Monday, October 6, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DE/DA Crossover Special!: A Threat To Us All - Chapter Two

We interrupt this Yu-Gi-Oh! story to bring you cute domestic stuff! I guess the first chapter was a little bit like that, too, but here, with Rocky and Kimi, it just seems more obvious to me. Maybe it's because they're in their apartment, or maybe its just that I love writing these characters as a couple and find it adorable, but either way, it is what it is. And there is the creepy stuff in the second half of the chapter to make up for it.


Chapter Two

Scary Stories



Rocky


I stood across from Kimi on a weathered red exercise mat in the spare room of my somewhat crappy apartment in Tokyo, Japan. We were both wearing second hand Karate gi that I’d found at a shop. Kimi’s was loose around her small frame, and she’d had to pin it up almost as thoroughly as she had her straight black hair.

“I’m not sure about this, Robby,” Kimi said, speaking Japanese.

“You’re the one who said you needed to learn to defend yourself, Kim,” I replied in only slightly less fluent Japanese. I’d made a point to learn over the last couple of years, and now I could speak Kimi’s native tongue almost as well as she could.

“Talk is one thing,” Kimi replied anxiously.

“Come on,” I coaxed her, “where’s that positive attitude of yours?”

“Sitting in the corner,” She answered, “where you can’t flip it onto its back.”

“You’ll be fine,” I told her. “Now watch me.”

I showed her the hand motion again, the one that we’d been working on all evening, “See, it’s not all too difficult. When I come at you, just take a step and do what I just did and you’ll be fine.”

I stepped in close, moving slowly, swinging my hand upward toward her torso in a sweeping motion. Kimi brought her hands forward, clasping my wrist, stepped, turned, and pinned my arm against my back.

“Good,” I praised, “very good. Just remember, the most common weapon you’ll see on the street will be a knife, short enough to conceal, but still deadly, and the most common attack you’ll see, especially from a more experienced knife-wielder, will be one similar to the motion I just demonstrated. You’re going to be smaller than basically anyone who’ll try to mug you, so ideally your next move would be to use your new found leverage to pin your opponent against a wall, giving you a chance to disarm them. Let’s try a couple more times, this time in real time, and then we’ll move on to the best way to counter a slashing motion.”

“Fine,” Kimi conceded, “just don’t flip me.”

“I’m not gonna knock you on your back,” I told her.

She smiled mischievously, “Well, not this early in the evening at least.”

She turned and looked seductively back over her shoulder, making me blush, and resumed the starting position. I moved to attack her again, but I was understandably distracted. Kimi moved fast, grasping my arm, turning, and flipping me. She knelt down beside me, smiling smugly, “How was that?”

I smiled up at her, “Not bad.”

“Hm,” Kimi said, lying down on top of me, “I think I deserve a reward.”

We kissed passionately, remaining that way for several minutes before we were startled apart by the sound of someone in the corner of the room clearing their throat. I sprung to my feet, ready to defend us both, “Who’s there?”

“Calm down Rocky,” came a familiar voice, speaking English, “you wouldn’t be able to beat me anyway.”

I smiled and relaxed my stance and replied, speaking English as well, “I don’t know. I seem to recall that last time we fought, I won.”

The newcomer chuckled and stepped out of the shadows. She was between mine and Kimi’s height with glossy brown hair, and piercing, intelligent dark eyes, an ever-taunting smile playing across her face.

“Hello, Rachel,” I told her, “It’s good to see you. You could’ve knocked though…”

“I didn’t mean to interrupt,” my old friend insisted, looking uncharacteristically embarrassed, and quite amused, as she adjusted the dark-gray-colored metallic necklace that she wore, tucking it under the collar of her scruffy dark brown jacket.

I saw Kimi out of the corner of my eye, scrutinizing Rachel, “Robby, who’s your friend?”

“Right,” I said, gesturing toward our guest, “Kimi, I told you about Rachel, my old friend from the Duelist’s Elite.”

Kimi glared a little before she finally smiled, a little falsely, and said, “Of course, nice to meet you.”

She offered Rachel a hand to shake, and I could almost feel the tension spark between the two young women, setting off my protective instincts to the point that I almost threw up a magical barrier between them.

“Uhm,” I said, stepping quickly between them instead, “it’s not that it isn’t good to see you again, Rachel, but why are you here? I doubt you would have gone so far as to teleport into my apartment unless something was going on.”

Rachel’s eyes darkened and her expression grew grim, “Rocky, we need you again. The Elite needs you again.”

Kimi and I got changed back into our street clothes, which for me meant jeans, an orange long sleeve t-shirt, and a survival vest, and for Kimi meant a sun yellow mini-skirt, a white t-shirt bearing the name of her school in yellow Kanji, and a thin black vest over top. Afterward we rejoined Rachel in the living room/kitchen where she sat on an old run-down couch that Kimi and I had bought from a second hand shop back when I’d moved in. It wasn’t pretty, but it was comfortable. Kimi sat down in an equally run-down arm chair across from the couch (which had come with the apartment, in case you were wondering), and I sat down at the opposite end of the couch and turned toward Rachel. She’d helped herself to some tea from the kitchen and was letting it get cold in her hand while she stared absentmindedly out the window at the city below.

“Rachel,” I said, drawing her attention back to the situation at hand, “I thought the Elite was over?”

“It is,” Rachel answered, “it was, but a couple months back Prof appeared out of nowhere, as he tends to do, and told me he was getting a bunch of us back together. He said that he’d calculated a new threat, bigger and stronger than Emperor, and that we needed to be ready in case it was something only our Shadow Magic could stop.”

“How many is ‘a bunch’?” I asked.

“Just me, Charlie, Marco, Marcus and Raph. Prof wanted to bring you in right away too, but I convinced him not to.”

She took my hand, “I knew you were trying to build something, and I didn’t want you to have to relive everything that happened.”

“Are you kidding?” I asked. “You went through way more than I did.”

Rachel laughed and gestured and Kimi, who didn’t seem very excited by how things were going, “You have somebody. I don’t. All I know is fighting. Conflict makes me feel better, you know that.”

I nodded, “Okay, then why did you come for me now? Did something happen?”

Rachel looked upset as she answered, “We fought it. We fought it, all of us together, and we lost. Marcus was seriously injured, Raph’s still unconscious and we don’t know when he’ll wake up, and Prof’s gone, absorbed into the thing that attacked us, along with the Shadow Millennium Eye and Ring.”

“You guys were using the other Items!?” I demanded, piquing Kimi’s interest. I’d refused to tell her much about the Shadow Millennium Items after my time with the Elite, despite her prodding, “Didn’t Prof say something about the Items having a corrupting effect on the user? That they might have been the reason why Timothy went so far as to betray us in the first place?”

“I get it,” Rachel said defensively, “you think the Items are too dangerous, that we should have melted them down, but Prof is sure that the Items won’t corrupt as long as no one uses more than one or two at a time.”

She looked away, and I knew that she was thinking about Timothy, who had genuinely wanted to do good until he'd gotten his hands on enough of the Items that they twisted his goals into something else.

“But why,” I asked, “why those Items? I get why you keep the Necklace, it’s important to you, but is this thing really so strong that you needed all of the Item’s? And who carried the Rod?”

“Charlie wielded the Rod,” Rachel answered. “He’s the best at controlling Shadow Items and their powers, at keeping them from overwhelming him. Marcus carried the Scales, and Raph carried the Pendant, since he has the most Duel Energy out of all of us. Marco wielded the Key, even though the other Marco wasn’t really too happy about the idea. And yes, Rocky, the threat is that big, that powerful. Prof realized early on that without you there the Shadow Millennium Items were our only real chance. They should have been enough, and would have been if the thing weren’t so damn hard to damage. That’s why we need you now. Your powers should be able to hold the thing together long enough for us to hit it, and your Soul will more than make up for the loss of two Items.”

She looked desperate. She was reeling. Rachel is strong and smart, but she isn’t a planner. She relies on Prof for that, and now he was gone along with two of the seven most powerful Shadow Items on Earth. Rachel wasn’t sure what to do. She was doing her best, but she wasn’t sure.

“Making up the difference might not be enough,” I said. “This thing survived all seven Shadow Millennium Items. Even if I hold this thing in place so that our spells and attacks can hit it, we need a plan. We need to be sure we’ll kill it all at once before it can regroup.”

“I’ll help,” Kimi spoke up.

“I can’t ask you to do that,” Rachel argued, “you aren’t Elite.”

Kimi argued right back, “I can handle myself. Maybe you’d like to find out?”

Now I like Rachel. She’s one of my best friends ever, and the only girl I’ve ever been remotely interested in besides Kimi. I trust her. I’m also a little terrified of her, and if there’s one thing you never want to do, it’s call her out.

Rachel smiled smugly, “Alright, fine, let’s have a duel, and if you actually beat me, I’ll welcome you along.”

“Kim-,” I began.

“Don’t argue with me, Robby,” she interrupted. “You’re always protecting me, but that can’t happen forever. I’m going to beat Sassy here, and I’m going with you to fight.”

I smiled and reached across to her, taking her hand, “I was just gonna say be careful. Rachel’s tough.”

Kimi smiled appreciatively and nodded, “Come on, Sassy, we’ll use the exercise room.”

She stood up, grabbed her Duel Disk, cards included, from its usual place on the side table, and made her way into the other room, looking badass. Rachel followed.

I smiled, I have a feeling that this is going to be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment