Sunday, November 15, 2015

Digimon ND Special #3: A Threat from Our World - Chapter Three

The battle resumes, and our heroes actually do okay despite the fact that the enemy human has powers of his own that make things difficult. Does this mean that the fight is over? Ha, yeah right, things are about to get waaay worse.




Chapter Three

The Face-Off


My smaller-than-usual team, with Thompson in tow, made its way to the site of the last attack and waited for nightfall. A nine square block perimeter around the bar had been made off limits, thanks to the police, ensuring that no one would stumble upon the battle to come.

“Shouldn’t we be searching again?” Sarah asked.

“No,” I answered. “I saw our real opponent’s eyes. He’s not finished with us yet. He’ll be here to finish what he started.”

“Maybe we should get behind something,” said Thompson, his gun out, but lowered. “We’re exposed here in the street. He could sneak up on us and pick us off.”

“Never,” Mechmon said. He was standing completely still. “I have powerful sensors built into my body that can measure vibrations in the surface and air over a wide radius. It works best when I’m still, which, of course, I am.”

“And we have this,” I said, holding up the pocket-sized portable Digicomp. “Its not one hundred percent accurate in some regards, but it’s perfectly capable of detecting Digimon signatures, especially ones in motion. When they make their move, we’ll know.”

“Oh,” said Thompson, “okay then.”

It was less than twenty minutes before Mechmon spoke again. “I’m reading four figures incoming. They’re moving fast. South, eleven hundred meters.”

“I see ‘em,” I said as four Digimon signatures appeared in the handheld’s screen. I turned to the south, Thompson following my lead. The others did the same. I summoned my armor, but I waited to draw my sword, choosing to keep the Digicomp at the ready instead.

This is too easy, I thought. Something’s up.

“They’re gone!” Mechmon exclaimed. I checked my scanner. Sure enough, the figures were gone. Then…

“There they are,” I said. The blips had reappeared on my screen, this time about one and a third miles away, coming from the northeast. Now I was sure.

“Digicomp,” I asked, “can Myotismon or Bakemon create solid illusions?”

“No,” the Digicomp’s AI answered in its mechanical female voice.

“Forget the scanners,” I said. “The signals are false. Get ready for an ambush. Also, be aware that either there’s a fifth Digimon who can create solid illusions, or the Digidestined has powers too.”

“We should Digivolve to Perfect Level,” said Jeremy, “so we’re ready.” I nodded.

“I can’t let you do that!” came a wicked-sounding male voice, coming from above us. My team and I tried to summon the power from our Crests, but as we did, several small, translucent orbs fell from above us, surrounding the Crests. They seemed to disappear, but I could still feel them there, blocking the Crests’ powers. I looked up, even as I put away the Digicomp handheld and drew my sword, trying to get a look at the speaker.

“Where is he?” Amanda asked, her voice fearful.

“He’s on the roof of that building,” said Thompson, his weapon trained. “He sounded closer, but I can see him, he’s definitely up there.”

“Go Adult Level,” I commanded, and my team and I called out in unison, “Initiate Digivolution!”

“Serpentmon, Digivolve to,” he became the black dragon, “Dragonterramon!”

“BlackColtmon, Digivolve to,” he became a large, black, male horse with heavy-looking, oversized hooves, “BlackStaliamon!”

“Mechmon, Digivolve to,” he grew into a tall blue and chrome Gundam-like robot with taser guns for hands, “Mechamon!”

“Chickomon, Digivolve to,” he grew into a massive, full-sized brontosaurus with broad, strong phoenix wings and a collar of phoenix feathers around his long neck, just a few feet below his head, so large that he filled the street, “BrauntoPhoenixmon!”

“Ponymon, Digivolve to,” she became a beautiful brown horse with glistening fur, shining, metallic-looking hooves, and angelic, white-feathered wings, “Fillimon!”

“Get ready,” I said, holding my sword at the ready. “They’re coming.”

Almost as soon as I’d spoken, the three Bakemon flew out of one of the alleyways, their claws slashing wildly. Mechamon and Dragonterramon acted quickly, managing to repel the assault. The Bakemon circled around and disappeared into a different alleyway. They swung back around, executing another pass, but they were repelled yet again. They did so again and again, until finally I looked up and cried, “Enough! Show yourself!”

“Sorry,” came a voice, “but my master can’t allow himself to be bothered by the likes of you.”

I looked up into the eyes of the descending vampire, “He already allowed himself to be bothered, Myotismon. After all, he’s the one who sealed our ability to Digivolve.”

“Ah,” said Myotismon, “details.” He waved his hand, calling, “Crimson Lightning!” A wave of red light flew at me, but I dispersed it with my sword.

I shot into the air, past Myotismon. He turned to attack me again, but he found himself cut off by an intense flame and a bolt of blue lightning. He turned and found himself face to face with Dragonterramon, Mechamon and BlackStaliamon.

“Your opponents,” Dragonterramon declared, “are us!”


I flew straight up, skimming the side of the building, circling around to the other side so that when I came up over the edge, my target’s back would be to me. I planned to strike with minimal force, knocking him out without hurting him too badly. He was Human. Digimon get reborn. Humans don’t, as far as I know.

Before I could strike, however, the figure spoke, “You’ll have to do better than that if you want to sneak up on me.” He turned around, facing me. His face was even darker and more wicked than I remembered. His evil eyes were sharp. They flashed with intelligence.

“Call off your Digimon,” I commanded. My foe laughed. I took the opportunity to attack. I swung my sword, slinging a rolling wave of heat from the blade. My opponent opened his previously clenched left fist, and a ribbon-like talisman fell from within his sleeve, tied around his fingers. Symbols on the talisman glowed purple, and he whipped it at my attack, canceling it out.

“Come on,” my opponent said. “You can’t defeat me with non-lethal attacks. If you want to beat me, you’ll have to be willing to kill me.”

“Then I will,” I said, making up my mind then and there. This wasn't the first time that I'd made the decision to destroy another human. “You’re pure evil," I told him, "and if killing you is what it takes to end this, so be it.”

I raised my sword above my head. It glowed with a bright, yellow-white light. I swung my sword, releasing that light. It flew forward, tearing a trench through the roof below us. The light poured toward my opponent, but he raised his talisman at the last second, summoning up a barrier that survived just long enough to absorb the blow.

I summoned and slung light blade after light blade in rapid succession, swinging my sword wildly. My foe slashed with his talisman, matching my speed, deflecting every strike.

After several minutes, I had to stop and sheath my sword. The weight of my blade had torn my wound open again, and I was losing blood. Multiple explosions had filled the air with smoke, and I assumed that I would remain obscured long enough to forge a plan, but I had no such luck. There was a purple flash, and the smoke cleared instantly. Half a second later, my foe was in my face, swinging his talisman, prepared to strike a lethal blow. I dropped my shield and grabbed my sword with my left hand, drawing it just in time to deflect the enemy’s attack. I jumped back, out of his reach. It wasn’t much, but it was the best I could do.

My opponent laughed and turned to face me, twirling his talisman like a ribbon. He walked slowly toward me, and he began to whistle.

Wow, I thought, this guy’s even more messed up that I thought.


Back in the street below, Dragonterramon, Mechamon and BlackStaliamon were fighting Myotismon, while BrauntoPhoenixmon and Fillimon were busy fighting the Bakemon. BlackStaliamon and Dragonterramon ran interference while Mechamon counterattacked against the Vampiric enemy. They were holding their own, but they were also taking more damage than they were dealing. Meanwhile, the Bakemon were managing to avoid their enemies’ attacks, using their speed and unpredictability to make up for their lack of power.

“We have to end this,” said BrauntoPhoenixmon. “We have to help the others. They’re wearing down. They won’t last!”

“I know,” said Fillimon, launching a beam from her hooves, missing a Bakemon by mere inches, “but I just can’t seem to hit these things!”

Things seemed bleak, until something miraculous happened. A lightning quick blue blur, seeming to appear out of nowhere, struck the three Bakemon before they could even hope to react. They were left hanging in the air, stunned. BrauntoPhoenixmon took the opportunity to release a wave of fire, careful to avoid hitting the buildings around him, incinerating all three enemies at once. The blue blur slowed, and its identity became clear. It was Gaomon.

“Looks like we got here just in time,” came a voice. Jeremy, Amanda and Sarah turned to see Zald and Carmensita standing there behind them. Carmensita was holding her Digitama, her Digimon, the Dorumon named Maria, standing by her side.

“Zald,” Jeremy said, “you came.”

“Yeah,” Zald answered. “Thank Carmensita. She’s the one who reminded me that it’s important to fight for others.”

Carmensita smiled and blushed.

“Come on Carmen,” said Zald, “let’s get in on this.” Zald and Carmensita held up identical teal-colored Digivices. The Digivices activated, and Maria and Gaomon were encased in light.

“Gaomon, Digivolve to,” he grew into a massive, blue-furred husky with red gloves over his front paws, claws protruding from them. He wore a sort of red scarf around his neck. The scarf was animated, its ends acting like hands, “Gaogamon!”

“Dorumon, Digivolve to,” Maria grew larger until she was just under Gaogamon’s size, with wicked claws and full-sized black wings, “Dorugamon!”

The two new Digimon charged. Gaogamon stopped firmly in front of Myotismon and called, “Spiral Blow!” A tornado burst from Gaogamon’s mouth. Myotismon was thrown off guard. He threw his arms up just in time to deflect the brunt of the attack, but giving the other Digimon time to get into position. As soon as Myotismon lowered his arms, Mechamon was in his face, hitting him with an electrically charged uppercut, throwing him into the air, where he was hit by Dragonterramon’s Terra Flame and BrauntoPhoenixmon’s Dino Fire, followed by Fillimon’s Filli Beams. Myotismon was busy trying to recover, when Maria called, “Cannon Balls!” She fired a barrage of steel balls from her mouth, hammering the foe in the chest. He fell heavily to the ground.


Meanwhile, my battle with my opponent resumed. I managed to push him back. “You can’t defeat me,” I said. “I have the forces of light and justice on my side.”

“Light and justice mean nothing to me,” my foe said, laughing at the sheer cheesiness of what I'd said. “I am Draven Gastrovich, sorcerer and Digimon Tamer. Nothing can stop me!”

He attacked wildly. I was caught off guard. There was no way for me to defend. But just before Draven’s attack hit, I heard the roof access door swing open and a gun go off. Draven stopped cold, his eyes wide. He clutched his abdomen, blood running through his fingers. I turned to see Chief Thompson standing near the open roof access door, his gun still raised, and the barrel still smoking. I turned back toward Draven, just in time to see him stumble backwards and fall over the roof edge. Thompson and I ran to the roof and watched as Draven fell toward the ground, and his apparent demise.

Next Chapter (Coming Soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment