Thursday, October 9, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DE/DA Crossover Special!: A Threat To Us All - Chapter Five

I kinda feel like I miss an opportunity in this chapter of the special to have Rachel and Ria meet and clash. You know they would. And then they'd make up. Maybe hug a little. And then their eyes would meet, and their aggression would reveal itself to be something else, and they...wait, wait, that's a different idea that I had.

Sorry.

But in all seriousness, I could have had them duke it out a bit, but what could I have done? I could make them fight, like martial arts fight, but I already did that with Rachel and Rocky. I could make them duel, but I already did that with Rachel and Rocky, and Rachel and Kimi, so I don't really see the point. This chapter is long enough anyway, with all kinds of exposition, some of which is pretty redundant if you read the source stories. I simply can't bring myself to pad it out any further.


Chapter Five

Coming Together


When I woke up again I was lying on a cot in a different room, decked out with the kind of stuff that you might find in a hospital room or a clinic. Me being me, this freaked me right the Hell out. I don't like doctors much, and I especially don't like hospitals, or places that resemble hospitals.

I sat up quickly, instantly awake, and looked around, a little frantically, only calming down when I saw Karen standing nearby, moving to stand beside me. She'd been talking to Rocky and the girl with the long dark hair, but when she'd heard me jostle my bed, she'd turned immediately to make sure I was alright, sounding relieved as she said, "John, you're awake."

"Far as I can tell," I agreed, "but my head's still pretty fogged up."

"You put out a huge amount of magical energy all at once," the dark-haired girl said as she and Rocky joined Karen directly at my bedside, "It's no surprise that you'd feel weakened."

She smiled, looking rather impressed, "I never knew any one person could have that much magical energy. You're just as strong as Rocky always said."

That's when it clicked that I knew who these people were, "You guys are the Duelists Elite."

"That's right," Rocky answered, gesturing to the girl, "this is my friend Rachel. The others who were with us were Kimi and Marcus, of course, Rachel's brother Charlie, and Marco."

"What's going on here?" I asked, feeling like the last guy to hear the latest gossip. "What was that thing that attacked us?"

Rocky did his best to explain, but he kept veering off on tangents to explain his explanations, which included too many terms and too many names of people that I simply didn't know. Finally I stopped him, "Maybe you should just start at the beginning, and tell me everything that happened since you joined up with the Elite?"

So that's what he did, starting with his duel with Prof to prove himself worthy to join, and then moving on to explanations of Elite and it's mission, and then to the story of his first mission with them, where he'd lost his new friend James. He told me about the rise of Emperor, the revelation that Emperor was trying to bring together the seven most powerful Shadow Items to reshape the world in the image he desired, the mysterious arrival of Marco, who Rocky didn't seem to want to talk about much.

He told me about Prof and his crazy, but accurate, calculations, of Greg's power to place his soul in objects all over the globe, via the Shadow Millennium Ring, and about the invasion of the Elite. He told me about the kidnapping of Greg's brother, Tim (Rachel went red in the face at the mention of this name), the death of Greg at Emperor's hand, the mission to rescue Tim from Emperor, and finally, the difficult revelation that Tim was Emperor. He told me, with a pained expression, of Emperor's death at his hand, and Rachel gave him a funny look which told me there was more to that story, but that I shouldn't try to learn what it was.

"After that," Rocky explained, "I decided that I'd had enough of fighting, of tearing things down. I decided to build something instead. So I went and found Kimi in Japan. It was the only ending that made sense for me, and we've been together since."

"It's about time," I told him. He was smiling happily. I looked over at Karen, understanding exactly how he felt.

"But then," Rocky continued, "Rachel showed up just today and asked me to come back. She said that a new threat had arisen, and that she needed my help to face it."

"We tried to fight it without Rocky," Rachel explained, "using the Shadow Millennium Items, but we failed, and Prof was absorbed into that thing."

"Prof's the one with the crazy calculation skills?" I asked.

"Yeah," Rachel answered, and looked over at another cot. I followed her gaze and saw the man who I'd pulled from the creature. He wore a black metal ring around his neck, and had a metallic eye.

"That's Prof," I realized, "and that ring pendant is the Item that Greg used to put bits of his soul all over the place."

"That's right," Rocky said, "but no one since Greg has been able to get that particular power to work. Prof was using it simply for it's superior power as a Shadow Millennium Item."

"Did you guys kill that thing?" I asked hopefully. I'd seen that thing's powers first hand, and I wasn't eager for a repeat demonstration.

"Not even close," Rachel answered, crossing her arms.

"Then it's going to attack again," I told them. "Do we know if it wants something in particular?"

"That's the funny thing," Rachel answered, giving me a mildly suspicious look, "it seems to be after you."

"What?" I stood up too quickly and nearly collapsed. Karen and Rocky caught me and helped me to steady myself.

"It attacked us here first," Rachel told me, "even before we could consolidate our forces and move against it, and then it went right for you on your ship. We think that it's because of your huge magical energy. It must have been drawn to it, like a bee to nectar,"

"Okay," I said, accepting her point uncontested, "but why. Why Prof, and why me?"

"Does it need a reason?" Rachel asked indignantly. "It's a monster. It sensed that we were a threat, so it came after us. It saw that Prof, with his intellect, was the real threat among us, so it removed him from the equation. It sensed your power, and tried to make your power its power."

"Basically," Karen summed up, "the best they can figure, it's acting on instinct. If there's more to its behavior, it isn't the kind of thing that would make any sense to us. All they do know is that, once it's recovered fully from its last encounter with us, it'll be back. If it's still after you, it'll be back here specifically. That's what we were discussing when you woke up."

"We need to prepare," I reasoned. "We have the Souls. You guys have the Shadow Millennium Items. Thomas has his Duel Monster spirit. We'll just have to hope it's enough."

"The Shadow Millennium Items together couldn't do a thing to it," Rachel argued, "and now we're three Items short. Maybe with your Souls added to the mix we can hurt it. After all, that's why I brought Rocky in, for his Soul power. But we used our plan on it on the ship, and it just kept recovering as quick as we could hurt it."

"I can carry one of the Items in addition to me Soul," I told her. "So can Karen, and I'm sure Kimi or Rocky would be too. That way none of you guys will have to double up and risk being corrupted."

"That'll work for the Ring and Raph's Pendant," said Rocky thoughtfully, "but the Eye is part of Prof now. It's one of the strongest Items, so it has a steeper trade-off. Prof is the only person who could safely remove it now."

I looked grimly at my allies, "Then two out of three will have to do."

Karen took the Shadow Millennium Pendant from the unconscious Raphael, and I received the Shadow Millennium Ring from the unconscious Prof. As I put it around my neck, I felt my own energy flare, so much so that I had trouble reining it in. It was unsettling, but also kind of a rush. It's hard to explain to someone who has never used the power of either a Soul or a Shadow Item, but where the Souls really feel like a part of us Soul Wielders, like something completely natural akin to an arm or leg, Shadow Items are different. They're more raw, and less controlled. They feel like something apart from the wielder, like a tool, and a pretty clumsy one at that, and this was my first time using one.

I could feel my own energy being amplified, but unlike with my Soul, I could feel the Item amplifying the energy of the dark me as well. On any other day, this would have bothered me, but I'd just seen a kid, a kid, control his dark side perfectly. I felt that I should be able to do the same. Between that feeling and the anxiety of the coming battle, I simply didn't see my darkness as a reason to worry today. In fact, I'd allowed a truly horrible idea begin to form in the back of my mind that maybe, just maybe, I could do the same thing that Marco did.

Of course I was wrong, I just didn't know it yet.

"Where will it attack?" Kimi asked Rachel and the other Elite. The ten of us were gathered in the room with the Duel Disk arenas, which Rocky called the Arena Room, to discuss what was to come next.

"Last time," Rachel's stern, unemotional brother Charlie answered, "we sensed it outside the installation, right above us out on the mountain. We went outside, to the runway directly above this room, to meet it in battle so that it wouldn't try to break through the rock face and cause a cave in. We expect something similar to happen this time."

"What should we do?" Ria asked, referring to herself and Thomas.

"From what I understand," Charlie answered, completely unsympathetically, "you can't do anything. Only one of you has any magical power, and it's insubstantial."

"My magic might come from a Duel Monster instead of a fancy necklace," Thomas argued, "and I may not like the whole magic thing much in general, but I'm going to help my friends fight if I can."

"And I can handle myself," Ria added. "In fact, I'm sure I could make a real difference if you'd give me one of those Shadow Item things."

In that moment I could have backed Ria up, and even offered to let her use the Shadow Millennium Ring, but I hesitated. I was still wrestling with the idea of releasing my darkness, and I wanted the power of the Item to put toward enhancing my control, and my powers. So instead it was Karen who spoke up, "I may not agree with Ria often, or ever really, but she does have a point. She's easily the most stubborn and tenacious person I've ever met. Let her fight, and she won't stop until the enemy falls, or she simply can't get up anymore herself."

Karen removed the Shadow Millennium Pendant from around her neck and handed it to Ria, who put it on, looking a bit awed.

"Just concentrate," Karen explained, "and you shouldn't have a problem making it work."

"Are we handing Shadow Items out to just anyone these days?" Marco griped. The others more or less ignored his bad attitude.

"Alright," Rachel said thoughtfully, eyeing Ria with uncertainty, "now that we've got that worked out, for better or worse, let's go over our strategy. Once this shows up, we'll-."

"Give it what it wants," I interrupted.

"Excuse me?" Charlie asked, looking at me like I'd grown a second head.

"It may or may not want Prof, but it definitely wants me," I explained. "If I'm there waiting for it, it should make me the focus of its attack. If I'm there to distract it, maybe your original plan can work, and if not, with the power of the Ring added to my own power, I should be able to manipulate this thing like I can manipulate any other shadows. I don't know if I can kill it, but I should be able to draw it into a Shadow Game. If it's really an unintelligent animal, it should be simple for me to beat it, and use the Penalty to destroy it."

"You're crazy," said Marco, astonished. He looked to Rachel, "Please tell me you aren't considering this."

"Hey," I said, before Rachel could respond, "this is what I do. In the last three years I killed a Shadow Demon and an evil God. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've practically got a black belt in killing-things-with-Shadow-Games-fu."

"John's right," Rocky said, backing me up to his friends. "I've seen him in action. If anyone can pull off something like this, it's him."

"Well," Rachel said with a little smirk on her face that said she still wasn't convinced that I wasn't crazy (and of course neither am I), "It seems like you've got everything figured out. Will you even need the rest of us?"

"Of course I will," I told them all. "Like I said, Our first course of action should be to try your collective attack again, and if that does fail, this thing can still multitask like crazy. If I'm going to fight it one-on-one, I need backup there to make sure it stays one-on-one. Maybe you can even continue your attack against it while I fight. Hit it on a second front."

"I still don't understand what you mean," Rachel said, "when you describe what this thing is."

I paused, struggling to put into words something that I didn't fully understand myself, "This creature isn't just one thing. It's dozens, maybe hundreds, of creatures all acting together as one. They all have very similar goals and methods, but they aren't exactly the same. They all communicate, coordinating their efforts to further the efforts of the creature as a whole, allowing the entire creature to multitask effortlessly, but at the same time it's completely unpredictable, because it's not just one mind that you have to predict,"

"That does explain why we had so much trouble fighting it directly when it first showed up," Charlie decided.

"That's right," said the injured Marcus, his bandages matting his short, light brown hair, pushing it up at the top, "it wasn't until we had Rocky to hold it all in place that we were able to damage it at all, but even then some of it still leaked out of Rocky's shield circle, avoiding our attack and keeping the thing alive so it could regenerate."

"Then this time I'll lend my power to Rocky," Karen suggested. "I'm the only person here who doesn't even have their cards with them, so if it comes to direct combat I'll do as much good as a guy with his arm in a sling."

She looked at Marcus apologetically, "No offense."

She looked to the rest of us and continued, "Anyway, my Soul of Imagination has a huge pool of energy to draw upon. It's unfocused, and therefore difficult to utilize, but if I use Rocky's Soul as a lens to focus that power-."

"-It'll make my Soul much stronger," Rocky agreed. "It's worth a try."

The others looked at Rocky, Karen and I with mixed expressions. Kimi was on our side, but the Elite members, Rachel especially, clearly weren't too sure. It was obvious to everyone present that the direction this battle took would depend on Rachel. This was her house, and that made it her party, and she didn't really strike me as the kind of person who would just step aside and let someone who she'd just met lead her and her people into battle. Then the mountain began to shake, and I saw Rachel's indecision disappear. She looked at me, "Aye aye, captain."

In moments we were filing through an upward-sloping corridor to the surface.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment