Sunday, August 9, 2015

Digimon Adventure ND Book Two: The Terror of Tyranterramon - Chapter Twelve

Fun fact: In the original version of this, posted on yugiohcardmaker.net, this was two chapters, both of which didn't even break three pages. So I streamlined them a bit, added some refined and improved details, and combined them together. We learn a lot in these two chapters, including the most likely meaning of the so-called Prophesy of Protectormon, and the fact that the Crests seem to hold secrets that the Digidestined still don't know about.

It is also my birthday today, so, ya know, happy birthday me! 



Chapter Twelve

Birth of the Courageous Soldier


It had been dark for hours. My friends had eaten and had been happily tucked away in bed for at least as long. Yet here I was, tired and hungry, standing at one of the computers in Machinedramon’s underground complex sifting through the rather extensive, yet somehow still limited recorded history of the Digital World. Most of what I found I already knew. So far I’d made no progress finding another meaning of Protectormon’s prophesy. I was desperate to find something. Anything. I kept thinking back to something that Machinedramon had told me before leaving me to my work:


“I don’t know if this will help, but there are a few pieces of information that you won’t find in the computer. Firstly, each of the Digital Cores represents a different trait. Ocean equals life. Forest equals unity. Mountain, power. Desert, stamina. Metal, wisdom. Additionally, each core harbors energy that can help a Digimon discover the power to achieve a specific type of Digivolution that is related to the property that it represents. The Desert Core promotes Digivolution to the next level up, the Forest Core promotes the union of humans and Digimon through a process called Bio-Merge, the Ocean Core promotes life and gives the Digimon of this world the power to be reconfigured, or reborn, when they die, the Mountain Core promotes Digivolution straight to the Ultimate Level, and the Metal Core promotes DNA Digivolution.”


Knowing the hidden powers of the cores didn’t seem to offer any answers, but I kept dwelling on Machinedramon's words, all of them, spoken to me throughout the evening. Something that he had said was bugging me. I just couldn’t put my finger on what that something was.

“What are you doing?” asked a familiar voice from behind me. I turned, “Oh hey, Serpentmon. What are you doing up?” I looked around. Except for the clanging of the automated construction equipment in the opposite end of the cavernous room, the underground complex was quiet. Its Machine Digimon attendants had abandoned it for the night to do maintenance on this city without me even realizing it.

“Just wanted to see how you’re doin’.” My friend answered. “Machinedramon told us what you’re tryin’ to do. It sounded hard.”

“It’s more frustrating than hard,” I said. “The Prophesy of Protectormon seems to be saying that only bringing all six of the Five Regions’ Guardians together will allow us to defeat Tyranterramon. It specifically refers to the ‘Greatest Power’ and ‘Heroes’. It can’t mean anyone but the Guardians. They were sometimes called the ‘Heroes of the Five Regions’, and almost everyone at the time knew them collectively as the ‘Greatest Power’.”

“I thought the Sovereign was stronger?” Serpentmon wondered.

“He was,” I said, “but according to the files I’ve read, Protectormon was referred to as either the ‘Great Protector’ or the ‘Greater Than the Greatest Power’. Since this so called prophesy was left behind by Protectormon himself, I’m gonna assume that the terminology is correct. That means that the only way to defeat Tyranterramon is to bring the Guardians together again, allowing them to restore their former strength and then seemingly go beyond that. That will somehow allow Protectormon to be reborn, and he’ll take care of Tyranterramon himself.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“Well,” I said, taking a deep breath, “first of all, we don’t know where the weakened form of Pharaohmon is, if he was even reborn. There’s also the issue of MetalSeadramon. He was still alive and kicking and guarding the Ocean Core when Tyranterramon attacked it. Unless Tyranterramon was feeling merciful at the time, we have to assume that MetalSeadramon was killed. And until the Ocean Core is restored, Digimon won’t have the power to be reborn. That means there’s no chance that he was reconfigured somewhere. It’s hopeless.”

“So are you giving up?” Serpentmon asked.

“Of course not,” I replied hastily.

“It sounds like you are. You keep using words like ‘hopeless’. The John I know, the John who stood against ViralManipulamon, and who fought against an Ultimate Digimon and held his own, would never use words like hopeless. He’d smile wide, even if he was scared, and he’d lead his team of very loyal friends and allies into battle to defend the world that has become his second home. Even if he knew that he’d die, and even if he had to go it alone, he’d continue to fight, and probably do something really brave and stupid, because it’s the right thing to do.” I found myself speechless as I looked into my friend’s eyes. He looked angry now, and more serious than I’d ever seen him. He continued, “The John I know would never give up, even if he was beaten again and again until it looked like he could never win. Instead he’d lift up his chin and keep fighting until he’d found a way to overcome the odds and defeat the enemy.”

I was stunned. I took a deep breath, and very slowly I smiled a confident smile. “You’re right Serpentmon,” I said. “Even if the situation does seem grim, and even if we don’t stand a chance, we have to fight. No evil Digimon, no matter how strong, can ever get the best of us! So what if we can’t fulfill the prophesy? There has to be another way to win. We just have to find it.”

Even without true lips, the black snake managed to smile. “Come on,” I said. “We have work to do tomorrow. We should get some sleep.”

So Serpentmon jumped onto my shoulder, wrapping his tail loosely around my neck, and we made our way to the foot of the massive stairs. Cables from the control room above lifted us up, and we were directed to our room by a couple of helpful Guardromon. I removed my jeans and climbed into bed, grasping at a fleeting chance at sleep.


The next morning I repeated my words from the previous night in front of my friends and allies, including Machinedramon and his men. Even the cool and logical mechanical Guardian seemed inspired. No one disagreed with me that even if we didn’t stand the slightest chance of victory, we couldn’t back down. Tyranterramon could not be allowed to advance unhindered. Not while a single Digidestined or good Digimon remained alive to oppose him. Machinedramon had assembled his entire force of twelve Mekanorimon, seven Guardromon, and six Tankmon, machines that resembled robotic torsos with machine gun arms and cannons for heads affixed to tank treads. They were all that Machinedramon had to offer, save a group of defenders who would remain behind and protect the Citadel in case we failed.

Machinedramon also presented me, Jen, Sarah, and Jeremy with four Mekanorimon bodies which had not yet been given personality data. We could use them as combat suite, giving us a chance to actually join in the battle, or make a hasty escape if the campaign failed. Yet another Mekanorimon, one with a personality but limited weapons, would act as the guardian of the two youngest members of my team. Every one of my allies joined Machinedramon’s intrepid troupe, save the Otamamon and Gekomon. They decided that it would be best if they remained behind.

We were preparing to march when two scouts, Child Level robotic insect Digimon known as Kokuwamon, appeared almost out of nowhere and set down ahead of their general. They bowed lightly as a sign of respect, and then one of them spoke. “Machinedramon,” he said, “I have bad news to report. It seems that Tyranterramon arrived at the desert much earlier than expected. He’s close to completing his scan!”

Machinedramon let out a frustrated, mechanical growl and said, “If that’s the case, we won’t reach him until he’s more than two thirds the way here. We’ll have to fly. It’s the only way we’ll be able to intercept the enemy in time.”

At Machinedramon’s command the total of thirteen Mekanorimon grabbed onto the six Tankmon and seven Guardromon and rose into the air. The Digimon Digivolved and took on as many passengers as they could carry. Finally Garudamon and MagnaBrauntomon grabbed onto Machinedramon’s cannons and lifted him into the air. The joystick-based controls that Jeremy, Jen, Sarah and I found beneath our Mekanorimon bodies’ domes were rather simple. Anyone who had ever played a video game would've been able to use them. It was a cinch for us to join our allies in the sky.

Decimatormon carried SkullMeramon, and with Machinedramon, Garudamon and MagnaBrauntomon in the lead, we headed out toward the final battle.


As we approached the still-ruined, but now much less turbulent, Desert Region, I called up my Mekanorimon shells sensors. A holographic map appeared, displaying the entire region in real time. It wasn’t long before I detected Tyranterramon, just beginning to move. “Everyone set down,” I said, taking the lead out of habit. “I’m going to lead all flying forces in a surprise attack. Hopefully it’ll give the ground based Digimon a chance to get in close without being seen. All Mekanorimon, break into four wings of two. Jeremy, Sarah, Jen and I will act as wing leaders. We’ll fly distraction for the more powerful flying Digimon.” As I spoke the Mekanorimon set their passengers down and obediently formed up behind the members of my team. The four wings peeled away from each other and circled around to come at Tyranterramon from four different directions. We flew at full speed toward the enemy, the remaining flying Digimon close behind.


As we flew, I made sure to check each of my Mekanorimon battle suit's controls, making sure that I knew all of their functions. Then I relayed what I learned to Jeremy, Jen and Sarah. Like I said before, the controls were simple. Jeremy and Jen picked up on them immediately, and Sarah didn’t take much longer.

As Tyranterramon came into view, it became apparent that he had undergone yet another significant change.

“Are those wings?” Sarah asked in disbelief.

I couldn’t believe it either, but from Tyranterramon’s back hung two massive red-brown-feathered wings. I was worried that he might even be able to fly now, but we couldn’t afford to change our plans at this point. Tyranterramon was concentrating hard on where he was going, and he didn’t seem to see or hear our approach. We circled around behind our target. I clicked a button on the joystick that controlled my Mekanorimon as I called out, “Fire!” My and every other Mekanorimon in our formation fired, hitting Tyranterramon in the back, and in the back of the head. Tyranterramon turned around, “Who dares attack Tyranterramon from behind?”

I kicked my Mekanorimon’s rockets up to full power and shot straight at Tyranterramon’s face at mach one. I swung my Mekanorimon’s metal fist, punching the foe between the eyes, causing Tyranterramon to stumble back. “I do,” I said. “You remember me right? I don’t think we’ve ever been properly introduced. My name’s John.”

“I don’t know where you found these mechanized allies,” said Tyranterramon with a frustrated growl, “or where you got a robotic weapon suit of your own, but if you think either will help you defeat me, you are quite mistaken.” Tyranterramon’s fist burned with a powerful red aura, and he wound up to launch one huge finishing attack, but he was interrupted by a massive bird-shaped flame and a barrage of missiles launched by Garudamon and MagnaBrauntomon which struck him in the abdomen and caused him to recoil. The angels released their attacks next, hitting Tyranterramon square in the chest. Finally Decimatormon released a wave of beams and missiles that impacted multiple points on Tyranterramon’s body. The combined force of the successive attacks nearly threw the massive fiend off of his feet. He caught himself, but only barely.

While Tyranterramon was occupied and still off balance, I shot forward and punched him again, right in the jaw. This time he did fall, only to rise a moment later with a roar and a swing of his clubbed tail. He swung his left arm wide, crushing several of the Mekanorimon, wound up his right fist, and prepared to strike. He punched, and like an idiot, I moved to meet his attack with one of my own. The burning aura returned and Tyranterramon called, “Burning Tyrant-Fist!” Waves of energy spread from his knuckles, vaporizing my Mekanorimon battle suit. I felt the energy waves tearing at my body as I fell through the sky, but I survived, protected by the light of my two Crests. I suddenly found myself wearing light weight golden armor over my chest. A Shield emblazoned with the Neo Crest of Friendship appeared in my left hand, and a cape cascaded down my back. A sword, still in its sheath, appeared strapped to my waist. I surveyed these new implements through bangs which tapered from brown to gold at the tips.

An aura flared up around me and I stopped falling. I was flying, under my own power, but I realized that I couldn’t really move too freely. So in a moment of inspiration I concentrated and projected my new aura around my shield and dropped it down below my feet. Using the shield as a sort of hover board, I moved through the air with ease. I laughed out loud. I felt power surging through me. Not as much as when I was Vipramon, but enough to give a Perfect Level a run for his money.

InfernoKnightmon flew over my head, followed by Decimatormon, Garudamon, MagnaBrauntomon, MechAngemon, and TechAngewomon. The five mighty Digimon unleashed their attacks, but Tyranterramon wrapped his wings around his body, using them as a very effective shield. As Sarah, Jen, Jeremy, the Digimon, the remaining Mekanorimon and I circled Tyranterramon, he threw open his wings, nearly knocking us all to the ground. Then Tyranterramon raised his wings and called, “Feather Shards!” The feathers in his wing tips glowed, and from them fired a barrage of feather-shaped energy blades that threatened to rip us to shreds.

I swung my sword, releasing a wave of heat that cancelled out enough of the blades that I was able to deflect any which still threatened me off of my shield and survive the barrage unharmed. The others followed suit with their own attacks, but while we were occupied, Tyranterramon launched his Feather Shards attack again. We didn’t have time to react. We were only saved by an equally extensive barrage of missiles and bullets that cancelled the attack out. I looked toward the source of our salvation, and I saw a legion of Tankmon and Guardromon emerge from the trees, followed by the machine general, Machinedramon.

I watched as Arukenimon, Mummymon, Babamon, Jijimon, SkullMeramon and CyberGarurumon ran ahead, approaching us at high speed. CyberGarurumon moved even faster than the others. “Let’s get this over with,” he said dismissively, as if this entire battle bored him, and jumped up into a tree, using its branches as a springboard, launching himself toward his foe. Just as he reached the apex of his jump, he removed his sash, letting his wolf skin cloak flutter free. His missiles fired as he called, “Cyber Wolf-Bite!”

Tyranterramon swung an aura-charged fist, slinging energy at the missiles, destroying them all. But taking the time to destroy the missiles distracted Tyranterramon long enough for MagnaBrauntomon, Decimatormon, and Garudamon to get into position and attack from behind, hitting him full force in the small of his back. Tyranterramon stumbled forward and fell onto one knee. As powerful as he’d become, as hard as it was to do him real harm, he still felt each hit. His new wings, while useful, made his quick turning movements more difficult, so he was an easier target than he’d been in our last few encounters. It was a small advantage, but it was an advantage nonetheless.

“How dare you strike me when my back is turned?” Tyranterramon demanded. “I am your RULER!” Tyranterramon screamed up at the sky and swung his fist as hard as he could. He sent waves flying right at Machinedramon, who was far too large and bulky to dodge. He might survive, but he might not. In a desperate attempt to ensure that he would, my old friends Arukenimon and Mummymon threw themselves in the way of Tyranterramon’s attack, knowing that saving one of the Guardians would mean sacrificing themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment