Sunday, October 18, 2015

Digimon ND Special #2: Myotismon's Revenge - Chapter Three

I'm never nice to the Metal Angels, am I? I build them up as something special, with some kind of tech-enhanced angelic power behind their attacks, and then I have the baddies kick their butts consistently. I'll have to give them something important to do in a later story to make up for that, won't I?

Either way, this chapter is clearly just round one. The hero always has to seem like they are losing as the start, or it just isn't any fun.

Also, how cool is CyberGarurumon? Seriously, the dude is a badass!






Chapter Three

War in the Woods


We ran. We ran through the brush. We ran through the crowd of Goblimon, Bakemon and Soulmon, ducking and weaving between them. A Bakemon nearly hit us with his claws, but he was destroyed by CyberGarurumon who seemed to appear out of nowhere.

“Yeah,” Kris cheered, “go Pup!”

CyberGarurumon stood in the center of the mass of Digimon and said calmly, “Your target is me.” Kris and I would have stayed to help, but we had our own job to do. We were close to camp, so it didn’t take long to arrive. We ran straight for the office of the camp administrator. At first he didn’t believe our story about the strange monsters fighting nearby. Then Skullsatamon and MechAngemon rose into the air and started to battle it out. Needless to say, the evacuation was underway in seconds.


Meanwhile, CyberGarurumon had engaged the entire enemy troop at once. He scanned the crowd with attentive eyes. “Locking on,” he said as the enemy Digimon moved to surround him. Before they could strike, CyberGarurumon removed his sash, letting his cloak blow in the wind, exposing the concealed missile launchers on his back. The missiles fired as CyberGarurumon called, “Cyber Wolf Bite!”

The missiles swerved, zooming through the threes. They exploded as they hit their targets, spreading smoke throughout the area, obscuring CyberGarurumon’s view. But a moment later the two Phantomon, the scythe-wielding guards, burst through the smoke, their scythes raised. They pressed in close, giving CyberGarurumon little time to react. He had to fight his hardest just to keep up with his two opponents, both of whom obviously knew how to fight very well. So CyberGarurumon struck again and again, waiting for his opening to finish them.

In the air a little ways away, MechAngemon used his sword to parry blow after blow from his opponent’s staff. Skullsatamon's speed seemed to be greater that that of the Ultimate Level Digimon, easily making up for the gap created by MechAngemon’s higher level, if there was really any gap at all. It become evident early on that Skullsatamon was far beyond any Perfect Level Digimon that we had ever fought. MechAngemon was holding his own, but it seemed impossible that he would find an opening to counterattack, fighting is close quarters.

Elsewhere CyberGarurumon's battle continued at a stalemate. He deflected blow after blow of his opponents' scythes with his mechanical claws, but he was still outnumbered, and he was beginning to suffer the consequences of his opponents' greater melee reach. His only real chance to strike a killing blow would be to catch his opponents off guard. Which would have been easy in a fight against any one opponent, or even multiple opponents with lesser skills, but these two had no doubt had a great deal of experience watching each others’ backs. They moved as one, covering every opening in each others’ fighting styles with ease.

In the air above, MechAngemon finally managed to pull back from his opponent without giving him an opening. He thought that he had the battle won, swinging his sword and calling out, “Celestial-Tech Blade!” A wave of shining energy capable of cutting nearly anything slid from the edge of his sword, spinning toward its target, but Skullsatamon stood his ground, swinging his staff, deflecting MechAngemon’s attack with ease. It spiraled toward the ground, tearing through the earth below like tissue paper before fizzling out.

Skullsatamon laughed a menacing laugh and seemed to flicker away. He was suddenly behind MechAngemon. He jabbed the mechanical Digimon in the back with the pointed end of his staff. Then, still laughing, he flickered out again, swinging back around, just as MechAngemon spun in an attempt to meet him. Skullsatamon charged energy in the crystal end of his staff and rammed it into MechAngemon’s back between his wings, drawing sparks from the point of impact.

Skullsatamon pulled back and swung around in front of MechAngemon, summoning energy into his staff, launching it in the form of red lightning. MechAngemon raised his shield, but the red lightning danced around the shield and up his arm, pouring through his circuits, overloading his systems. MechAngemon fell limp, hanging unmoving in the open air.

Skullsatamon swung his staff like a club at his vulnerable opponent, hitting him in the face, shattering his glass face shield. MechAngemon was thrown backward, smoke pouring from the angelic mecha’s every joint. MechAngemon hit the ground hard and slid for a while before finally coming to a stop, knocking over trees and digging a crevice in the ground. He slowly started to rise, sparks pouring from every joint.

“I won’t let you win,” said MechAngemon. “I beat you when you were Myotismon, and I’ll beat you again.”

“No you won’t,” said Skullsatamon in a lyrical voice. He flickered out again, appearing behind the half-risen form of his enemy. He kicked MechAngemon in the back of the head, knocking him forward onto his face.

“This is fun,” said Skullsatamon, the glowing sphere in his chest flaring as he laughed maniacally. MechAngemon pushed off of the ground with both hands, but it was useless. He could barely move, and he’d dropped both his sword and his shield anyway.

Skullsatamon waited until MechAngemon finally managed to get back up onto his knees, and then he stepped up beside his and kicked him in the shoulder, kicking it loose so that his arm was hanging by only a few cables. MechAngemon collapsed onto his right side. “This is a lot of fun,” said Skullsatamon. “I’ll play with you for awhile, and once there’s nothing left of you but bits of metal, I’ll go after your human slave master and I’ll kill her too.”

Not too far away, CyberGarurumon continued to struggle against the two Phantomon. His dual opponents continued to press him, preventing him from using any attacks. CyberGarurumon realized that battle like theirs, between the undead and a machine, could go on for a long time, as neither side would ever tire. With a start, however, he realized that he was the only one who could wear down, and he started to worry.


As the fight continued, Kris and I were helping the camp staff evacuate the last of the campers. As the last of the camp’s three buses powered away, we took an opportunity to slip away from the staff members, most of whom were waiting to leave in their own vehicles once everyone else was out, and headed straight into the woods.

“This is bad,” I said, running full speed. “I haven’t seen MechAngemon for a while. If he’s not flying, he’s hurt.”

“I wish I knew what was going on with Pup,” said Kris, running at my side. “I’m not too worried about those little ghost things, but those grim reapers looked pretty tough.”

“We’ll split up,” I said, “and each follow our own Digimon’s signal. We’ll find them and let them borrow our strength like they did against Tyranterramon.” Kris nodded, and we pulled our Digivices from our pockets, activating the tracking program. As soon as we entered the woods, we veered apart, venturing out on our own.


Kris


I found CyberGarurumon after only a few minutes, or rather he found me. He was pushed through a grouping of trees by one of the Phantomon and landed right next to me. When he saw me he yelled, “Kris! Get back! Get out of here!”

But as my Digimon spoke, the second Phantomon burst through the trees as well, swinging his sickle. He would have hit me, but I had the presence of mind to drop to my knees and cover my head. The sickle missed by mere inches.

But Phantomon had seen me. He pulled back and prepared to strike again. This time he wouldn’t miss. But as his sickle came down, he was cut off by CyberGarurumon, who grabbed the grim reaper’s scythe in his metallic hand and squeezed. The sickle shattered.

I looked up at me Digimon. Apparently in all of his calculating, he hadn't factored in how much harder he would fight if my life was on the line. He was holding the face of the second Phantomon in his left hand, and he aimed his right palm at the Phantomon with the broken weapon. The captured Phantomon squirmed and clawed, desperately trying to escape, but it was no use. CyberGarurumon’s green aura flared up. He had a fire in his eyes as he said, “Leave Kris alone.”

His aura poured into his palms and discharged in the form of two massive Cyber Wolf Claw attacks that literally tore the two Phantomon apart. But CyberGarurumon used up all of his energy in the attack, immediately degenerating to TechnoBarkmon, falling unconscious at my feet. I scooped him up in my arms and said, “Thanks, Pup.” Then, with determination in my voice I declared, “I have to get to Jen.” With that I took off through the woods again.


Jen


When I found MechAngemon he was lying on his stomach, un-moving. Skullsatamon was stomping on his back repeatedly, laughing all the while.

“Get off of him!” I cried. I picked up a rock and chucked it at Skullsatamon, hitting him in the head.

“Ah,” he said, “look who’s back. It’s the Human responsible for ending my prosperous former life! I’ve been waiting for you.”

He rose up into the air and raised his staff, aiming the crystal at me. Lightning erupted from the crystal.

“No!” cried MechAngemon. Somehow, even in his current state, he found the strength to throw himself in the path of Skullsatamon’s attack. I saw his data strain, barely retaining its cohesion, and then he reverted to his Child Level form, falling heavily to the ground.

“Jen,” said Coltmon, rising up onto shaking legs, “run while you can!”

“No way,” I said, “I’m staying. We’re in this together, no matter what!”

I felt a familiar power flow through me, linking me with my Digimon, giving us both strength.

“This isn’t over,” I said, as Coltmon and I gained identical pink auras. Coltmon, who had recovered his strength, leaped up and slammed Skullsatamon with his hooves before falling back toward the ground, away from the startled foe. I ran toward him and jumped up toward his falling form. There was a flash.

“Initiate,” I called, “Bio-Merge Digivolution!”

“Coltmon, Bio-Merge to! Samuraimon!”

No comments:

Post a Comment