy from your attack is reversed, hitting one other monster that you control.”

Energy rippled across the barrier, focused into one point, and then fired at the ‘Marauding Captain’, destroying it. War Ruler seemed unconcerned. “I place two cards face-down,” he concluded “and end my turn.”

“Then it’s time,” said Lawrence, “to let the onslaught begin! I equip the ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ with the Spell card ‘Dragon’s Treasure’, increasing his power (3000+300=3300), and I attack the ‘Guardian Grarl’, Burst Stream of Destruction!”

“Reveal,” Guard countered as the first of Lawrence’s dragons moved to strike, “the Trap card ‘Shadow Spell’!” The dragon inhaled and released its attack, just as a set of chains ensnared him, draining his power (3300-700=2600). ‘Grarl’ leapt straight into the mighty dragon’s beam, dispersing it with his weapon, raised his axe over his head, and swung, decapitating the dragon. It became a cloud of thick smoke and melted away (4000+2600-3000=3600).

“I end my turn,” said Lawrence, not even trying to hide the anger he felt at losing his dragon so easily. Guardian Ruler smiled slightly as he began his turn.

“I draw,” Guard announced, “and I start out by Flip-Summoning ‘Iron Blacksmith Kotetsu’.” A muscular man appeared from within the Shadows, wearing an iron mask and carrying an iron hammer (ATK: 500). “When ‘Iron Blacksmith’ is flipped face-up, I can move any Equip Spell card from my deck to my hand. I choose the powerful ‘Twin Swords of Flashing Light – Tryce’. I play it on the ‘Armory’, and I sacrifice ‘Kotetsu’, to summon the wielder of the swords, ‘Guardian Tryce’.”

A man wearing a decorated yellow vest and yellow gloves appeared, picking up his weapons, a pair of long, sharp, thin-bladed swords, from one of the racks behind him (ATK: 1900-500=1400).

“Next,” said Guard, “I reveal my ‘Shooting Star Bow – Ceal’ and equip it to ‘Tryce’ as well (ATK: 1400-1000=400),” A bow appeared, strapped to ‘Tryce’’s back, and his body and his weapons were wreathed in white light.

“Next” Guard declared, “I reveal the Trap card ‘Reverse Trap’, reversing all attack increases and decreases this turn (‘Grarl’’s ATK: 2000/‘Tryce’’s ATK: 3400). Because ‘Tryce’ bears the ‘Twin Swords of Flashing Light’ he can attack twice. Kill the ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’, Flashing Blade!”

‘Tryce’ leaped up and swung his swords, and there was a flash. ‘Tryce’ landed behind ‘Blue-Eyes’, and the dragon literally fell to pieces (3600+3000-3400-3200).

“‘Grarl’," Guardian Ruler commanded, "kill the ‘Ancient Lamp’, Gravity Slash!”

‘Grarl’ charged forward and raised his axe, bringing it down on the ‘Lamp’, slashing it in half.

“And finally, ‘Tryce’, attack the Spellcaster Duelist,” ‘Tryce’ attacked me at the speed of light. I winced as my Life Points fell (4000-3400=600).

I took a deep breath. “At least it’s my turn now,” I said as ‘Grarl’ and ‘Tryce’ returned to their original Attack values (ATK: 3000/ATK: 400). “I start things off with ‘Monster Reborn’, returning my ‘Ancient Lamp’ to play,” the ‘Lamp’ reappeared, “and I activate its effect, Special Summoning ‘La Jinn the Mystical Genie of the Lamp’!” A stern green genie appeared in a cloud of smoke that came from within the ‘Lamp’ itself (ATK: 1800).

“Now I sacrifice ‘Ancient Lamp’ and ‘La Jinn’ to summon my ultimate monster,” the two monsters disappeared and were replaced by a tall man clad in purple leather, wearing a purple leather wizard’s hood, a pointed purple wizard's hat, and carrying a green staff. “Introducing,” I declared, “my ‘Dark Magician’ (ATK: 2500)!”

My monster spun his staff in his right hand, aiming his left palm at the ‘Guardian Tryce’. “‘Dark Magician’, attack the ‘Guardian Tryce’, Dark Magic!”

“I don’t think so,” said War Ruler, a smile on his face. “Go, ‘Kunai with Chain’,” a boomerang attached to a chain appeared in the ‘Queen’s Knight’’s hands (ATK: 1500+500=2000). She threw the boomerang at ‘Dark Magician’. It circled him, wrapping him with the chain. ‘Queen’s Knight’ pulled, and ‘Dark Magician’ fell to his knees (DEF: 2100).

“Alright,” I said, starting to feel mildly exasperated, “I set a card and end my turn.”

“Which makes it my turn again,” said War Ruler as he drew, “and I begin with the trap card ‘Good Goblin Housekeeping’. I draw one card and place ‘Jack’s Knight’ from my hand at the bottom of my deck. I also summon ‘King’s Knight’, and because he and ‘Queen’s Knight’ are on the field together I can Special Summon ‘Jack’s Knight’ from my deck via ‘King’s Knight’’s effect.”

A bearded male knight in orange armor appeared (ATK: 1600). He planted his sword in the ground, and a third knight appeared in blue armor at his side (ATK: 1900).

“Now,” said War, “I equip my ‘Queen’s Knight’ with ‘Legendary Sword’ (ATK: 2000+300=2300) and I’ll have her attack your ‘Dark Magician’.”

“No you won’t,” I countered, “because I have Trap cards too. Reveal ‘Magical Hats’!” ‘Dark Magician’ disappeared and four large black silk hats appeared in his place. “One of these hats hides the ‘Dark Magician’; you just have to guess which one.”

“’Queen’s Knight’, attack the hat on the middle right,” War declared without hesitation. ‘Queen’s Knight’ pulled on the now-free ‘Kunai with Chain’, catching the boomerang in her left hand as the chain landed draped over her shoulder. With a flick of her wrist she let the boomerang fly, piercing the empty hat. The boomerang curved back around and returned to its source.

“In that case,” said War, “I set a card for later. Turn end.”

“There won’t be a later for you,” said Lawrence, “because I plan to end this duel this turn! Activate ‘Monster Reborn’, summoning ‘Paladin of White Dragon’ from my Graveyard.” The white dragon rider returned. “Sacrifice ‘Paladin of White Dragon’ again to summon my third ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ to the field!”

The ‘Paladin’ disappeared almost as soon as he had appeared, giving way to Lawrence’s final ‘Blue-Eyes’.

“And now,” Lawrence exclaimed, eagerness in his voice, “I activate my key card, ‘Dragon’s Mirror’, removing ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ on the field and two ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragons’ in the Graveyard from play to summon my most powerful card! Dark Duel Force, cower in fear,” the ‘Blue-Eyes’ in play sprouted two more heads and roared, “of the ‘Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon’!”

Card of the Day:
Dark Magician
Played by: Monty

We don't get a lot of Monty in these books, and to be fair, his "Dark Magician" doesn't accomplish much this chapter, but still, it's probably the most impressive single monster in the duel so far, so here it is. This is specifically Monty's "Dark Magician", with this specific art. If, say, Yugi's "Dark Magician" were to show up later, it might be the Card of the Day, but with its own art, despite that I try not to feature the same monster here twice.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment