Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! DE/DA Crossover Special!: A Threat To Us All - Chapter Four

And only one third of the way through the entire special, the two casts come together...kinda. They really come together in the next chapter. Hmm, maybe I took this story a little too slow.


Chapter Four

The Minds of Darkness


John

The cloud of darkness swirled lower and lower, forming a miniature funnel cloud that reached toward the deck of the ship. Karen, Thomas, Ria and I, as well as the staff members who had been on deck working, watched through the small window in the door leading from the deck into the command section. The staff members were terrified, and Thomas wasn't too far off.

"Thomas, Ria," I said, "get the staff below decks, and sound an alarm. Then get back up here with your cards. We'll fight this thing back as long as we can, but it's powerful. We're going to need help."

Ria nodded, grabbing Thomas by the arm, snapping him out of his stupor, and the two of them led the crewmen deeper into the bowls of the ship. Karen and I stood with our hands on the hatch release, steeling ourselves up. In that moment, I looked at Karen and paused.

"Karen-," I began.

"I'm going out there with you," she interrupted. Her determination was unfaltering, so I didn't complete my thought. Instead I nodded, pulled the handle, and the two of us stepped outside. I summoned up the powers of my Soul of Darkness, and without thought, without meaning for it to happen, my Soul reached out for the mind of the thing hovering above us. I cried out in pain as my mind connected with dozens, maybe hundreds, of erratic, disjointed, chaotic minds, each one similar to the next, but still very different from the rest.

I collapsed. Karen caught me and helped me up as I concentrated as hard as I could, forcing my link with the thing, or things, to break.

"What happened?" Karen asked fearfully.

"Later," I told her, "I'm fine, and I've discovered something about swirling friend up there."

Lightning built in the swirling cloud and lanced toward the two of us, only to be deflected at the last moment by a shimmering, unstable yet strong barrier projected by Karen's glowing Soul of Imagination. We dove to the side, under an overhang.

"Whatever that thing is," I told Karen, continuing my previous thought, "it's not just one thing, it's a whole bunch, like some kind of hive."

Darkness, in the form of twisting tendrils, swirled out from the still-forming cyclone and reached toward us. I raised my hand to try to disrupt the shadows making up the attacking tendril, and I was surprised when the spell failed. I didn't let it distract me for more than a moment, though, and commanded my own shadow to reach up and become solid, deflecting the darkness before it could reach us. Then my shadow reached up and wrapped around the Duel Disk on my arm, transforming it into the Dark Duel Disk, which I separated into a sword and a buckler.

"Be careful," I told Karen, "this thing could come at us from any number of directions at once, and I can't control it with my magic."

Immediately I ran from the overhang, Karen close at my heels. Another two swirling tendrils reached toward us. I turned to meet them, Karen keeping just behind me, and I caught one of my blade and one on my shield, holding them back, and pushing forward, until the tendrils fell away, and Karen stepped out beside me, her Soul glowing, and raised her palm, slinging a wave of shimmering light, blowing the tendrils apart. What was left of them drew back, and two more thrust forward.

I couldn't bring my implements up in time, but as a knee-jerk reaction, my shadow rose up and shielded me from one, while the other curled around me toward Karen. I looked back, unsure of what to do, just in time to see the tendril hit another shimmering barrier from Karen's Soul. She struggled, her Soul flickering uncertainly, but when she met my eyes, renewed determination found its way to her face, and her barrier stabilized, taking on the form of a transparent version of the Duel Monster 'Millennium Shield', holding the shadows back without effort.

Still, we were moments away from being overwhelmed. The shadows were swirling even faster, and more tendrils were forming, preparing to strike at us en masse. Like many times before, I felt a dark power swirling within me. An evil power. Usually I had no problem shoving that power, and the dark mind which came with it, back down into the depths of my heart, but this time, in the midst of my growing desperation, some of it got out. Energy exploded out around me, dispersing the tendrils and knocking Karen off of her feet. I didn't really care, though, evil power still burning around me. Even while I still struggled to force the power back down, my body reacted, driven by the dark mind that was the source of that power. I shot forward, practically skating across the ground on my black aura.

I launched myself upward, my sword wreathed in the same aura that surrounded me. I threw it, tethered to me by that aura. It spun through the air, plunging through the shadow entity, beginning to disrupt it. I guided it mercilessly, until, suddenly, I sensed a presence within the entity, a presence separate from the entity itself, protected by strong magic.

I snapped out of the darkness' influence, and reacted, directing my sword to wrap the presence in my aura, and I pulled as hard as I could, giving the effort everything I had. After only a few moments, my sword burst forth from the funnel of darkness, dragging a lanky human figure behind it. I shoved my darkness back down, and melted my sword into my shadow, drawing it back to me and rejoining it with me shield, launched forward, and caught the falling figure. I fell with him back to the deck, and rolled, pulling him with me out of the way of a desperately reaching tendril.

The dark entity went wild, lashing out randomly like a wounded animal, putting a hole in the deck nearby, and crushing a poolside structure. The funnel cloud finally touched down on the deck, drawing water from the pool into itself, creating a churning, swirling typhoon, complete with battering wind and rain. I couldn't do anything. My energy was spent, Karen was still down, unconscious or worse, and I couldn’t just run away, leaving her and the man I'd freed behind.

I thought I was finally finished when, out of nowhere, a group of six people appeared in a flash of light. Three of them I recognized as my friends Rocky and Kimi, and the War Ruler, Marcus, his head bandaged, and his arm in a sling. The others, a young Latino boy with long, straight black hair, an attractive, brown-haired girl in a brown jacket, and a boy a few years older with the same color hair, I didn't know. Kimi and Rocky's Souls were alight.

As I watched, the six took action. Kimi's Soul glowed bright yellow, her light pushing the shadow entity's tendrils back. Meanwhile Rocky gestured toward the swirling darkness and circular arrays of light formed, floating in the air, surrounding the entity and holding its loose mass in place. Rocky was straining, and his allies seemed to know it because they went to work instantly.

The older boy, the girl, and Marcus spread out in a semi-circle around the darkness. A necklace around the girl's neck glowed, the boy held up a familiar metal rod, and Marcus held up a set of back metal scales in his good arm. I could feel energy pouring from the three items into Rocky's Soul, and suddenly he wasn't straining so much anymore. The glow of his circles grew brighter as well. Then the Latino boy stepped forward, standing between me and the darkness, held up an oversized key, shaped like an Egyptian ankh, and he changed. His hair stood straight up and its color drained away until it was stark white. I felt an energy flow forth from within him, an evil energy that resembled a far weaker form of the energy locked within me, bolstered by the energy of the key-shaped item. A Duel Monster, the fierce and powerful 'Dark Armed Dragon', appeared at the boy's side, and the boy's energy poured into the dragon. It unleashed a swirling blast of pure dark fire from its mouth, right into the swirling entity, causing it to begin to break up, ever so slightly. I could have helped him. I should have. But aside from being pretty much spent, I was too taken aback by what I was seeing.

He-he's the boy's dark side. That boy's controlling his dark side!

The boy and the dragon poured more and more magic into their attack, continuing to blast the darkness, forcing it apart, but it was too slow going. It just kept reforming further up, and pouring back down into the core of the cyclone. The attack was hurting it, and it might have killed it, but I could sense that the boy's energy would give out long before that happened. None of that mattered, though, because it became clear very quickly that this wasn't an attack, it was a rescue mission.

It was about then that Thomas and Ria rejoined us. Neither had changed out of their swim stuff, but they had taken the time grab Thomas' favorite flame-decaled t shirt, as well as their cards and their Duel Disks, from their cabins. When they saw the new arrivals, Ria exclaimed "Whoa, what did we miss?"

The Latino boy backed up until he was standing right with us, the others joining him only a few moments later. All at once, they lowered their items, and the boy's dragon disappeared, his hair and his aura returning to normal. The entity began to rally, but it didn't matter. There was a flash, and by the time the darkness' attack reached the place where we'd been standing, we were gone, appearing a moment later in a cavernous room with several duel arenas marked on the floor, and some tables against the wall off to the side. It was a rough teleport, I hadn't managed to recover yet from using up so much of my energy, and I was kinda freaking out a little. I'm embarrassed to say, I passed out.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment