Monday, October 27, 2014

Digimon Adventure ND Book One: Manipulamon Reigns - Chapter One

Here's another old story. Another really old story. A long time ago, when I was super young, Digimon was a thing. I loved Digimon, and I obsessed over it. My sister loved it, and my cousins loved it too, and we used to play it together. I loved it so much that I wrote my own story. It was so different from this one that I can't even remember all that it was about, but it was what got me started writing, and inserting characters based on my family members was how I got the ideas for my subsequent Yu-Gi-Oh! characters, as the characters in my Digimon story were developing in the same direction as those characters eventually did before I pretty much gave up on this in favor of my Yu-Gi-Oh! story, which I found more fun and exciting to create. This makes the John, Jen, Kris, Amanda and Sarah in this story effectively alternate versions of those later characters. Sarah is still the temper, John the leader, Jen the brain, and Kris the airhead. Amanda is the only one who is different, as the kid character who has to grow up too fast.

John, in this story, is not a martial artist, but he and Sarah are both athletes. Jen isn't goth, and she's possibly even faster at problem solving than her counterpart. Sarah isn't as angry or loudmouthed, and more determined. Originally this story had no Tucker, Rocky, Karen, or any of them, but it did have a different original character who eventually became based on a friend of mine of the same name. Because I'm feeling nostalgic, I've decided to resurrect this story and improve upon it. I have ideas for chapters and plot threads that I never could have pulled off even a few years back when I tried this once before. I also have an idea of making this an actual alternate reality to my Yu-Gi-Oh! story, with more of the characters from that story here, in this one. This will offer me the unique opportunity to explore some of those characters in completely different environments, with different backgrounds, allegiances, and motivations. I think it'll be a lot of fun for me, and I hope it'll be fun for you as well.

This will be easier than writing a story from scratch like I'm doing with Reaper, as I'm going back and refurbishing old chapters, at least for a while, so it shouldn't compete with Reaper for my time too much. Also, it'll be more content here, which I figure is always a good thing. Not to mention that this is a lot more family friendly, so to speak, than Reaper is going to be, and more easily enjoyed by everyone, and really that's why I do this: to tell stories, and bring enjoyment to people (including myself, of course). So please, give this story of kids on an adventure a chance, and have some fun! 



Chapter One

Roar, Dragonterramon!


Have you ever heard of Digimon? Well we have. Me and my friends and family, specifically my sister, my cousins, and a mutual friend of ours, Jeremy. The event that started everything happened years ago, so many that I don't remember the events leading up to that night. I don't remember why Jeremy had moved out of state with his family only recently, or why we were all at Jen's place, chatting over the internet with Jeremy on the computer in Jen's basement. The actual events, however, I will never forget, because that's the night that we, along with hundreds of other people around the world, saw Digimon battling on the internet for the fate of everyone.

I learned later on that most of the people who witnessed that event became partnered with Digimon. They'd been changed by what they'd seen, and so the universe gifted them with an important destiny. Eventually the same happened to us, but it took us longer to find our destiny, and the partners that we met came from a different place than the rest, because we were different. That night, when we saw the Digimon online, something saw us back.


Fast-forward to present day. It had been a while since we'd talked to Jeremy, but the rest of us would get together every week and discuss Digimon. We'd search the net for sightings, share theories, and sometimes even go out looking for them. The ones that day had been in the internet, but there had been sightings since then of Digimon in the physical world, in our world. This Saturday, however, Jen’s younger sister Kris was home sick with the flu, but the rest of us, my cousin Jen, 12, my cousin Amanda, 7, my sister Sarah, 10, and myself John, age 14, were upstairs in my bedroom.

The girls were busy building Digimon models out of some old building blocks, while I tried hard to hide the fact that I was building a Digimon of my own, a black dragon, from my perch upon my bed, sitting back in my favorite comfy black jeans, wearing a white t shirt with a soccer ball on it under an open orange button up, lined with grey on the inside. My unruly bushy brown hair was held back out of my eyes by a pair of wraparound sunglasses that I wore on my head.

Jen, who was as tall as me (and stronger) despite being younger, and a girl, was wearing a vibrant dark pink and white shirt with a heart on it under a red zip up hoody, which were a strong contrast to her hair and eyes, which were as dark as mine. Sarah herself was a contrast to our oldest cousin, with blonde hair, blue eyes, and a lighter complexion. She even dressed lighter, wearing a soccer t shirt a lot like mine (she's in the younger division of the same league) and cargo shorts under a checkered yellow button up. The pair was busy building a model of a brown horse.

Amanda, the youngest, sat a little ways apart from Jen and Sarah in a powder blue t shirt under a white jacket, her hair, which was on the lighter side of brown, cut so that it hung just past her ears. She was working on a model that looked like a lizard or something, though it was hard to tell because it wasn’t very good.

"You guys are such kids, playing with your little blocks," I declared.

"We know you're building one too, John," said Jen frankly.

“Yeah, well, I bet mine could beat yours,” I told Sarah and Jen, no better comeback coming to mind.

“No way,” said Jen, “ours is better.”

“But wouldn’t it be cool if it was a black horse?” I asked.

“No way!” said Sarah.

“Black is creepy,” said Amanda.

I chuckled and went back to work, my concentration interrupted almost immediately.

“Does anyone else hear that?” Jen asked.

“Hear what?” Sarah replied.

“That whistling sound,” said Jen.

“Yeah, I hear it,” I said. “Like a high pitched ringing?”

“Exactly!”

“What could it be?” asked Sarah.

“Uh, guys,” said Amanda, holding up her model, “it’s coming from these.”

We held our models up to our ears, but even as we did, something happened. Something weird. Sarah and Jen’s horse, my dragon, and Amanda’s lizard began to glow. Sarah's and Jen's split into two, and they flew into our pockets. I reached in after the glow that had once been one of my toys, and found only my cell phone. The others did the same, and pulled out cell phones as well, each a different model, some new, some old, but all glowing with a bright light for several seconds before changing into identical devices with only a few buttons, and each with a small screen.

My device then turned orange and black, Sarah’s turned pink and white, Jen’s turned red and violet, and Amanda’s turned gray and blue. They glowed brightly, the high-pitched sound returned, growing louder and louder, and suddenly all four of us blacked out.


When I awoke I found myself lying sprawled out in a clearing covered by patchy grass and surrounded by tall, thick trees. Jen, Amanda, and Sarah were just waking up as well.

I looked around, disoriented. “Where are we?” I asked.

“No clue,” Jen answered, “but I don’t think we’re in Ohio anymore.”

“You’re not!”

I looked around. The excited-sounding voice that had just spoken was unfamiliar. A young-sounding kinda raspy voice. “Who said that?” I asked, standing up and looking around again. That’s when I saw them. There were five of them standing in a small group. A stout blue dinosaur-like creature standing on his hind legs, Two small furry horse-head creatures, legless, one black and one brown, a tiny pony, no taller than a medium-sized dog, and a little green snake with purple stripes down its back and a purple diamond shape on its head.

“I did,” answered the snake, and my suspicions were confirmed. I knew where we were.

“W-We’re in the Digimon World,” I said. “And you guys are Digimon!”

“Not just any Digimon,” the snake said, “we’re your partner Digimon.”

“Our partner Digimon!” said Jen. “You mean it? Wait, what does that mean?” She looked over at me questioningly, and I shrugged.

"It means," the snake said, "that we were drawn here to meet you guys!"

"You were just brought from your world," said the dinosaur, "because you have some purpose here, and it's our job to help you!"

"We know all about you already," the small pony added. "You guys are our destiny!"

“Yep,” said the brown horse-head Digimon in an excited, perky voice, looking at Jen. “I’m your partner, Mainemon.”

“And Sarah,” said the small pony, “I’m your partner Digimon, DemiPonymon.”

“And I’m your Digimon, Amanda,” said the dinosaur, his voice airy and high-pitched. “Call me Chomon!”

“And John,” said the snake, “I’m Snakemon, and this hairball is BlackMainemon, my best pal, and we’re your partner Digimon!”


“Why do you get two?” Amanda whined. Oh, did I forget to mention? Amanda whines. A lot.

“That’s not important right now,” I said, balancing annoyance with the excitement that I was already feeling. “We’re really in the Digimon World! All of these years hoping, and finally I'm here in the Digimon World!”

"It's Digital World, actually," the black horse-head, BlackMainemon, stated.

“Yeah,” said Jen, ignoring him, “but being here poses the question of weather or not we can get back home now.”

“You mean that we can’t go home?!” screamed Amanda. She stopped whining, only to start crying. You guessed it. Amanda cries a lot too. It's a side effect of being so young, but that doesn't mean that any of us enjoyed it.

“No, no,” said Jen, kneeling down to look Amanda in the eye. “I only meant that we have to figure it out first. That’s all!”

Amanda immediately stopped crying. “Okay then,” she said. “I’ll just go play with Chomon until you do.” And like that she was off.

We all sighed.

“Thank God,” said Jen. “Now we can get some real discussion done.”

Without realizing it, we had leaned into a huddle. We had barely begun talking when Snakemon, who had somehow climbed onto my back without being noticed, dropped his head into the circle. “What you guys talkin’ about?” He nearly startled me to a heart attack, which is a real trick, considering that I'm in awesome health.

“Oh,” I said, “nothing. We were just wondering how to get home if we need to.”

“Well,” said Snakemon, dropping to the ground as Sarah, Jen, and I spread apart, “you can talk to us. We’re here to help you.”

I looked to Jen, and then to Sarah, and then said, “Okay, let’s see what you’ve got.”

But they never got a chance to because, just then, Amanda came out of the woods with Chomon at her heels, screaming in terror. “John,” she cried, “a giant snake! A giant snake attacked us!”

And just like that, a giant black snake rose above the trees, its head held as high as a third story window. Sharp spines ran all down his back.

"Friend of yours, Snakemon?" I asked, but he wasn't listening.

“Oh no,” said Snakemon, “that’s Serpenterramon! He’s an Adult Level, two levels above us!”

“No matter,” said BlackMainemon, speaking for only the second time since we had arrived. “We are here to protect the children, so that’s what we’re gonna do.” He rushed eagerly between us and Serpenterramon. The other Digimon followed suit. A flick of Serpenterramon's tail sent them flying. But moments later, at BlackMainemon's prompting, the Digimon were back up, and the cell phone sized devices that each of us had been given came online, buzzing and vibrating, the screens flashing.

“What's going on?” Sarah asked, holding the device away from her.”

“We saw this on the internet,” I said. “Those kids had things like these, and when they used them, their Digimon got stronger.”

“How do we use them, then?” Sarah asked. I didn't have an answer, but Jen did.

“If we are supposed to be here, then we should already know. Just do what feels right!”

I took a breath, and stopped thinking about the device in my hand, and I found myself pressing a button on it and raising it up. The others, even Amanda, did the same, and the Digimon changed.

“Snakemon…”

“BlackMainemon…”

“DemiPonymon…”

“Mainemon…”

“Chomon…”

“…Digivolve to…”

Snakemon changed into a longer, fiercer-looking black snake with ridges above his eyes, “Serpentmon!”

BlackMainemon became a small black horse about one and a half times the size of DemiPonymon, “BlackColtmon!”

DemiPonymon grew until she was just barely smaller than BlackColtmon, “Ponymon!”

Mainemon grew until her was the same size and build as BlackColtmon, “Coltmon!”

Chomon grew until he was as big as a Saint Bernard, standing on all fours. He was a baby Brontosaurus with a collar around his neck. Tucked into the collar was a shiny golden red feather, “Chickomon.”

"Whoa," I said. They changed shape, just like the ones on the net all those years ago!

The Digimon in their new forms stood to face their foe. He glared down at them with yellow eyes and hiss/roared, baring long, vicious-looking fangs. Jen and Sarah held Amanda. I stood ready to defend them any way that I could.

It was then that Serpenterramon began his offensive. “Serpent Fang!” he hissed, and a huge fang shot from his throat at Serpentmon. Serpentmon and the others leaped away moments before the fang hit the ground and exploded, scattering dirt clumps and rocks high into the air. Serpentmon and Chickomon spun around quickly. Serpentmon called out “Serpent Strike!” and a hundred tiny explosive fang-shaped needles shot from his mouth and hammered the foe. Chickomon jumped and slammed Serpenterramon, BlackColtmon kicked him with hooves wreathed in black fire, and Coltmon and Ponymon tackled him to the ground. I was relieved that we were alive, and about to congratulate my new friends, but I was stopped when Serpenterramon got right back up.

“We’re too weak!” said Coltmon

“We have to Digivolve again!” said Ponymon. I knew she was probably right, but I have a problem with leaving things in other peoples’ hands. Serpenterramon was preparing for another attack. I jumped between Serpenterramon and the Digimon to shield them from harm.

“John, get back!” said Serpentmon. Serpenterramon launched his attack. Serpentmon jumped onto my shoulder and sprung toward the enormous fang, just as the small device came alive for a second time. This time I didn't have to do anything else for Serpentmon to change again.

“Serpentmon, Digivolve to!” he grew huge. About ten and a half, eleven feet tall, and over twenty feet long. His body thickened and he grew short but strong arms ending in claws, and powerful legs ending in mighty talons. Sharp triangular spikes sprouted along his back. Fin-like protrusions sprouted from either side of the back of his head, and he grew rows of razor sharp teeth in his lengthening maw.

“That’s the dragon I built,” I said. “That’s -.”

My dragon raised his head high, and with unfaltering confidence declared his name, “Dragonterramon!”

Dragonterramon spun in midair, deflecting Serpenterramon’s fang attack with his powerful tail. The fang spun away into the forest, exploding, and tossing several trees out of the ground. Dragonterramon landed firm and called, “Terra Flame!”

He opened his mouth wide and spewed flames that engulfed his foe. Serpenterramon broke down into floating pixels, like a cloud of dust, and broke apart, the pixels fading away as they drifted through the air. Dragonterramon changed back into Serpentmon, and the girls stopped screaming and my knees stopped shaking. I fell to my knees, relieved that we had survived, the adrenaline still pumping hard through my veins. I allowed myself to feel relieved only for the sake of the others, but I wasn't stupid. As excited as I still was to be in the Digital World, I had come to a realization. The Digital World was a dangerous place, and this danger would not be the last.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment