Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Yu-Gi-Oh! Epic Battles #4: Yuma Tsukumo vs. The Other Yugi Part Three

Let's be fair to Yuma here: he's been fighting the "combat form" Yugi without going into his combat form, the form achieved through the power of Zexal. But to be fair to Yugi, he has been fighting at a greater than usual disadvantage, since he started out not understanding the nature of Yuma's Number monsters. It is in this chapter that things finally begin to equalize.



Duel Four

Yuma vs. Yugi


"Alright 'Leviathan Dragon'," Yuma said excitedly, clenching his fist, "this monster we can handle. Let's take it out!"

He drew, feeling the upside of his opponent's 'Card of Sanctity' now.

"I equip my monster with 'Xyz Unit'," Yuma declared, an Overlay Unit swirling around the dragon, which until now had had none. "This card," Yuma explained, "acts like an Overlay Unit for my monster. I remove it to increase my monster's Attack!"

'Leviathan Dragon' ate the Overlay Unit and grew stronger (2000 -> 2500).

"And because my monster can't be destroyed by yours," Yuma announced, "he can K.O. your monster without being K.O.'d himself! Attack with Shock Stream!"

The dragon attacked, overpowering the wizard, vaporizing it in an instant, but inflicting no damage to the opponent.

"Oh yeah," Yuma said, "I set two cards. Now that's the power of a Number!"

Yuma was happy. His combo had succeeded, but Astral wasn't so naive. Their opponent hadn't even so much as flinched during Yuma's attack, and that made Astral wary. He became even more so in the very next moment when the mysterious young man went so far as to laugh, just twice under his breath.

"I'll admit," he said, "your Number Monster really did surprise me, but after our last two exchanges, I know enough about Number Monsters that defeating one isn't a problem anymore. After all, you're not the only one who can revive a monster."

He drew, "I play 'Monster Reborn' to revive my 'Dark Magician', and I combo with 'Magical Dimension'. Because I control a Spellcaster, this card allows me to tribute a monster to summon a second Spellcaster, and then automatically destroy one monster on the field, no matter how strong. I tribute 'Gamma the Magnet Warrior' to summon the 'Dark Magician Girl'!"

'Dark Magician' reappeared in a swirl of light, his arms crossed, his face smug. A metal box with a coffin suspended in it appeared beside him. 'Beta' fell into the coffin, and it closed. A moment later, the coffin opened and a female wizard appeared. She had long blond hair and wore a pink dress and witch's hat, and carried a wand the length of her arm (ATK: 2000). The two Spellcasters crossed wand and staff and unleashed a beam of magic light that cut right through 'Number 17', returning it to the Graveyard.

"I attack," the young man declared, "with Dark Magic Attack!"

The wizard once again released an orb of light from his staff. It hit Yuma and exploded. Unlike the young man, Yuma flinched (3300 -> 800).

"Now let's see if you're tanacious enough to survive another finshing blow," the young man said. "My 'Dark Magician Girl' attacks with Dark Burning!"

The sorceress unleashed a smaller, pink version of the other Spellcaster's attack. It was more than strong enough to end the duel. Desperately Yuma activated his face-down, "I reveal 'Pixie Gong'! This let's me summon 'Joe the Fairy' from my deck to defend me!"

A middle-aged-looking pixie wearing a military uniform appeared between Yuma and the sorceress, absorbing the attack. While he didn't survive, he allowed Yuma to.

"Oh no," Yuma cried, "I'm really out of monsters now, and I don't have any way to summon 'Leviathan Dragon' back from the Graveyard again!"

"Yuma," Astral said, annoyed, "you shouldn't give away our weaknesses."

"Oh, sorry," Yuma replied, becoming steely-faced again. It lasted only a moment before his face was crossed by a wide, exuberant grin, "Oh well, if I can't summon 'Number 17', I'll just summon another Number Monster."

"So you have more than one of those Numbers," the young Duelist commented, but still he didn't seem surprised. He could read Yuma so well that even the famously unobservant Yuma was beginnning to notice it, as Astral had long ago.

"That's right, and even though I don't know how, I'm gonna summon my best one this turn. Time to high-five the sky!"

He drew, "I summon 'Gagaga Magician', and equip him with the Spell card 'Wonder Wand'!"

A sorcerer like a 'Dark Magician' in more modern-looking robes appeared, wearing a face mask, and a chain belt with eight small gems on it, the chain wrapping his torso, carrying the 'Wonder Wand' in one hand.

"And," Yuma continued, "I send my magician and his wand to the Graveyard to draw two cards!"

Yuma drew again, and he was unable to contain his excitement.

"Oh yeah!" Yuma cried. "I play 'Gagagarevenge'! This lets me summon 'Gagaga Magician' back to the field!"

A magic show coffin appeared and collapsed apart, revealing the 'Gagaga Magician' inside, his hands resting casually behind his back, his posture nonchalant.

"This," Yuma explained, "let's me Special Summon 'Gagaga Child' and increase it's Level to match the 'Magician''s Level!"

A young girl dressed similarly to the 'Magician' appeared beside him, her expression as uncaring as the 'Magician''s stance.

"I use my monsters," Yuma declared, "to create the Overlay Network once again."

The swirling galaxy reformed overhead, and the two monsters turned to light and disappeared inside.

"I overlay 'Gagaga Magician' and 'Gagaga Child'," Yuma announced, a form like a sword with wings emerging from the galaxy and unfolding into a warrior in white and gold armor and white, armored wings, carrying a sword in each hand. Where the number seventeen on 'Leviathan Dragon' had been relatively hard to see, this new monster wore its number proudly on its shoulder pauldron, two Overlay Units orbting it, "to summon 'Number 39: Utopia' (ATK: 2500)!

"But that's not all," Yuma continued. "Let's see if you stay so calm when you see this. I build the Overlay Network with myself and Astral!"

Yuma and Astral glowed red and blue respectively and rose into the sky, swirling around each other.

"When two distant hearts become one," Astral declared, "they reveal a great power!"

The two merged together. Yuma was surrounded by a golden aura and his hair and his left iris turned gold. His body was wrapped in a white jumpsuit covered in red body armor.

"Behold our power," the two said as one, "the miraculous power of Zexal!"

They radiated power, causing the young man's clothes to flutter in the wind that they were producing, but still he stood strong. Yuma and Astral could barely see a bead of sweat on his brow.

"And now," Yuma declared, "with less than one thousand Life, I rebuild the Overlay Network," the number on 'Utopia''s shoulder burned red, and he was encased in gray, black and gold armor that replaced the white and gold armor of his previous form, "overlaying 'Utopia' with his Overlay Units to summon 'Chaos Number 39: Utopia Ray'! I remove all three of his Overlay Units to reduce your monster's Attack by three thousand, and to increase my monster's Attack by fifteen hundred, Overlay Charge!"

Energy pulsed from the new monster, and the 'Dark Magician' was drained of its strength. Two more arms reached up from 'Utopia Ray''s back, holding a third, larger sword (ATK: 2500 -> 4000).

"I attack and finish this duel," Yuma and Astral declared together, their monsters swinging their swords all as one, "Rising Sun Chaos Slash!"

Energy blades errupted from the three swords, cutting a path toward the wizard, but at the last moment the 'Dark Magician' and 'Dark Magician Girl' were encased in two human-sized silk top hats, which shuffled rappidly with each other and then split into four. 'Utopia''s attack hit one hat, but there was nothing inside.

"I reveal," the young man said, as calm as ever, "my 'Magical Hats', hiding my monsters inside."

The mysterious young man was still smiling smugly, still unflinching, standing behind his hats. Yuma and Astral were completely taken aback. They'd never seen someone stand against an attack so fierce and treat it as if it meant so little. They recoved quickly, though, their monster's Attack returning to normal.

"Impressive," the two said together, "I can't do anything more against you, at least right now. I end my turn."

No comments:

Post a Comment