Monday, September 29, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DA: The Phantom Seal - Chapter Fourteen

Oh, so that's the real source of conflict here...hmm.

Whenever I go back and re read this chapter to check for needed corrections and the like, I feel like I'm being mean to my characters. I let John achieve a big, dramatic victory with a card that Karen made for him at his side, and give Karen an active role in the fight through that card, cementing their relationship, and then I throw a wrench in my own efforts. But I feel I needed to. I wanted these characters to at the very least acknowledge the flaws in their relationship: that John is lackadaisical, and that Karen is too afraid of hurting people to speak about how much this bothers her. This event forces them to address these things, and they end up stronger for it in the end.


Chapter Fourteen

Omegacyber


I equip my monster with the Spell card ‘Axe of Despair’, said the Shadow. The arm of his massive monster changed shape, becoming an axe (ATK: 2800+1000=3800).

I also play ‘Gold Sarcophagus’, the Shadow continued, allowing me to search out any of the many cards in my deck that can destroy you!

A golden box appeared in the air ahead of the Shadow and his massive monster.

I place my chosen card in the box, and in two turns, the box opens and I win!

A card appeared and fell into the box. I never saw what it was, but I could feel that he was right. The card he had searched from his deck would kill me, if I let it.

“I won’t let you have that card,” I said. “I’ll beat you before the box opens.”

We’ll see, the Shadow taunted. For now, I attack.

The shadowy ‘Despair’ slashed my monster, the Level One ‘Level Eater’, in half.

I set one card. Make your move!

Without hesitation, I began my turn.

“I summon,” I declared, “the one monster left in my hand that can get rid of yours, my ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’! When she battles your monster, after damage is calculated, both monsters are removed from play. I attack!”

My monster, a young woman with long blonde hair, wearing a silver jumpsuit, appeared at my side. She drew her sword, a katana made of light (ATK: 1500). My monster lunged at the giant shadow creature, but just as her sword came down, armor appeared around the massive monster’s torso and head.

Reveal, the Shadow declared triumphantly, the Trap card ‘Sakuretsu Armor’, destroying your attacking monster!

The armor pulsed, destroying itself and my monster.

No matter what you do, the Shadow explained, you can’t overcome my power!

“I can try,” I replied. “I set a card and end.”


Karen


“So wait a minute,” said Thomas, “what exactly is Duel Energy anyway?”

“I never really learned exactly what it is,” I answered, “but just from context, I’ve figured out that it’s more or less the a type of energy that strong Duelists have.”

“You’re partially right,” Sheppard added. “Duel energy is strongest in strong gamers of most every type, because gamers are those who most actively struggle against their fates. Think of Duel Energy as a muscle that, when flexed, bends fate in your favor. There are different disciplines throughout the world that have been dedicated to strengthening this “muscle”. Various magics and martial arts. But gamers, because of what they are, are most likely to access these powers on their own. Additionally, there are those with a naturally high Duel Energy, or with a natural ability to control its flow. Duel Energy has been called other things throughout history, including ki, chi, chakra and ba.”

“Okay,” said Thomas, “so Duel Energy helps people bend fate. That explains what it is and how it makes some people stronger than others in a duel, but what does it have to do with this creature?”

“Duel energy is also something that bridges this dimension with the Shadows,” I answered. “If this thing is a creature of the Shadows, it needs Duel Energy to exist in this dimension. The more Duel Energy it absorbs, the closer it comes to existing in this world for good.”

“Very perceptive, young lady,” said Sheppard.

No, I thought, it’s not perception. I knew Yami Marik. I’m speaking from experience.


John


You disappoint me, human, said the Shadow. The way things are going, I won’t even need the card in the sarcophagus. You are about to die, and when you do, I will make your energy my own. I will gain power beyond anything even I could have imagined! I will be immortal!

But first, I play ‘Card of Demise’ to rebuild my hand!

The Shadow drew from his deck until he held five cards.

I summon my third ‘Fear from the Dark’! the Shadow declared, another of the smaller shadow monsters appearing at my opponent’s side (ATK: 1700). My monsters Attack, with a total offensive strength of fifty-five hundred!

I looked down at my Life Points display, showing only fifty-three fifty, I only have one chance!

“Reveal…!”

The two monsters struck. I managed to avoid serious injury from their attacks, but my Life was still hit. The larger ‘Despair from the Dark’ gouged a chunk of the floor up beneath me, knocking me down.

You’re finished! the Shadow declared, looking down on me. I was on my knees, head down, grasping an injured shoulder.

“Sorry,” I said, shaking my head, “but you’re wrong.” I looked up at the Shadow and pointed to my right, at the one detail that the Shadow had missed, my face-down Spell, revealed as the ‘Mystical Space Typhoon’. The Shadow looked about as shocked as a faceless creature can as he looked from his monster’s axe-less arm, to the Life Points display. Eight fifty.

No!

I smiled wider, “Oh yeah!” But I wasn’t as confident as I was forcing myself to appear. This is bad, I told myself. I need to finish this duel right now before things get even worse. But how?

I set three cards, the Shadow concluded, and end my turn.

“Oh, hurray!” I said sarcastically. Three face-downs? Things just keep getting better and better.

“I draw,” I declared. This is it!

I pulled my card.

“Activate,” I declared, “the ‘Pot of Greed’ Spell card to draw two cards!”

As I drew again, I mentally ran through the cards in my deck. There was only one that could help me, and even ‘Black Luster Soldier’ couldn’t win this duel for me in one turn. Not while my opponent controlled three face-down cards.

And I can’t seem to access the Soul! This thing’s power so unstable that it’s screwing up my powers. I can’t use Destiny Draw!

Please, I pleaded silently, give me something that can win this fight!

I turned over my cards, and I saw that one of them was ‘The Fiend Megacyber’. It would help, but it wouldn’t be enough to win, and to keep the Shadow from opening the sarcophagus next turn. I felt my heart sink, until I remembered the card Karen had given me, and I knew how I could win.

I barely looked at the card, I thought, and I don’t know anything about it past its summoning requirements, but it’s the only chance I have.

“You control two more monsters than I do,” I announced, “so I’m able to Special Summon ‘The Fiend Megacyber’!”

Black and yellow lightning erupted from the ground at my feet, and the yellow-armored monster appeared (ATK: 2200).

Your monster is harmless, the Shadow remarked.

“Maybe,” I replied, “but this one monster isn’t all I have. I still have three cards in my hand, and by discarding two of them,” I fed ‘D.D. Scout Plane’ and ‘Dimension Fusion’ into my Graveyard, “I can transform ‘The Fiend Megacyber’, Special Summoned through his own effect, into his most supreme form!”

My monster cried out as his armor flew off, his body glowing with a bright light. White lightning poured over him, buzzing around him, taking form. The lightning itself became white armor, lightning rolling off of it like water.

“Behold my just warrior, freed from the power of darkness,” I exclaimed, “and allowed to achieve his real potential, ‘The Fiend Omegacyber’!”

My monster spread his arms and slowly rose into the air, energy lancing between his fingertips and feet and the ground beneath him (ATK: 3000).

Your monster will fall! the Shadow declared. I reveal ‘Bottomless Trap Hole’!

“No,” I replied, “you don’t.” ‘Omegacyber’ waved his hand, slinging energy at the face-down cards that my opponent controlled, leaving them crackling with energy.

“In the turn that ‘The Fiend Omegacyber’ is summoned by his own effect,” I explained, “my opponent can’t activate any Spell or Trap cards.

“But I’m still not done!” I declared. “I’ve been saving my last card. I play ‘Special Draw’! During a turn in which I Special Summon a monster, I can play this card to draw another card, plus yet another if that monster was a Warrior-type!”

I drew again.

“Perfect! I play ‘Card of Sanctity’! We each draw until we hold six cards!”

This can’t be happening, The Shadow remarked.

I drew five cards, “It can, and it is. You underestimated me, and that is why you are going to lose this duel! I equip my monster with ‘Fusion Sword Murasame Blade’ and ‘Assault Armor’!”

The armor on my monster’s arm extended outward, forming a blade, and his lightning swirled into a white aura (ATK: 3000+800+300=4100).

“I release the ‘Assault Armor’,” I declared, and the aura pulsed outward (4100-300=3800), “allowing my monster to attack twice this turn. I attack!”

‘The Fiend Omegacyber’ charged his entire body with white, black, and yellow lightning and shot forward. He punched the ‘Fear from the Dark’, dispersing its shadowy body (8000+1700-3800=5900), pushed off of the ground with his feet, avoiding the ‘Despair’’s swiping claws, and shot upward, cutting the huge, wicked torso in half (5900+2800-3800=4900). Excess energy from the attack lanced forward and struck the Shadow. Its physical form almost broke apart, but it recovered quickly.

I’ve survived, the Shadow stated, its voice more distant than before.

“No,” I said, “you didn’t. I activate ‘Quick Summon’, tributing my monster for the ‘Great Maju Garzett’, a demon with double the Attack of the tributed monster!”

No!

‘The Fiend Omegacyber’ broke down into darkness and reformed into the massive demon that was often my most powerful card (ATK: 6000).

“I attack,” I declared, “with Vile Energy!”

‘Great Maju Garzett’ thrust his palm, releasing an energy wave that overtook the Shadow, blasting it apart. Its remnants lingered.

I could destroy it, I thought, but if I did, would the students within it survive?

I decided that I couldn’t risk it, so instead I activated my Soul. I can’t destroy this Shadow, so I’ll seal it away for as long as my seal will hold!

The Shadow began to fade, and the unconscious forms of students began to take his place, but he held on just long enough to utter one final declaration, This isn’t over. I will return!

I ignored him, running to my fallen friend Ria’s side.


Karen


The three of us, Thomas, Sheppard and I, stood in silence and waited. I felt John take a serious hit.

Come on John, I thought, you can do it. I’m right here with you.

It’s odd that you can have feelings for someone for years, but they never really affect you until they’ve been let out in the open.

Soon after he was hit, I felt John’s power rise as he made his counterattack, and only minutes later, the Shadows around the building began to fall away. Without thinking, I ran for the door.

“Wait,” said Sheppard, “you should wait for the shadows to abate completely!”

I ignored him and kept going.


John


“Ria, wake up. You okay?” I lifted her head up off of the floor as her eyes fluttered open.

“You’re okay,” I said. “Good.” I was about to stand and help her up when I felt her arms close around me. She pulled herself close, and kissed me. I pushed her away and stepped back. That’s when I heard someone behind me. I turned, and there was Karen, tears of pain and anger in her eyes. Before I could say a word, she turned, and she ran.

Card of the Day:
The Fiend Omegacyber
Played by: John

This is a card that Karen made for John. Specifically for him, for his deck, suited to his in-your-face play style, meant to fill a void in his strategy, which can often be stopped dead by the right backrow. Would it be a powerful card in the actual card game? Possibly, but it would never be widely played, because there is only one Duelist who can use this card to its full potential, and he only exists in these stories.

Original Cards in This Chapter:


Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment