Friday, August 22, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book One: Gather the Duel Force - Chapter Twenty-Two

Continuing with the really strong Shonen themes present in the later chapters of this book we now have the rematch between the heroes and the enemies who completely outclassed them a short time ago, where the heroes suddenly do much better thanks to something that they recently learned.

 
Chapter Twenty-Two

Duel Force vs. The Order;
Round Two


“This is your last warning,” said Karen. “We have a limited amount of magical energy, and we don’t know how much will be needed to open the doors. I’d rather not waste any on you. Leave now, and we’ll let you be. Stay and we won’t hold back. You four will die.”

“There is no way I’m letting your group get their hands on the Souls,” I replied fiercely, feeling my darker side ebbing up in the back of my mind as I anticipated the coming conflict, “and I know my friends are with me. We’re in this until the end.”

I hardened my features and clenched my fists. I imagined the shadows around me deepening and shifting toward me. I looked Karen in the eyes, “So, unless you have more to say, let’s get this started. It’s really hot out here.”

“Alright,” said Karen, annoyance apparent in her voice, “if that’s how you want to play. Just remember, you were warned. Several times”

“This time I’ll make the first move,” I said, giving her no chance to argue. I drew.

“I start out with ‘Cannon Soldier’ in attack mode (ATK: 1400),” I began. “Next I place one card face-down and end my turn.”

“Then it’s my turn,” said Karen, clearly not impressed. “I begin with the Spell card ‘Graceful Charity’, drawing three cards and then discarding two. Next I play the Spell, ‘Vengeful Bog Spirit’. As long as this card remains face-up on the field, no monster can attack on the turn that it is summoned. I also activate ‘Toon World’, paying one thousand Life Points (8000-1000=7000) to do so, allowing me to summon my Toons.”

The green book appeared, much to my dissatisfaction, and spewed pink smoke, “Activate ‘Monster Reborn’ to summon a monster from the Graveyard, my ‘Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon’!”

The smoke cleared, and there it was, Karen’s strongest Toon, already, in only the second turn (ATK: 3000).

“Finally I summon 'Toon Mermaid’ in attack mode, play a card face-down, and activate ‘Mirage of Nightmare’ to end my turn.”

Another of Karen’s Toons appeared, worrying me even more.

She isn’t wasting time, I thought. She wasn’t kidding when she said she wouldn’t be pulling any punches.

I drew, and Karen drew for the effect of ‘Mirage of Nightmare’. My hand was pretty good, but I was already seriously outgunned. If things didn’t go just right, the next couple turns could end very badly for me. Luckily, I’d just drawn the one card that guaranteed that things were about to go very, very well.

“For my turn,” I declared, a smug grin on my face, “I reveal ‘Limiter Removal’, doubling the Attack of my ‘Cannon Soldier’ until the end of the turn (1400x2=2800). Next I reveal ‘Heavy Storm’, destroying all Spell and Trap cards on the field, including ‘Toon World’ and all the Toons along with it!”

Around Karen and I rose a huge gale force wind. Karen’s cards shuttered. I couldn't help it, I grinned from ear to ear. I'd hoped to draw 'Heavy Storm' during this duel, but I'd never dreamed that I would draw it and secure my advantage so early. I felt that I deserved to be a little smug.

“It won’t work,” Karen said, equally smug. “Reveal ‘Emergency Provisions’, sending ‘Toon World’, ‘Mirage of Nightmare’, and ‘Vengeful Bog Spirit’ to the Graveyard to gain three thousand Life Points (7000+3000=10,000). And because my ‘Toon World’ was sent to the Graveyard, but not destroyed, my Toons already on the field retain what magic they've already sapped from that other realm, and remain on the field.”

“But I can still attack,” I said, more than a little disappointed, but still happy that I’d prevented more Toons from being summoned. “‘Cannon Soldier’, attack the mermaid with Cannon Barrel.”

Energy built in the barrel of my ‘Soldier’’s cannon and fired, the blast overtaking the mermaid and blowing her away (10,000+1400-2800=8600).

“Now,” I said, “because ‘Limiter Removal’ destroys the monsters it affects at the end of the turn, I activate ‘Dimensionhole’, removing my ‘Cannon Soldier’ from play until my next Standby Phase. I place one card face-down, and summon ‘Gemini Elf’ in attack mode,” two beautiful elven women appeared (ATK: 1900), “and end my turn.”

“Then it’s my turn again,” said Karen, her face twisting into a wicked smile. “One face-down card, and I attack ‘Gemini Elf’ (8600-500=8100), Burst Stream attack!”

I couldn’t help but smile. After all, I had a plan, and it was all about to come together.


Sarah


“I’ll start things off,” said Monty, the same look of sadness hidden behind exhilaration present in his eyes as last time. “I Begin with a set monster in defense mode, and two cards face-down.”

“Then here goes,” I said forcefully, trying to project more confidence than I actually felt. “I start out with my ‘Graceful Charity’ card, allowing me to draw three cards and discard two cards.”

As you might have guessed, I did as the card said, sending ‘Lekunga’ and ‘Sinister Serpent’ to the Graveyard.

I have a plan, I thought, but against a master of tricks and combos, I have no idea if it will work. Monty might see it coming.

“Remove ‘Lekunga’ from play,” I declared, “to Special Summon my ‘Aqua Spirit’!”

Bubbles began to rise from the ground in front of me. Thousands of bubbles appeared and popped, revealing my favorite monster, a blue-skinned water sprite with delicate blue hair, wearing a pale blue dress (ATK: 1600).

“Next I play ‘Rod of Silence’, equipped to my ‘Aqua Spirit’, letting me Normal Summon ‘Guardian Kay’este’, and I play ‘Tailor of the Fickle’ to equip her ‘Rod’ to her,” a mermaid with a long, elegant tail and long green hair appeared, holding a blue rod.

“A monster equipped with ‘Rod of Silence’ is immune to Spells," I explained, "and thanks to ‘Kay’este’’s ability she disappears like a mirage whenever an attack targets her. She is the ultimate immortal monster."

I gave that a minute to sink in before I continued, “Now, ‘Aqua Spirit’, attack the face-down monster, Magical Wave!”

‘Aqua Spirit’ raised her hands, and a jet of water burst forth. It was seconds from hitting the face-down card when the monster revealed itself, a large golden oil lamp.

“You attacked ‘Ancient Lamp’,” Monty said, “while it was face-down in defense mode (DEF: 1200). This activates my ‘Lamp’’s effect, redirecting your attack at another of your monsters.” A barrier came up around the ‘Lamp’. The water hit and bounced off, flying straight at ‘Kay’este’.

“I already told you,” I said, “my ‘Kay’este’ is immune to attacks.” ‘Kay’este’ disappeared, and the water hit the sand where she had just been. Once the attack had ended, she reappeared, completely unharmed.

“Since I couldn’t hit you with my attack this turn,” I said, “I’ll have to settle for setting a card. Go.”

Monty drew. His expression was more guarded now, impossible to read. “I begin my turn by activating the second effect of my ‘Lamp’,” he explained, “summoning ‘La Jinn the Mystical Genie of the Lamp’.”

From the lamp emerged a muscular green genie, his arms crossed over his chest (ATK: 1800).

“Next I sacrifice ‘La Jinn’ and ‘Ancient Lamp’," Monty continued, "to summon the ultimate wizard, ‘Dark Magician’.” The purple wizard made his first appearance of the duel on only the third turn, brandishing his staff (ATK: 2500). Good thing this time I was prepared for him.

“Next,” said Monty, “I play a familiar Spell card, my ‘Dark Magic Attack’, destroying ‘Rod of Silence’ and the face-down card.”

“No!” I cried as my cards were destroyed by the magician‘s attack.

“Now,” Monty continued, “attack ‘Aqua Spirit’ with Dark Magic Attack!” The magician summoned a sphere of energy to the tip of his staff and fired at my monster. The ‘Aqua Spirit’ knew she was no match and didn’t even try to resist. The sphere exploded, and smoked billowed outward from the impact point. When it cleared, my monster was still there, completely unharmed.

“How?” Monty asked, the smallest hint of shock leaking into his expression.

“I used my face-down ‘Woboku’,” I answered. “I activated it when you activated your Spell card, protecting me and my monsters from battle damage until the end of the turn, making your attack meaningless.”

Monty smiled, “That’s pretty good. I haven’t faced an opponent as strong as you in a while. But remember, girl, I’m not one to be stopped by one impressive move. The only way for you to win this duel is for you to defeat me, a task that is still beyond you.”

“We’ll see,” I said. But I wasn’t nearly as confident as I sounded. In fact, I was scared for my life.


Jen


“I move,” said Lawrence, wasting no time on idle banter, staring Tucker and I down with a stern gaze. “I begin with the Spell card ‘Super Rejuvenation’. At the end of the turn, I draw a number of cards equal to the number of dragons that I discard or sacrifice this turn. Next I activate ‘Graceful Charity’, drawing three cards and discarding two, both of which are dragons. Two of three specific dragons, actually. Next I summon ‘The Light - Hex-Sealed Fusion’, and activate ‘Dragon’s Mirror’, removing two ‘Blue-Eyes’ in my Graveyard and ‘The Light’ on my field from play to Fusion Summon ‘Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon’!”

Lawrence smiled a wide, wicked smile as ‘The Light’, a seemingly random jumble of metal and flesh, appeared on his side. A burst of light flashed from it, taking on the faded a flickering form of the ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’. Two more dragon’s appeared at its sides, and before Tucker and I even had time to react, the three monsters merged into the three headed dragon that had already defeated me once before. I was determined not to lose to it again, but at the same time, I didn't know how it would be possible to win.

The dragon glared at us. It was eager to attack at the first opportunity (ATK: 4500).

“Next,” said Lawrence, “I play ‘White Dragon Ritual’, sacrificing the level four ‘Cave Dragon’ in my hand to summon ‘Paladin of White Dragon’.”

On Lawrence’s field, alongside the ‘Ultimate Dragon’ appeared a man in gleaming white armor, carrying a sword, riding on the back of a small white dragon (ATK: 1900). “Now,” said Lawrence, “I sacrifice my ‘Paladin’ to summon from my deck the final ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’!”

‘Paladin’ disappeared in a burst of light, and was replaced by the gleaming white dragon. It looked over at its three-headed counterpart and roared, and the ‘Ultimate Dragon’ roared back. Then the dragons turned toward Tucker and I and roared as one, inspiring my knees to shake.

“I set a card,” said Lawrence, “and end my turn. And because I either discarded or sacrificed four dragons this turn, I draw four cards.”

I looked over a Tucker. He seemed afraid. He was shaking as he began his turn. He drew and said, “I summon ‘UFO Turtle’ in defense mode.” A green turtle with a flying saucer for a shell appeared (DEF: 1200). “End turn.”

And that’s when I saw it. Tucker smiled. He wasn’t afraid. He hadn’t been shaking out of fear, he’d been shaking out of anticipation. Tucker had been looking forward to this. He wanted to fight the dragon!

As I drew for my turn, I couldn’t help but feel the same way.

“Let’s start this off strong,” I said. “I summon my ‘Larvae Moth’, defense mode, and equip it with ‘Cocoon of Evolution’.” The green, spiked worm appeared, and was encased in a thick cocoon, strongly mounted to the ground (DEF: 2000).

“Finally I equip the ‘Cocoon’ with ‘Heart of Clear Water’," I announced, "making it immune to Battle Damage and the effects of Spell cards.”

It was all I could do. Not that it wasn't a pretty effective play. In fact, I wasn’t worried about myself as much as I was Tucker. His monster had a pretty powerful effect, but could it possibly be enough to protect him from the attack of Lawrence’s dragons? We would have to wait and see, because I just didn't have the resources to protect us both. Tucker was going to have to take care of himself.

Card of the Day:
Heavy Storm
Played by: John

 Not much happens during the duel segments in this chapter aside from setup, but we see some new cards from the members of the Duel Force, and no new card has more impact than this one, which has the potential to put an end to Karen's entire strategy in an instant.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment