Friday, September 19, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #24


---Heartfire, 23rd, 4E 201---

  Today was rather routine, all things considered. We rode into Whiterun in the early evening. I checked that Lucia had returned safely from the wedding in Riften, and then turned in a bounty at Dragonsreach. Then the five of us left immediately for Riverwood to meet with Delphine once again. I feel bad for leaving Lucia alone with Lydia so often. Once this dragon crisis is over, if it ever is over, I will be sure to spend some time with the girl.
  In Riverwood, Delphine explained that she wants me to infiltrate the Thalmor embassy north of Solitude in the guise of a guest. I will have a real invitation, but I will have to go in minimally equipped and without my party. Not only that, but the plan that Delphine has concocted hinges on the help of a Wood Elf named Melbourne who she has implied is not experienced in such behavior, though I suppose I am not either. I wanted to protest to the plan, to point out its many flaws, but my childhood desire to become a member of the Blades seems consistently able to override my judgment.
  Mjoll supports me. Her support is complete and wholehearted, but I still must wonder if her willingness to follow is her's alone, or if her feelings cloud her judgment. I know that if the situation were reversed, mine would. Do I have the right to take her with me into danger? Do I have the right to tell her not to if it is what she desires? I will die if she comes to lasting harm because of me.
  Barbas and Odvar still follow me as well, despite the escalating situation. I worry about Odvar. His barely-disguised detest for his condition causes him to be reckless. No matter how skilled he is with Alteration spells, he is not invincible. Barbas, however, may be. I have seen him take direct hits from bears, wolves, Bandits, and dragons and suffer no harm. He I will drag to the ends of Nirn, if only to stand him between myself and any oncoming arrows.
 
---Heartfire, 24th, 4E 201---

  This morning was spent doing some crafting. I improved Mjoll's armor a bit. Once I am able to get my hands on a few more decent soul gems, I plan to enchant it, as well. Odvar can protect himself with his alteration magic, but Mjoll is completely dependent on her armor and her blade for protection. The least I can do is make sure her armor is good enough to withstand a dragon's full flame.
  Afterward, we took the cart to Solitude, as the party at the embassy is tomorrow, and we, therefor, do not have time to waste traveling on foot. We are all on edge. Only I can enter the embassy, but Mjoll and even the aloof Odvar wish to find a way to accompany me. The best I could do to calm them was to agree that they should wait near the embassy, and move in to attack should they notice any problems from the outside. Hopefully they will have no cause to act at all.
  Melbourne is likely already here in the Winking Skeever, but I need my rest. I will find and meet with him in the morning. Until then I find comfort for my nerves in Mjoll's arms.



No comments:

Post a Comment