Sunday, October 25, 2015

Digimon ND Special #2: Myotismon's Revenge - Chapter Four

And Special #2 comes to an end. This is all canon, of course, and this appearance of Samuraimon marks his last, at least as far as I have plotted the story going forward. There will be one more appearance of each Vipramon and Druidmon as well, and then I will likely retire those Digivolutions for good. Considering how strong they must be to do what they did in Book Two, having them is too much of an advantage for our heroes.

Of course Samuraimon's appearance here is, I think, a cool one. He is a warrior who relies on speed and skill as much as Skullsatamon does, making him a good foil for the Evil Digimon. I think I did a good job of staging their battle so that it is immediately apparent that they are fighting at a level of skill that we really haven't seen before.





Chapter Four

A Matter of Skill


In that moment, in the midst of that flash of light, my Digimon and I went through a striking transformation. We merged, becoming one being. I could feel our power growing to incredible heights, pulsing through my veins. I had become a vastly superior Ultimate Digimon, born of the union of Human DNA and Digimon data. I stood over six feet tall, considerably shorter than my foe, wearing a cloak under samurai armor, and in my sash I carried two katanas. I was Jen, and I was Coltmon, but I was also neither. I drew my two katanas and my aura flared, levitating me into the air to face my foe.

“What is this?!” Skullsatamon demanded nervously.

“This,” I replied calmly, “is the pinnacle of our power. We have become one. I am Samuraimon!”

“Your power has grown,” said Skullsatamon. “I can feel it. But my power is great as well, and I boast the greatest speed of any Digimon.”

I smiled behind my faceplate, as Skullsatamon flickered away, “We’ll see.” I disappeared as well, moving at the speed of sound, matching my opponent’s speed. I swung my swords, the blades colliding withSkullsatamon’s staff. The impact was enough to shake me to the bone. Skullsatamon and I were thrown apart, centering Skullsatamon above the now-abandoned camp. I dropped to the ground and ran through the trees, kicking up dust as I ran. Skullsatamon dove to intercept me. I jumped up and slashed at him, but he pushed off of my blades with his staff and swung around behind me, firing off his lightning attack. Just in time I spun around and crossed my swords, pouring my aura through them. They deflected the lightning. It lanced toward the ground, tearing through several of the buildings and cutting deep trenches in the hard earth.

The attack pushed me toward the ground. I flipped backward and out of the way just in time to avoid another attack, landing on the roof of the galley. “Twin Katanas!” I called, slinging energy from the edges of my swords, but Skullsatamon dropped toward me, spinning in the air, knocking the attack away with his staff. He raised the staff above his head, holding it like a club.

“Bone Hammer!” Skullsatamon called, swinging the staff at my head. I raised my blades to parry the blow. The shock of the impact shook the building below me loose. I fell over, falling down into the rubble, only to re-emerge beneath the foe, poised to attack.

I jumped up and spun, slashing horizontally with both of my swords, catching Skullsatamon in the back. He cried out as he was thrown forward, falling toward the ground. He recovered fast and spun around, but by the time he did, I wasn’t there anymore. While Skullsatamon was recovering from my attack, I’d allowed my self to fall past his, planting my feet firmly on the ground. His back was to me. I jumped up, pushing so hard off of the ground that I left a shockwave in my wake. “Twin Katanas!” I called, thrusting my sword through his back, piecing the glowing orb in Skullsatamon’s chest. There was an explosion, and the orb disappeared, Skullsatamon’s whole body shook. Energy pulsed from him, throwing me away. I suddenly found myself sprawled on the ground in my human form, Coltmon barely conscious at me side. I sat up and looked up at the sky at the shuddering form of Skullsatamon. I could see his data coming apart.

“No!” Skullsatamon cried. “No, I can’t lose again! This is my last chance! Noooooooo!” The mighty Digimon cried out, and his entire body reverted to bits of data that drifted apart and faded away. I stood up and looked around. The camp was in shambles, but at least everyone was alive. I was proud of myself. If I hadn’t made the call to get everyone away from camp, a lot of people would have been hurt or worse.

“We did it,” said Coltmon, standing beside me. “I told you everything would be okay.”

I smiled, “Yeah, I guess you did.”

“Hey, Jen!”

I turned and saw Kris running out of the woods, TechnoBarkmon in her arms.

Good, I thought, they’re okay too.

I spread my arms and fell back onto my back, laughing, finally able to relax.


Later that same day the buses returned to the devastated grounds, only an hour before the parents started showing up. The camp administrator had no idea that we’d had anything to do with the Digimon. All he knew was that there had been deadly monsters fighting in the woods before, but they were gone. He didn’t know how they were gone, where they were, or where they’d come from, and he didn’t care. Like most people, he was content in ignorance.

It wasn’t until nearly everyone was gone that our mom arrived. She wasn’t worried. She knew that our Digimon had kept us safe. So when the admin approached her, she had to pretend to be worried so that he wouldn’t get suspicious. The camp admin told her that we were fine, and even praised us for going back into the ground to make sure everyone else had gotten to safety. My mom thanked him, knowing full well why we’d really gone back. She shot me a look that said, “You were reckless, but I’m glad you’re okay.”

I smiled.

Once the administrator had finally gone, we piled into the car and started back toward home. As we settled in, Kris turned to me and whispered, “I can’t believe that a Digimon went through all of that to get revenge. What if he’s not the only one?”

“Don’t worry,” I said. “Even before he was Skullsatamon, that Digimon was a special kind of crazy. He was a unique case. Besides, Mainemon and I defeated him. He’s gone now. I’m just glad we’re going home.”

“Why?” Kris asked. “You were the one that really wanted to come to camp this year,”

“Yeah,” I said, “but I just can’t wait to see the look on John’s face when we tell him what he missed!”

Proceed to Special #3 (Coming Soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment