Sunday, September 27, 2015

Digimon Adventure ND Book Two: The Terror of Tyranterramon - Chapter Nineteen

And finally this book, and its characters' long battle with Tyranterramon, resolves. We get to see Protectormon in action, meet him, and learn from him a few things about the history of this world that we didn't before (well, I mean that you didn't before. I knew because I made them up). We learn why Tyranterramon was sealed away rather than killed all those centuries ago, and we learn about the origins of the giant baddie, and why he was the way he was. We also learn a little bit about what is next for the Digital World, and for our heroes. Overall a pretty good climax and resolution if I do say so myself. Repeatedly. To anyone willing to listen.

Next up are two more Specials, set in the real world, after all of this. They probably won't begin right away. I'm not sure when they will, really. At some point there will also be another book or two, provided that I ever finish them. So we'll see.



Chapter Nineteen

The Prophesy Fulfilled


Tyranterramon ran after InfernoKnightmon, punching left and right, slinging energy from his fists that hit InfernoKnightmon dead on. He was thrown sprawling through the air.

“No,” I said under my breath. “We just need a little more time!”

“Leave it to us!” said the now conscious Mechmon. He and the other Child Digimon, including Coltmon and Ponymon who had regained their Child Forms, ran forward and began attacking Tyranterramon from below, creating a distraction. Tyranterramon wouldn’t die in the face of their attacks, but because they were aiming for his wounds, they were hurting him. He left InfernoKnightmon alone and focused on destroying the much smaller, very elusive foes. It wasn’t long before InfernoKnightmon managed to get back to his feet.

"Guys," I said, "I think I know who the two Digimon are! Now that I know, we can plan on how to bring Protectormon back!"

“We can’t plan out how to summon a Digimon from the dead,” said Jeremy. “It will just have to come naturally, like Digivolving to the Perfect Level.”

"Besides," said Jen, "just knowing who they are might be enough to bring them to us anyway. Who knows with this place."

"You don't get it," I began, but I was distracted as Tyranterramon swung his hand, held flat, so hard that the gust of wind that the motion created assaulted the Child Digimon and sent them sprawling. He turned back to my Digimon

No! InfernoKnightmon! Tyranterramon swung, but his fist was deflected at the last second by a glowing dome of pure energy that surrounded my Digimon. It was just like the one projected by the Guardians when they were trying to summon the Protector. I looked around at the others. Their Crests were glowing white. I looked down. My Crests were glowing as well. The Guardian Digichips started to glow too.

"Oh," said Jen, "I get it now." She held up her Digivice, combined with her Digiplayer, and inserted her Crest and her Guardian Digichip. She aimed the Digivice screen at InfernoKnightmon, as Tyranterramon stepped back and waited expectantly. I followed Jen's lead, merging my two Crests once again to do so. After a second the others lit up with realization, and followed suit. Once all of our Digivices were raised, I called out, "Upload Legacy Code!"

Strands of fractal code emerged from our Digivices, merging together into one huge code which hung in the air above our heads. It poured into InfernoKnightmon, and there was a flash of light second only to the sun. The light began to fade, and when all I saw in the light’s center was InfernoKnightmon’s silhouette, I thought that we’d failed. Then, while the light still lingered, Tyranterramon punched at the figure’s head, and the figure reached up his one hand and stopped Tyranterramon’s attack dead, completely without effort. The light faded completely, and finally I could see the details of the figure. It looked like InfernoKnightmon, but in golden metallic armor decorated with silver trim and engravings. In his right hand he carried a decorated golden sword. In his left hand he carried a decorated, golden shield. He wore a woven metal cape.

I smiled, I was right!

The newly arrived Digimon pushed on Tyranterramon’s fist, knocking him off balance. “Finally,” the Digimon said, “I have returned! I remember it all. Everything that happened before when I was Protectormon the first time, and everything that happened since then with the humans. I am the Sovereign, the Core Saver, and I’m so much more. I am Protectormon!”

“It’s about time you showed up,” said Tyranterramon. “The only reason that I allowed these pathetic humans to live so long was because I was hoping against all hope that they would figure out how to revive you. I never would have guessed though that you would have hidden the bulk of your data in two of their Digimon pets.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t see the resemblance,” said Protectormon. “InfernoKnightmon and I look a lot alike.”

“I guess I did notice some similarities,” Tyranterramon replied thoughtfully, “but I wrote them off as coincidence. If anything like this ever happens again, I’ll be sure to pay better attention.”

“You won’t get the chance,” said Protectormon. “Tyranterramon, I was foolish to think that you would change. This time, I’m putting you down.”

Tyranterramon readied himself, “We’ll see.”

The two Digimon faced each other, sizing each other up. I can’t believe this, I thought. I was right! InfernoKnightmon was the key. The key to restoring Protectormon was right under our noses this entire time!

That’s when it began. The two Digimon lunged at each other. Tyranterramon punched, hitting Protectormon in the face. He was thrown through the air, but he recovered quickly, unscathed.

“You’re as strong as ever, Tyranterramon,” said Protectormon, “and in the past, you would have defeated me, but this world that you have wronged cries out for your defeat, and the Digital Cores within you call out to me. My return has given this world itself new hope, and its making you weak.” He swung his sword and called, “Sword of the Protector!” An energy wave flew from the edge of his blade, straight toward the foe. Tyranterramon crossed his arms, catching the attack against them, holding it at bay until it dissipated on its own. Then he threw his arms open wide and cried out to the sky. Protectormon attacked again, nearly pushing Tyranterramon over the crater’s edge.

Tyranterramon wound up and called, “Burning Tyrant-Fist!” He punched, but Protectormon seemed to disappear and the attack missed.

“Tyranterramon,” said Protectormon, “you were given a chance for redemption, and you turned it down. You wish to destroy all worlds to further your own selfish desire to rule with ultimate power and authority. For the sake of every living thing everywhere, you must be destroyed.”

Protectormon raised his blade. It glowed, energy running across it, increasing its length. He raised the sword over his head and then swung it down, calling, “Blade of the Saver!” The mighty blade passed through Tyranterramon from head to toe. At first he seemed fine, but then he split in half and turned to digital dust. It was over.

My Digivice and Digiplayer came online, and a beam projected from them, scanning the data of my fallen foe. A Digichip was created from that data. It fell into my outstretched hand.

In the place where Tyranterramon had been only moments before there appeared four different colored orbs that shot off in four different directions.

“The Digital Cores will be restored,” said Protectormon, “along with the Digital World. Things will soon be what they once were.”

My Digimon landed at me side, and we stood together, staring off into the clearing horizon.


I sat on a rock overlooking the crater, the massive scar that Tyranterramon’s most devastating attack had forever left on this continent. But even though I was aware that the crater was there, it was the sky that held my interest. It was clear, when it hadn’t been for what seemed like so long. I still wasn’t used to it. The others were resting. Even with a full two days behind the battle, we still felt the need to recover. But I couldn’t rest. Not for the first time since Protectormon’s appearance, his last words before de-Digivolving echoed in my mind. I went over that conversation again in my head:


“So what now?” I asked.

“Now you wait,” Protectormon replied. “The data from the cores has already begun to re-establish itself. This world will soon begin to heal. Though the immediate effects of that process will be extreme, the complete process will take a long time.”

“How long?” asked Jeremy.

“I honestly don’t know,” Protectormon answered.

"I thought you were some kind of God or something," I said, "shouldn't you know everything?"

"I am like a God to the Digimon," Protectormon answered, "because I am the Sovereign that they remember from their myths and legends, but I am the second Sovereign of this world. Back in the beginning, too long ago for history to remember, he was the one who made the Crests and Digiplayers, and the Digicomp and Digicalculator. He was the one who placed the Azulong Crystal and foresaw the coming of Manipulamon.

"He was the one who chose the six of you, but also foresaw that some of you would come to this world at different times. He likely foresaw what would happen today, as well as things still yet to occur. That Digimon was something like my father. He created me from his own data to succeed him, and he created Tyranterramon, who at the time went by a different name, from that same data to be my adviser, to stand above this world and look over it, and make sure it remained safe. But unknowingly his ambition ended up in Tyranterramon, and it made him lust for power. He rebelled against me and my Guardians. That's why I hoped that he could come to see the error of his ways. He was effectively my brother."

He looked me in the eyes, "The previous Sovereign would know how long it would take this world to rebuild itself fully, but I am not my father, or my former self, if you prefer. I must operate on my best guess, as I have, unfortunately, had to do too many times before, and hope for the best."

“What if someone else like Tyranterramon emerges,” I asked, “especially before this world heals? Can we call on you again?”

“Once, maybe twice, but them my data will disappear for good.”

“What about your memories?”

“The nature of the process used to restore me will take most of if not all of my memories away when I return to my earlier forms. But soon my power and experience will no longer be needed. The restoration of the Cores leaves this world's development open to suggestion from a being as powerful as me. I have already put into motion the birth of new Guardians. One of them, their leader, will be comparable to me in strength. Once they are born, this world will be forever safe and you will be free to return to your lives.”

I nodded. I wasn’t sure how I felt about that, but I knew Protectormon, and I knew that his judgment was to be trusted.

“Why did you choose us,” I asked, “when you were the other you, I mean, if you remember? And why did you choose the Digimon that you chose to be our partners?”

“I don't remember every detail of my former life," Protectormon told us, "but I do remember this. I chose you for the reasons that the Digicomp told you. I saw that you exhibited traits that were right for partnership with the Neo Crests. You were beyond perfect. You had a strength of character that few modern humans possess, and your prior bond meant that you would already know how to work well together. It seemed to me that this was your destiny. As for your Digimon, I did nothing to choose them specifically. It was this world itself which led your Digimon to take the forms that were best suited for you.”

“So it really was us then,” I said.

“Yes,” said Protectormon. "Your Digimon partners saved this world, but without you none of it would have been possible. You and your Digimon were the only ones who could have accomplished what you did.”


That’s when he’d changed back. Snakemon and BlackMainemon were still asleep, regaining their strength. Becoming something so powerful had taken a lot out of them. I sat there alone running over the Great Protector’s words until the sun had set and the others were fast asleep. With a deep sigh I turned in for the night.


I woke up the next morning, expecting to still feel out of place as I had since the end of the battle. But today the feeling had finally dissolved. I took a deep breath, sat up to face my already conscious allies and said, “We’ve been sulking long enough. Time to go home.”

“I wasn’t sulking,” said Sarah. “We kicked Tyranterramon’s but. I was celebrating. I was just to worn out to do a very good job of it.”

“Yeah,” said Jen, “come on. John, only you could sulk right after our greatest victory.”

“I wasn’t sulking either,” I said. “I was being profound.”

“Yeah right.”

I stood up and rolled up my bed mat, fastening it to my Gekomon created pack. The others did the same, and within thirty minutes, we were on our way. It wasn’t long before Snakemon and BlackMainemon Digivolved to their Child forms, and everything was right again. Everything was just as it should be. Just as I’d come to expect it to be.

“Is it really okay for you to come back with us?” Amanda asked her Digimon. The Digimon had told us earlier that they would be coming back to the real world with us.

“I wouldn’t have said it was if it wasn’t true,” said Chickomon. “Our place is with you humans, no matter where you go. Besides, I’m looking forward to seeing more of what life is like in your world.”

“Don’t worry,” said Coltmon, “once we get back to Earth we’ll stay under the radar. We can get even smaller than our Baby II forms if we need to.”

“Good,” I said, “because if anyone saw you they’d totally freak, especially if they found out you could talk.”

“Where are we supposed to be going?” asked Sarah.

“Home,” I said.

“Duh,” she replied. “I meant within this world, where are we going?”

“The Desert Tower of course. It’s the only place in this world where we can open a Digiport to the real world.”

“But the Tower was destroyed,” said Sarah.

“Ah,” I said, “but the place wasn’t.”

“Are you sure we can still open a Port from there?” Jen asked.

“Not at all,” I answered, “but I figure it’s worth a try.”


We arrived at the former site of Desert Tower, and the current site of the Desert Ruins, by mid day the next day. I had spent the last day pretending to be my normal cheerful self, but in truth I was scared. As painful as my time in this world had often been, I’d come to think of it as my home. This place offered adventure and excitement the likes of which my world never would, and part of me wanted to stay. I knew that it was a good bet that by the time a new threat arose, we wouldn’t be needed anymore.

As if reading my mind, Serpentmon, who was draped over my shoulders, said, “Don’t worry John. This world will always be here. You can always come back just for the fun of it.”

I nodded. I hadn’t thought of that. For all his aloofness, Serpentmon was a wise person sometimes.

I turned to my friends and said, “This is it, our work here is finally done. We’ve fought and we’ve suffered, but it was all worth it because we made a real difference. And even though school and growing up to getting jobs may not sound very exciting after what we’ve been through, it’s time for us to move on with our lives. So let’s do what we do. Let’s press forward toward our goal.” I turned to face the torn scattered rubble of the tower, raised my Digivice and said, “One more time, Digiport open!”

No comments:

Post a Comment