Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Last Dragonborn - The Journal of Johan Abbot #19


---Heartfire, 13th, 4E 201---

  Today I found the tower hideout of the Forsworn who stole Lisbet's Dibella statue, something that I had offered to recover for her when I first met her in her shop in Markarth square. I found the statue, and then I remembered that Lisbet is dead. She was one of the cannibals at Narmina's shrine. I left the statue, unable to touch it. The more I think on it, the more I doubt I will ever return to Markarth. The place can sort out its own problems. The Forsworn, however, have officially made an enemy of me. They attack travelers on sight, and are no better than Bandits.
  At the Forsworn camp, in the tallest standing tower where the treasures were stored, the four of us encountered another of those men with the briars for hearts. He overpowered me easily with a combination of brute force and cold magic so strong that it overcame my Nord blood. It took all four of us to bring him down without serious incident.
  The benefit of an early start, we were able to continue on (after copious restoration magic, of course) to the nearby Silver Hand camp and slay them all. I took them in beast form, defeating them with ease. The others had little to do. This group had no fragment of Wuthraad, but I think Aela will be just as pleased as I to hear that another band of the bastards are gone from Nirn.
  We head next to Morthal where we will stay the night and prepare to set out tomorrow to recover Jurgen Windcaller's horn and Mjoll's lost sword Grimsever, that is unless something occurs in Morthal which requires our attention, as has become the pattern of late.
 
---Heartfire, 15th, 4E 201---

  Morthal quickly became more than a short stop on our journey. While looking for a shop at which to restock supplies, I took notice of a burned house between the inn and the Jarl's longhouse. I inquired about the house, because apparently I cannot help myself. Soon the four of us were caught up in another murder mystery. A local man lost his wife and daughter in the fire, and then pledged himself the next day to a local woman, Alva, and so he was accused of lighting the fire himself. The Jarl, Idgrod Ravencrone, didn't believe this to be true, however, and asked us to look into it.
  It turns out that Alva had been recently turned into a vampire by a Master Vampire, Morvath, living in a nearby cave. As part of a plan to enthrall the town, Alva caused these events to occur. Guided by the ghost of the dead little girl, we defeated Alva and Morvath and avenged the deaths. Morthal should be safe, for now, provided that no more of those horrible giant spiders are nearby. On our way here we were set upon by four on the road, and there were two more waiting in Morvath's lair. Add Hjaalmarch to the list of regions that I will not be returning to without great reason, I suppose.
  Worse, yet still more welcome than spiders, was the dragon that attacked the town last night. It was another of those pale and spiny Frost Dragons, and the fight against it was long and difficult, but we prevailed. Only one town guard fell in the course of the battle, and I was rewarded with the title of Thane and a new steel blade for my heroism. After all that happened, though, we will have to stay here tonight, putting us three days behind schedule.
  I recovered a strange ring from Morvath. It seems to be vampiric in nature, so I am hesitant to use it myself or give it to one of the others, but I have a strange feeling that I should hold on to it for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment