Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Yu-Gi-Oh! Epic Battles #4: Yuma Tsukumo vs. The Other Yugi Part Two

The duel continues, and it soon becomes clear to pretty much everyone except Yuma just how in control Yugi is, even if he is having to learn the rules of Yuma's cards on the fly. Will Yuma even stand a chance once Yugi has had time to fully analyze how they work?



Duel Four

Yuma vs. Yugi



The mysterious young man drew a card, "Well, it looks like you and I think alike, because we set the same card. I reveal my own 'Rock Bombardment'."

He took his deck out of his Duel Disk and actually fanned out his entire deck with just one hand, chose a card, and discarded it. A magnet-themed warrior appeared in the air above Yuma, prepared to strike.

"I discard 'Beta the Magnet Warrior'," the young man explained as he shuffled and replaced his deck, "to deal you five hundred damage right back."

The magnet monster attacked Yuma (3800 -> 3300) and then crumbled just as Yuma's monster had.

"Now that 'Beta' is out of my deck," the young man explained, "and within my reach, I play 'Dark Factory of Mass Production' to return it and 'Alpha' in the Graveyard to my hand."

The two monsters slid free of the Graveyard, and the young man took them, flourishing the cards before selecting a third card from his hand and sending all three to the Graveyard at once.

"Now," he explained, "I send 'Alpha', 'Beta', and 'Gamma', the Magnet Warriors, from my hand to the Graveyard to form," three magnet monsters appeared, separating into base components and them reforming into a mechanical-looking, tall, slender swordsman with wings, and curved horns upon his head, "'Valkyrion, the Magna Warrior', one of the most powerful Rock monsters in the game (ATK: 3500)!"

As the Attack of the monster was displayed holographically above the field, Yuma couldn't help but say to himself, "Yeah it is."

He was in awe of the monster that had appeared before him, but he struggled to hold onto his cool. 'Number 17' is a Number Monster, he thought, he'll survive the attack, and I'll figure something out next turn.

Astral, however, wasn't so sure. "Be careful, Yuma," he warned, "as strong as that monster is, I have a feeling that our opponent has more planned for it this turn. This feels like a finishing move."

"Finishing move?" Yuma wondered, but he didn't have to wonder long, because the mysterious young man was, in fact, not finished.

"Next," the young man said, "I play a Spell card, 'Shield Bash', a card which combines the Attack and Defense of a Rock monster for one turn, giving my monster more than enough power to defeat you right now."

The 'Magna Warrior' pulsed once with energy, and its strength climbed (3500 -> 7350).

"My monster attacks," the young man declared, and 'Valkyrion' swung his sword, unleashing a wave of energy that passed over 'Number 17', exploding on impact, and carrying on toward Yuma.

"Quickly, Yuma," Astral called, "your face-down card."

A stunned Yuma came out of his stupor at the prodding of his friend, just in time to trigger his set card to activate, "Oh, right, I reveal 'Impenetrable Attack', lowering damage from your attack to zero!"

The excess of 'Valkyrion''s attack hit a barrier and died out. The smoke from the explosion of the attack cleared, and the young man was visibly surpised to see that not only Yuma, but his dragon, had survived the attack.

"And because my monster is a Number," Yuma explained, his surprise turning to pride, "it can only be destroyed in battle by another Number, so he makes it as well!"

"Impressive," the young man said, genuinly, "I didn't give you enough credit. I thought I could end this duel all at once, right here and now, but I was wrong. I end my turn. Let's see if you can surprise me again."

The young man crossed his arms. Yuma drew, but even with it's Attack back to normal, Yuma had nothing in his hand that could defeat the Magnet Monster.

If I remove 'Leviathan Dragon''s other Overlay Unit, it will still only have three thousand Attack, not nearly enough to defeat his 'Valkyrion', but he doesn't seem to know what a Number is, so that means he probably doesn't have one.

"Yuma," Astral began, "you must-."

"I know," Yuma interjected. "I change 'Number 17' to defense mode and set a card, ending my turn."

'Leviathan Dragon' wrapped his wings around himself, and another face-down card appeared at Yuma's feet. Astral looked down at his young friend, happy that he was finally taking the duel seriously.

I just hope, Astral thought, that our defense holds up. If it fails and our opponent has another move like the last one prepared, we won't stand a chance.

"In that case," the mysterious young man said, drawing again, "I think it's time I found out just how resilient your 'Number Monster' actually is."

He smiled confidently, and Astral was taken aback. He was enjoying the challenge. He was fighting a monster that he didn't know and didn't understand, in a duel the nature of which he didn't comprehend, and he was actually enjoying himself.

Just who is our opponent? Astral wondered as the young man chose a card from his hand.

"I play," the mysterious young man declared, "the Spell card 'Card of Sanctity'. We each draw until we hold six cards in our hand."

"What? We draw how many cards?" Yuma asked, but the young man drew his cards, and so Yuma did too.

"Now," the young man declared, "I separate my 'Valkyrion the Magna Warrior'," the conbination monster separated into his base components, the three smaller 'Magnet Warriors', "and I tribute 'Alpha the Magnet Warrior' and 'Beta the Magnet Warrior' to summon," two of the warriors were replaced by a sorcerer in purple robes and a purple hood, carrying a green staff with a crystal in the tip, "the 'Dark Magician'!"

Yuma actually took a step back, "Th-that's one of the legendary monsters!"

The young man didn't seem to notice Yuma's reaction, instead simply continuing on with his turn. "Next," he announced, "I play the Spell card 'Thousand Knives'."

The sorcerer threw a knife, which multiplied in the air, becoming one thousand, which all struck the 'Leviathan Dragon' as one. It died with an anguished roar and faded from the field.

"My 'Dark Magician' attacks directly," the young man declared, "Dark Magic Attack!"

'Dark Magician' summoned a swirling orb of green light to his staff, and slung it right at Yuma.

"Quick!" Astral exclaimed.

"I reveal," Yuma announced, "my 'Puzzle Reborn'. Because one monster, and only one, was destroyed, this Trap summons it back to the field, in defense mode!"

'Number 17' appeared again, just in time to absorb the wizard's attack. It roared defiantly. The young man only continued to smile, and Astral knew why. Yuma might still control a Number, but now the young man knew how to beat one.

"In that case," the young man said, "I set a card, and I end my turn."

No comments:

Post a Comment