Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Seven: Their Most Dangerous Enemy - Chapter Twelve

And thus Lawrence's storyline concludes. Finally, after so much time humiliating this character, I give him a story where he grows as a character and accomplishes something. I hope I made this duel exciting. I certainly feel like it is. I love how this duel ends. I got to use a few original card ideas I've had for a while, and I got to show off what Lawrence can do when he actually puts his mind to it, and feels that he has a reason to do well. I also set up for a huge transformation to Lawrence's character at this point. He will, from now on, try to distance himself not just from Kaiba, but from Kaiba's attitude and influence. At the end of this chapter he leaves something important to him behind (well, three somethings), and that's permanent. Next time we see Lawrence duel after this, we'll see the affects of that decision.

The next chapter is Karen going to meet up with Pegasus and get clarification regarding some of the shocking things that she recently learned about him and is, peripherally, tied to the main plot. Then, surprisingly, the two of them play a card game where I feature the anime version of a card that I really wish was like the anime version IRL, as well as a slew of new Toon monsters that I made. It's the original master of Toons versus the master of field control! I mean, there is a chapter of Reaper in there again before the duel even starts, but hey, that's just how I troll.



Chapter Twelve

A Clash of Titans



Kaiba scowled as he assessed his hand. It was obvious that I’d forced him to use up valuable resources much earlier than he’s planned, leaving him low on options and facing down my ‘Blue-Eyes’ and my soon-to-be seven card hand.

“I activate,” Kaiba announced, “my ‘Card of Demise’, drawing until I hold five cards, as long as I agree to give up my hand in five turns.”

I watched as Kaiba drew cards for the effect of a Spell that he’d intended to save for a big play later in the duel, as his scowl softened and turned into a wicked smile.

“If I can’t overcome your dragon,” Kaiba declared, “I’ll match it with a dragon of my own. I play ‘Advance Force’. While I control this card, my Level Five and Six monsters act as both tributes for the summoning of a Level Seven or Eight monster.”

‘Swordstalker’’s shadow shimmered, and rose up becoming a second, semi-solid monster, and both disappeared from the field.

“Behold,” Kaiba declared dramatically, “a true ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’!” In a burst of white light, Kaiba’s own blue-eyed, white-skinned beast appeared, only the more pronounced body segment plates and slightly different wings of my dragon distinguishing them from each other. The two dragons faced each other down and roared.

“I place two cards face-down,” Kaiba concluded, still smiling, “and I end my turn. Let’s see if your ‘Blue-Eyes’ can overcome the original.”

I went to draw, but I found that my hand was shaking. I looked up at my opponent’s monster. Seto Kaiba’s ‘Blue-Eyes’ was a legend, and while I did have a ‘Blue-Eyes’ of my own, and while I did have a potential plan to defeat his, it still had an overwhelming presence. Kaiba’s dragon, one of the original ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragons’ created to be the rarest and most powerful cards ever printed for the main release of the game, seemed to give off a unique aura, one which threatened to overpower me. Not even my own dragon standing at my eyes was enough to alleviate my anxiety.

I’d come here intending to duel my mentor. It was why I had parted ways with Monty to begin with. But, as usual, I’d allowed my emotions to get the best of me, and I’d turned this duel into something with real stakes. I refused to allow myself to fall into anymore of the traps that I usually set for myself.

This time I would not allow myself to look like a fool. I would win this duel, no matter what, and no dragon, no matter how legendary, would stand in my way.

I drew, looked at my newest acquisition, and smiled, “I set four cards, and I pass the turn to you.”

Kaiba drew his next card, still convinced of his superiority, and completely unaware that I wasn’t just reacting, that I actually had a plan.

“Your ‘Decoy Dragon’ is a problem,” Kaiba reasoned, “but no problem is too difficult for me to overcome. I activate the Permanent Spell card ‘Overwhelming White Light’. While I control this card, when my Light monster battles your monster with less Attack, the excess energy from my attack splashes onto another of your monsters with Attack less than the difference. But, if I activate a Spell or Trap during my Main Phase, this card is destroyed.”

I scowled, He’s planning to use that spell to destroy ‘Decoy Dragon’ without having to attack it, preventing me from using it as an infinite wall, but the only other monster I control is my ‘Blue-Eyes’. That means he either has a way to power up his ‘Dragon’, or weaken mine. If it’s the former, I’ll probably lose this, but if not, I still have a chance.

Kaiba’s malicious smile widened, “Now, I attack your ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ with mine, Burst Stream of Destruction!”

Kaiba’s dragon opened wide it’s maw, collecting light within it, ready to breath it at my monster in the form of its signature deadly beam.

“And I make sure my attack gets through,” Kaiba announced, “with ‘Shadow Spell’, ensnaring your monster, cutting its attack.”

I let out a held breath. As my monster’s shadow, deepened by the building light of my opponent’s attack, reached up and formed chains which threatened to ensnare him, I declared, “Reveal, ‘Dragon’s Bead’. I discard a card to negate a Trap which targets my dragon and destroy it.”

A green glow appeared around my dragon, and the chains dissolved.

My opponent scowled, “Then I won’t attack after all, and I end my turn.”

I smiled, You may be afraid to let our monsters battle it out at full strength, but I’m not.

I drew, “It’s time I solidified my control of this duel. I summon ‘Lord of Dragons’ in attack mode, and command him to attack your monster.”

“What?!” my opponent exclaimed as my dragon-armored sorcerer (ATK: 1200) summoned an orb of black light to throw at the ‘White Dragon’, only for him to be vaporized in a wave of white light which swept over him from above (8000 -> 6200).

“What did that accomplish?” Kaiba wondered condescendingly.

“Oh,” I said, gesturing behind me, “nothing, except contributing to that, my ‘Guardian Idol’ Field Trap.”

As I spoke, the ground beneath us became a rocky land bridge. Behind me, at the end of the land bridge, appeared a huge stone statue of a man which towered above the field. A crystal in his chest began to flash blue, and stones rose us from beneath the land bridge and floated slowly around the statue’s head.

Kaiba’s eyes narrowed, “An interesting card, and a risky one. It won’t pay off, though, because I won’t let you get off the four attacks that you need to activate its full effect.”

My eyes narrowed likewise, “You don’t have a choice. Next, I attack your ‘Blue-Eyes’ with my own.”

The two nearly identical dragons unleashed their identically-powerful attacks, which met in midair in a brilliant flash of white light, and the flashing in the statue’s chest intensified, more stones rising up to orbit it.

I showed Kaiba the same smile that he so enjoyed showing others, “but I don’t plan on our monsters destroying each other. Oh no, I’m activating a Spell which I included in my deck just for situations like this, the Spell card ‘Ultimate Clash’, which sets off various effects based on how similar our battling monsters are to each other.”

Even through the glow of our still-clashing monsters’ attacks, I saw Kaiba’s eyes widen in alarm.

“That’s right,” I told Kaiba, “because our monsters are completely identical, I activate every effect. We each take damage for each monster we control, for the levels of our battling monsters, and damage equal to the attack of the opponent’s battling monster, and then one card that each of us controls is destroyed.”

Energy surged from the clashing beams, striking each of us (7500 -> 3600/6200 -> 2200), rolling off of us, and destroying Kaiba’s ‘Overwhelming White Light’, and my ‘Dragon’s Bead’.

“Next,” I explained, standing there completely unfazed by the staggering loss of life that I’d just experienced, something which Kaiba couldn’t himself boast, “We each get to remove one card from our Graveyard to our hand, and thanks to your ‘Virus’ card, I can choose from practically my entire deck.”

I reached down and took a card from my Graveyard into my hand triumphantly.

“And finally,” I said as the two clashing dragons finally got winded and there attacks came to an end, “because our two monsters are so perfectly matched, their battle ends up a draw, and neither destroys the other.”

“You’re still losing,” Kaiba insisted, beginning to regain his composure.

“No,” I told him in a matter of fact way, “I’m not. Activate ‘Quick Summon’, tributing my ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ and my ‘Decoy Dragon’ to summon my most powerful monster.”

My two dragons disappeared, and were replaced by another dragon with a long, slender body covered in golden plates, like armor, its wings spread wide as it roared at the holographic sky.

“Behold,” I announced, “my Soul, the ‘Felgrand Dragon’ (ATK: 2800)!”

Kaiba laughed, “I gave you three ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragons’ and you dare to call that your most powerful monster?”

“It is my most powerful monster,” I insisted, “because if there’s one thing you taught me it’s to be ruthless, and this monster is the most ruthless thing you’ve ever seen. ‘Felgrand Dragon’, attack the ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’!”

My dragon charged golden light in its throat, as the flashing on my statue’s chest intensified again, and even more stoned rose up into the air.

“‘Blue-Eyes’,” Kaiba said, chuckling slightly in the condescending way that he does, “destroy that pathetic excuse for a dragon, Burst Stream!”

‘Felgrand Dragon’ breathed his golden beam, and ‘Blue-Eyes’ breathed his white beam. The latter overpowered the former rather easily, and my dragon was blown away (2200 -> 2000).

“I warned you,” Kaiba said, “would you care to try again?”

I think I genuinely surprised him when I said, “Actually, I think I will. I reveal ‘Rope of Life’, discarding my entire hand to revive my monster with an additional eight hundred Attack, before my Battle Phase ends.”

A glowing rope appeared and reached into my Graveyard, pulling from it a glowing shape which blossomed out and became my dragon, which roared even more fiercely than before (ATK: 2800 -> 3600).

Kaiba scowled. He knew what was coming. “You won’t defeat me so easily,” he said. “Reveal ‘Gift of the Mystical Elf’, increasing my Life Points by three hundred for every monster on the field (3600 -> 4200).”

“It doesn’t matter,” I told him, “because when ‘Felgrand Dragon’ is summoned from the Graveyard, his Attack increases by two hundred times the Level of the highest Level monster in my Graveyard. Like my Level Ten ‘Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon’ destroyed by your ‘Crush Card’.”

My dragon spread his wings to their full width and rose into the holographic sky (ATK: 3600 -> 5600).

“I declare my fourth attack,” I said, as my monster summoned up his attack again, even brighter than before.

“You can’t,” Kaiba protested, his eyes filling with disbelief, truly surprised by the turn of events.

“Oh yes I can,” I replied, the stone in the chest of the statue behind me finally glowing solid blue. Even more of the large stones rose up above our heads, and suddenly the entire sky above us was filled with them. “With my fourth attack, the full power of my statue activates. Now, whenever one of my monsters battles one of yours, the guardian aids it in battle, cutting the Attack of your monster by the original Attack of mine.”

Stones wreathed in blue light fell from the sky, surrounding the ‘Blue-Eyes White Dragon’ and boxing it in. It looked around, and the finally looked up, just in time to see my dragon appear overhead. It didn’t have time to react (ATK: 3000 -> 200), and my ‘Felgrand Dragon’ blasted it apart. Light exploded outward, washing over my opponent. There was a bright flash, and Kaiba’s Life Points were stripped away. When the light faded, the holographic field around us had faded. We were back in Kaiba’s office, with Kaiba standing dumbstruck behind his desk.

“So are you still glad that you broadcast our duel over the internet?” I asked. “If a loss to you would damage my reputation, what do you think a loss to me will do to yours?”

“I-I lost,” Kaiba stammered, “to you.”

“You know, Kaiba,” I told him, my expression darkening as I watched sweat form on my mentor’s brow as he grew more and more panicked, “I came here believing that you were superior to me, that you were the superior Duelist, and the superior man, and that maybe, maybe, I’d reached a point where I might be worthy of being called your equal, but now I understand the truth. Now I understand that I’m superior to you.”

I looked down at my deck, and on a whim, I fanned out all of my cards, and I removed the three 'Blue-Eyes' that Kaiba had given to me. I barely even had to think about it. I tossed the three cards to the floor, and I laughed and said, "In fact, I've grown so much that, unlike you, I don't need these anymore."

I turned defiantly and strode from Kaiba’s office, “Think about that tomorrow while you try to salvage your reputation.”

I walked through the darkened upstairs reception area, rode the elevator to the ground floor, crossed the lobby, and stepped outside, leaving Kaiba Corporation, and everyone associated with it, behind, never to look back.

Card of the Day:
Ultimate Clash
Played by: Lawrence

This is one of those cards that the anime/manga throws at us sometimes, that is just overblown and ridiculous, and that's what made it so fun to create. Without this ridiculous card, Lawrence never would have accomplished what he did in this chapter, and the duel wouldn't have been nearly as exciting.

Original Cards in This Chapter:


Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment