Sunday, July 5, 2015

Digimon Adventure ND Book Two: The Terror of Tyranterramon - Chapter Seven

In this chapter the Digidestined keep fighting old people. It's kinda the whole wise old master thing, with the elderly Babamon and Jijimon passing on their knowledge to the young heroes, and it does help, though obviously Tyranterramon doesn't die anytime soon, since the book isn't even half over yet. Still, even though the powers that the heroes obtain here don't win them the day, the lessons that they learn eventually contribute to the climax.

Oh, and fun fact, it is canon that Babamon is the elderly form of Rosemon, as mentioned below, but Oberomon is my own creation. Internets to whoever gets the reference.



Chapter Seven

Trial of the Forest


“Round two of this little mock battle is about to start,” I told Jijimon, “but first, you need to answer my friend Mummymon’s question: who are you two?”

“We aren’t much anymore,” Jijimon answered, “but once, long ago, we were Oberomon and Rosemon, King and Queen of the Forest, and the Guardians of the Forest Core. We made up one fifth of the Five Regions’ Guardians along with Pharaohmon, Guardian of the Desert Core, Phoenixmon, Guardian of the Mountain Core, MetalSeadramon, Guardian of the Ocean Core, and our leader, Millenniummon, Guardian of the Metal Core.”

“But as time passed,” Babamon added, “the time of the Guardians passed as well. MetalSeadramon became a recluse, Pharaohmon degenerated to data with old age, and Millenniummon was forced to build himself a mechanical body in order to survive. Oberomon and I were both Digimon who change form instead of breaking down with age. We continued to do our duty, guarding the core, while sharpening our skills to compensate for the power that we had lost. Though we had always been in touch with nature, our training here allowed us to become even more in tune with the Forest Core. We learned that the Forest Core, and likely every core, has a connection to some form of Digivolution. The Forest Core can foster a Digivolution based on unity, and the stronger the union, the stronger the result. That is the key to defeating Tyranterramon.”

I nodded, “That makes sense. That’s why you guys are so tough. You’re Ultimate Level Digimon. And this whole thing is just a way to get me and Serpentmon to connect with the Forest Core and get stronger.”

I took a few steps to the right and took up a fighting pose. “Come on, let’s do this.” Jijimon attacked immediately. He struck with his staff, but I jumped back, landing beneath the branches of a nearby tree. Serpentmon, who was still on my shoulder, sprung up, snapping a straight branch loose with his tail, and then landing again on my shoulder. I caught the branch, holding it like a sword, just in time to block the next strike from Jijimon’s staff, then another, and a third, pushing Jijimon back, and for the first time hitting him with an attack of my own.

Jijimon stumbled back and flipped, regaining his footing twenty yards away. Serpentmon fired his attack from his perch on my shoulder, catching Jijimon in the chest and blasting him away.

“You are close to reaching the level that you require,” said Jijimon, “but you still have a little way to go. You and your Digimon must have hearts that beat as one, or you will never achieve the Ultimate Power.”

Jijimon looked over at Babamon. She stood up straighter and said, “Oh, is it time? Alright, Dear, let’s get this over with.”

Jijimon turned back to me and said, “You may choose two of your team mates to fight alongside you Sonny.”

“Why only two?” I asked.

“The Core has great power,” Jijimon explained, “but it only emits so much at once. Any more than three candidates and we risk the new Digivolution failing due to lack of energy. If my wife and I are correct, the power of three will be enough.”

I nodded, and considered who to choose. Jeremy had access to an Ultimate Digimon now, one which seemed at InfernoKnightmon’s level. If this was a trial to gain a new form of Digivolution, he didn’t need it as much as some of the others. TechnoWeremon had his speed, and I didn’t want to risk compromising that. MetalBrauntomon was already as tough as some Ultimate Digimon, thanks to his size, and he could certainly stand to be stronger, but honestly I was curious to see what power would awaken in two Digimon with divine potential, like the horses. I looked to Jen and then to Sarah, “Will you help me?”

“I’ll fight,” said Sarah defiantly. “It’s about time Ponymon and I made a difference around here again.”

“Me too,” said Jen. “Coltmon and I are already so close that this should be a piece of cake.”

“There you go,” I said. I pulled another branch down from the tree and tossed in to Jen. And with that the battle resumed. Jijimon continued to exchange blows with me and Serpentmon, who reached forward and countered with his whip-like tail. Jijimon jabbed, and I countered, giving Serpentmon an opening to slap Jijimon in the chest. He recovered and struck again, and this time Serpentmon knocked the thrusting staff to the side, and I swiped, knocking the stalky Digimon’s legs out from under him. He rolled and hopped back to his feet in an instant, but he kept his distance now, forcing me to press the attack.

Meanwhile Jen, Coltmon and Ponymon struggled to keep Babamon at bay. Babamon was actually quicker than Jijimon, using her broom as a staff. She focused on Jen, nimbly avoiding both horses, even countering their Hoof Tornado with a gust kicked up by a swing of her broom head, and striking at Jen’s legs and head. Jen wielded her stick like a staff of her own, holding her ground, deflecting Babamon’s attacks. Babamon fell back, and when she was unable to get in close to her opponents again on foot, she jumped onto her broom and rose into the air. She launched a barrage of fireballs from her mouth, nearly hitting Jen with one of them before Sarah used her soccer skills to return the attack. Babamon dodged, but only barely.

Before long I noticed that we were beginning to move as one with our Digimon. Serpentmon began to feel like another appendage, covering exactly the areas of my body that I needed him two without any indication from me. Sarah defended Jen, who ran with the horses, the three launching consecutive strikes which forced Babamon to go entirely on the defensive. The glow from within the hut reappeared, and three green orbs of light emerged, sinking into mine, Jen’s, and Sarah’s chests. Our entire bodies began to glow. Then our Digimon began to glow as well. Serpentmon and I rose into the air.

“Serpentmon,” my Digimon declared, “Bio-Merge to!” He and I merged into one. We grew into a reptilian man, about InfernoKnightmon’s height. Black armor patterned after a snake covered our body, and a helm shaped like the head of a snake appeared over our head. An oversized snake head appeared over our right hand. The fangs stretched outward, forming a double-tipped lance. A round buckler appeared attached to our left arm, “Vipramon!”

Jen and Coltmon rose into the air. “Coltmon, Bio-Merge to!” They fused as well, becoming a tall man in robes, samurai-style armor covering his shoulders, head, chest, and thighs. A sash appeared around his waist, in which rested two long katanas in their scabbards, “Samuraimon!”

Sarah and Ponymon rose into the air and merged into one, “Ponymon, Bio-Merge to!” They became a cloaked woman with long, straight blond hair wearing a headband of woven branches. Beneath her cloak she wore a simple earth-green dress, and she carried a staff topped with a green crystal, “Druidmon!”

I dropped back to the ground and stood up to my full height, facing Jijimon, Samuraimon to my right, and Druidmon to my left. “What do you think, Jijimon?” I asked. “Unified enough for you?” I felt amazing. I was so powerful! Even Tyranterramon would have trouble with me in this form, especially with my new allies at my side.

Jeremy looked up from his Digicalculator, a shocked look on his face. “That’s impossible! The combined power that they’re putting out, it’s literally off the charts. It’s like trying to read Tyranterramon’s power.”

Jijimon circled us, scrutinizing our new forms. “I think,” he said, “that this might just do it.”

My friends and allies cheered. For the first time since our battle for the Desert Core, we really felt that we actually had a chance. The three of us separated, returning to our previous forms.

Serpentmon sprung up onto my shoulder again and said, “Tyranterramon’s got nothing on us now!”


I looked over at him, still getting over the experience of being a Digimon, of having so much power literally in the palm of my hand. It was a strange experience, one which left me simultaneously humbled and hopeful. Were Serpentmon and Jijimon right? Would this new power be enough to defeat the enemy baring down on us? I couldn’t answer that. Only time could.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment