Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #23


--Heartfire, 22nd, 4E 201---

  After an hour in town trading, we set off from Windhelm toward Kynesgrove. There we met a local woman making way from the town, as a dragon had appeared and was attacking further up the foothill, near the old dragon mound. My party and I ran quickly past the small settlement and found Delphine waiting, watching the beast as it hovered overhead. It was him, the black dragon from Helgen. I conjured my bow and opened fire, but he ignored me and breathed on the burial mound below him. Suddenly a dragon skeleton rose from the ground and became coated in new flesh. The dragons spoke briefly before the black dragon flew away. In those moments I thought that I heard the resurrected dragon call the black dragon Alduin. I hope I was mistaken, for obvious reasons.
  With Delphine at our sides, we made relatively quick work of the resurrected dragon. During the battle I learned that I have grown strong enough now to conjure two Atronachs at once, and possibly even more familiars, should I ever try. I have decided to call my second flame Atronach Luci. Once I absorbed the dragon's soul, Delphine finally admitted that I must be Dragonborn. It is a title that I never wanted, yet I find myself filling with pride whenever I hear it spoken.
  Dephine voiced her suspicions, that the Thalmor are somehow behind the return of the dragons. I'm not sure that I share her suspicion, but we must know for sure. I am to meet the old Blade in Riverwood as soon as I can to discuss our next move.
  From Kynesgrove I was able to spot another dragon circling a plateau nearby to the south. Not wanting the town to become threatened again, the five of us made haste to its lair and felled it as well, with the help of some friendly local giants. I claimed the power to breath ice from the Word Wall that it guarded. From there we continued south to nearby Darkwater Crossing and caught a carriage to Ivarstead. Though we arrived late, we were able to climb the mountain to High Hrothgar before needing to rest any more than what the cart ride provided.
  I gave the Horn to the Greybeard, Arngier, and he and the others rewarded me with the final word of Unrelenting Force. Now I can send men flying through the air, rather than simply stagger them. My power only continues to grow. Then the Graybeards assaulted me with the full force of their voices, inducting me honorarily into their order. We sleep here tonight and continue on our way in the morning.
  Just as I begin my new life with Mjoll, my life becomes even more complicated. My love does not seem to mind, but I have to wonder if I am being selfish by dragging her into this. I am dragonborn. This quest is my responsibility and no one else's. I also worry that, if I heard that dragon correctly, that my quest might have been doomed from the start. After all, no one can stand against the end of time.



No comments:

Post a Comment