Saturday, September 20, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DE: The Paths You Choose - Chapter Eleven

Yeah, so that just happened. In all honesty, I'm pretty proud of this chapter. Good job, me!

 
Chapter Eleven

Action


Greg


“I’m sorry to disappoint you,” said Emperor, “but you lose right now. I begin with ‘Pot of Greed’, allowing me to draw two cards.” He looked over his newest acquisitions, and continued, “Next I reveal the Continuous Trap card ‘By Order of the Emperor’. Now, whenever I summon a monster whose effect activates when it’s summoned, I can negate its effect and draw a card. I also reveal ‘Ultimate Offering’. Now I can make as many summons per turn as I want for the cost of five hundred Life Points per summon.

“I activate ‘Fiend Sanctuary’,” Emperor continued, “to summon a ‘Metal Fiend Token’,” a small creature made of stacked metal spheres appeared, “and I tribute the Token for ‘Thestalos the Firestorm Monarch’.”

A tall warrior in fiery red armor appeared (ATK: 2400).

“I negate ‘Thestalos’’ effect to draw a card,” said Emperor, and he drew.

“I pay one thousand Life Points,” Emperor continued (5000-1000=4000), “to summon ‘Samsara Kaiser’ and tribute him for ‘Raiza the Storm Monarch’.”

A warrior in green armor molded to resemble a bird appeared at the fiery warrior’s side (ATK: 2400).

“I negate ‘Raiza’’s effect as well to draw again,” Emperor declared, “and because ‘Samsara Kaiser’ was sent to the Grave due to a Tribute Summon, he returns to my hand once again.”

It was in that moment that I saw the true extent of Emperor’s power, and I began to understand how much danger I was actually in.

“I play ‘Graceful Charity’,” said Emperor, “to draw another three cards and then discard two cards.”

He carried out the effect, and I began to sweat.

“Now I pay another one thousand Life Points (4000-1000=3000),” Emperor continued, “to summon ‘Samsara Kaiser’ and tribute him yet again for ‘Zaborg the Thunder Monarch’.”

‘Samsara Kaiser’ was sacrificed again, and a giant warrior in silver armor appeared. His pastel green hair sat in an afro atop his head, and arching lightning spread across his body.

“I negate my monster’s effect to draw again,” Emperor declared smugly, “and I pay yet another one thousand Life Points (3000-1000=2000) to summon ‘Mobius the Frost Monarch’.”

One sacrifice later another Monarch joined the ranks of my opponent’s powerful monster army. This one, the blue-armored warrior with the penguin-head helm, had the power to destroy Spell and Trap cards. Of course he couldn’t destroy my Spell card.

What is he doing? Is he trying to draw into something important?

“I negate ‘Mobius’’ effect as well,” said Emperor. He drew again.

“Finally,” said Emperor, “I pay a final one thousand Life Points (2000-1000=1000) to summon my Spirit Monster and my final Monarch, ‘Caius the Shadow Monarch’!”

Shadows crept up around Emperor, taking form, becoming a wicked warrior in black armor. Shadows billowed around him like dark fire (ATK: 2400).

“I could use my monster’s effect,” said Emperor, “to remove your Spell card from play, but at this point it wouldn’t matter, so I’ll draw another card instead, and I’ll equip ‘Caius’ with the Spell card ‘United We Stand’, increasing his Attack by eight hundred per monster that I control.”

I watched with barely controlled anxiety as ‘Caius’’ power climbed (2400+ (800x5)=6400).

“My monsters attack,” Emperor commanded, triumph in his voice. ‘Caius’ blew my ultimate monster away like it was nothing, and I found myself under attack from fire-, ice-, lightning- and wind-based attacks. I fell to my knees under the assault (8000 +3000-6400-(2400x4)=0).

“Take my Shadow Millennium Ring,” I told Emperor defiantly as he approached me slowly, savoring his victory, “but you won’t succeed. You won’t conquer this world.”

“Oh,” said Emperor as he unsheathed his Shadow Rod and separated the blade from the rest of the hilt, “I think I will.”

Then Emperor thrust the blade into my heart.


Charlie


After I arrived back at HQ I helped Jeff make his way to medical. From there, once I was sure Jeff was okay of course, I headed for Greg’s office at the end of his secluded corridor. The first thing I noticed was Raphael and Marcus unconscious on the floor. Next I noticed the five figures huddled outside of Greg’s office, deep in conversation.

“Who are you?” I demanded, and all five figures turned to face me. One of them, a figure wearing a more ornate cloak than the others, raised his hand and aimed his palm at me. I suddenly found myself surrounded by shadows, facing five Duelists all alone.


Rocky


“We’ve been over this whole place twice,” said Rachel solemnly. “There’s no clue here.” She sounded defeated.

“It’s possible that Emperor has contacted Greg with further information by now,” said Prof hopefully.

“Yeah,” I agreed. “We should head back. I’m sure Greg will have some more information for us by now either way.”

“If Greg had new information,” said Marco, “wouldn’t he have gotten in touch with us already?”

“Who knows,” Prof answered. “That guy makes less sense than I do. Now huddle up. We’re going back.”

So we did. We placed our hands on each other’s shoulders and pooled our strength. In a flash we were gone from the ruins that had caused us so much frustration, and we were back at HQ. I took a deep breath, allowing the heavy activity of the Arena Room to sink in, but before I’d had two minutes to feel relaxed, Prof was off running.

“Duel Disks out and follow me,” he commanded, and Rachel, Marco and I were on his heels. He led us toward Greg’s office. We rounded the corner, and I felt like I’d been slapped. Lying on the floor in the corridor, staring lifelessly at the ceiling above them, were Raphael, Marcus and-.

“Charlie!”

Rachel pushed past Prof and fell to her knees at her brother’s side, her face fearful and full of uncharacteristic concern. Finally it had become too much. Finally she’d reached the point where she just couldn’t hide her concern any longer.

“He’s gone,” she declared, her voice cracking, “his soul isn’t here!”

As I watched Prof moved to look into Greg’s office, which was still out of sight, and his face grew dark.

“Rocky and Rachel, get Raph, Marcus and Charlie into Greg’s office out of sight. Marco, make sure no one comes back here. No one can see this.”

Prof stepped into the office. I grabbed Raphael by the arms and pulled him through the doorway, where I saw Prof bend over Greg’s lifeless body, feeling for a pulse. His face told me that there was none, and I suddenly felt like I could collapse right there. Greg was untouchable! If he could fall to Emperor, what could we possibly do?

“When we teleported in,” said Prof, straightening up, “I knew something was wrong. Even though it’s possible for us who know how to transport into the compound through Greg’s defenses, there is always a certain amount of resistance. This time, there was none.”

“Did Emperor do this?” I asked. “Are we sure it was him?”

“Yeah,” said Prof. “Greg’s Shadow Item is gone, but Raph’s, Marcus’ and Charlie’s Items aren’t.

I swallowed nervously.

“Now go,” said Prof, “Get Marcus and Charlie.”

I stepped out and drug Marcus inside. I stepped out again. By now Marco and Rachel were outside looking in. Marco looked shocked, and Rachel looked angry and scared. I walked over to Charlie and pulled him across the threshold as well. Rachel and Marco followed me inside. Prof was standing behind Greg’s desk, manipulating the keys that controlled Greg’s powerful network of computers, trying with great conviction to get something to happen, though I didn’t know what. I’m sure that knowing that Greg’s computer net was gone made Prof feel blind. As much as he and Greg didn’t get along, I knew he relied on Greg’s powers just as much as the rest of us.

“How could this happen?” I asked. “I mean, Greg was-.”

“Quiet,” said Prof. “I’ve found what I was looking for.”

He looked up, and Greg’s screens, lifeless until a moment ago, flickered to life. On every screen appeared the same image of a man in an ornate cloak. He spoke, “I’m Emperor. As you can see, I’ve overcome the Elite’s greatest warrior and sharpest mind. I’ve defeated your strongest Duelists, and predicted your every move, including the arrival of the boy, Charlie, though I didn't really need to. His arrival was of no consequence to someone with my power.”

I looked over at Rachel. She looked like she wanted to reach through the screens and break Emperor’s neck, but she restrained herself.

“In fact,” Emperor continued, “I’ve predicted the movements of your little club so completely that I know that I’m talking only to Prof and his team of selective misfits, the only remaining threat to my power. I challenge the four of you to find me and my Emperor’s Four and fight us for the souls of the bodyguards and the boy.”

“We tried that,” Rachel exclaimed, frustrated.

“You may be wondering how to find me,” the recording of Emperor continued. “Well, it’s simple really. I allowed Gregory Hendriks to believe that his brother was no longer alive. It filled him with a debilitating sense of hopelessness that made him easier to overcome. However, what I allowed your leader to believe was a lie. His brother is alive and well, a guest at our compound. I hear that one of you is very close to Timothy Hendriks. She should be able to sense his location, if she really cares about him. We’ll be waiting.”

Emperor’s image disappeared.

“Rachel,” Prof asked, “can you sense him?”

Rachel’s eyes were closed. Her Shadow Necklace was out, glowing faintly. “I’m trying,” she snapped, “but I just can’t. I’m not strong enough.”

This is too much for one person, I thought. I walked over to her and put my hand on her shoulder, lending her my strength. Rachel looked up at me, momentarily confused, and then she smiled. She closed her eyes again and said nothing for several seconds. Finally she opened her eyes, looking determined.

“I know where he is. Let’s go.”

We gathered together, and in a flash, we were gone.


We arrived in an open chamber, the sandstone walls lined with gold. Four openings stood before us, each leading into its own corridor. Behind us was a single corridor that likely led to the proper entrance to whatever dusty ancient temple we’d managed to teleport into.

“We’re underground,” I said, knowing instantly.

“This must be Emperor’s headquarters,” said Prof. “Rachel?”

She closed her eyes and her necklace glowed faintly. She opened her eyes again a moment later, “He’s somewhere on the other side of one of these corridors, but I can’t tell which one.”

“Maybe I can,” I said. I placed my hand on the wall between the two central corridors, and I felt a strange sensation: my sonar kicking in. I concentrated, but it was no use. I shook my head and looked back at the others, “Something’s interfering with the Soul of Earth’s sonar power. I can’t tell where the corridors lead.”

“Well,” said Prof, “that leaves only one option left.”

“What’s that?” Marco asked.

“We split up,” Prof answered, and just like that he stepped into the center right corridor and walked briskly away, a completely inappropriate smile on his face. Rachel went next, taking the corridor center left. She didn’t look as happy.

Marco sighed, “Well it looks like we’re splitting up, because that always works out so well in the movies. Great.” He rested the back of his head in his hands and stepped into the corridor to the left.

Well, I thought, here goes.

I turned toward the corridor to the right and stepped inside.

Card of the Day:
Caius the Shadow Monarch
Played by: Emperor

Greg seems untouchable in this story, and yet Emperor, with the help of this monster, breaks through his impenetrable wall and overwhelms him. This card represents Emperor in a nutshell. It is a threatening creature which casts a shadow over everything.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment