Monday, September 1, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Four: Terror of Blackheart - Chapter Fourteen

I mentioned in last chapter's commentary that the DDF is as strong as before. This short arch where they return mostly serves to close the book on them once and for all, and to show how much the real DF has improved in a short time. Well, there is one more purpose, but we'll see that once Karen has her rematch with Fiend Ruler.


Chapter Fourteen

Round Two


Karen


“That’s not possible,” said Beast Ruler disbelievingly. “How could you be stronger than me?”

“She just told you, idiot,” Archfiend Ruler told him, “now get the hell down here and make way for a real Duelist.”

Beast Ruler scowled and removed his necklace, throwing it over to Jen before he stepped down from his end of the arena and moved to stand shamefully behind his allies.

Archfiend Ruler looked to War Ruler, “You’re up next. Don’t fail. I’ve had about enough of you as it is, and if you fail I might not be able to find the compassion to forgive you.”

“I’ll take this one,” said Kimi.

“This guy’s strong,” I told her.

“I know,” Kimi replied, smiling confidently, “why do you think I wanna be the one to beat him. You guys are always showing me up.”

She stepped up to the arena, the calm, collected War Ruler stepping up across from her, and the third duel began.


Kimi


I was nervous. My last encounter with the Dark Duel Force hadn’t gone well. But with every other member of the team stepping up, I felt like I had to do the same.

“I move first if you don’t mind,” said War Ruler (LP: 8000).

“Go ahead,” I replied, “I’ll beat you either way.”

“I place five cards face-down,” said War Ruler, ignoring my statement, “and summon my favorite card, ‘Swift Gaia the Fierce Knight’!”

A blue-armor-clad knight appeared aback a purple steed, a lance in each hand (ATK: 2300).

“Reveal,” said War, “the Spell card ‘Pot of Greed’, letting me draw two cards. Next I reveal ‘Graceful Charity’ to draw three cards and then discard two.” He drew three cards and then sent ‘Gaia the Fierce Knight’ and ‘Earth Effigy’ to the Graveyard.

“And finally,” said War Ruler, “I reveal ‘Monster Reborn’, calling the original ‘Gaia the Fierce Knight’ back from the Graveyard.” A second mounted knight appeared, riding in on a burst of wind (ATK: 2300).

“‘Gaia’ cards, huh? Good move. Two level seven monsters in the first turn with no sacrifices. And I don’t have anything on hand that can beat them, so I’ll just have to draw a few more cards. I summon my ‘Agent of Wisdom – Mercury’ in defense mode.” The blue-skinned angel appeared, his book under his arm (DEF: 1700).

“Next,” I said, “I play ‘Double Summon’, summoning a second ‘Mercury’ in defense mode as well (DEF: 1700). Then I equip each of my ‘Mercury’ monsters with a copy of ‘Heart of Clear Water’.” Each of the two angels was surrounded by a transparent barrier. “Finally,” I said, “I place the last card in my hand face-down and end my turn.”

“Interesting combination,” said War Ruler. “Your monsters are in defense mode, and they can’t be destroyed by battle, but that won’t protect you. I Reveal ‘Spiral Spear Strike’. While this particular Spell is in play, both of my monsters have Piercing.

“‘Gaia’ and ‘Swift Gaia’, Spiral Spear Strike!” The two knights charged forward and stabbed at the two angels. The spears hit the barriers around my monsters and were repelled, but the wind that surrounded the spears curled around the barriers and hit me hard, like a punch to the gut (8000+1700+1700-2300-2300=6800).

“I reveal ‘Jar of Greed’,” said War Ruler, “drawing one card from my deck, and I end my turn.”

“When you do,” I announced, “I reveal ‘Solemn Wishes’. Now each time I draw, I recover five hundred Life Points. And thanks to the effects of my two ‘Agent Mercury’ cards, I draw two more times this turn.”

I drew three cards, and my Life Points increased (6800+(500x3)=8300). “Next I summon my ‘Agent of Creation – Venus’ in defense mode, and I pay one thousand Life Points (8300-1000=7300), summoning two of the angelic glass orbs ‘Mystic Shine Ball’, in defense mode as well (DEF of ‘Venus’: 0/DEF: of ‘Shine Balls’: 500 (each)).

“I end my turn with a new face-down card and the Field Spell ‘Sanctuary in the Sky’.” The scenery around us changed. Suddenly we were no longer in a dark forest. Instead we found ourselves standing in the clouds, light pouring over us. Behind me appeared a large white roman-style temple that was the source of the light.

“While ‘Sanctuary’ is out,” I explained, “I don’t take battle damage from any battle involving my Fairy-type monsters.”

“Maybe I can’t deal you battle damage,” said War Ruler, “but I can still destroy your monsters. My ‘Gaia’ monsters attack your ‘Shine Balls’.”

The knights attacked, and the orbs shattered.

“When my turn begins,” I said, “I draw three times once again, and my Life increases (7300+(500x3)=8800). Next I play ‘Card of Sanctity’ to draw four more cards.”

I drew again, and once again ‘Solemn Wishes’ increased my Life Points, Almost there (8800+500=9300).

“Next I play ‘Graceful Charity’, drawing three cards and discarding two.” I drew again, tossing two cards into the Graveyard (9300+500=9800).

I selected a card from my hand, “I summon ‘Agent of Force – Mars’ in attack mode. He begins with zero Attack Points, but he gains Attack equal to the difference between our Life points as long as my Life Points are higher than yours. I also equip him with ‘Cestus of Dagla’, increasing his Attack by another five hundred points.” The red-skinned angel, ‘Mars’, appeared at my side, a war hammer hanging from his belt. A curved blade appeared in each of his hands (ATK: 0+1800+500=2300).

“Your monster is strong,” War Ruler noted, “but he can’t kill my ‘Gaia’. And thanks to your ‘Card of Sanctity’’s effect, I drew exactly the cards I needed to secure me this duel. ‘Metamorphosis’ will transform one of my ‘Gaia’ monsters into ‘Gaia’’s most powerful form, ‘Gaia the Dragon Champion’!” One of his monsters’ horses became a yellow, spiked dragon. ‘Gaia’’s new mount flapped its wings, and the dragon and the knight took to the air together (ATK: 2600).

“‘Gaia the Dragon Champion’, attack ‘Mars’.”

The dragon-mounted knight swooped toward my angel.

“Reveal,” I declared proudly, “the Trap card ‘Solar Ray’!”

A beam from each of my monsters struck War Ruler, burning him, and his Life Points fell (8000-2400=5600). The Attack of my monster more than doubled (2300+2400=4700). ‘Mars swung the ‘Cestus of Dagla’ and cut ‘Gaia’ in half, dragon and all (5600+2600-4700=3500). “The effect of my ‘Cestus’ kicks in,” I explained, “increasing my Life Points by an amount equal to the damage you took (9800+ 2100=11,900).

“I place a card face-down,” War Ruler concluded, the beginnings of desperation starting to show through. I took a second to wonder how this guy could be evil before I continued.

“Too late,” I said. “I sacrifice ‘Mars’ to summon another ‘Agent’, the ‘Agent of Judgment – Saturn’!”

Another male angel replaced the first. His skin was deep blue, and he held his arms out at his sides. A brilliant light built around him, pouring down over War Ruler. He covered his eyes.

“‘Saturn’,” I commanded, “Finishing Attack Special Ability, Burning Light!”

‘Saturn’ merged with the light and fired straight at War Ruler. “My attack deals damage equal to the difference between our Life Points (Total Damage: 8400).” War Ruler stumbled back as my monsters faded away.

War Ruler regained his footing. He looked into my eyes, and then slowly he took the Shadow Dagger from his belt, walked over, and handed it to me. Then he turned and walked away, Archfiend Ruler glaring at him as he went.


Tucker


Three of the Dark Duel Force had already been beaten. I had my eyes on Guardian Ruler as an opponent, and based on the glaring look that he’d been giving me, he was thinking along the same lines.

“My turn,” said Guard in a stern voice, stepping forward. I stepped forward to meet him, and we made our way up to the arena.

“Are you ready for our rematch, kid?” he asked.

“Of course,” I replied confidently.

“Then I’ll begin,” Guardian Ruler began. “I place three cards face-down and set a monster. That’s all.”

I smiled, “My turn! I play ‘Painful Choice’ to search my deck for five cards and show them to you. You pick one of those cards. That card is added to my hand, and the rest are discarded to my Graveyard.”

I selected my five cards and placed them on my Duel Disk. They were ‘Hinotama Soul’, ‘Tyrant Dragon’, ‘Flame Ruler’, ‘Charcoal Inpachi’, and ‘Blazing Inpachi’.

“Add ‘Hinotama Soul’ to your hand,” said Guard, as stern and emotionless as ever. I did as I was told.

“Activate,” I continued, “the Spell card ‘Graceful Charity’. I draw three cards and then I discard ‘Hinotama Soul’ and ‘Gaia Soul the Combustible Collective’. Next I play ‘Soul Absorption’. Now each time a card is removed from play I gain five hundred Life Points. And I follow up by removing ‘Hinotama Soul’ and ‘Gaia Soul’ from play to summon ‘Spirit of Flames’ and ‘Inferno’ (LP: 8000+1000=9000).” A red-skinned fire demon with horns and a floating living flame appeared on my field. “I sacrifice both monsters,” I declared, “for the ‘Infernal Flame Emperor’!”

A being of flames with wings, a man’s torso, and a body like a lion appeared, roaring determinedly (ATK: 2700).

“When ‘Infernal Flame Emperor’ is summoned,” I explained, “I remove three Fire monsters in my Graveyard from play to destroy three Spell or Trap cards (9000+ 1500 =10,500).”

Three pillars of fire appeared around Guard’s Spell and Trap cards, burning then to ashes.

“My ‘Flame Emperor’ attacks your face-down monster,” I declared. My monster threw a huge fireball at Guard’s monster. It was revealed as a huge statue with massive arms, the ‘Guardian Statue’ (DEF: 1100). My monster’s attack was about to hit when three blue-robed priests appeared, summoning a barrier to block it.

“Of course you would chain ‘Waboku’,” I said. I hate ‘Waboku’.

“I finish my turn,” I declared, “by placing one card face-down, and activating ‘Burial from a Different Dimension’, returning ‘Gaia Soul’, ‘Flame Ruler’, and ‘Tyrant Dragon’ to my Graveyard.”

“Draw,” said Guard, “and I activate ‘Guardian Statue’’s effect, flipping him into face-down defense position. Then I Flip-Summon him again, returning one of your monsters to your hand.”

My ‘Infernal Flame Emperor’ disappeared, returned to his card, leaving me wide open to attack.

“I play ‘Armory’,” Guard continued, a wall with notches for dozens of weapons appearing within the arena. “I discard a card,” Guard explained, “to equip the ‘Twin Swords of Flashing Light – Tryce’ to Armory.”

I watched as two short, thin blades appeared, hanging from the ‘Armory’ wall.

“I sacrifice ‘Guardian Statue’,” Guard declared, “to summon ‘Guardian Tryce’, who picks up his blades.” The swiftest Guardian Monster, the yellow-clad ‘Tryce’, appeared on Guard’s field, taking a sword in each hand (ATK: 1900-500=1400).

“While equipped with the ‘Twin Swords’,” Guard explained, “my ‘Guardian Tryce’ can attack twice each turn. Double Flash Blade Attack!”

The Guardian Monster struck me once with his first sword (10,500-1400=9100), raised the second sword, and exploded.

“Reveal,” I said, “the Continuous Trap ‘Des Counterblow’, destroying your monster.”

“Interesting,” said Guard. “But when ‘Tryce’ is destroyed I revive the monster that I sacrificed to summon him.” The massive living statue appeared. “‘Statue’, attack!”

The statue raised its massive fist and punched me, nearly knocking me off of my end of the arena (9100-600=8500).

“My ‘Des Counterblow’ kicks in again,” I countered, “and your ‘Statue’ is destroyed.”

Once again Guard’s monster exploded.

“I draw and play ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw two more cards,” I continued. I selected another card from my hand. “I activate the Continuous Spell card ‘Dark Room of Nightmare’, increasing all of the effect damage that I deal to you by three hundred. Next I play ‘Tremendous Fire’, dealing you one thousand plus three hundred damage and dealing me five hundred damage, and ‘Meteor of Destruction’, dealing you one thousand plus three hundred damage.”

An intense fire flared up, hitting us both (8000-1000-300=6700/8500-500=8000), and a fireball formed in the sky, flying toward Guard and hitting him dead on (6700-1000-300=5400). Guard gritted his teeth against the pain of the onslaught.

“I end my turn,” I said, “by placing three cards face-down.”

“Then it’s time,” said Guard, “to summon one of my most powerful Guardian Monsters. I activate ‘Giant Trunade’ to return all Spell and Trap cards on the field to their owners’ hands.”

“No way,” I said. “Counter Trap ‘Cursed Seal of the Forbidden Spell’. I discard a Spell to cancel your Spell and seal it. No Spell with that name can be used for the rest of the duel.”

A glowing ring appeared beneath the hologram of the ‘Giant Trunade’ Spell card, and both the card and the ring faded away.

“In that case,” said Guard, “I reveal ‘Dust Tornado’, destroying ‘Des Counterblow’.” A dust devil picked up, tearing my Trap card hologram apart.

“I also place two cards face-down and play ‘Gravity Axe – Grarl’ on the ‘Armory’, letting me summon ‘Guardian Grarl’ from my hand.” A twelve-foot-tall dinosaur man with the posture of a gorilla appeared and picked up his axe (ATK: 2500+500=3000).

“‘Grarl’,” Guard commanded, “attack!”

The Guardian Monster charged and raised his axe, only to find himself ensnared by a ring, attached to which were several active grenades. The grenades exploded and I said, “When ‘Ring of Destruction’ destroys its target we each take damage equal to that target’s Attack.”

Fire washed over Guard, dealing him damage (5400-3000=2400), and as far as anyone could tell, the same thing happened to me, that is until the flames on my half of the field began to swirl toward a single point. The flames were completely sucked up into a small pistol resting in my outstretched hand.

“Reveal, ‘Barrel Behind the Door’,” I explained, “absorbing the damage that I would have taken and redirecting it toward another player.”

I aimed the pistol at Guard and fired. A swirling billow of fire shot from the gun barrel and hit Guard in the gut, knocking him onto his back (LP: 2400-3000=0). I blew the smoke away from the barrel of my gun and I smiled, “We’ll have to do this again sometime. It was a blast!”

Card of the Day:
Barrel Behind the Door
Played by: Tucker

Two duels, and two burn damage victories, but only one of those victories came from a card capable of inspiring such a great and cheesy one-liner as the one at the end of this chapter!

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment