Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Seven: Their Most Dangerous Enemy - Chapter Five



This week we, of course, return to DF7. This chapter features the duel between John and the Yu-Gi-Oh! R character Reiko Kitamori, a highly strategic enemy. It mostly serves to introduce us to some of John's new cards, one of which will actually be important in his final duel of the story. It also shows off one of my favorite recent cards: Legendary Maju Garzett. It was a late addition to this book, since it was released very recently, but the fact that a new Maju Garzett monster was added to the game after so many years was just too perfect. I had to include it.

What this chapter also does is add a new character to the DF's ranks in the form of Reiko, who is, predictably, going to be disavowed from the Card Professors. Ever since I first read Yu-Gi-Oh! R I've liked her character, and I've wanted to include her in one of my stories. She won't do a whole lot more in terms of combat in this book, but she does end up assisting the Duel Force and playing an important role. Of course, the mystery man will try to do what he promised and take Reiko's life as soon as next chapter, giving us a better look at his skills and abilities in relation to our heroes, so there's that to look forward to for next week!
  



Chapter Five

John vs. Reiko Kitamori


John


“Uh hey,” I asked the scared-looking girl who had just appeared before us, “what’s up?”

Max gave me a funny look.

“Well what should I have said?” I asked him.

Max looked down at the girl, and did something which surprised me. First of all, he hadn’t put his hood back up when someone he didn’t know had appeared, and now he offered this strange girl his hand. She took it, shakily rising to her feet. “Who are you,” he asked in a tone that was actually softer than an interrogator on a cop show, “and how did you get here?”

“I-I’m Reiko Kitamori,” the girl stammered.

“I’ve heard of you,” said Karen thoughtfully. “You’re a Pro Duelist, and a rumored member of the Card Professors Guild.”

“The what?” I asked her, completely lost. I could see this girl was a Duelist. She carried a Duel Disk. But what was a Card Professor? I’d heard the term before, but I couldn’t place it.

“I’ve mentioned them before,” Karen told me, looking at Reiko critically. “They’re player eliminators hired to control the outcome of Dueling events in favor of the arranging party. Essentially, if there is a house prize for winning your event, and you don’t actually want to pay it out, you hire the Card Professors to win in your name and pay them less than the total prize.”

“Right,” I said, remembering where I’d heard of this group before, “you mentioned them once after I expressed an interest in going pro. You wanted to make sure I watched out for them.”

I looked Reiko over just as critically as my fiancĂ© had, “But really, you’re a Card Professor? You don’t look the type.”

“I-I don’t particularly enjoy it or anything,” Reiko replied sheepishly, like she’d wondered before herself why she was a part of this group, “but I’m a strong Duelist and I make a good living.”

If she’s a Card Professor, I thought, she must be strong. I’ve never seen any of the members duel, but I’ve heard stories of strong Duelists losing utterly to them in almost no time at all. And now it seems like the Card Professors have the power to appear out of nowhere. That kind of magic could be dangerous.

“You answered one of our questions,” I reminded the girl, “but not the other. How did you get here? And while you’re at it, I’d like to know why you’re here. What do you want?”

“I was sent here,” Reiko replied, beginning to calm down ever so slightly, her expression turning aggressive. “I was sent here to fight you, John Sieger. I was sent to defeat you!”

I stared at her, puzzled, “What?”

“Y-You are John Sieger, right?” she asked, wondering now if she’d made a mistake. “I recognize you from your duels!”

“Yeah,” I replied, “that’s me, but-.”

“Then to prove myself to the new number one Card Professor I have to beat you!” Reiko declared, obviously trying to fire herself up, to hide how desperate and frightened she still felt. She stepped back until she was standing in the entrance to the alleyway, facing me, her duel disk coming online.

“Alright,” I told her, still confused as to her motives, stepping back as well until my back was practically touching the back wall of the alley, and I summoned the curved, sword-like Dark Disk through the shadows to its place on my left arm, and I inserted my deck, “but I’m not going to go easy on you just because you’re all freaked out.”

Reiko swallowed nervously, “Sorry, but I don’t have time to banter. I summon ‘Puppet Pawn’.”

A monster like a robotic doll resembling the weakest chess piece appeared on Reiko’s field, assuming a defensive posture (DEF: 1200).

Interesting, I thought, my mind racing. If she’s a Puppet Chess player strong enough to work as a player killer, this duel could be problematic.

I recalled a recent duel with a friend of mine, Thomas, who countered my aggressive strategy with a highly defensive one still capable of dealing me damage, and almost beaten me. I imagined that Reiko was planning something similar. Turns out I was pretty close to correct, because as it turns out, Reiko confirmed her strategy in the very first turn.

“I set two cards,” Reiko announced, “and play ‘B-Battlefield Tragedy’. Now whenever someone attacks, they lose the top five cards of their deck.”

So she uses a Chess Mill deck, I realized. Very interesting. I have to end this quickly.

I drew my opening hand, completely focused on the duel. A ripple of force spread from me, causing my hair to flutter in my eyes, and causing Reiko to take an apprehensive half step back.

“If that’s how you want to play,” I said, “that’s fine, but don’t expect me to hesitate because of your Spell card. I keep my deck at a bit above forty cards, so I’m not too worried about decking out. I start out by summoning a monster, my ‘Twin-Sword Marauder’. And because I summoned a Level Four monster, I can Special Summon ‘Kagetokage’, the Shadow Lizard!”

A warrior in leather armor with three blades bound to each of his hands appeared (ATK: 1600). His shadow stretched out from his body, and from it emerged a flat, pitch black lizard which almost seemed like a part of the floor (ATK: 1100).

“I set a card, and attack your ‘Puppet Pawn’ with my ‘Twin-Sword Marauder’,” I explained to Reiko, sending the top five cards of my deck, my ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’, ‘Monster Reborn’, ‘Mirror Force’, ‘Karma Cut’ and ‘Level Eater’, to the Graveyard as my monster surged forward and brought his blade down, splitting the puppet monster in half head to toe, “and thanks to my monster’s ability, he deals Piercing damage to you, and he can attack again.”

Reiko lost Life Points, but as my monster raised his second blade to strike her again, I noticed that she’d lost more than the six hundred Life that she should have lost (8000 -> 6400).

“Sorry,” she said, sounding genuinely apologetic, “but when my monster dies, I reveal ‘Soul Rope’ to summon a four star monster from my deck. A monster like ‘Puppet Knight’.”

There was a flash of light, and a second simplistic, puppet-style monster emerged from the light in the path of my warrior. He looked like a torso emerging from the back of a puppet horse, and he carried a sword in his hand, using it to parry my warrior’s strike (ATK: 1800). ‘Twin-Sword Marauder’ stepped back to stand at my side.

“Then I don’t really have a choice but to end my Battle Phase,” I told Reiko thoughtfully, but again my thought was interrupted.

“I-I’m sorry, again, but you only have one choice, and that’s not it,” Reiko announced, surprising me with her resourcefulness. “I reveal my second Trap, ‘Rear-Guard Action’. Your weakest monster is forced to attack my monster of its own accord, forcing you to discard again for the cost of ‘Battlefield Tragedy’.”

“Whoa,” I said, genuinely impressed. My lizard slunk forward, only for the ‘Knight’’s longsword to find him and split him in half from head to tail. I lost Life points this time (8000 -> 7300), along with another five cards, including my ‘Black Luster Soldier – Envoy of the Beginning’, the most versatile card in my deck.

“N-Now it’s my turn,” Reiko stammered, drawing a card and reading over its effect, making me wonder if it was a new card or something.

“I play ‘Monster Reborn’,” she finally announced, placing the card on her Duel Disk. In a flash of red light her ‘Puppet Pawn’ reappeared.

“Now I tribute my ‘Puppet Pawn’ and ‘Puppet Knight’,” she declared, “to summon ‘Puppet King’!” As she spoke, her two monsters faded from the field and were replaced by a much taller puppet monster adorned with a cloak and crown, carrying a scepter (ATK: 2800).

“My monster attacks,” Reiko declared, “with Majestic Checker!” As she milled her top five cards, her monster aimed his scepter at my swordsman and blew him away in a bright flash of light. I took another hit (7300 -> 6300).

This girl is an amazing strategist, I thought, but I get the feeling that her head just isn’t in the game. Something’s going on, and as soon as this duel is over, I intend to find out what it is. But first, I need to finish this. I have other problems to deal with today, too.

“I end my turn,” Reiko finished, wiping a bead of sweat from her brow with her sleeve.

“Well, then,” I said, “I think it’s time we wrapped this up.”

Reiko looked at me, confused, “W-What?”

I didn’t answer her, because I didn’t need to. If I managed to get what I needed this turn, my turn would be the answer. I drew, and, looking at my hand, I said, “Let’s get some new cards up in my hand. I discard my ‘D.D. Crow’ to banish your ‘Puppet Knight’ from your Graveyard, and to allow me to discard ‘Card Gifter’ as well, drawing two cards.”

A strange human-like creature in a colorful jumpsuit appeared and handed me the top two cards of my deck. I looked at them, and I nodded, “Next I set a card, and I play ‘Card of Sanctity’ to draw three more cards.”

I looked them over and fought back a smile, saying, “You get to refill your hand, too, but it won’t matter today. You sent a lot of my cards to the Graveyard, not realizing that my deck thrives on just that. I start us off by banishing ‘D.D. Crow’ and ‘D.D. Warrior Lady’ in my Graveyard from play to Special Summon ‘Lightpulsar Dragon’!”

“Wow,” said Karen, watching from the sidelines, “that’s new.”

From a flash of light emerged a blue-white dragon with two wings and a glowing blue orb in its chest, orbited by tiny, twinkling lights. It issued a high-pitched roar and stared down my opponent’s more powerful monster (ATK: 2500).

“I lower the level of my monster by one,” I declared, “to Special Summon ‘Level Eater’ from my Graveyard,” a Level Star emerged from my dragon’s chest and took on the form of a ladybug the size of a small dog with a Level Star on its shell, which rose into the air a few feet on fluttering wings, before it disappeared suddenly.

“I tribute ‘Level Eater’,” I declared, “to summon ‘Darkflare Dragon!”

A pillar of dark fire rose up, and from it emerged a fierce-looking black and red dragon with four wings and a glowing yellow orb in its chest, orbited by a ring of fire. It stood against the puppet king alongside its counterpart (ATK: 2400).

“Neither of your monsters is strong enough to beat mine, though,” Reiko argued, visibly shaken.

“You’re right,” I agreed, “I don’t control a monster stronger than the ‘Puppet King’. Yet. I reveal a Trap card, my ‘Call of the Haunted’, to revive another monster that you sent to the Graveyard, my ‘Twin-Sword Marauder’,” the swordsman returned to my side, “and I revive my ‘Level Eater’ one more time, by lowering the Level of the ‘Lightpulsar Dragon’ by one as well.”

Again, a Level Star emerged from one of my dragons, becoming the oversized insect, which hovered at my side (ATK: 500).

“Reveal,” I continued, “the Spell card ‘Double Summon’, tributing my ‘Level Eater’ a second time to summon my favorite monster, ‘The Fiend Megacyber’!”

The ladybug disappeared, replaced by a warrior in black and yellow plate armor and a battle skirt, wearing a horned armor hood, spikes protruding from his broad pauldrons. He appeared crouched down, standing up dramatically, throwing off black and yellow sparks (ATK: 2200).

“You still can’t get past my monster,” Reiko said, puzzled now as much as she was still afraid.

“Not yet, but that'll change soon,” I told her, “because I have one more card in my hand, and it’s, by far, the most powerful card in my deck.”

I brandished the card in a grand fashion, as all of the monsters on my field dissolved into wisps of thick black smoke, swirling together in a massive cloud which towered above the buildings which made up the sight of our battle.

“I tribute,” I announced, “every monster on my side of the field, combining their power.”

The pillar of smoke dispersed, and from it emerged a massive skeletal demon with exposed purplish muscles, three backswept horns, each with a yellow crystal embedded in its base, large armored shoulders, with crystals embedded in them as well, four arms, broad feathered wings, and tufts of dry brown hair growing from his wings, wrists and head. The demon looked down at the ‘Puppet King’ with his arms crossed and roared so loud that the sound shook the ground.

“That’s new, too,” Karen said, beaming with pride.

“This,” I explained to Reiko, “is my ultimate monster, ‘Legendary Maju Garzett’, a monster which can only be Special Summoned by tributing ever monster I control, who is summoned with the combined original Attack of all of those monsters (ATK: 8700). And one more time, I promise, I re-summon 'Level Eater', this time in Attack mode (ATK: 600). I attack with Vile Darkness Supernova!”

‘Maju’ raised one of his four hands above his head. He summoned darkness to him, forming a massive sphere which hung above him, in the air, al la Dragonball Z. He gestured toward the ‘Puppet King’, and its terrified master, and the orb fell, filling the alleyway with a flash of dark light. When it faded, the small Level Star ladybug burst forward and struck Reiko with a swift, full-bodied tackle. Every hologram cleared from the Duel field as my opponent's Life points dropped away to zero. Reiko Kitamori fell to her knees, shaking.

I stepped forward, “Alright, we dueled, now answer my questions, if you don’t mind.”

I was trying to be tough, but then I met Reiko’s eyes and I saw how real, how raw, the fear there was. She wasn’t just afraid of disappointing this person.

Well, I thought, I made a mistake.

“I-I-I can’t lose,” Reiko stammered. “H-He’s going to k-kill me!”

“Who is?” I asked her, looking around, reaching out with the power of the Soul, searching for any hidden assailants. Before she could even answer, I felt it. Something was moving towards us, through the darkness. I could feel the Shadows compressing, like a ripple ahead of the bow of a ship. There was a shimmer, and suddenly a young man lunged from the place where the light and the shadows met, as if he were moving into view from behind a curtain. He was tall and lanky, with longish hair, so dark brown that it was almost black, casting shadows over his eyes, which were just as dark. He wore a long brown coat over a black shirt, and in his hand he carried a medium length single-edged blade, which he held outstretched, aimed right at the girl’s heart.

Card of the Day
  Legendary Maju Garzett
Played by: John

One of John's signature cards is the deadly "Great Maju Garzett", and he has been shown to use "Maju Garzett" and "Gren Maju Da Eiza". This is reflective of myself, as I personally love these cards. My casual deck, the one that I use to play against my friends when we actually play Yu-Gi-Oh!, contains "Great Maju Garzett" and, recently, this card as well. So, of course, John would come to include this incredibly powerful monster in his deck as well. I'm just so psyched that a new form of this really sweet monster was made which is actually relevant in the game today.

I just really like it, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment