Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Seven: Their Most Dangerous Enemy - Chapter Thirteen

This chapter is really only dialogue, as Karen goes off on her own, seeking answers from Pegasus. Speaking of Pegasus, he's all somber, serious Pegasus in this chapter, which isn't really any fun to write compared to childish Pegasus, or confident gamer Pegasus (which we see next chapter, hurray for cliffhangers again!). Still, this was an interesting chapter to write, as I really tried to get into Pegasus' head and decide how he would feel about his past actions in hindsight. I think I did okay.

Also, Karen is so BAMF-y in this chapter! I love it! 



Chapter Thirteen

Teacher vs. Student;
Karen vs. Maximillion Pegasus


Karen


John and Max were busy discussing the recent developments amongst themselves and with Reiko, pressing her for what little information she had on the Card Professors while trying not to frighten her further. Meanwhile I walked thoughtfully further back into our little alley. After the recent dialogue with my brothers I had a lot to think about myself. Without even realizing why, I knelt down and reached into John’s bag, removing his Duel Disk and strapping it to my arm. I stood back up, and by the time I had returned to my full height, I knew what I had to do.

I looked back over my shoulder at John. He was looking at me past Max and Reiko. He met my eyes, and I could see that he had come to the same conclusion that I had, and that he understood. He nodded and I nodded back, and with a flash of my Soul of Imagination, I disappeared.


A moment later I reappeared outside a large estate overlooking a lake and woods. I didn’t recognize it personally, but if this was where my wish on the Soul of Imagination had taken me, it could only mean that Teacher was here.

I turned and walked calmly up the stone drive a few yards to the front doors. They were double doors made of solid oak, stained dark and inlayed with gold. I didn’t knock. I didn’t wait to be let in by one of the servants or the bodyguards that I knew were watching via hidden camera. I simply kept walking. My soul flashed and a clear, ghostly image of my favorite Duel Monster, the ‘Dark Magician Girl’, appeared and threw the doors open with a spell.

Once inside, I was approached by a pair of Teacher’s bodyguards, but the transparent form of my sorceress changed form, becoming the jeweled ‘Millennium Shield’, surrounded by a field of red light, which hung in the air just ahead of me, driving them back.

I kept walking until I found myself in an open hall surrounded by half a dozen bodyguards, their hands on their holstered guns, standing between me and a pair of curved staircases leading up to a second story landing and a set of lavish doors. I knew just by looking at them that they were the doors to Teacher’s room.

“Stop where you are,” One of the bodyguards commanded, “or we’ll be forced to stop you.”

I raised an eyebrow in disbelief, fully aware of just how little chance they had against me, but I didn’t want to hurt anyone, so I put my hands up. My ‘Shield’ remained though, preventing the bodyguards from getting close.

“The magic shield,” one of the bodyguards said, “put it away.”

“I need to see Maxamillion Pegasus,” I stated, standing firm.

“Deactivate your magic item!” insisted the first bodyguard, and he drew his gun and took aim, his fellows following suit.

Just then the double doors at the top of the stairs swung open, and Teacher emerged, wearing a long white robe over pink silk pajamas. He wordlessly surveyed the situation below him and ordered, “Stand down men. Treat our guest with respect and courtesy. She’s family, after all.”

The security guards lowered their weapons, some more reluctantly than others. My Soul stopped flashing, and the apparition that I’d summoned to my aid faded away.

“Mr. Johnson,” Teacher said to the lead bodyguard, “please show Miss Dunn to the sitting room.” Then to me he said, “I’ll be down in moment, my dear.”

He disappeared back into his room, closing the doors behind him. Johnson led me through a set of doors beneath the landing, down a lavish corridor, and through another set of doors into a large, open room with an entire wall made up of windows overlooking the wooded area surrounding the building, as well as a creek and small waterfall. Book shelves lined the other walls, and a semi-circle of four high-backed lounge chairs sat upon a throw rug in the center of the room, around an ornate wooden table, angled so that the windows were always in view. The room was lit only by natural light, so the corners furthest from the windows were dim and a little bit imposing.

Despite this, however, the room was warm and inviting, and yet I couldn’t make myself at home. The circumstances of my visit didn’t permit that. Instead I stood in the middle of the spacious room with my hands in my pockets, kicking my foot nervously.

Then, finally, the doors opened again, and Teacher stepped into the room, shown in by Johnson, who was insisting that he remain just outside. Teacher dismissed him anyway, and closed the door as Johnson skulked away. Then Teacher turned to me, his hands behind his back, and joined me in the room proper, his famous red suit almost orange in the warm light of the sun, his long white hair gleaming gold.

“Of course I’m always glad for a visit from my favorite student,” Teacher said, speaking carefully, “but to be honest I prefer that your visits be accompanied by a little less aggression. Is there a reason for your recent demeanor?”

“I had a visit today,” I told him, “from Richie and Depre. They still insist that all of the things they told me about your plans, all of the things that they told me to get me to leave, were true. I recall that when I asked you about the things they told me, all those years ago, you told me that their words were lies. It’s why I blame them for my leaving, and not you. Today they made some compelling points, even telling me that, after I left, you took things even further. I thought it was only fair to come to you and see if you had anything to add to the conversation. Did you lie to me, and if so, then why?”

It was barely a question. At this point I could see it in Teacher’s one exposed eye, and I was as close to sure as I could be that Richie and Depre had been telling the truth. Teacher’s one exposed eye met mine, and he saw there that I had come to just that realization. He could no longer lie to me credibly, and I could practically see any notion that he’d had of doing so leave his mind. I remembered back to my time all of those years ago, to my time training with the other adoptee students.

I’d been the youngest of the group, and I’d been too stubborn and naïve to see some of those same looks in his eyes during our conversation back then. To my mature and educated mind, it was clear looking back that Teacher’s insistence upon his innocence had been nothing but lies, and I understood why. Having grown up and fallen in love, I could believe that someone would go to any lengths to see their love again. With the power that John and I had, I even sometimes worried what might happen if one of us ever lost the other.

Teacher stood silent for a few minutes, deciding what to say, and likely also trying to recall our last conversation before I’d gotten fed up with my brothers and run away. Finally he said, carefully, “If I recall, Richie and Depre told you of my plans to see my Cyndia again using stolen magic, and I told you that their assertions weren’t true, that they were jealous of you as they were jealous of the Tenmas, and that they were bullying you for that reason. Those were lies, rooted in truth. All of the things that they told you I had planned, I did then and more. Richie and Depre went against my wishes and shared my plans with you because they were jealous of you. I taught you my own style of dueling, printed you a set of Toon cards, and taught you about design, and they didn’t understand why.”

Teacher paused, took a breath, and continued, “The Duelist Kingdom Tournament was a front for my activities. I only held the tournament because it afforded me an opportunity to secure the technology that I needed to complete my plans. I would have done anything to get what I wanted. I desired more than anything to see Cyndia again, and I let that desire, and the real possibility of accomplishing that goal, to change who I was. It took my utter defeat for me to see that truth.

“I could tell you,” he concluded, “that I’ve since learned my lesson, and made peace with many of the people who I hurt. I could tell you that I’ve returned to the person that I once was, or something close to that person, and ask for your forgiveness. Instead I will just say that I’m sorry.”

I wasn’t surprised by what Teacher had said. If anything, I was relieved to have the truth out in the open. I wasn’t so much angry with Teacher as I was curious. There were still a few things that I didn’t understand, and now that Teacher was being honest with me, I felt it was finally time to get some answers.

I nodded, “Okay, fine, but explain something to me. Why did you treat me differently from even the Tenmas? Why did you teach me things that you didn’t teach the others, and prevent them from challenging me? Because of that, I never really felt like I was a part of their group, and they felt the same way. When Richie and Depre call me sister, it’s more mocking than anything else and that hurts. So tell me, why?”

Teacher hesitated. Somehow this seemed like an even harder question than the last one. I wondered why, and then I got a hard answer.

“Originally,” Teacher said, “my adopting you and the others was little more than a publicity stunt. I had nothing against taking on a group of students, but I had no desire to start a family without Cyndia. Then, working with the children, I realized that it was easy to come to care for them, some more than others. I took to the Tenmas because of their incredible natural skill as gamers, and to you because I saw some of Cyndia in you. I also saw something of myself in you, and I came to think of you as the child that she and I had never gotten the chance to have. Its why, when you left, I was able to find the resolve to go forward with my plans as soon as the opportunity presented itself.”

I was taken aback, and Teacher saw that and said quickly, “Don’t think I am blaming you for what happened, my dear. I would have carried out my plans either way. My decisions were my own.”

I sighed, “I don’t blame myself. I’m not even sure I blame you. As strange as it sounds, I understand why you did the things you did, even if I don’t condone them.”

I looked away from him, out the window. Our conversation about the past was over, and we both knew it. I paced for a minute or two, and then looked at him again, “There’s something else I need from you. I didn’t just come here today to ask questions. I-.”

“You’ve lost the cards I gave you,” Teacher interjected, but he didn’t seem upset. I looked at him questioningly, and he said, “It isn’t often that you see a Duelist of your caliber with a Duel Disk and no deck within it.”

He was as observant as ever, a true gamer of the highest order.

“Yeah,” I said, nodding, “you’re right. I need new cards. But I don’t want you to give them to me. When I was young I didn’t understand the importance of earning things for myself, but I do now. I know that you keep collections of spare cards at all of your retreats. I still have two of my cards. Give me thirty-eight random cards to go along with them, and then duel me, without going easy on me. If I win, I get to make a deck out of any of your cards that I want.”

I looked at him seriously. I wanted him to know that I meant every word, and he did. He nodded and said, “Alright, I accept your challenge. Follow me.”

Teacher led me through another room to something like a dungeon basement. I shook my head, amused as always by Teacher’s odd choice of aesthetics. He led me through the room, past a full-size Duel Arena, like the ones which still littered Duelist Kingdom, to the back wall. As he approached, a panel slid from the wall. Teacher touched his thumb to it, and the wall slid open, revealing a hidden room containing three huge shelves, which themselves contained three of each Duel Monsters card in existence, as well as, I would wager, some cards which had yet to make it to circulation.

“I’ll leave you alone for a while to build your deck,” Teacher told me. He turned to leave, but I interrupted him, “that won’t be necessary.”

My Soul of Imagination flashed, and thirty-eight instances of the small fairy Duel Monster ‘Dancing Fairy’ appeared and fluttered into the room on glimmering wings. They branched out and each snatched up a random card from the shelves and checked them. A few returned the cards that they’d drawn, seeing that they simply couldn’t be used in a draft deck, and chose again, repeating this until finally each of them had returned and given their choice to me before flickering out of existence. I removed my last two cards, ‘Dark Magician Girl’ and ‘Toon Dark Magician Girl’, from my pocket, added them to the other thirty-eight, and shuffled.

“Impressive trick,” Teacher said, clearly amused.

“Soul of Imagination,” I replied. “It lets me manifest my will. My power grows stronger in certain situations, and even I’m not really sure what those are, so I mostly just create Duel Monsters to keep things simple.”

I turned to Teacher and held up my new deck, “Now, let’s get started.”

We each stepped up to one end of the old style duel arena, and placed our decks upon our respective duel fields. Teacher drew his cards like a man who was comfortable with his options, while I drew my opening hand more slowly and apprehensively.

“I concede the first turn to you,” Teacher told me politely. I nodded, and then I looked over my cards, and I smiled.

Well, I thought, this might be more fun that I realized.

I selected a card from my hand, and the duel began.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment