Sunday, September 20, 2015

Digimon Adventure ND Book Two: The Terror of Tyranterramon - Chapter Eighteen

Things are coming to a close. InfernoKnightmon is the only heroic Digimon still standing, he seems able to hold his own against Tyranterramon, even if one hit will take him out of the fight, and meanwhile the kids are getting the hang of their new abilities. I tried to make the build to the climax palpable, and I think I pulled it off fairly well. Oh, and TechAngemon and MechAngewomon finally get to do something useful! Hurray!

There is one more chapter after this, consisting of the climax and the resolution. I don't like ending on an odd number like Nineteen, but with merging some chapters together it just ended up that way. Yuck.



Chapter Eighteen

DNA Digivolution Revisited;
InfernoKnightmon’s Power Grows




MechAngemon and TechAngewomon shot straight at Tyranterramon. To my Digimon I said, “Let’s kick things up a notch. Initiate DNA Digivolution!” I was surprised when my two Crests merged into one, the face of which depicted a sort of combination of the spiked Crest of Friendship and the spiny sun that was the Crest of Courage. Light poured from this combination Crest and washed over my two Digimon.

“MetalDragonterramon…”

“Knighthramon…”

“…DNA Digivolve to…”

“InfernoKnightmon!”

My Digimon flapped his dragonic wings, just as the angels were hit and sent flying right past him. He swung his sword, sending an energy blade flying straight at his enemy’s face. Tyranterramon deflected it, but InfernoKnightmon was ready. He slid to the side, circling his foe, firing shot after shot from his cannon. He raised his cannon up over his head and summoned massive amount of power into it, forming an immense ball of light. He fired, just as Tyranterramon struck with his burning fist. The two attacks met in a blaze of power that sent InfernoKnightmon plummeting to the ground. He stood up and shook himself off, reasonably unharmed.

“Even borrowing power from us,” I said, “they aren’t strong enough to hurt him. He's at a whole other level.”

“Then let’s power them up,” said Jen.

“Try this out,” said Sarah.

The two of them inserted the chips left to them by the Guardians into their Digiplayers and said, “Upload Digichip!”

MechAngemon’s sword glowed purple, and he swung it, calling, “Heart of the Forest!” A massive wave of purple light erupted from the edge of his blade.

TechAngewomon aimed an empty crossbow at Tyranterramon and called, “Forbidden Temptation!” A more intense version of Rosemon’s killing attack burst from the barrel of her weapon. The two attacks converged, growing in strength, and hit their mark. Tyranterramon had to throw his arms up over his face to save himself from serious harm.

“My turn,” I said. I plugged Millenniummon’s chip into my Digiplayer and called, “Upload Digichip!” InfernoKnightmon took aim with his cannon and called, “Dimension Destroyer!”

A wave of energy so strong that it nearly tore the sky apart hit Tyranterramon in his exposed torso. He fell to one knee, hurt and stunned.

“One more time,” said InfernoKnightmon. “Dimension Destroyer!” He fired again and Tyranterramon collapsed under the force of the attack.

Come on, I urged silently, let that be it. Let it be over.

But before my eyes, Tyranterramon rose to his feet with a groan. He seemed hurt, but still far from defeated. He laughed, “I have to congratulate you three. Those last attacks actually tickled!” He looked down at us humans, ignoring our Digimon, “Surrender whelps. I’ve grown tired of this game. Give in now and I promise to make your deaths relatively painless.”

“We’ll never give up,” I said, shaking my head disbelievingly. “We’ve said it enough times that I thought it would have gotten through to you by now. We. Will. Not. Surrender. You, Tyranterramon, are the opposite of everything we believe in. It’s our nature to oppose you.”

“If you win,” said Jen, “billions of people in our world and every Digimon in this world will die. We’re the only thing standing between them and their fate. We have to fight.”

Sarah yelled up at him, “We won’t let our friends and our families down!”

Jen’s and Sarah’s Crests emerged from their tags. Jen and Sarah stood back to back, connecting Sarah’s Digivice with Jen’s Digiplayer and holding the devices up above their heads. The Crests merged as mine had, and slid into the first slot in the Digiplayer, and Jen and Sarah declared as one, “Initiate DNA Digivolution!”

The angels rose up and hung in the air next to each other, their bodies glowing.

“MechAngemon…”

“TechAngewomon…”

“…DNA Digivolve to,” they merged, becoming a single tall mechanical humanoid figure with ten shining metal wings, as flexible as any real wings could ever be. He carried a staff with two stacked gears positioned at one end, and a blade attached to the other, “GeroAngemon!”

The new figure shone brightly as he rose into the air, leveling out above Tyranterramon’s head. He held out his staff and called, “Divine Array!” A ball of light appeared at the end of his staff, above the two gears, and he flung it at Tyranterramon’s feet. It blossomed out, forming a circular white array beneath Tyranterramon that held him frozen in place and seemed to weaken him.

GeroAngemon spun his staff, which glowed brightly, and called, “Celestial-Tech Staff!” He stopped his staff spinning abruptly and swung the bladed end. A wave of crackling light flew from the staff tip, hitting Tyranterramon in the chest. Tyranterramon cried out in pain and his fiery aura began to fade, but then it flared up, brighter than before, shattering the array at his feet. He punched, catching GeroAngemon in the chest. I heard the sound of crunching metal, and the mighty mechanical angel fell out of the sky.

Tyranterramon punched toward his latest foe, aiming to crush him, but he was stopped when his arm was slashed open by InfernoKnightmon’s burning sword. Tyranterramon screamed and grabbed his arm. He began swinging his fists wildly. InfernoKnightmon dodged one punch, two punches, but the third punch hit him dead on. He crumpled.

InfernoKnightmon and GeroAngemon stood up, sparks shooting from gaps in GeroAngemon’s armor. “This is ridiculous. We are two powerful DNA Digivolved Ultimate Level Digimon, and still we are no match for Tyranterramon.”

“Of course you aren’t,” said Tyranterramon. He aimed his wingtips at the Digimon and called, “Feather Shards!”

“Look out!” GeroAngemon cried. He threw InfernoKnightmon behind him, raised his palm and called, “Divine Array!” The circular array appeared, this time as a shield that vaporized the oncoming projectiles. He dropped his hand, and the array disappeared. GeroAngemon jumped up, slamming the geared end of his staff into Tyranterramon’s jaw. Then he flipped the staff over and swung his blade, but his weapon was caught and snapped in half like a twig.

“You really should stop doing that,” said Tyranterramon. He grabbed GeroAngemon by the head and threw him to the ground. He de-Digivolved to Baby II Level and fell unconscious.

“And then,” said Tyranterramon, “there was one.”

Dammit, I thought, this is bad. I backed away slowly, my eyes wide with fear. This is worse than it’s ever been. The Child Digimon are all down for the count, and right in the crossfire!

I turned to Jen and Sarah and said, “I’m going down there. I have to try and get the Digimon to safety.”

Before they could protest I dropped my shield and jumped on, gliding across the ground. I swerved expertly as I made my way to the first of my fallen friends, noting the location of each explosion above. The battle was still going on, and from the look of things, InfernoKnightmon was barely holding his own. It took me fifteen minutes to gather all five Digimon, but with some creativity I was able to carry all of them at once. I moved back up the cliff and into the forest where my friends were waiting. I noticed that Jeremy was finally awake.

“’Bout time you woke up,” I said, and I turned my attention back on the fight. Win or lose, this was going to be quite a battle.

I rose into the air, my aura flaring, my Crest glowing. InfernoKnightmon deflected one of Tyranterramon’s stronger attacks and, and the two faced each other, staring each other down. InfernoKnightmon summoned a massive energy orb into his cannon, and Tyranterramon wreathed his fist in a fiery aura. They struck, and their attacks met. There was a flash, and the two Digimon were forced apart.

I winced. It was strange to feel the same impacts that my Digimon felt. But I’d be fine. I knew that this power had its risks, but I was willing to take them if it meant giving us a chance at victory.

Both Digimon were physically very strong, but Tyranterramon had an advantage in size and weight. He punched. InfernoKnightmon crossed his arms, absorbing the impact. It sent him sliding backward through the air. Tyranterramon swung again, but just before his attack could hit, I shot toward my Digimon, slamming into him and throwing him out of the way. Tyranterramon mistimed his attack and the inertia threw him off balance. InfernoKnightmon saw his opportunity and took it. He and I flew past Tyranterramon, slashing with our swords, catching him in the sides of his face. He grasped his face and fell to his knees, crying out in pain.

“Enough!” cried Tyranterramon, rising to his feet. “Now you’ve really made me mad!” He focused, hard, and his aura grew massive, gaining width and height. He spread his wings, and with great effort rose into the air. I watched as he rose above the clouds.

“I know what he’s doing,” I said, “and it’s not good. We have to get out of here!” InfernoKnightmon and I turned and flew back toward the others. The others didn’t have time to get back into their Mekanorimon suites, so InfernoKnightmon and I grabbed them and carried them with us. I didn’t know how far we’d need to go, so I just kept flying until I heard Tyranterramon scream, “Obliterating Impact!” He dropped like a comet into the ground below him. There was a massive explosion and an even bigger shock wave. It knocked us clean out of the sky and leveled several miles of forest.

“W-We can’t beat something that can do that,” said Amanda. “Who could beat something that can do that?”

I bit my lip, thinking hard, Come on, Protectormon said in his Prophesy that he would be reborn. That means it’ll happen, as long as I can figure out who the two core Digimon are that possess the majority of Protectormon’s data! We have our Protectormon data in our Crests, and we have the Guardian Digichips which should also contain their portions of the data. Now we just need the two Digimon.

I thought back, remembering what the Guardians said about two Digimon who were destined to remain linked together no matter what, who would be linked to me. I remembered what MechAngemon and TechAngewomon had said when they'd unlocked the power of my Digimon to DNA Digivolve together, that they sensed potential in them, and it hit me. It was only a theory, but we had no choice but to try. Tyranterramon may have just plummeted to the earth, at breakneck speed and created a crater over two miles wide, but he wasn’t one to commit suicide. He would only launch such a massive attack if he knew he could survive the aftermath.

“John, look,” said Jeremy, pointing to the crater’s edge. There, rising slowly from deep within the crater, was Tyranterramon, floating on his own aura. Once her was level with the ground again, he stepped forward.

I’m out of time, I realized. Either my plan works, or it doesn’t. Tyranterramon was growing closer. I tried to raise my blade, but I was too hurt and too tired. Even if I was right, I had to tell the others what I was planning, and we had to try and figure out how to pull it off.

“InfernoKnightmon,” I said, “I can’t fight. Can you hold him off for a little while longer? I have a plan.”

“I’m not sure,” my Digimon said, straightening himself out, “but I can try.” He jumped into the air and sailed toward his foe, building energy in his cannon. He aimed and fired, calling, “Stati-Shot!”

InfernoKnightmon fired, after first dodging a barrage of punches, hitting Tyranterramon in the face. Tyranterramon lashed out, but InfernoKnightmon ducked and slashed Tyranterramon across the chest. Then InfernoKnightmon jumped up and spun, kicking Tyranterramon in the side of the head. Tyranterramon tried to grab my Digimon so that he could either crush or throw him, but InfernoKnightmon slid out of his foe's grip. He spun again, smacking the side of Tyranterramon's helm, right over his ear, with the flat of his sword, producing a loud, piercing sound.

Tyranterramon was stunned. InfernoKnightmon thrust the three claws that ringed his cannon, cutting Tyranterramon across the chest yet again. At first Tyranterramon stood there, motionless. Then his aura flared. Time was up. I looked to the others. I had an idea, but did I have the confidence to tell them? After all of the mistakes I'd made recently, did I have that much faith in myself? After all, if I was wrong, and we gave Protectormon's code to the wrong Digimon, we might not be able to get it back. Then again, I did believe in these two Digimon.

I have to go through with my idea, I told myself as InfernoKnightmon continued to struggle above me. We don't exactly have another choice. I just hope I got this right, because if this fails too, we really will be dead.

We were being forced once again to improvise, and like so many times since we'd come to this world, all we could do was take the chance and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment