Thursday, October 2, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DA: The Phantom Seal - Chapter Twenty-Two

What is there to say about this chapter. Shepperd, Thomas and Ria do okay. Oh, and Dark Simourgh is featured. I like Dark Simourgh.


Chapter Twenty-Two

The Beasts Attack!
Arrival of a Demon


John


“Now, Johnny,” said Shin mockingly, “I’ll finish my turn by having the dark fairy attack you, Darklight!”

The wicked ‘Dark Valkyria’ unleashed her dark energy. I was hit before I could even react, and as I watched my right arm from just below my elbow down to my wrist melted away, into the darkness. It hurt, but not any more than the typical Shadow Game. It was really the shock factor that made it as bad as it was. I mean, my ankle and arm were gone, and yet my fingers and toes still worked! It was creepy.

But I couldn’t show weakness. Karen was worse off than me. I had to stay strong, if only for her.

“Nice trick, Shin,” I said, “but I’ve seen worse. Still this is getting pretty out of hand. Let’s get things moving, shall we? Because you control at least two more monsters than me, I can Special Summon my favorite card, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’.”

My warrior appeared in a burst of light and static (ATK: 2200).

“And I normal summon my ‘Stygian Street Patrol’,” the demonic road cop appeared, revving his motorcycle (ATK: 1600).

“My ‘Street Patrol’ attacks your ‘Harpie Lady 1’,” I declared, “scoring a double knockout.”

The two monsters charged each other, one on feathered wings, and one aback a roaring piece of streamlined steel. ‘Stygian Street Patrol’ took aim and fired his blasters, just as the ‘Harpie’ swiped with her claws, releasing a wave of deadly razor-sharp wind. Both monsters were instantly destroyed.

“With ‘Harpie Lady 1” gone from the field,” I continued, “the Attack of your ‘Sisters’ returns to normal (ATK: 1950), leaving them vulnerable to ‘Fiend Megacyber’’s Megacyber Impact!”

My armored warrior charged his fist with static energy and lunged into the midst of the three-in-one monster, punching the ground and unleashing an explosion of static that vaporized his foes (8000+1950-2200=7750).

“Now it’s my turn,” Karen announced. “I can tell that you’ve got something big coming, Shin, so I’ll prepare for it by summoning the biggest monster in my deck. ‘Polymerization’ fuses ‘Big Koala’ and ‘Toon Des Kangaroo’ in my hand,” a cartoon of a Kangaroo wearing boxing gloves and a massive, powder blue koala appeared and merged into an even larger koala-like creature with a kangaroo’s tail and legs, wearing boxing gloves, a vest, and carrying a championship belt slung over its shoulder, “forming ‘Master of Oz’ (ATK: 4200)!

“I attack,” Karen declared, “with my monster’s immense fist!” ‘Master of Oz’ swung a mighty fist, striking Shin’s final monster, the ‘Dark Valkyria’, obliterating her completely under the force of his punch. I hadn’t noticed any part of Shin disappear after my weaker attack, but now I did. As his Life Points decreased by over two thousand (7750+1800-4200=5350), an entire section of his torso faded into the darkness all around us.

“I’m impressed,” said Shin, “but in a way that you regular human’s might be impressed when you see an ant carrying an object much larger than itself. So far you have done nothing that frightens me, and soon you will do nothing ever again! I remove the Wind monster ‘Harpie Lady Sisters’ and the Dark monster ‘Dark Valkyria’ in my Graveyard from play to Special Summon my ultimate monster.”

Swirls of wind charged with green and black light spiraled violently in the space behind Shin. From the vortex there emerged a massive form, standing nearly as tall as the ‘Master of Oz’. It was a majestic black bird with long, elegant feathers, its wings glistening with decoration fit for a queen. Its entire body shone like the purest obsidian. It spread its wings impressively (ATK: 2700).

“Feast your eyes,” said Shin, full of pride, “on the almighty ‘Dark Simorgh’!”


Sheppard


“We won’t let you get a leg up on us, Arma-whatever,” said Thomas (LP: 3000). “I defend myself with a face-down, defense position monster, and a two face-down cards.”

“And while Tommy’s setting up his defense,” Ria announced defiantly (LP: 3000), “I’ll prep for our offense with one face-down card, and the monster card ‘Monk Fighter’.”

A modestly-dress, physically fit but slim and unintimidating young man appeared at Ria’s side (ATK: 1300).

These kids don’t know what they’re dealing with, I thought. They might very well lose this duel, and their lives. But as terrible as it sounds, defeating Armityle is more important than protecting them.

I looked at my hand, then again maybe if I’m lucky I can defeat Armityle and protect them at the same time, by hitting Armityle hard and fast.

“I play ‘Pot of Greed’,” I began, “to draw two cards (LP: 3000).”

I examined my newest acquisition, and formed a plan. It would mean taking a risk, but if it worked, I’d gain the element of surprise, and a monster than might just be strong enough to match a demon god.

“I send the top card of my deck to the Graveyard,” I declared, “to Special Summon ‘Cyber Mite’ from my hand.”

I discarded the top card of deck without giving it a second thought, and a cat-sized robotic insect appeared before me. It had missile launchers on its back, but its relatively small size made it overall pretty unremarkable (DEF: 200).

“I tribute ‘Cyber Mite’,” I continued, and the robotic insect disappeared, “to summon my ‘Cyber Ogre’.”

My fiendish machine appeared, towering over the field, his razor sharp claws held at the ready (ATK: 1900).

“Interesting,” Armityle told me, ignoring the others almost completely, “but you assume that I do not know the risk that comes with attacking your monster. I do, and I don’t plan to attack. Instead I set a monster and three cards (LP: 9000). Make your next pitiful moves.”

“You’re pretty dull,” said Thomas. “I mean, I know I only played defense, but I couldn’t attack on my turn. Well, lucky for everyone concerned, I’m about to kick this duel up a notch with the Spell card ‘Painful Choice’. I select five cards from my deck, and you choose one of them to add to my hand, and the rest are discarded.”

As he explained, Thomas thumbed through his deck. His Field card zone opened up, and Thomas placed four of his chosen five cards in his open monster card zones, and the fifth in his Field zone. Holograms of his five cards appeared overhead. They were three copies of ‘Inferno’ and two copies of ‘Hinotama Soul’.

“Is this a joke,” Armityle asked mockingly, “or is that really what you’ve chosen? Is that all your deck has to offer? If so, you’re even more pitiful than I could have guessed!”

“No joke,” Thomas replied, maintaining his cool. “Now choose, before I decide for you.”

“Alright,” said Armityle, dismissing Thomas completely as a non-threat, “add ‘Hinotama Soul to your hand.”

Thomas did as he was told, still never faltering.

“Alright,” Thomas continued, “I flip-summon my favorite card. Appear, ‘Flame Spirit Ignis’!”

The many-eyed, fox-faced spirit appeared at Thomas’ side.

“Now,” Thomas explained, “I summon ‘Hinotama Soul’, and I tribute him to fuel ‘Ignis’’ effect, dealing my opponent one hundred damage for every Fire monster in my Graveyard.”

“What?” Armityle asked, surprised. He obviously hadn’t expected to take any damage so early in the game.

‘Hinotama Soul’, the living fireball, appeared at ‘Ignis’’ side. It was drawn into ‘Ignis’’ hands, and ‘Ignis’ raised his hands above his head, summoning up five fireballs that rained down on Armityle (9000-500=8500). Thomas nodded, satisfied with his work, “It’s not much, but it’ll do for now. Now, to take care of that hidden monster. I‘ll have ‘Ignis’ attack.”

‘Ignis’ conjured flames in his palms and charged toward the figure hidden in the shadows of Armityle’s side of the field. The monster was revealed as a floating ball, colored a sickly green. It looked like a single-celled organism blow up to several hundred times its size.

“Oh man,” Thomas lamented, “not ‘Giant Germ.”

‘Ignis’ punched the ‘Germ’ with a fiery fist, and the monster exploded, releasing a hazy viral cloud that poured over Thomas. He coughed, and his Life Points fell (3000-500=2500). Thomas watched wide-eyed and with gritted teeth as a portion of his arm disappeared, obviously as a result of the Shadow Game that our foe had created.

“It’s alright, son,” I told him. “When we win, you’ll go back to normal.”

Thomas gulped fearfully, “Good, ‘cuz this is freaking me way out.”

“Because you destroyed one ‘Giant Germ’,” said Armityle, “I get to summon two more ‘Giant Germs’ from my deck.”

Two more of the vulgar creatures appeared at the side of their master (ATK: 1000 (each)).

“That’s totally unfair!” Ria roared, always confrontational. I was opening my mouth to calm her when Thomas beat me to it.

“Don’t worry about it, Ria,” he said. “They’re no big deal. They barely hurt, and the fact that he used it so early proves he’s scared of us.

“This guy wants to cause us pain,” Thomas explained. “He wants to hurt us, because he wants to scare us. Well, I’m not gonna let him do that. I’m not very brave most of the time. The only time I feel brave, or strong, or resourceful, is when I’m dueling. I won’t let him take dueling away from me!”

“And I don’t plan on letting him take anything from anybody!” said Ria, roused by Thomas’ words. “My ‘Monk Fighter’ attacks one of the ‘Germs’!”

The ‘Monk Fighter’ attacked his target with a flurry of kicks. The viral cloud spread over Ria this time, and a portion of her right shoulder disappeared (3000-500=2500). Ria gritted her teeth against the pain of the experience, and then said, “Well, that sucks, but at least I did some damage (8500+1000-1300=8200).”

“I’ll deal you more than some damage,” I stated fiercely. I guess Thomas’ words had inspired me as well without me even realizing it, “I draw, and I’ll have my ‘Cyber Ogre’ attack the final ‘Germ’. Once it’s gone the threat to our Life Points that they present will disappear with them.”

My ‘Ogre’’s claws tore the final ‘Germ’ apart, dealing substantial damage to our opponent (7300+1000-1900=6400). The ‘Germ’’s cloud reached me, but I ignored it. I could not, however, ignore the pain that came when a chunk of my midsection became part of the darkness summoned around us. I flinched, my eyes squeezed shut, my teeth clenched. It was more painful than I’d expected, but as surprising as the pain was, I felt even more surprised when I opened my eyes to find two figures having just appeared between the three of us and Armityle. The figures of two more ‘Giant Germs’.

“No way!” Thomas exclaimed.

“How?” I demanded.

“It was simple,” Armityle explained, “with the power of the ‘Transmigration Property’ Trap card. Now I have two monsters on the field once again.

“There’s nothing more that I can do against you, at least for now,” I told Armityle threateningly. “Take your turn.”

“Gladly.” Armityle drew, “I summon ‘Dark Jeroid’ in attack mode. This demon has the unique power to drain away eight hundred points of a single monster’s Attack.” Still mostly ignoring the others, Armityle declared, “I target the ‘Cyber Ogre’.”

A deformed creature with spindly legs and arms, no head, and a face in its midsection appeared (ATK: 1200). It raised its arms and drew energy from my monster. The machine’s power fell (1900-800=1100).

“And now,” Armityle continued, “in case you haven’t noticed, I control three monsters. All of these monsters are Fiend type. That means I can tribute all three of them to Special Summon the first of my three mighty forms, and the most powerful, the demon ‘Raviel, the Lord of Phantasms’!”

The floor shook beneath our feet. The two ‘Giant Germs’ and ‘Dark Jeroid’ disappeared. The floor behind Armityle broke clear away, carrying the front wall and most of the ceiling with it, along with the outer chunk of every room beneath Kagemaru’s office. The enemy’s three fiends melted away and poured through the gap in the building, joining with an immense form still emerging from the darkness.

“Arise my monster!”

Things were silent for a moment, and then the darkness broke, and it emerged. My eyes went wide. I couldn’t peel them away from such an awe inspiring sight. It stood at its full height, standing easily two stories taller than the building itself. Its demonic blue head alone was bigger than an SUV. ‘Raviel’ flexed his immense, oversized arms and massive claws. He opened his transparent, almost bat-like wings, threw his arms open wide, and roared. He swiped with his claws, slashing the front wall, opening the entire room up to the dark, star-speckled sky outside.

“With four thousand Attack,” Armityle explained, “my ‘Raviel’ cannot be matched!”

“Hey Professor,” Thomas asked nervously, “you wouldn’t happen to know what that thing does, would you?”

“No,” I answered.

“Well don’t worry,” said Ria sarcastically, “because I think we’re gonna get to find out.”

I stared up at the towering creature that was like nothing I’d ever seen, and I wondered how I ever could have hoped to win.

“I activate ‘Painful Choice’,” Armityle continued. “I’d explain its effect, but I really think you should know it by now.”

He fanned out my friend’s deck and selected five cards from it. In all of the years that I’d known Kagemaru, I’d never seen him duel, so I had no idea what to expect. I can honestly say I was surprised when I saw the choices: two copies of the draw card ‘Dual Gate’, and three copies of the damage prevention card ‘Delta Barrier’. Allowing him to draw more cards would put Armityle in a better place immediately, but giving him ‘Delta Barrier’ would make him far less vulnerable overall. That was something that I couldn’t allow. So when Armityle asked me, “So what will it be, David?” I was ready with an answer.

“Add the Dual Gate to your hand.”

“Excellent!” said Armityle excitedly. “I play ‘Dual Gate’, removing the ‘Dual Gate’ just played and the ‘Dual Gate’ in my Graveyard from play to draw two cards.”

Armityle drew, “Next, I play ‘Pot of Greed’ to draw again.”

He drew two more cards and then continued.

“‘Raviel’ attacks,” Armityle began, still looking right at me, “the pitiful ‘Flame Spirit Ignis’.” He twisted my friend’s lips into a wicked smile, and I realized his plan. He was going to make me suffer by hurting the children first.

Not if I can help it!

“I won’t let you,” I declared. “Reveal ‘Cyber Shadow Gardna’.”

A dark form appeared, growing larger as it prepared to take on the form of Armityle’s monster.

“Let me guess,” said Armityle. “You plan to divert my monster’s attack to his duplicate. Well I won’t allow that. Reveal ‘Dark Illusion’ to destroy your Trap monster. And my attack continues.”

‘Raviel’ thrust his claws.

No!

“Reveal ‘Staunch Defender’,” I declared, and my ‘Cyber Ogre’ stepped between the attacking ‘Raviel’ and the ‘Flame Spirit Ignis’, “and I discard a second ‘Cyber Ogre’ to activate my monster’s effect.”

Only inches from ‘Cyber Ogre’, ‘Raviel’’s claws were repelled by an invisible barrier.

“My monster’s effect negates your attack,” I explained, “and boosts ‘Ogre’’s Attack by two thousand until after he battles again (1100+2000=3100).”

“Set two cards,” Armityle declared, not nearly so cheery anymore, “and pass. But know this, you may have postponed his attack, but no matter how many tricks you have up your sleeve, there is no way that any of you can defeat ‘Raviel’.”

In that moment, looking up at the demon, I worried that he was right.

Card of the Day:
Dark Simorgh
Played by: Dark Shin

There really isn't a reason. I just love this card.

Original Cards in This Chapter:


Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment