Sunday, April 19, 2015

Digimon Adventure ND Book One: Manipulamon Reigns - Chapter Twenty-Five

And finally, the first book in the Digimon ND series comes to a close in a chapter with lots and action (and lots of Digivolution padding, just like the show!), This chapter introduces us, briefly, to the next villain of the series. More importantly, though, it reveals the identity of the last Digidestined. Because this is the intro of this character, and technically not the villain, I don't dwell much on him here, and it's hard to get a feel for his personality. Let me put it this way for anyone who is curious about this character: where Manipulamon was smart, subtle and calculating, thinking things through, this guy is the exact opposite. He knows how powerful he is, he makes no secret of his desire to be even more powerful, and he will punch to death anyone who gets in his way. 

This chapter also introduces us to an alternate of another of my Yu-Gi-Oh! characters. Yes, that Chief Thompson is the alternate version of Detective Thompson from Reaper. At some point in Reaper (I can't remember if I've written this part yet or not, so maybe spoilers) we learn that Thompson was offered a transfer to Ohio, but he turned it down. From this story, we learn that if he'd taken it, he'd have been made a Police Chief, the stress of the job would have lessened, and he probably would have hung onto his relationship with his wife and kids. Even this mostly upbeat adventure story can serve to make Reaper even more depressing. Go figure.

We will not be going right into Book Two. First I'll be taking a break from the main story and posting a special story, akin to the specials that I've posted for Yu-Gi-Oh! DF. This special will feature characters created by some of my friends from yugiohcardmaker.net. At the time they went by frohawk and finalflash30. I don't know what they go by now, or even if they are still on the site. This story itself is an interesting one: a legend of the "Lost Digidestined" of my version of the Digital World, told as a campfire story by Mechmon.

Oh and, uh, sorry for the cliffhanger. Except not really. 



Chapter Twenty-Five

Tyranterramon


My team and I emerged from the Digiport outside a shop downtown. No one seemed to notice, or if they did, they thought they were going crazy and just kept walking. Either way, it worked for me. What people did seem to notice was the Digimon. They stared at us and the Digimon, but we didn’t care. We were finally home!

We walked for awhile, trying to find a way back to our hometown. We had no money, so we couldn’t take the bus, and we didn’t have our cell phones anymore, obviously. We were pretty much stranded. Luckily we were soon spotted by a police officer, a lieutenant. He recognized us as a group of missing kids and took us back to the station to meet with his superior, Chief Jeffery Thompson. When the lieutenant asked us to leave our “pets” outside, the tall, strong-looking, slightly heavyset late-thirty-something-year-old police chief told us to bring them with us to his office. Even then I had a feeling that he knew something. My suspicions were increased when he asked the lieutenant to wait outside while he interviewed us privately, something that he really wasn't supposed to do if multiple episodes of Law and Order are any indication.

Once we were inside Thompson’s office and the blinds were closed, he turned to me and said, respectfully, “You’re the leader here?”

“The leader of what exactly?” Jeremy asked, meaning to deny our identities as Digidestined for as long as possible, but I raised my hand to silence him. I could tell that this guy wasn't going to be a problem.

“Yes,” I said, as respectful as the Chief had been to me, “I’m John, leader of the Digidestined. These creatures are our partner Digimon.”

Thompson nodded and sat down at his desk. “I thought so. There were several attacks by Digimon in several majors cities throughout the world a couple years back. Cincinnati was almost completely untouched, and the situation was resolved by a group of kids who have since dropped off the radar, but I'm sure you guys remember the new reports. You haven't been gone that long. The official position is that it was a terrorist attack and that Digimon don’t exist, but I have always believed. I’ve been researching Digimon on my own time since the incident on the web years ago. I was fortunate enough to see that event live.”

“Then we’re lucky we found you,” I replied, “Instead of someone who doesn't know about Digimon. I think those kids, on the web, and at the attacks two years ago, may have been other Digidestined who were chosen by the guardians of a different Digital World than the one that our Digimon are from. A threat will soon appear that we are destined to suppress, but first we have to find another Digimon and his human partner. We think it's someone that we know.”

Thompson looked confused, like he didn't quite get everything that we were saying, but he nodded, “What can I do to help?”

“Well, for starters you can get us home and give us access to a phone so we can get our parents together in one place. They should know what’s going on. Then you can give us your number so that if we come up with any leads on the kid we’re trying to locate, you can help us find him.”

Thompson grumbled and buried his face in his hands. Then he looked up at me and said, “I can’t help you find this kid. I understand that you kids are the only ones who can do this, the reports of the battles two years ago proved that, but I won’t help put a child in danger. It goes against the nature of my job. You seem smart, so I’m sure you’ll find whoever it is that you’re looking for on your own, and I will promise not to get in your way.”

I was disappointed, but I nodded and asked, “What about letting us call our parents and then giving us a ride?”

Thompson nodded. “That much I will do.”

“Okay,” I said, “I'll work with what I can get. Thanks.”


I called my mom. Jeremy called his parents and told them that he was okay, but that he would not be home for a while, that he had something to do. He explained just as much as was necessary to assure them that he was alright while Jen called her parents, and then Amanda called her mom. We asked our parents, meaning my mom, my aunt and uncle, and my other aunt (Amanda’s mom) to meet at my house. It was the closest to the station. They agreed, after some serious prompting, and everything was arranged.

Thompson had some officers drive us home. They dropped us off and we went inside to confront our families. There was a lot of arguing and crying, so I’ll spare you the details. Basically our parents didn’t believe us, so we proved to them that our Digimon were real Digimon. Then they didn’t want us to go, so we convinced them, with help from the Digimon, that the entire world would be in trouble if we did nothing. My mom was the first to accept it. She didn’t like it, and she tried really hard to ground me and my sister and actually make it stick so that we wouldn't go, but in her own way she understood. She talked to my Digimon, and she came to realize that they would give their lives for us, and that helped her to get it.

With her help we were able to gain ground with Amanda’s mom, and then Jen’s parents. It hurt them when we all flat out told them that we could not and would not stay if they told us to and that we wouldn't let them come with us, and it hurt us to hurt them. Compared to Manipulamon, however, our parents were no obstacle at all, and so we were able to stay in control of the conversation from beginning to end and earn a kind of reluctant acceptance from them all.

The most genuine resistance that we encountered came from Jen’s sister, Kris, who had long since recovered from her flu. After we were finished saying goodbye to our parents and after I got some money from a hiding place in my room, for the bus, as well as a few more things, and we headed outside, we found ourselves face to face with Kris, a stern look on her face.

“You aren’t going,” she said, “unless I can come too.”

“No way Kris,” I told her, “we’ll have enough to deal with trying to find the missing kid. The last thing we need to be doing is worrying about you.”

“I-I can help,” said TechnoPupmon. “I’ll stay with Kris and if this Digimon shows up I’ll get her to safety.”

I looked from Kris to TechnoPupmon, and something occurred to me. I looked at Jen, and she nodded. “Okay,” I said. “You guys can come. But TechnoPupmon, you have to promise to protect Kris no matter what.”

He nodded, “You can count on me!”

“Alright,” I said, “it’s time to find the missing kid!”

That’s when things got bad fast.

There was an earth shaking explosion in the distance. I whipped out the handheld and scanned as far out as I could. I was relieved to see that it worked just as well in this world as it did in the Digital World.

I’m detecting a massive digital signal about ten miles back toward the city,” I announced. “Looks like the missing kid will have to wait. Time to go to work. We’d better fly.”

Are you sure that's a good idea?” Sarah asked. We'd all agreed before arriving at Desert Tower that we should do our best to keep our Digimon secret, and now I was blatantly suggesting that we do otherwise.

Yeah,” I said, still staring at the signal on the Digicomp screen. “The energy that this thing is giving off is too much for the Digicomp to measure. We can't wait.”

We took out our Digivices and called, “Initiate Direct Digivolution!”

“Serpentmon, Direct Digivolve to! WingedDragonterramon!”

“BlackColtmon, Direct Digivolve to! JousterStaliamon!”

“Coltmon, Direct Digivolve to! MetalStaliamon!”

“Ponymon, Direct Digivolve to! TechnoFillimon!”

“Mechmon, Direct Digivolve to! MegaMechamon!”

“Chickomon, Direct Digivolve to! MetalBrauntomon!”

In an instant the seven of us (six humans and a digital dog) were being carried by the flying Digimon. JousterStaliamon ran below us as we took off. I looked back, and I saw that our parents had stepped outside when they'd heard the explosion, just in time to see us fly away. It made me sad, like I was willingly giving something up, but I didn't have time to dwell. It wasn’t long before we were at the source of the Digimon signal. The area was nearly devoid of life. Seeing something like what we were seeing now has a tendency to make you run away.

“My God,” said Jeremy, staring at the mammoth figure before us. Hovering a few feet into the air, with fractal code data swirling around him, was a huge muscular humanoid creature. He wore brown leather armor from his waist down to his knees, and a studded brown leather pad over his right shoulder. There was a spiked ring around his right wrist, and a spike free metal ring around his left wrist. His right arm was bigger than his left. Over his head he wore a helm resembling a roman centurion’s, except without the brush-like plume. He was about thirty to thirty-five percent taller than ViralManipulamon, making him about thirty stories tall. His eyes were closed and he was unmoving.

“It doesn’t look like he’s fully emerged yet,” I said to my team as we lowered slowly to the ground to join JousterStaliamon. “Maybe if we hit him now with everything we have we can destroy him before he’s able to counterattack.

“You heard him,” said WingedDragonterramon, “full power!”

Mine, Sarah’s and Jen’s Digivices came online, and we swiped our Digidisks through the input slots on our Digiplayers, calling out, “Initiate Ultimate Digivolution!”

“WingedDragonterramon, Ultimate Digivolve to!”

“JousterStaliamon, Ultimate Digivolve to!”

“MetalStaliamon, Ultimate Digivolve to!”

“TechnoFillimon, Ultimate Digivolve to!”

“MetalDragonterramon!”

“Knighthramon!”

“MechAngemon!”

“TechAngewomon!”

The six Digimon took to the sky and moved in to attack.





Kris


Even though the others had the enemy outnumbered, I still had a really bad feeling. I didn't know nearly as much about Digimon as my sister and the others, but I could still feel the power rolling off of this guy. The Digimon circled the unmoving foe and launched their various attacks. The attacks seemed to have no effect, other than to wake him up.

“Who dares wake Tyranterramon?” the massive form demanded, his voice shaking the ground.

“We do,” said MetalDragonterramon. “We won't let you emerge into this world!”

The Digimon fired their attacks again. Tyranterramon was hit, and he stumbled, hurt, but not enough to actually see. He raised his right arm and called “Tyranterra Fist!” He punched, and a shock-wave burst from his fist, slamming John's Digimon into Sarah and Jen's Digimon, so hard that they were sent tumbling into a building across the street before rising from the rubble and back into the air. The Digimon spread out and moved to attack again, but Tyranterramon swung his fist a second time, sending all six Digimon sprawling through the air, out of control.
I have to help somehow, I thought. I really feel like I’m here for a reason. It's why I made them bring me along. There has to be something that I can do, but I wouldn't even know where to start to help with something like this!

As I watched, Knighthramon was hit by another attack and was hurt. His sword was blasted out of his hand, and his armor was cracked. His body was probably pretty damaged underneath. To recover he de-Digivolved to BlackColtmon, and he fell from the sky. John ran forward and caught him. “Take a break,” he told the little horse, “and then we’ll hit him again once you reach full strength.”

I was frustrated. I wanted to be someone that the others could rely upon to help them fight. I wanted that sincerely, more than I'd wanted anything before. I resolved to do whatever I could to turn this battle in our favor and stop the giant Digimon, and suddenly a sharp buzzing came from my pocket.

I took out my cell phone, which seemed to be where the sound was coming from, and I found it glowing with a grass green light. It split into two and became a green Digivice and Digiplayer. I caught them, and a beam shot from the Digivice screen and hit TechnoPupmon. Something came out of him, at the point where the beam had hit him, hitting my chest. It became a tag with a Crest inside. The symbol was a droplet with a circle in it.

“I get it now,” I said, looking down at TechnoPupmon gleefully, “I was the missing kid all along. Which means that you must be my Digimon partner!”

Knew it,” said Jen, smiling down at me.

“What are we waiting for?” TechnoPupmon asked, turning toward the battle, poised to attack, “Let’s help them!”

“Right,” I said, instinctively passing my hand over my Crest Tag. The crest came out and became a disk, which I caught in my hand, and inserted into my Digiplayer, as I attached it and my Digivice together. I held the devices up over my head and called out, “Initiate Digiplayer Digivolution!”




John


Tyranterramon continued to punch wildly, scoring multiple hits and leaving the Digimon an absolute mess. Every one of his attacks seemed to get stronger, as if he were still shaking the fatigue from his enormous bones. I watched the enemy’s expression from my place below. He seemed utterly unconcerned with the strength levels of my Digimon. It was clear that he was merely using them as a warmup. That meant that his attacks could become potentially much stronger. For the first time since the Manipulamon avatar had first appeared to us in the forest, I was truly scared.

Tyranterramon hit MetalDragonterramon with a full on punch, rather than just the energy waved from one. The strike stunned him nearly to unconsciousness. Tyranterramon caught him in one hand, by the neck.

“You bore me,” said Tyranterramon. “Maybe if I kill you your friends will put up a better fight.”

He tossed the limp form of my Digimon into the air, and wound up to hit him again, calling, “Tyranterra Fist!”

“No!” I cried, as Tyranterramon's fist was wreathed in energy. “MetalDragonterramon, move!” I looked around. None of the other Digimon were in any position to deflect the attack.

Tyranterramon punched, the white aura around his fist turning a wicked-looking red. I ran toward my Digimon, ready to do anything that I could to save him, but there was nothing I could do. I watched in horror, but just before the attack hit its mark, a gleaming humanoid shape jumped up and pulled MetalDragonterramon out of harm’s way. Then, seconds later, four red gashes appeared on Tyranterramon’s chest. He was surprised, stumbling back and staring down at the wound.

I looked around, trying to locate MetalDragonterramon and the figure. I saw them. The new arrival was supporting the still-winded MetalDragonterramon. He was humanoid with an animal-like head, like that of a wolf. He also had a tail, and his hands and feet were more like paws. His body was made of green and blue metal.

“Is that-?” I began.

“Yep,” said Kris, walking up to my side, her arms crossed proudly over her chest, “that's my partner Digimon, TechnoPupmon’s Perfect form, TechnoWeremon. And it looks like he's faster than the bad guy, whatever his name was.”

“Yeah,” I said, “it does. But he needs to be careful. Speed isn't everything.” I looked down at BlackColtmon and asked, “You ready to get back in this?”

“You bet!” He answered. I could tell that he was still winded, but against a Digimon as powerful as Tyranterramon, I needed all hands on deck, so I didn't argue.

I brandished my Digivice, “Alright then, Initiate Warp Digivolution!”

“BlackColtmon, Warp Digivolve to! Knighthramon!” The highly skilled Warrior Digimon took to the air, drawing his frozen lance, but he seemed to be moving slower than usual. He was hurting.

“Tyranterramon,” said TechnoWeremon, “now that I’m here this fight is gonna go in a different direction.” He jumped up and slashed with glowing red claws, calling, “Static Thorn!” Four waves of energy flew toward Tyranterramon’s chest. Tyranterramon raised his arm, charged with power that seemed to pour from the metal ring around his wrist. The energy waves were deflected, but while Tyranterramon was busy with the Static Thorn, TechnoWeremon jumped up and two cannons flipped up over his shoulders. He called out, “Biotech Lasers!” Two thick beams burst from the cannon barrels, hitting Tyranterramon in the chest. They did little if any damage, and I noticed that the four cuts in Tyranterramon's chest were already gone, but the attack was strong enough that it seemed to get the enemy's attention. That wasn't what I cared about, though. Thanks to TechnoWeremon's attacks, we now knew that this Digimon could heal just as fast as ViralManipulamon, maybe even faster.
Then I guess, I thought, that we should stop giving him time to recover.

“Finishing attacks!” I commanded. The Digimon circled their foe and called out their attacks, firing in rapid succession. Explosions filled the air around the massive foe’s torso and head. When the smoke cleared, Tyranterramon seemed virtually undamaged.

“He’s still waking up,” I said as the truth hit me. “His data is still integrating. That means that he can heal fast, since his data is still recompiling. It also means that his attacks will keep growing stronger, and his skin will keep growing thicker. But it also means that this might be our last chance to deal him any lasting harm. Hit him again!”

“Heh,” said Tyranterramon, sounding as if he was finally enjoying himself, “don’t think that I’ll make that easy for you. Terror Blast!” Beams fired from Tyranterramon’s eyes, sweeping over the Digimon, throwing them all violently to the ground. Tyranterramon reached down and peeled the side off of a nearby building, throwing at toward the Digimon. Then he fired his beam again, causing the massive chunk of stone to explode. The debris scattered through the air, hitting the Digimon like a wave of bullets. The only one of the Digimon to remain on his feet was the living fortress that we like to call MegaMechamon.

He pushed through the attack and then took aim with all of his weapons, calling, “Full Assault!” Every one of his weapons fired, but the massive Tyranterramon jumped back two hundred yards in an instant. The beams missed completely, and the missiles lost their lock, spiraling toward a nearby, long-evacuated gas station. They hit, igniting the gasoline, kicking up a huge explosion that rose high into the air. Tyranterramon scooped up a chunk of flaming debris from the gas station fire, and he threw it toward an area not far away, where news crews, officers, and civilians had gathered to get a glimpse of what was going on.

“Guys,” I commanded, “stop that fireball!”

MetalDragonterramon and MetalBrauntomon shot back into the air and veered toward the fireball, trying to intercept it. The people scattered, but if the Digimon failed, it wouldn’t make a difference.

Just in the nick of time, MetalDragonterramon, straining, caught the fireball long enough for MetalBrauntomon to bat it back toward the source with his tail. Tyranterramon punched, shattering the fireball just a few feet away from his face. Through the flaming debris flew Knighthramon, taking the opportunity to attack. He raised his lance and stabbed, a wave of cold energy following in the weapon’s wake, hitting the massive enemy in the forehead. The utterly confused Tyranterramon wasn't able to brace himself against the impact quickly enough, and he fell back into a building, using it to catch himself.

“My data hasn't fully integrated, yet,” the enemy said, reaching the same conclusion that I had. “I am not at full strength. It must be this place. I am too far from the resonance of the Cores.”

Tyranterramon regained his footing. “Time to take this to my home turf,” he announced.

“We’re not finished yet,” said TechnoWeremon. He leaped up, his claws raised. Tyranterramon punched, just as the metallic werewolf slashed. TechnoWeremon was hit, de-Digivolving to TechnoPupmon, but at the same time four red gashes, deeper than the previous four, appeared on Tyranterramon’s chest. He cried out in pain, and held an energy-charged hand over the wound, actually burning it closed. Then, as if nothing had happened, he raised his fist, charged white, and punched toward the sky. The sky itself seemed to rip open, and a massive hole appeared. It was a portal, with the Digital World visible on the other side.

This Digimon was nearly invulnerable with great attack power, intelligence and speed, and an awareness of just how much he outclassed us, and now it seemed that he could use a concentrated version of his attack to open portals between locations. I couldn’t think of any way to defeat the monstrous Tyranterramon, and it seemed that our battle with him had only just begun.


Continue to Special #1 >>

No comments:

Post a Comment