Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DE/DA Crossover Special!: A Threat To Us All - Chapter Eleven

And now Prof shows up, too! I love writing for Prof. He's eccentric and smart and makes no sense, and I love it. He's also strong, and this is the first time that I think it comes across just how strong he is. He could give any Yu-Gi-Oh! character, canon or not, a run for their money. There is also a secret backstory to Prof that I've never revealed, and that I don't think that I ever will, so I'm just going to say it here, now. In the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series, there is an American prize hunter called "Bandit" Keith Howard who competes in the Duelist Kingdom Tournament, is beaten by Joey, and then killed by Pegasus in self defense, only to resurrected by the Card Professors Guild later in Yu-Gi-Oh! R. I think, and I could be wrong, but I think that the author of R named this group of prize hunters after Keith, as he is once called "The Card Professor" in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist Volume 4.

Prof's full name is Roger Howard. He is a younger cousin of Keith's who knew him growing up, and took the name "The Dueling Professor" when he joined the Elite to mock his ambiguously evil relative's "silly stage name", and to play up his intelligence. I even tried to make Prof look a little like Keith, with him being tall and scruffy and whatnot, but no one ever picked up on that.


Chapter Eleven

And Then There Was One


Three of the Shadow Creatures closest to me, two of which already seemed weathered from previous battles, turned to face me. A Shadow Phantom hovered beside each of the first two, and a Shadow Beast stood growling beside the other. I looked at each Shadow Creature in turn from left to right, through my Shadow Millennium Eye, and I could see their Life.

The first of the Creatures still had all four thousand of its Life Points, the second, the one with the Beast at its side, had fourteen hundred, and the third Creature had full Life as well. Through the Eye, I could also see the strength of their monsters, and when I looked at the place on the Creatures' faces where eyes might be, I could see disjointed ideas and potential actions swimming in their minds, giving me an idea of their monsters' abilities. It was also thanks to this power of the Eye that I was able to see that the second creature had commanded his Beast to attack me in time to do something about it.

"Don't think you can attack me out of turn," I said as the Beast lunged, and I, in one fluid motion, drew six cards, and slapped two of them down onto my Duel Disk. My 'Kozaky', a sinister hunchbacked demon scientist wearing a lab coat, spikes from his back protruding through it, appeared encased in the magical barrier 'Heart of Clear Water', blocking the Beast's striking claws. My monster smiled smugly up at the Beast which he had bested.

I gestured tisk-tiskingly at the second Creature, "You're too hasty. You threw away your turn, and now its my turn to attack you."

I summoned a giant robot tank with four arms, ending in a drill, a hammer, and two clamps, made of patchwork metal in the shape of 'Kozaky'. This was 'Kozaky''s personal battle machine, the 'Giant Kozaky'. It lifted 'Kozaky' up and placed him in the control center in its head, and 'Kozaky' took hold of the controls (ATK: 2500).

"Slay the Beast," I commanded coldly, and 'Kozaky' pulled one of the giant robot's control levers, compelling it to thrust it's spinning drill right through the Beast's head, ripping it apart and sending it melting back into the Shadows. I watched as remnants of the Beast formed three wispy entities which joined with another Wisp already hanging in the air at the Creature's side.

They're like Token monsters, I surmised, that these Shadow Duelists can use to ensure that they always have something to tribute. Clever, and dangerous for their opponents.

I set three cards, "Alright, gimme your best. I'm anxious to see the power that overcame my friends, and then overcome it myself."

The first of the two Creatures to control a Phantom drew a card, and then summoned a Second Phantom. The two ghostly monsters flew right at me, passing through both of my monsters, and moved to strike me with their claws, but they were repelled by a barrier which sprung up around me, from within my revealed 'Spirit Barrier'.

I smirked, "You'll have to do better than that."

The next Creature, the other one with a Phantom, played a Spell which transformed his Phantom into a silhouette of pure darkness, leaving behind a Wisp. I could see with my Eye that this was the distilled soul of the Shadow Phantom, and that if it touched either of my monsters, they would be destroyed. My opponent must have known that without 'Kozaky' to control it, my 'Giant Kozaky' would explode and deal me damage, because the Shadow Spirit lunged at 'Kozaky', but I was prepared.

"Good try," I said as I triggered a Trap, "but my 'Ultimate Offering' will allow me to dodge your effect by paying five hundred Life to tribute both of my monsters," 'Koazaky' and 'Giant Kozaky' disappeared and were replaced by a giant, muscular lizard man with green skin, wearing steel armor, flexing his long, sharp steel claws, "summoning my 'Gogiga Gagagigo' (ATK: 2950)."

The darkness hit the ground at my monster's feet, and he stomped it until it dispersed completely, growling viciously. The same Creature finished its turn by summoning an armored Soldier made of Shadows, and the final Creature drew, playing a Spell card made of Shadows which changed into another of the Wisps of Darkness, giving that particular Creature five. Those five Wisps rose up into the air and swelled, forming a giant swirling Shadow Entity, which immediately moved to bare down on my reptile. I could see what this thing could do, that it could wipe out any number of monsters and deal damage to me equal to their total Attack. If it hit my 'Gagagigo' I would lose three quarters of my Life Points all at once.

"Ooh," I said, smiling, "flashy, but here's a little flash of my own. Reveal 'Spark Breaker' to destroy my own monster."

Just as the Shadow Entity reached my monster, a bolt of lightning hit him, vaporizing him and dispersing the Shadow Entity all at once.

I smiled across at my opponents, "Not bad at all, but the three of you made one key mistake: you allowed it to become my turn again."


John


Thankfully as I began another turn, I was able to draw yet another card which might help me.

"I play 'Pot of Greed'," I told my opponent as I drew again, "and I follow up with one of the two cards I drew, 'Allure of Darkness'."

I drew two more cards, and then removed 'Twin-Sword Marauder' in my hand from play (2400 -> 2900).

"Now," I said, not even bothering to hide my relief, "I increase my Life Points even further by removing a Light and a Dark monster in my Graveyard from play to summon my strongest monster."

Light and darkness poured from my Graveyard, opening a doorway in the sky (2900 -> 3900).

"Special Summon," I declared as a warrior clad in ornate black and gold armor, carrying a curved sword and a jeweled shield emerged from the doorway, which closed, and stood by my side, "my 'Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning' (ATK: 3000)."

My monster didn't even wait for my command. He raised his sword above his head and swung it, slinging energy from its edge at 'Gorz'. The energy wave hit its mark, and 'Gorz' warped and disappeared from the field.

"My Life Points increase even further," I explained as ghostly energy poured from my 'Soul Absorption' card and reinvigorated me (3900 -> 4400). I allowed myself to relax for a moment. I was King of the Hill, but I was as aware as anyone else who'd ever played the game that no one hold such a post for long.


Prof


"I play 'Premature Burial'," I declared, my Life Points dropping again (3500 -> 2700), "to revive 'Gogiga Gagagigo'."

The armored reptile reappeared at my side with a roar.

"Attack," I commanded, and my monster lunged forward and sliced to bits one of the pesky Phantoms controlled by the first of my three opponents (4000 -> 2050), leaving a Wisp behind.

One more turn, I thought as I set a card, and all three of you will lose.

I looked past the three Creatures at the horde of others waiting behind them and frowned, It's all of you that I'm worried about.

The first creature played one of the Spells which summon a Wisp, and tributed two Wisps for a kind of Shadow Hulk with huge fists and thick muscles (ATK: 3400). The Hulk punched the ground, and spirits of Shadow monsters rose from beneath it and rushed at my 'Gagagigo', turning to smoke and causing him to double over, choking. The Hulk and the first Creature's remaining Phantom attacked together, only to be deflected by a barrier summoned by a trio of blue-robed monks, standing together, saying a prayer of safety.

"Reveal 'Waboku'," I declared, "protecting myself and my monsters from damage this turn."

My 'Gagagigo' managed to expel the rest of the smoke from his lungs, and he stood once again at his full height, and my barrier faded just in time for the next creature to draw and play two Spells, one which increased the power of his Shadow Soldier (ATK: 1700 -> 2400), and one which sapped the strength from my monster (ATK: 2950 -> 2150). The Soldier rushed forward and cleaved my monster in half, but my Life Points were spared damage thanks to my 'Spirit Barrier'.

The third Creature drew, and then summoned a Phantom to occupy its empty field. The Phantom flew forward and slashed me, tearing my shirt and my lab coat a bit, and making me gasp (2700 -> 1700), but I held my ground. I waited for Creature Three to set a card, before drawing one of my own. I was relieved when I saw it. I'd calculated that it would very likely be the next card I drew, but it was certainly nice to receive visual confirmation of my hypothesis.

I looked to each of my three opponents in turn, "Well, it's been nice knowing you."


John


The Core Creature wasn't shaken by my 'Soldier', but it was never shaken by anything. It drew, and matched my early turn extra draw with one of its own, playing 'Spellbook Inside the Pot', allowing both of us to draw three cards. He didn't react to his own cards either, but somehow I could sense that he'd improved his hand pretty significantly, but so had I. Or course I was well aware that, as strong as my opponent was, I might not actually get a chance to use them.

The Core Creature finally acknowledged my 'Soldier' by playing 'Dark Hole'. I watched, helpless, as a black hole opened in the center of the 'Mystic Plasma Zone', drawing my 'Soldier' into it and speghettifying him. Then the Core Creature summoned a monster of his own, the demonic 'Archfiend Soldier'. Between 'Mystic Plasma Zone' and 'Solidarity', the Attack of the skeletal, clawed demon skyrocketed (ATK: 1900 -> 3200). Its claws crackled with the energy of the Field Spell, and it swung them, jumping the energy to me (4400 -> 1200). I cried out. The pain was enormous! 'Soul Absorption' or not, this Shadow Game was really starting to put a strain on my body. I didn't know how much longer I'd last. I staggered, but I managed to catch myself before I could fall.

I was really starting to get sick of this duel.

The Core Creature set two more cards, and waited for me to make my next play. I only stood there, breathing steadily, collecting myself until, finally, I drew my next card.

"I remove 'Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning' and 'The Supremacy Sun' in my Graveyard from play," I declared, "to Special Summon 'Darkflare Dragon', which benefits from your Field Spell. This also increases my Life (1200 -> 2200)."

My monster, a vicious black dragon wreathed in fire, appeared standing behind me (ATK: 2400 -> 2900).

"When 'Darkflare' is summoned," I explained, "I can discard 'Eclipse Dragon' from my hand and 'Lightpulsar Dragon' from my deck to remove 'Phantom Skyblaster' in your Graveyard from play."

'Darkflare Dragon' roared, and several small suns formed around him, flying off toward my opponent's Graveyard, burning up one of the cards in it. My Life Points rose again (2200 -> 2700). I felt thankful that I'd decided to keep 'Soul Absorption' in my deck the last time I updated it. Without that card, I'd have lost a couple times over by now.

"Now," I said, "I attack 'Archfiend Soldier', and I think its about time we got rid of your pesky 'Solidarity' Spell. I play 'Mystical Space Typhoon' to destroy it."

A gust of wind tore my opponent's Spell apart, as my dragon breathed fire down on the 'Archfiend Soldier', burning him up (2500 -> 2000).

My opponent ignored this setback, revealing 'Robin' Goblin', and played 'D.D.R. Different Dimension Revival', summoning back 'Gorz, Emissary of Darkness', gesturing for him to attack (ATK: 4100). 'Gorz' dispatched with my monster effortlessly (2700 -> 1600). As my dragon fell, energy jumped from 'Gorz''s blades, knocking away the second to last card from my hand.

I was in pain, and I was nearly out of cards. I genuinely didn't know what I was going to do.


Prof


"I play the Spell cards 'Pot of Greed'," I declared, "and 'Graceful Charity'."

I drew, and then discarded two cards, my 'Brain Crusher' and my 'Brain Jacker'.

"Face-down," I declared, "and I play 'Monster Reborn' to summon my 'Brain Crusher' from the Graveyard."

A giant insect with a purple body, shining translucent wings, and a posture like a dragon appeared at my side, roaring from its mandibles (ATK: 2400).

"But I'm not finished," I announced. "I still have 'Card of Sanctity'."

I drew six new cards, and continued, "Next I pay fifteen hundred Life (1700 -> 200) to play 'Autonomous Action Unit', summoning a monster from your Graveyard under my control."

A small probe appeared and burrowed into the ground. A moment later the Shadow Beast burst from the ground, the probe affixed to the base of its skull.

"I play 'Megamorph' on 'Brain Crusher'," I continued, my insect doubling in size (ATK: 2400 -> 4800), "and I activate the ability of the monster I took from you, reducing its Attack by one thousand to reduce the attack of your monster to zero and to negate its effect for the rest of the turn."

The Beast slumped, darkness pouring from it (ATK: 3100 -> 2100) and surrounding the Shadow Hulk, choking him (ATK: 3400 -> 0). I commanded the beast to attack, and it destroyed the Hulk, energy trailing behind its claws, hitting the Hulk's master, reducing him to wisps of Shadow which returned to the greater darkness all around us.

"Now," I continued, "'Brain Crusher' attacks the Shadow Phantom."

My insect bit down on the head of my second opponent's monster, reducing that Creature's Life Points to zero as well, and leaving the Phantom lying dead on the ground.

"And now for you," I told my third opponent. "I summon a second copy of 'Giant Kozaky', and to his summoning I chain 'Forbidden Chalice'."

The giant robot appeared again, wreathed in a holy light, and I smiled.

"'Forbidden Chalice' negates my monster's ability for the turn, allowing me to play 'Creature Swap' to exchange him for you Soldier," the robot and my opponent's Shadow Soldier traded places. "Now I end my turn, the effect of 'Forbidden Chalice' ends, and 'Giant Kozaky' explodes, taking you with it."

'Kozaky' lost his glow, and exploded, bombarding my opponent with shrapnel that shredded him and reduced him to a thin cloud of smoke. Then the Shadow Phantom destroyed by 'Brain Crusher' rose up again, under the 'Brain Crusher''s control, floating at my side in defense position (DEF: 1000).

I'd managed to secure some powerful monsters, and to put up, if I may say so, a pretty spectacular fight, but as four more of the Shadow Duelists stepped up to oppose me, backed by at least a dozen more, I knew full well what was about to happen.

Card of the Day:
Brain Crusher
Played by: Prof

Mostly just because it's a Prof card.

Original Cards in This Chapter:



Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment