Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Five: Kaiba Corporation Invitational Tournament - Chapter Seven

John is still taking this tournament pretty lightly, so he doesn't mind almost losing to his opponent in this chapter, just to help his opponent achieve a change of attitude. It isn't a super exciting chapter, but it does introduce some new cards of John's, and it shows a bit of John's lighter side in the midst of action, something that we don't see often.


Chapter Seven

Round One;
John vs. Level King Evo


John


“We will see,” Evo began, and he drew his cards, “I play the Spell card ‘Graceful Charity’. I draw three cards and discard two cards, and place two cards face down. Next I summon ‘Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV4’.” A silver eagle-like dragon appeared standing about shoulder height next to its master (ATK: 1600).

“If that’s the case,” I said, more impressed by the appearance of Evo’s rare monster than I was willing to let on, “I’ll begin with ‘Graceful Charity’ as well.”

I drew, and then I discarded two monsters, my ‘D.D. Scout Plane’ and ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’.

“Next,” I continued, “I activate ‘Dark Core’, discarding my ‘Summoned Skull’ to suck your dragon into a black hole and take it out of play.”

“In which case I counter,” Evo declared, “with ‘Call of the Haunted’,”

Fog spread across the field, and an Egyptian man in an eagle headdress appeared (ATK: 300). The man began to chant and an aura surrounded both he and ‘Horus’. My ‘Dark Core’ appeared, but it had no effect on its target and eventually faded away.

“With the effect of my Trap,” Evo explained, “I revive ‘Horus’ Servant’ in attack mode. He counters your Spell effect with his special ability, which protects any face-up ‘Horus’ monster I control from effects that target.”

“But now that you have two more monsters on than the field than I do,” I explained, grasping at whatever advantage I could, “I can Special Summon my favorite card, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’.”

A warrior in high tech yellow armor appeared, getting the duel off to a good start right off the bat, energy building in his hands. He was ready to fight at a moment’s notice.

“‘Megacyber’,” I commanded, “attack ‘Horus’ with Megacyber Impact!” ‘Fiend Megacyber’ charged forward, preparing to strike.

“Reveal,” said Evo, “the Trap card ‘Eye of Horus’, transforming the Level Four ‘Horus’ into his more powerful Level Six form.”

I gritted my teeth, I thought as much, but I’d never seen one before, so I couldn’t be sure. But now I know. This is one of those rare types of monsters that can evolve into stronger forms when certain conditions are met.

‘Horus’ spread his wings and nearly doubled in size (ATK: 2300). The silver eagle dragon breathed black fire on my warrior, incinerating him in an instant (8000+2200-2300=7900).

“I place one card face down,” I said, “and end my turn.”

“When your turn ends,” Evo declared pridefully, “since ‘Horus’ destroyed a monster this turn, he evolves to his strongest form.”

The already large monster grew even larger, his draconic features becoming a bit more pronounced. He let out a screech-like roar. “Behold,” Evo announced, “‘Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV8’ (ATK: 3000), the most powerful Level Monster of all!”

Evo smiled threateningly, “‘Horus’ attacks you directly with Horus Black Fire.”

“Reveal ‘Mirror Force’,” I countered. I waited apprehensively, worried that my opponent would have a way to protect the monster that he’d worked so hard to summon. A reflective half-sphere rose up around me and, to my great relief, bounced ‘Horus’’ attack back at Evo’s field, destroying both of his monsters.

“One card face-down,” Evo said calmly, “and I end my turn.”

This guy’s been able to take every one of my attacks and counterattacks head on without batting an eye, I thought. Either he’s really that cold, or he still has something up his sleeve. Either way, I have to be prepared.

“I play ‘Monster Reborn’,” I said, “to revive the ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ that I discarded for the effect of ‘Graceful Charity’.” A glowing red ankh appeared, blossoming out to become a beautiful blond female warrior in a silver jumpsuit and carrying a glowing katana (ATK: 1500).

I’d better be cautious. I’ll wait to summon more monsters until I have a better idea of what he’s planning.

“‘D.D. Warrior Lady’,” I commanded, “attack with Dimension Katana!”

The ‘Warrior Lady’ slashed with her sword and Evo’s Life Points dropped (8000-1500-6500). Evo didn’t react in the slightest.

“You finished?” Evo asked impatiently.

“I’ll tell you when I’m finished,” I replied. “Come on, loosen up and have some fun! We’re playing a game, after all.”

“Life is not a game,” said Evo, “and Duel Monsters is my life. I don’t play Duel Monsters, I win at Duel Monsters! I use my ‘Horus’’ divine black flame to destroy any player who faces me, no matter how powerful he is. You are no exception.”

“Wow,” I said, making a point to sound a little offensive, “you’re harsh. I want to be a pro Duelist, but if an attitude like yours is what’s needed to be a pro, then I think you’ve changed my mind.”

I thought about that for a minute and then said, “You know what, I’m going to win this duel, and by doin’ so, I’m gonna remind you just how much fun this game can be.”

“You’ll have to get through ‘Horus’ first,” Evo replied. “You may think you managed to beat my dragon, but you’re wrong. I activate ‘Level Modulation’. You draw two cards, but in exchange I get to summon ‘Horus’ back from the Graveyard!”

A pillar of black fire burst from the ground behind Evo. The fire dispersed and the silver dragon emerged in all of its glory.

“‘Horus’ attacks,” Evo declared, and the dragon fired its breath attack at my warrior.

“Then I’ll activate ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’’s effect,” I countered, “Karma Cut!”

My ‘Warrior Lady’ raised her sword as the flames hit her (7900+1500-3000=6400). She was withstanding the attack and she was prepared to attack back when she was struck by lightning and vaporized.

“I reveal ‘Divine Wrath’,” Evo explained, “discarding a card to negate your monster’s effect. I end my turn with ‘Monster Reborn’, reviving my ‘Horus’ Servant’ in defense mode (DEF: 800). Now you have to destroy him before you can target my dragon with card effects.”

“You’re good,” I said, “but I’ve got plenty more moves up my sleeve.”

Evo just stared, the same cold look in his eyes.

“I remove the Light monster ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ and the Dark monster ‘D.D. Scout Plane’ in my Graveyard from play,” I began, my announcement sounding as rehearsed as a ritual, “to summon the ultimate warrior of chaos, the harbinger of your end, the ‘Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning’!”

A pillar of black light and a pillar of white light rose up behind me. The light swirled together in the air and formed a humanoid shape. The light seemed to shatter like glass, revealing a warrior in full black armor, heavily decorated with gold trim. He was carrying a broad shield and a beautiful curved blade (ATK: 3000).

“This card is my last hope,” I said dramatically, “and I’m putting everything I have into it.”

This is it, arguably my most powerful non-God card, I thought. Normally since both monsters have the same attack points I would skip my normal attack for the turn and attack his dragon with my monster’s special ability, but thanks to ‘Servant’ that isn’t an option. So instead I’ll use a Spell to raise my monster’s power and then attack him head on, using my monster’s effect to destroy both of his monsters this turn.

My plan was a good one, one that would work against most Duelists, but as I faced Evo, someone who had already proven to be a very difficult opponent, I wondered if it would be enough in this case.

“I equip my warrior with the Spell card ‘Fusion Sword Murasame Blade’,” I declared, “raising his Attack to thirty-eight hundred!”

The hologram of my ‘Fusion Sword’ Spell card appeared, and Evo immediately called, “Black Fire of Anti-Magic activate!” ‘Horus’’ eyes flashed and my card hologram was incinerated by a burst of black fire.

“So that’s ‘Horus’’ power,” I said, completely in awe.

“Yeah,” Evo replied, smiling wide. “The key to any game-changing combo is the use of Spell cards. Without them, destroying a three thousand Attack monster like ‘Horus’ is nearly impossible.”

I smiled, “I see. Then I’ll increase your dragon’s level of vulnerability by destroying your ‘Horus’ Servant’. ‘Black Luster Soldier’, attack with Chaos Slash!”

‘Black Luster Soldier’ raised his sword and swung it in the direction of the ‘Servant’. Energy rolled from the end of his blade, hitting ‘Servant’ and cutting him in half.

“I set a card,” I said, “and end my turn.” As I spoke the air to my right rippled and opened up, and I explained, “At this time my ‘D.D. Scout Plane’ returns to the field in attack mode.” A spherical metal pod with a lens in the front and two multi-jointed arms emerged from the ripple (ATK: 800).

“You said that that warrior card is your last hope?” Evo taunted me in a tone of voice so serious that it sounded truly intimidating. “Well then I’ll strip your hopes away. Spell card, ‘Offerings to the Doomed’. I forfeit my next Draw Phase to destroy any one monster on the field, no matter how strong. That includes your ‘Soldier’.”

Bandages rose up out of the ground and wrapped my ‘Soldier’, squeezing and crushing him.

“Now ‘Horus’ attacks the ‘Scout Plane’,” Evo declared, and my ‘Scout Plane’ was incinerated by ‘Horus’’ fire (6400+800-3000=4200).

I laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Evo asked.

“I just pity you. I pity the fact that you think someone’s hopes can be extinguished that easily. It says so much about what exactly you’ve forgotten. My deck gives me the power to control space and time. Thanks to that power, my monsters never stay gone for long, and my hope is never lost. I play the Spell card ‘Soul Release’, letting me remove up to five cards in the Graveyard from play.”

“Now I’m the one who gets to laugh,” said Evo. “I guess you forgot my monster’s ability, the Black Flame of Anti-Magic!”

“I didn’t forget,” I said. “I just needed you to activate your monster’s effect so that I could counter with this: Continuous Trap card ‘Skill Drain’. I pay one thousand Life Points (4200-1000=3200) to cancel the effects of every monster in play.”

I watched as a black aura fell from ‘Horus’ and dissipated, taking his Black Flame of Anti-Magic with it.

“Now I continue with ‘Soul Release’,” I continued. “I remove ‘Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning’, ‘Summoned Skull’, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’ and ‘D.D. Scout Plane’ from play. Next, by paying two thousand Life Points, I activate ‘Dimension Fusion’. This lets me rip open a door between this dimension and the Different Dimension, summoning all of my monsters that are removed from play.”

Evo smiled, and not the normal taunting rival to rival smile either. This was a real smile, the first that I’d seen from him. For the briefest moment, I’d done something that he found exciting.

My Life Points fell (3200-2000=1200), and the sky opened up behind me. Out of the opening stepped the violet-colored skeletal fiend ‘Summoned Skull’ (ATK: 2500), the silver warrior ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ (ATK: 1500), the ‘D.D. Scout Plane’ (ATK: 800), the yellow warrior ‘The Fiend Megacyber’, and the gleaming swordsman, ‘Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning’ (ATK: 3000).

“Amazing,” said Evo. “You knew ‘Horus’’ power, but you weren’t intimidated by it like other Duelists would be. Instead you seemed excited by the prospect of such a challenge. I didn’t remember until just now that a Duelist could feel that way about a tough duel. Dueling has been little more than business for so long.”

He looked directly at me, a fresh fire in his eyes and said, “Do it. Show me your Duelist’s spirit, and give me a reason to find mine!”

I smiled back, “Alright then. ‘Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning’, attack! Double KO his ‘Horus the Black Flame Dragon’!”

‘Black Luster Soldier’ raised his sword and jumped straight at the dragon’s head. He swung his sword and ‘Horus’ released a burst of flames. The two attacks met, blossoming outward and swallowing up both monsters.

“Now I attack with my remaining monsters,” I commanded, “and end this duel all at once.”

‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ slashed, ‘Scout Plane’ fired a beam from his lens, and ‘Summoned Skull’ bombarded Evo with a bolt of lightning (6500-1500-800-2500=2000). ‘Fiend Megacyber’ shot forward and punched with an energized fist, and the battle came to an end. My monsters disappeared, signifying the end of the duel.

“Thanks,” Evo said, walking over and shaking my hand. “I lost, but if I hadn’t dueled you today I wouldn’t have remembered why I started dueling to begin with!”

I smiled, “You’re welcome. I hope we get to duel again sometime.”

With that we turned in unison and stepped down from the arena, ready to move on to other challenges.

Card of the Day:
Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
Played by: John

John shows off two new potentially game-making cards this chapter: "Skill Drain", and the above card. Seeing as how this card is definitely the more impressive of the two (though arguably not the most versatile), it wins this spot, but expect to see "Skill Drain" down here someday too.

Original Cards in This Chapter:


Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment