Sunday, April 12, 2015

Digimon Adventure ND Book One: Manipulamon Reigns - Chapter Twenty-Four

This chapter is a little shorter than most, but that's because this is a chapter of transition, from the first storyline to the second, and more so, as this is the last chapter where there will be only five humans on the team. There is no action in this chapter, just character stuff and world-building, so I tried to make it humorous. Before you leave an angry comment that this chapter wasn't funny, note that I said "tried".



Chapter Twenty-Four

A New Enemy is Foreseen


That night I settled into the room that the machines had built for me in High Tower after it was clear that we would be staying a while. The others went to rooms prepared for them. Even the Digimon had their own rooms. It was really impressive how much the machines could get done in almost no time at all. Once I'd settled in for the night, I took out the Digicomp and inserted the handheld, turning the computer on, and activating the A.I.

“How can I help you?” the A.I. asked.

“Well, we beat Manipulamon. So I was wondering, how exactly do we get home?”

“You must return to the place where the veil is thinnest between this world and your own,” the computer answered in a matter of fact way, “and use your Digivice ND’s to open a Digiport.”

I waited.

“Anything else?” the computer asked.

“Uh, yeah. Where’s this place where the veil is thinnest? You didn’t tell me.”

“The veil is thinnest at the place where you found me,” the computer said. “The only place in this world where a Digiport can be opened is-.”


“So you’re saying that to get home all we have to do is go back to Desert Tower?” asked Jen. We had just left the Citadel less than twenty minutes ago, had already passed the area of the forest where our battle with ViralManipulamon had taken place, and we were on our way back toward the river and Digital Bridge: the first stop on our way to the desert.

“Yep,” I said. “We just gotta get there and activate our Digivices.”

Amanda looked shocked, “I-it’s that simple?”

“Yeah,” I replied, trying to sound smart by pretending that I'd known all along. “Why, what did you think we’d have to do?”

“I dunno,” said Sarah, “but I was sure that there would be more than that!”

“Nope.”

Sarah looked me right in the eyes and said, “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” I said, laughing, “I’m sure.”

The eager-to-serve TechnoPupmon, who had been following along at Jen's side since we'd left, spoke next, “So that’s it? We beat ViralManipulamon and now we’re going to the real world?”

“Yeah,” I said. “Hey, why are you following us anyway?”

“I dunno,” he answered. “I just feel like I’m supposed to.”

I shrugged, “Sounds legit to me.”

“I wish Dokugumon and her friends could have come too,” said Amanda a little wistfully.

“We all do,” said Jen.

“Yeah,” said Serpentmon, “but from what I've heard about your worlds, giant Insectoids and reptiles wouldn't be very welcome there. Besides, Dokugumon, Birdramon, and Tuskmon belong in this world where they can help the Digimon whose lives have been upset by Manipulamon to get back on track.”

“But the six, or I guess seven, of us,” said Chickomon, “are a lot smaller and easier to hide, and we all belong with the five of you, wherever you go-.”

“Cool,” said Sarah, interrupting him, “but hey, I just had a great idea! We’re gonna be going right by Amphibian Village right?”

“Yeah,” said Jeremy.

“So,” said Sarah, “we should stop by there and see the Gekomon and Otamamon and maybe stay the night. You know, have some fun with our friends!”

“Sounds good to me,” I said. “Forget Digital Bridge. Next stop: Amphibian Village!”


We set up camp for the night once it got dark. Mechmon and TechnoPupmon pooled the power from their energy systems, letting them stay both conscious and observant all night. They acted as lookouts. It also gave me a chance to learn more about TechnoPupmon through Mechmon, since he would spend hours alone with our new addition. I know I’m sounding paranoid, but the Digital World isn’t exactly one hundred percent trustworthy, right?

I was about to lay back and sleep when I looked up into the starry sky, wondering,
So it’s over. Have we really brought about a time of peace for this world, or is there something more?


We rose the next morning along with the sun. We had a (less than) hearty breakfast of apples and mushrooms and water. It was exactly like our dinner from the previous night. God I wanted a cheeseburger, and now, after weeks, we weren't far off from me getting one. It was torture. After breakfast we packed up our bedrolls and packs and pressed forward again. It would be nearly another day’s journey to the village, and yet another day’s walk to the Desert Tower. It was getting dark when Jeremy said, “Hey look. The vegetation is getting more tropical. It won’t be long now.”

And he was right. It was only about thirty minutes before the branches parted and we found ourselves in the edge of Amphibian Village once again.

One of the Gekomon saw us and cried out, “Humans? Hey, it’s the Humans!” Gekomon and Otamamon poured from the huts and surrounded us happily. It wasn’t long before Elder Gekomon, who had been standing near the pond talking with some villagers, heard the sounds of our welcoming committee and came to see us as well.

The villagers parted to let their leader through, and the crowd fell silent. Elder Gekomon stepped up to us. He was carrying a staff to symbolize his position. He stopped just in from of us and said, “Greetings Digidestined and Digimon. We welcome you back to our village. We also congratulate you on your victory over Manipulamon’s Ultimate form, ViralManipulamon. But, sadly, congratulations are short lived, for I have bad news. Please, follow me.”


Elder Gekomon led us across the pond in the woven boats. They were surprisingly sturdy, though it shouldn't have been a surprise, considering that our woven-leaf bags and bedrolls still looked new. Once we reached the opposite side we walked with the Elder Gekomon and his two Gekomon assistants for a short distance through the trees. It wasn’t long before we reached the mouth of a cave, well-hidden behind some shrubs at the base of a hill.

We stepped inside and found ourselves in a massive cavern big enough to fit two, maybe three Machinedramons. In the center of the cavern, on a pedestal, was a glowing crystal sphere the size of a grapefruit, the light of which illuminated the entire area. As we grew closer, the crystal rose several inches above the pedestal and began to rotate slowly in the air.

“This,” said Elder Gekomon, “is the Azulong-Crystal. It was left by the great Digimon Sovereign of this world in the time before the great synchronization of time between the three worlds, and it the source of the magic power that hides this place. It was given to him by one of the Sovereigns of the first Digital World, for which the crystal is named, as a way for this world’s Sovereign to look into the future of people or groups tied to this world.

Over time, he gave it to one of the former leaders of this village. He knew that his time in this world was coming to an end, and he wanted the Crystal’s power to continue to be used for good. The leader of our village gains the power to read the future using the crystal through a sacred ritual. When you left our village the last time I used the Crystal to look into your future.

“I saw your battle with ViralManipulamon as well as the crossroads that would either lead to your victory or defeat. Then I saw another crossroads. One that led me to push the Crystal’s power to the absolute limit, and I saw something that I never expected.”

I looked down at the small frog Digimon and asked, “W-what’s that?”

“I saw you back in your world,” he said, “fighting a more powerful evil than Manipulamon. More powerful even than his Ultimate Level form ViralManipulamon. An evil that will be unleashed upon your world in a matter of days!”

“What do you mean ‘a more powerful evil than Manipulamon’,” I demanded, feeling like I might panic, the others looking about as bad, “and how did it get to Earth?”

“I don’t know,” said Elder Gekomon, sounding genuinely upset that he couldn't tell me more. “All I know is that normally something that powerful shouldn’t be able to leak through the Digital Matrix that separates this world from yours. That means he went there purposefully. He must have some unusual abilities if he’s able to break through into another world. Also, if I interpreted the vision correctly, the Digimon will not only attack your world, but your hometown specifically.”

“What?” Jen asked.

“How could you know that?” I asked Gekomon. “You’ve never seen our hometown.”

“Because,” said Elder Gekomon, “I saw thirteen of you fighting the new threat; six Humans and seven Digimon. There was someone else with you. Another Digidestined. And you seemed like you knew them.”

“So someone we know back home is also a Digidestined?” Jeremy asked.

“Yes,” said Elder Gekomon, “and if I’m correct your success against this new enemy will be greatly dependent on finding them.”


Later that evening we sat down with the Gekomon and Otamamon and ate dinner. To celebrate my team’s victory over Manipulamon the Gekomon brought meat from their meat farms nearby. They explained that in the Digital World you could grow meat from the ground, but that the Gekomon didn’t have much because good meat farming conditions were hard to find in tropical areas. It was all very interesting. Despite Elder Gekomon’s rather menacing prophesy, I even managed to have a good time.

After the meal we set up camp in the same large hut from our first time in the village. Mechmon and TechnoPupmon were able to shut down for awhile, finally getting some rest. Elder Gekomon sent one of his assistants to wake us early so that we could begin the final stretch of our journey. We set out, using the handheld’s map functions to guide us.

“So John,” Jen asked, her excitement apparent in her voice, “who do you think that this sixth kid is?”

“I dunno,” I answered.

I bet I know,” Jen replied teasingly.

I laughed, “Yeah, I bet you do, too.”

“Let's see if I can figure this out,” said Jeremy, standing up straighter as he walked. “Well, the Elder Gekomon said that we all knew them. I moved away years ago, so that narrows it down a bit, right?”

“Uh huh,” said Sarah, “it makes sense.” Amanda and Chickomon nodded. We all looked at Jen, but she only smiled back cheekily. She wasn't telling.

BlackColtmon looked up at Serpentmon, who was riding on my shoulders, and said, “Whoever this guy is, I hope he can pick up some of your slack.” Serpentmon stuck his tongue out as his only response.

We were on the last day of our journey, and we were making the best of it. We had already left the Oasis area and entered the edge of the Desert Region. We walked through the hot sun with our jackets tied up over our heads for a couple hours before Amanda cried, “Look, there it is! Desert Tower!”

Sure enough there it was, just on the horizon. We picked up our pace.


“Okay,” Sarah said, looking up at the tower with her hands on her hips, “now what?”

“Well,” I said, “that’s where I come in. You guys should ask the Digicomp more questions, you know.”

“We can’t,” said Sarah. “You always hog it.”

“Just watch and learn,” I said. I raised my Digivice up, aiming the screen at the tower, and I called, “Digiport open!”

At first nothing happened. The others laughed, and Jen asked, “Are you still sure that we don't have to do anything else first?”

Just wait,” I said, standing there with my Digivice held up in from of me. A moment later, a swirling portal opened in the air ahead of us. I turned to the others and said, “There you go. Now let’s get going!”

Smiling at the frustrated looks on my friends faces, I led the way into the portal, anxious to reach the other side.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment