Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Five: Kaiba Corporation Invitational Tournament - Chapter Fifteen

"And thus AwesomeJohn (or legendhiro, as he is known when authoring Yu-Gi-Oh! stories) posted a chapter which officially declared that he considers Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie canon, forever alienating a majority of whatever feeble fan base he might have."


Chapter Fifteen

John vs. The King of Games;
Divine vs. Divine!


“I end my turn with a face-down defense mode monster and a face-down card,” I declared, trying not to allow my resolve to be shaken.

“I draw,” said Yugi, not missing a beat, “and I place one card face-down and activate ‘Card of Sanctity’. We both draw until we hold six cards.”

Yugi and I refilled our hands, and Yugi said, “With my new hand, this is a whole new game. I attack with the ‘Dark Magician’, Black Magic!”

‘Dark Magician’ fired his attack, and there was an explosion that threw up a cloud of smoke and dust, concealing my side of the field. I couldn’t help but smile. Suddenly a beam shot from within the cloud of smoke, hitting and destroying the ‘Dark Magician’. The smoke cleared, revealing a robotic jar.

“You attacked my ‘Cyber Jar’,” I said, as my monster exploded. “When he’s flipped face-up every monster on the field is destroyed and we both pick up five cards. We Special Summon any level four monsters among those cards, and then add the remaining cards to our hands.”

We picked up our cards.

“I summon ‘Gemini Elf’ in attack mode and ‘Y – Dragon Head’ in defense mode,” I announced. Beautiful twin elves appeared (ATK: 1900) alongside the red robotic dragon (DEF: 1600).

“I summon,” said Yugi, “the ‘Skilled Dark Magician’.” A sorcerer in black robes appeared, staff in hand (ATK: 1900), “and I destroy your ‘Dragon Head’.” His monster flung dark energy at my monster, vaporizing it in a flash of black light.

“Also, each time a Spell card is activated,” Yugi explained, “the ‘Skilled Dark Magician’ accumulates a Spell Counter. So I’ll activate two Spell cards now, ‘De-Spell’ and ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’, destroying your ‘Soul Absorption’ and your face-down card and giving my monster two Spell Counters.” Two jewels on the sorcerer’s robes lit up.

“I end my turn, and since I’m holding eight cards, I have to discard two cards,” Yugi concluded. He fed two cards into his Graveyard. I tried to tell what they were, but I couldn’t. The faces were colored similar to a typical spell card, except that they were more teal in color and their text boxes were blank. They were different from any Duel Monsters card I’d ever seen. I was intrigued. I knew in that moment that Yugi was challenging me. Somehow he knew that I had a much greater power hidden in my deck, and he was challenging me to bring it out.

I drew, and Yugi declared, “In your Standby Phase I reveal ‘Miracle Restoring’. I remove two Spell Counters from my ‘Skilled Dark Magician’ to summon my ‘Dark Magician’ back to the field from the Graveyard.”

The two glowing jewels on his sorcerer’s robes went dark, and there was a flash of green light from which the ‘Dark Magician’ emerged (ATK: 2500).

I don’t know what those cards were that he discarded, I thought, but I get the feeling that there’s more to them than meets the eye. I want to know what they are and what purpose they serve. The only way to get Yugi to show me their power is to answer his challenge and show him the power that lurks within my deck. And I know just how to do it.

“I play ‘Graceful Charity’,” I said, “drawing three cards and discarding two.”

I drew three cards, and tossed ‘Obelisk the Tormentor’ and ‘Sky Dragon of Osiris’. As I thought, Yugi recognized them instantly. His expression changed. He knew that I wasn’t playing around anymore. That I’d accepted his challenge.

“Next,” I said, “I tribute my ‘Gemini Elf’ to summon the demon lord, ‘Great Maju Garzett’!”

A flare of dark light burst up from the ground and engulfed the elves. Out of that light emerged the massive brown skeletal demon. The jewels on his forehead and shoulders glowed brightly.

“My ultimate demon is summoned with twice the Attack power of the tributed monster,” I explained (ATK: 3800).

“I also activate the Spell card ‘Double Attack’,” I declared. “I discard a monster with a higher level than ‘Great Maju Garzett’ to allow him to attack twice this turn.”

I placed the third God, ‘The Winged Dragon of Ra’, into the Graveyard. Again I could tell that Yugi recognized the card.

This duel is coming to an impasse, I thought. Whatever those teal-colored cards were, they’re about to be Yugi’s only shot at winning this duel. I just hope that my power is greater than theirs, or I’ll have taken the risk of revealing the Gods in public for nothing.

“‘Great Maju Garzett’,” I commanded, “attack ‘Skilled Dark Magician’.”

‘Great Maju’ swung his claws, and ‘Skilled Dark Magician’ was shredded. Waves of energy flew from my monster’s claws and hit Yugi in the face and chest (8000+1900-3800=6100).

“Now,” I commanded, “I attack the ‘Dark Magician’ with Vile Energy!”

‘Great Maju Garzett’ discharged a wave of dark energy. ‘Dark Magician’ fired his Black Magic attack, but it was quickly overcome, and ‘Dark Magician’ was blown away (6100+2500-3800=4800).

“I set a card,” I concluded.

Yugi’s expression changed. He still seemed excited, but he was far more serious now as he said, “I was hoping not to have to use this card, but I guess I don’t have a choice. First I revive my ‘Dark Magician’ with the power of ‘Monster Reborn’.” A glowing red ankh appeared flashing and fading away, giving way to the ‘Dark Magician’.

“Next,” said Yugi, “I play a one-of-a-kind card, ‘The Eye of Timaeus’!” He placed a third teal card on the duel disk on top of the ‘Dark Magician’. A massive teal-skinned dragon appeared. He had a scar over his right eye.

I smiled wide, It’s about time. Now show me what these things can do.

“‘The Eye of Timaeus’ is a Legendary Dragon card,” Yugi explained pridefully, “capable of combining with any monster to create a new being with enormous power.”

‘Dark Magician’ moved to stand on the dragon’s back, and rows of ancient symbols appeared all over the dragon’s body.

“By merging ‘Dark Magician’ and ‘The Eye of Timaeus’,” Yugi declared, “I create the mighty ‘Amulet Dragon’!”

‘Timaeus’ roared, and ‘Dark Magician’ twirled his staff, smiling smugly.

“‘Amulet Dragon’,” Yugi explained, “gains three hundred Attack power for every Spell card in my Graveyard. There are five, so the power of my ‘Dragon’ increases by fifteen hundred (2900+1500=4400)!

“‘Amulet Dragon’, attack!” Yugi commanded. The dragon breathed light and the ‘Dark Magician’ released a Black Magic attack from his staff. The energies combined and blew my demon apart (5000+3800-4400=4400).

I smiled, “In that case, I activate my ‘Michizure’, a Trap that I put in my deck specifically to be used with ‘Great Maju’. Since his base Attack is zero, he’s easy to kill if he’s been on the field for more than a turn if my opponent has the right cards, but when he is destroyed, ‘Michizure’ takes the attacker along with him.”

A ghostly hand reached up from a crack in the ground and grabbed the ‘Dark Magician’, dragging him back to his grave. The teal dragon disappeared in a flash of light, sent to the Graveyard as well. Yugi, however, didn’t miss a beat.

“I’ll summon,” declared Yugi, “my ‘Obnoxious Celtic Guard’ in attack mode (ATK: 1400). He can only be destroyed by monsters with less than nineteen hundred Attack.”

An elf warrior in green padded armor appeared, carrying a longsword.

“Finally,” said Yugi, “I place two cards face-down and end my turn.”

I don’t know what Yugi’s planning, I thought, but I know he saw the three Gods. That means that he knows what I’m planning and he’s preparing to fight back. I have to hit him now with everything I’ve got, no holding back!

My Soul of Chaos flashed as I drew my card. I added the card to my hand without looking, knowing that it was just the card I needed. That's how the power of Destiny Draw works after all. I chose another card from my hand and played it. “I activate ‘Soul Release’, removing three of the cards in my Graveyard from play.”

I selected my cards, and I could tell from Yugi’s expression that he knew exactly what they would be.

“I combo ‘Soul Release’ with ‘Dimension Fusion’,” I explained, “paying two thousand Life Points (4400-2000=2400) to summon the three monsters that I just removed from play.”

For the first time during this duel I saw a bead of sweat form on my opponent’s forehead. His expression changed to one of great concentration. The crowd grew silent as behind me a yellow, a red, and a blue pillar of light burst up from the ground. From the pillars emerged the three Gods of Egypt, the sun God ‘The Winged Dragon of Ra’, the massive red serpentine dragon God ‘Sky Dragon of Osiris’, and the pillar of the Gods ‘Obelisk the Tormentor’.

“You’re not the only one with a divine power at his command,” said Yugi. “I reveal ‘Legend of Heart’, tributing the Warrior-type ‘Obnoxious Celtic Guard’ and removing ‘The Eye of Timaeus’, ‘The Claw of Hermos’, and ‘The Fang of Critias’ in my Graveyard from play to summon three monsters with powers to rival even the Gods.”

‘Timaeus’ returned to the field alongside a red dragon with a square jaw and spikes down its back and a vicious-looking black dragon with spines down its back. The three dragons flew up into the clouds, and from the clouds emerged three knights. One was shorter than the others with armor the same color as ‘Timaeus’ and a scar over the same eye. The other two wore black and red armor respectively.

“Introducing,” Yugi announced, “the ‘Legendary Knight Timaeus’,” the teal knight nodded, “the ‘Legendary Knight Critias’,” the black knight nodded, “and the ‘Legendary Knight Hermos’,” the red knight nodded (ATK: 2800 (each)).

“Attack me, if you dare,” said Yugi, his face radiating confidence that few Duelist's could display when facing down the God cards.

“Alright,” I said, smiling confidently. I heard a roar of flames as the ‘Winged Dragon of Ra’ took on his ultimate form, the God Phoenix. He settled onto ‘Obelisk’’s right arm, as ‘Osiris’ settled onto ‘Obelisk’’s other arm, wrapping his tail around ‘Obelisk’’s torso and waste. The two dragons became pure energy and ‘Obelisk’’s power rose (ATK: ∞).

“Attack now,” I commanded, pointing straight at ‘Timaeus’, “with Titan Firestorm!”

‘Obelisk’ punched with both fists, releasing all of his, all of ‘Osiris’’, and all of ‘Ra’’s energy all at once. The yellow energy of ‘Ra’ and the red energy of ‘Osiris’ swirled together, forming a spinning fire stream that bore down on ‘Timaeus’. The 'Knight' smiled, and I noticed that it was the same smile that was playing across my opponent’s face at that very moment.

“Activate,” said Yugi, “the Trap card ‘Shift’, redirecting your attack toward ‘Hermos’ instead.”

Yugi’s monsters slid out of the way, and the massive attack flew past Yugi and his monsters. Yugi and the three knights turned toward my attack just as it curved back around and flew toward the red knight.

“Now,” said Yugi, “I remove three monsters in my deck from play and merge my monsters to form ‘Knight of Destiny’, intercepting your attack!”

Yugi took ‘Alpha’, ‘Beta’, and ‘Gamma’ the Magnet Warriors from his deck and removed them from play, and the three knights glowed and merged into a knight in golden armor with a mighty golden sword in hand (ATK: 2800 -> ∞).

The Titan Firestorm closed in on its target from outside of the arena, and everything seemed to slow down. ‘Knight of Destiny’ looked over at Yugi. Yugi turned to face the knight, and his expression changed to one of surprise, and then to one of understanding. I realized that, in that moment, dialogue had passed mentally between them. Yugi nodded approval and the ‘Knight of Destiny’ lowered himself to one knee and laid his sword on the ground, a sign of surrender (ATK: ∞ -> 2800). He was overcome by my monster’s attack, and Yugi’s Life Points fell to zero.

My eyes went wide as my monster disappeared, and despite all that was unusual about the most recent exchange of attacks, I came to what was at the time the most important of realizations. My mind separated from Hiro’s, my Soul turned back to normal, and I cried out triumphantly, “I-I’m the King of Games!”

Card of the Day:
Obelisk the Tormentor
Played by: John

We've already seen the other Gods as Cards of the Day, so why not this one, too? 

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment