Friday, September 5, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Six: The Great Duel Force Tournament - Chapter Six

In this chapter, bugs kill robots, Monty is utterly defeated by a young girl, and Hiro is freaking scarey strong. Enjoy!


Chapter Six

Three for One


Jen


I was up next against my sister. Surprisingly, I’d never dueled her before. On top of that, I’d only seem her duel a couple of times, and she’d definitely revamped her deck for the tournament. I knew why I’d never shown much interest in her as a Duelist. Until recently I’d never really considered that she might be any good. Now, though it was clear that her skills as a strategist were comparable to mine. She was just a little more stubborn about what cards she used. As we stepped up and faced each other, I was banking on the fact that that alone gave me an edge over her. She was twirling her hair and absentmindedly looking up at the open, cloudy sky. I couldn’t tell if she was looking forward to our duel or not.

“You ready?” I asked.

“Any time,” she replied, looking me in the eyes, foregoing her usual ditz act. “After all, I’ve wanted to prove myself in a one-on-one duel against you for a while now.”

“Then I won’t keep you waiting,” I told her, a little surprised, and impressed, by how forceful her words had been. “I start out with one of my most powerful cards, the ‘Ultimate Insect LV 3’, defense mode.” A worm-like insect the size of a large dog appeared (DEF: 700).

“I’ll protect my monster,” I concluded, “with two face-down cards, and I end my turn.”

“Get ready, Sis,” said Kris, “because here I come, and I don’t plan on taking things quite so slow myself. I summon the warrior mech ‘Roboyarou’ in attack mode.” A robotic man in blue armor appeared, carrying a double-ended spear (ATK: 900). He raised his spear and lunged at my monster, but moments before his attack would have hit, he found himself floating in the air, unable to move. My ‘Ultimate Insect’ rose into the air a moment later.

“Reveal,” I declared, “the Trap card ‘Zero Gravity’, changing your ‘Robo’ to defense mode (DEF: 450) and changing my ‘Insect’ to attack mode (ATK: 1400).

“Then I end my turn here,” Kris replied with a grimace.

“Then I draw,” I declared, “and my ‘Ultimate Insect’ evolves into his ‘LV 5’ form.” The larval insect grew until he was a giant beetle, several feet taller than me, with a silvery shell, like metallic armor, and long spear-like upper legs (ATK: 2400).

“When ‘LV 5’ is summoned by the effect of ‘LV 3’,” I explained, “He gains the ability to release powerful corrosive poison spores from glands in the wings hidden under his shell. These poison spores lower the Attack and Defense of all enemy monsters by five hundred points while my insect remains on the field.”

“But my monsters are machines,” Kris argued. “Poison won’t affect them.”

Corrosive poison will,” I countered, pointing at her monster. She looked down at the crouching ‘Roboyarou in time to see several patches of rust begin to form on his armor (DEF: 450-500=0).

“Of course,” I said, “my attack won’t hurt you while your monster’s in defense mode, but it’s worth it to destroy your monster.” I didn’t even have to declare the attack. With a motion of my hand, the insect that was my Soul brought to life pierced the robot, reducing it to pieces of debris.


Monty


My duel was against Amanda, the great unknown among members of the Duel Force. The only time that I’d ever even been around when Amanda had dueled was when she, Rocky and Kimi had dueled against me, Karen and Lawrence in the park in the neighborhood in which we now all lived, and I’d had my own duel to worry about back then. I knew Amanda was strong, but that she didn’t spend much time learning the game outside of the cards in her deck. I was admittedly curious about Amanda’s strength, and so I was anxious to face her in a duel and see it firsthand.

“I’m going first,” Amanda announced zealously as soon as we took our positions. “I place a card face-down and end my turn.”

“Alright,” I said. I have to hit her hard and fast. If I hesitate, there’s no way I’ll last long enough to see what this girl can do. “I activate ‘Spell Economics’,” I declared. “While this card is in play, I don’t pay Life Points to activate the costs of Spell cards. Spell cards like ‘Dark Magic Curtain’, which summons from my deck the 'Dark Magician'.”

A sinister-looking archway appeared, closed off by a dark curtain. The curtain parted, and the purple-clad sorcerer emerged, brandishing his staff, as the archway faded away (ATK: 2500).

“I attack directly,” I commanded, “and I set two cards face-down to end my turn.” Holograms of two face-down cards appeared below my sorcerer as he raised his staff, summoning up an orb of green and black light, which he flung at my opponent, hitting her square in the chest (8000-2500=5500). She didn’t react in the slightest.

“My turn, right?” Amanda asked. I nodded and she said, “Okay, I start out with the Field Spell ‘Harpie’s Hunting Ground’.”

The world around us changed, becoming an open field surrounded by rocks and trees which would make for great vantage points from which flying creatures could launch their attacks.

“While I control this card,” Amanda explained, “my Winged-Beasts gain two hundred Attack, and every time I summon a monster named ‘Harpie Lady’ or ‘Harpie Lady Sisters’, I get to destroy one Spell or Trap card on the field. So I summon ‘Harpie Queen’, which is named ‘Harpie Lady’ for the purpose of card effects, destroying the face-down card on the right.”

The elegant, emerald-haired, white feathered bird woman ‘Harpie Queen’ appeared, crushing my ‘Magic Cylinder’ with her talons before shuffling backward through the air and landing at Amanda’s side (ATK: 1900+200=2100).

“Next,” Amanda announced, “I activate ‘Elegant Egotist’, summoning ‘Harpie Lady Sisters’ from my deck.” Three more bird women wearing golden armor appeared, crushing my second card, ‘Magical Hats’, before joining their queen (ATK: 1950+200 =2150).

“Finally,” said Amanda, “I discard a second ‘Harpie Queen’ to search my deck for another copy of ‘Harpie’s Hunting Ground’, destroying the current one to play the new one.”

I was confused, but I ignored the strangeness of Amanda’s move, focusing instead on her next one.

“Now I activate ‘Double Summon’,” Amanda continued, “and I tribute my two monsters to summon ‘Simorgh, Bird of Ancestry’. When only wind monsters are used as tributes to summon him, I can return two of my opponent’s cards to his hand.” A massive golden-feathered bird appeared, flapping his wings, blowing my ‘Dark Magician’ and ‘Spell Economics’ away. The massive bird squawk/roared (ATK: 2900 +200=3100).

“To finish it,” Amanda concluded, “I reveal ‘Hysteric Party’, discarding ‘Harpie Lady 1’ to revive every monster named ‘Harpie Lady’ in my Graveyard.” Two ‘Harpie Queens’ and the red-haired ‘Harpy Lady 1’ appeared, “and just for the fun of it, I’ll destroy ‘Harpie’s Hunting Ground’ with its own effect,” ‘Harpie Queen’ crushed the hologram of Amanda’s card, and the arena returned to normal, “since ‘Harpie Lady 1’ raises the attack of my monsters with her own effect anyway (ATK: 1900+300=2200 (x2)/1300+300=1600/2900+300=3200). I attack with all of my monsters for the win.”

The army of monsters attacked in a flurry of claws and feathers, leaving me utterly stunned. Amanda didn't need to know the other cards in the game, because she just moved her opponent's cards out of the way. She was legitimately powerful as well to boot. Amanda had real power, power which I doubted I could ever overcome.


Jen


“Losing my ‘Roboyarou’ is nothing,” Kris insisted, “because during my turn, I reveal ‘Chain Material’. This turn when I conduct a Fusion Summon, I can fuse monsters from my hand, field, deck, or Graveyard, but the resulting monster is destroyed at the End Phase. So I fuse ‘Robolady’ in my deck with the components of the destroyed ‘Roboyarou’ to summon ‘Super Roboyarou’.” A pink-armored female robot appeared, and the scattered components of ‘Roboyarou’ rose into the air, merging with her armor. Together the two monsters formed a buffer, darker-skinned ‘Roboyarou’ with pink armor over his shoulders. His armor began to rust (ATK: 1200-500=700). I found Kris’ move interesting, since, as powerful as ‘Chain Material’ was it was also risky enough not to use lightly.

She must really need ‘Super Roboyarou’ for something, I decided.

“I won’t let you keep that monster,” I declared. “I can’t see you going through so much to summon it if it couldn’t hurt me, so I give up my next Draw Phase to activate ‘Offerings to the Doomed’.” The ground opened up and mummy wraps reached up from within the opening, reaching for the machine.

“Reveal,” Kris countered, “the Trap card ‘Spell Shield Type-8’, negating and destroying your card.” A pod, like a closed bud of a metallic flower, appeared floating between ‘Super Roboyarou’ and the mummy wraps and spun, deflecting them.

“I activate ‘Dimensionhole’,” Kris continued, “removing my ‘Super Roboyarou’ from play until my next Standby Phase, and avoiding ‘Chain Material’’s negative effect. I also summon ‘Fusilier Dragon the Dual Mode Beast’ in defense mode.” A red mechanical dragon with tank treads appeared. His neck and tail retracted into his body, forming a tank with the face of a dragon (DEF: 1400-500=900).

“Well then, my turn begins,” I announced, “and my ‘Insect’ evolves to its final form.” The ‘Ultimate Insect’’s armor turned rainbow colors, and he opened his shell, spreading his translucent wings (ATK: 2600). This increased the flow of spores, and their effectiveness increased (1400-700=700).

With ‘Super Roboyarou’ out of my reach, I thought, I’ll have to settle for attacking whatever I can.

“I attack,” I commanded, and the insect crushed the tank like it was nothing.

“I draw,” said Kris, and the air rippled as the ‘Super Roboyarou’ reappeared (ATK: 1200-700=500). “I set two cards, and I end my turn.”

I drew. This duel had been pretty close so far, but it was about to start leaning in my favor. “I summon ‘Petit Moth’, and I activate ‘Double Summon’, tributing my ‘Moth’ for the powerful ‘Grasschopper’!” a green worm appeared, and then disappeared, replaced by a towering green praying mantis with razor sharp sickle-like arms (ATK: 2350).

“‘Grasschopper’ attacks ‘Super Roboyarou’,” I commanded, and the mantis swung his arms, but before the blade could hit, the machine disappeared, and the blade hit Kris instead (8000-2350=5650).

“I activate ‘Cybernetic Zone’,” Kris explained. “My monster returns at the End Phase with double the attack, but it dies during my Standby Phase.”

“Then I attack directly with my ‘Ultimate Insect’,” I declared, and the insect stabbed with its claws (5650-2600=3050), “and I end”

“My monster returns,” Kris announced as her mech reappeared at her side. She drew, and I expected her machine to be destroyed, but instead she activated her face-down card, “I reveal ‘Solomon’s Lawbook’, skipping my Standby Phase, keeping my monster safe from destruction (1200x2=2400-700=1700).

“Now,” Kris declared, “I attack ‘Ultimate Insect’ with ‘Super Roboyarou’.” Any other Duelist might have been confused at this point, but I knew what was coming. The machine raised his weapon and lunged, activating his effect and increasing his Attack by one thousand (2700). “I activate ‘Limiter Removal’,” Kris announced, “doubling my monster’s Attack, but destroying him at the end of the turn.” The ‘Roboyarou’’s Attack rose again (2700x2=5400), and he cleaved my monster in half.

“It doesn’t do you any good,” I argued. “Your monster dies at the end of the turn, leaving you wide open.”

“Not true,” my sister countered. “I return my ‘Super Roboyarou’ to my Fusion Deck to summon his counterpart, ‘Super Robolady’.” The two monsters separated and reformed into a similar female robot with pink armor and blue shoulders (ATK: 1200). “I equip her with ‘Fusion Weapon’, increasing her Attack by fifteen hundred!” The monster’s free arm extended out, becoming a black and red beam launcher (ATK: 1200+1500=2700). Her monster was now the strongest monster on the field, and stronger than any monster that I would be able to summon any time soon.

I smiled, Everything is going according to plan.

“My turn,” I began. “I’ve been waiting for you to summon a monster stronger than mine for a while now, so I could activate this, my ‘Hammer Shot.” An invisible force crushed the ‘Super Robolady’, smashing her to pieces.”

“No way!” said Kris, shocked, “I was sure I had you.”

“Sorry Sis,” I said, “but I know as well as anyone that Insects have lower Attack by nature than many types of monsters, so I came prepared with ‘Ultimate Insect’, and a Spell to get rid of any monster strong enough to kill it. Now, I summon ‘Insect Knight’,” an insect carrying a sword and shield, it's exoskeleton shaped like armor, appeared at my side (ATK: 1900), “and I attack.”

The ‘Knight’ lunged forward, my 'Grasschopper' at its side, and the two monsters attacked together, slashing Kris across the chest, “That’s game.”


Kris and I walked together, without a word, to the waiting room, listening as the announcer spoke the names of the next four Duelists: John’s mom, my Aunt Shannon, vs. Kimi, her old student, and Jenna vs. the mysterious and powerful Hiro. All eyes, even those of Kimi and her mentor, were on Jenna and Hiro as they began their duel. Everyone was eager to see Hiro’s power for themselves, especially me, since, if he won, I’d be fighting him next.


Jenna


I was aware that all eyes were on me as I stepped up to face my opponent. Everyone wanted to analyze Hiro’s strength. I was the guinea pig, in an experiment where the guinea pig wasn’t expected to survive. But I didn’t mind. I was still determined to prove myself to John and the others, and I’d gladly take Hiro on a hundred times if it meant a chance to show them what I could do.

“My move first,” I said firmly, trying to analyze my opponent’s emotional state, despite his stoic expression. “I play ‘Painful Choice’. I choose five cards-.”

“You don’t need to explain,” Hiro interrupted, polite but stern, as if he didn’t want his time wasted. I nodded, a little annoyed, and thumbed through my deck. I should pick a variety of cards so I’ll have more options later, I decided. I took my five cards and placed them on the Duel Disk. Holograms of those cards appeared. They were ‘Necklace of Command’, ‘Hammer Shot’, ‘Dark Cat with White Tail’, ‘Mudora’, and ‘Skelengel’.

“Add the ‘Skelengel’ card to your hand,” Hiro commanded, and I did, discarding the rest.

“Next up I play ‘Graceful Charity’,” I declared, “letting me draw three cards, and then discard ‘Aitsu’ and ‘Koitsu’ from my hand. Next I discard ‘Skelengel’ to activate ‘Monster Reincarnation’, returning ‘Mudora’ in my Graveyard to my hand. I summon it now in attack mode.” An Egyptian man in a golden mask, wearing white garbs under gold dressings and carrying a sword, appeared wreathed in a golden light. “My Fairy monster ‘Mudora gains two hundred extra Attack,” I explained, “for every Fairy in my Graveyard (ATK: 1500+600=2100). I place a card face-down, and pass.”

Hiro drew his card in calm silence and declared, “I activate ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two cards.” He drew, and continued, “I place two cards of my own face-down and summon ‘Majestic Mech – Ohka’, attack mode.”

A brilliant light appeared, filling Hiro’s field, and from it emerged an angelic beast made of a sort of white crystal ceramic that clinked when it moved. Its limbs were joined with its body via bunches of crystal shards packed together (ATK: 2400).

“When ‘Ohka’ is summoned without tribute,” Hiro explained, “it’s destroyed at the end of the turn, so I waste no time and I attack.”

“Reveal,” I countered, “the Trap card ‘Draining Shield’, blocking your attack and increasing my Life Points.”

“From my hand,” Hiro said, “I activate the Spell card ‘Trap Booster’, discarding a card to activate ‘Seven Tools of the Bandit’, paying one thousand Life Pints to negate and destroy your Trap (8000-1000=7000).”

‘Ohka’’s attack continued through unhindered, destroying my monster (8000+2100-2400=7700), and then its crystalline body shattered.

“My turn,” I declared. I was injured, but my opponent had left himself without defenses. If I moved quickly, I’d be able to hit him directly.

Hiro, however, had other plans.

“Reveal,” Hiro announced as soon as I drew my card, “the Permanent Trap ‘Synthetic Seraphim’. While I control this card, when a Counter Trap is activated, I get to summon one ‘Seraphim Token’.”

I took a deep, careful breath. Hiro was good for sure, making sure that he could summon more monsters quickly, but I still had a few tricks of my own up my sleeve.

“I summon a second ‘Mudora’ from my hand,” I declared.

“No you don’t,” Hiro countered. “I activate ‘Solemn Judgment’, paying half of my remaining Life Points (7000/2=3500) to negate the summoning of your monster and destroy it.” My ‘Mudora’ faded from the field as quickly as he had appeared.

“Then I activate ‘Monster Reborn’,” I continued, “reviving any monster I choose. And I choose your ‘Ohka’!” A glowing red ankh appeared, but a moment later a spherical ceramic angel lined with green crystals appeared, flying on tiny wings. It shone a green light that washed the ankh away.

“I discard ‘Herald of Green Light’ and a second Fairy monster from my hand,” Hiro explained, “to negate and destroy an activated Spell. Also, don't forget that when ‘Judgment’ activated, I summoned a ‘Token’.” A small mechanical ceramic angel appeared at Hiro’s feet (DEF: 300).

Hiro drew, but I was almost too paralyzed to notice. “I activate ‘Card of Sanctity’,” he announced. “We each draw until we hold six cards.” He drew, selected a card without hesitation, and played it, “I activate ‘Celestial Transformation’, summoning a Fairy from my hand.” A beastly creature with a hole in its chest, ringed by orange crystal, appeared, and it and the ‘Token’ disappeared, “and I tribute my ‘Token’ and my ‘Banisher of the Radiance’ to summon ‘Majestic Mech – Goryu’!” A ceramic and crystal dragon, like a draconic version of the beastly ‘Ohka’, appeared hovering in the air above Hiro, shining brightly (ATK: 2900).

“Now I play my own ‘Monster Reborn’ to revive ‘Ohka’ from the Graveyard,” Hiro continued, “and I equip my ‘Goryu’ with the Spell card ‘Megamorph’, doubling his size and power. Both of my monsters attack for the win.”

I couldn't move. I was too surprised to. I had been blocked at every turn, and now the duel was over before it had even really begun.

Card of the Day:
Ultimate Insect
Played by: Jen

Because Jen.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment