Sunday, February 8, 2015

Digimon Adventure ND Book One: Manipulamon Reigns - Chapter Fifteen

The very first instance of anyone other than John narrating the story at all was Jen narrating a couple of paragraphs last time a situation similar to this one took place, though on a lesser scale. Therefor, and because this Jen is an alternate version of the brilliant strategist from my Yu-Gi-Oh! DF stories, it makes sense that this first ever story arc apart from our main narrator, should be narrated by her, and that her Digimon should be the second in the group to reach Perfect (Ultimate) level. 

Also, fun fact, this chapter is literally almost word for word exactly as it was written when I was somewhere around ten years old and first working seriously on this story. Some description and dialogue has been updated and improved, but otherwise little has changed, and all things considered, I think it holds up.



 Chapter Fifteen

The Haunted Mansion;
Ghosts Attack!


“That’s it,” said Coltmon, “we’re officially lost!”

We had been walking since sunrise. It was almost noon now, and the jungle was getting thicker and darker the further we went. It was reaching a point where it was hard not to agree with him.

Despite that, however, I looked down at my Digimon. “Do you think you could be any more depressing?” I asked him. “You’re starting to sound like BlackColtmon.”

But there was no denying that he was right. It had only been two days since our separation from John and Sarah, and Amanda was still pretty down about the whole thing. The deepening darkness of the forest wasn't doing much to help her mood.

“Alright,” I said, trying to be as cheery as possible, “this is no problem! Coltmon will just Digivolve, and he and I will fly up above the trees and get our bearings.” I looked down at Coltmon. He nodded.

“Initiate,” I said, brandishing my Digivice, “Digivolution!”

“Coltmon,” my Digimon declared, growing into his saddled Adult form, spreading his shining wings, “Digivolve to! BattleStaliamon!”

I jumped onto my partner’s back and we took flight. I'd never ridden a horse before coming to the Digital World, and yet now, after only riding aback my partner Digimon a few times, it seemed almost second nature to me. With only a few flaps of his powerful wings, BattleStaliamon lifted us far above the treetops until we could see the landscape all around us. It was more expansive than I'd realized, and I saw more evidence of something that I'd been noticing for days: that the flora was turning from tropical, to more forested, as it had been back in the southern forest where we'd first appeared here. Despite this, though, I knew that this didn't mean that we were close to that place. We'd come too far for that.

Nothing was familiar, but I did see one promising destination. About two miles away, in the center of a clearing among a dense grouping of vine-covered trees, stood an old mansion. It was the perfect place for a Digimon community to gather, and maybe the perfect place for us to get the directions we needed. I was wary of the possibility that we might encounter an enemy there, but I wasn't worried that we would encounter any of Manipulamon's men. This place was hidden enough to act as a hide out, and too far from everything else to make a good base.


BattleStaliamon and I landed and told Amanda and Chickomon what we had seen. It would take too much time to walk, so we decided to fly to the mansion to save time. This worried Amanda a little. She'd never flown on her Digimon's back before, but I hadn't either until today, and I assured her that it had been no big deal.

So while still on Chickomon’s back, Amanda activated the Digivice and Chickomon Digivolved into his massive Adult form. Amanda looked down from her perch on the huge Digimon's back. “Wow,” she said simply, “Braunto, you're tall.”

I laughed, “Alright, guys, let's get moving.” BattleStaliamon and BrauntoPhoenixmon flapped their wings and rose into the air. They flapped hard, rising higher and higher, and once they were high enough, BrauntoPhoenixmon spilled air from his wings, and BattleStaliamon angled his, his aura flaring, and they swooped toward the clearing. In minutes, we had reached our destination. The Digimon dropped to the ground, I jumped down from BattleStaliamon's back, and the two Digimon de-Digivolved.

“Okay,” Amanda asked, recoiling a bit from the structure, and sinking further down into her Digimon's back.,“is it just me, or does this place look a lot creepier up close?”

Amanda was right. I shuddered as I examined the decrepit façade before me. The bricks in the walls were coming loose, and the windows were either cracked or blocked from view by a covering of boards. Ivy and tropical vines spread from the ground up the walls like fingers ready to pull all three stories and the one tower of the ancient building to an early grave.

“Well,” I said, “since we’re here, we might as well check the place out.” I walked slowly up to the double front doors, Amanda and the Digimon close behind. I looked around, and I saw the rope for the bell. I gave it a good tug, and a deep ringing echoed forth from the tower above. I heard the fluttering of wings and looked up in time to see a large flock of bats fleeing the sound. Real bats, not Digimon. It didn't occur to me at the time how odd that was.

“Well,” said Amanda, “guess nobody’s home!” She dropped from Chickomon's back and stepped forward to grab my arm and pull me away from the door, and she tripped on an uneven block in the walkway. She fell forward and landed against the door. It creaked open and she fell, half of her body inside.

“Cool,” I said, helping Amanda up as my adventurous side took hold, “it’s open. This is just like in a movie!”

“Yeah,” said Amanda fearfully as she followed me reluctantly inside, “that’s just what I’m afraid of.”

We stepped inside and found ourselves in a large foyer. To our right was a large ornately designed staircase. To our left there was a massive chandelier hanging from the wide double high ceiling, under which was an open arched doorway leading into another room. There were smaller doors to either side of the staircase. Like the outside of the house, the interior was falling apart, despite the fact that you could still tell how immaculate the place had once been.

“Come on Manda,” I said, “let’s check this place out. I bet there’s tons of sweet stuff! This looks like a human house. Maybe there's a clue as to a way home.” I took a cautious step deeper into the building, heading for the rooms to our right.

“Jen,” Amanda whined, but she followed anyway. Chickomon stepped up to her side, and Coltmon trotted past, goofing off and making loud noises by banging his hooves against the tile floor. There had yet to be any kind of reply or response to our presence here, and I was sure that we were alone, which is why I was so surprised that, as we stepped away from the door, it swung shut behind us.

“Crap!” I exclaimed and rushed back to the door. I pulled as hard as I could on the handle, but it wouldn’t budge. “Crap,” I said again, “I’ve seen enough movies to know that stuff like this is never good.”

I was about to suggest that he cut our losses and have the Digimon Digivolve and bust us out, but I didn't have a chance, because it was then that Amanda screamed in terror. I turned quickly and caught sight of what had scared her so badly. Above our heads, circling the chandelier, were six ghosts. They were small, only about two, two and a half feet tall, and they looked like little more than tattered sheets with dark eyes, mouths full of sharp teeth, and blue, clawed hands. I pulled Amanda behind me protectively, hoping to shield her from whatever threat the ghosts posed.

The ghosts moaned and began swooping toward us and then pulling abruptly back up toward the ceiling in rapid arches. “Bakemon!” I exclaimed, and I pulled out my Digivice, though I didn't activate it yet.

“I'm surprised they showed themselves,” said Coltmon, a little puzzled. “Bakemon are only really a threat in large numbers. Against so few, we probably won't even have to Digivolve.”

It was then that things took a serious turn for the worse. All around us appeared more ghosts, hovering in the air. Some were just more Bakemon, but some were wearing witch hats. I learned later from Coltmon that these Bakemon variants were called Soulmon. Altogether there were about twenty of the erratic ghost Digimon, poised and ready to attack.

“I take that back,” said Coltmon. “Digivolving could quite possibly be the best idea ever.”

“I can’t Digivolve in here,” said Chickomon. “I’d get to big.”

“Then leave this to us,” I said, stepping forward, Coltmon at my side. “Initiate Digivolution!”

“Got ya!” Coltmon replied. “Coltmon, Digivolve to, BattleStaliamon! Time to take down some ghosts!”

He leaped toward several ghosts and kicked them with his front hooves. They became data and faded away, but more of the ghosts dropped toward my Digimon and and struck with their claws. Of course BattleStaliamon had had experience with these things, though, and he was able to shift his weight and turn midair to take the brunt of the claw attacks on his thick, strong war saddle. Then he spread his angelic wings and rose higher into the air, toward the ceiling, and circled his enemies.

“Hoof Blades!” BattleStaliamon called. He reared up and kicked with his front hooves, slinging curved energy blades off of the physical metal blades affixed there. They spun, circling the room, and cut down several more of the enemies.

“Chickomon Blades,” Chickomon called from below. Lasers shot from his eyes in three rapid bursts, hitting a Bakemon and a Soulmon, destroying them both, but he had drawn the enemy's attention now. He was hit by an attack from one of the remaining Soulmon and thrown through the air, landing hard on his side.

“I’ve had enough of this,” said BattleStaliamon. “Time to end this little game.” He rose up into the air and began to glow, calling, “Celestial Ring!” His attack wasn't as strong without Fillimon at his side, but it was enough. A sphere of light spread out from his body, incinerating every ghost it touched. The few that remained faded away, retreating into the walls.

BattleStaliamon landed and turned to face the door. He launched his attack at the double doors, but it somehow had no effect. We were still trapped!

Then suddenly the room was filled with the sound of slow clapping coming from the top of the stairs. I turned toward the source and saw a tall pale figure standing there, wearing a red cape. He wore a red mask over his eyes, and he had fangs like a vampire.

“Oh no!” said BattleStaliamon.

“What?” I asked.

“I think that’s Myotismon, one of the strongest of all ghost Digimon. He’s at the Perfect level and is said to be on par with one of Manipulamon's stronger generals!”

“Not 'as strong as' a general,” the vampire Digimon snarled from above us, “I once was one of Manipulamon's generals, but he grew fearful of me and replaced me with my protege, MetalPhantomon. I came here to amass forces to attack Manipulamon and his army and take his throne, but you've gone and set me back.”

“You can take this guy,” I told my Digimon, ignoring the enemy's words. “You're a holy Digimon, and he's a dark Digimon. If we're smart, you'll win.”

“No,” BattleStaliamon replied. “Maybe Fillimon and I could beat him, but I can't beat him alone if he's as strong as MetalPhantomon. I’m stronger when Fillimon and I are together.”

“I feel that I should congratulate you,” said Myotismon, “on so easily overcoming my ghost forces. Bravo. I’m one for a good challenge, and I love nothing more than drawing others to their demise. You have entered not a mansion, but my Ghost Realm. The only way out is either at my side, or upon my demise.”

He levitated into the air and spread his arms as he glided toward us. Suddenly the room around us dissolved, and we found ourselves in a shadowy realm with no ground and no sky. Only a swirling gray nothingness interspersed with reds and purples in long swatches, like arms of distant galaxies.

“I guess we have no other choice, then,” I said, “than to fight.”

“Chickomon,” said Amanda, “you can Digivolve now that the walls are gone. Initiate Digivolution!”

“Right!” Chickomon replied. “Chickomon, Digivolve to, BrauntoPhoenixmon!”

The massive Dinosaur Digimon spread his huge feathered wings and shot straight toward his foe. BattleStaliamon glided around behind. Myotismon remained still, sure of himself. The Digimon faced him from opposite sides and launched their attacks.

“Pitiful,” said Myotismon. He aimed his palms at the oncoming attacks and called “Crimson Lightning!” Red energy extended from his hands and he slung it like whips toward the oncoming attacks, canceling them out with absolutely no effort.

“You haven’t seen anything yet,” said BrauntoPhoenixmon. He charged at a reckless speed straight at the enemy Digimon. Myotismon laughed and threw open his cape. A flock of bats appeared from beneath his cape, overtaking BrauntoPhoenixmon, carrying him away, biting at his flesh.

While Myotismon was focusing on BrauntoPhoenixmon, however, BattleStaliamon took the opportunity to set up another attack. He circled back around behind Myotismon and launched his attack, his Hoof Blades. They flew true, hitting Myotismon in the back, but all that they seemed to do was scorch his cape.

Myotismon spun around. “How dare you strike me!” he cried. He glared at BattleStaliamon, a fierceness in his eyes. “I was going to let you live so I could have a little more fun, but I’m mad now. I think it’s time I finished you off.” He raised his hands and aimed his palms at BattleStaliamon. “Crimson Lightning!”

He slung his energy attack at my Digimon, giving him no time to dodge. “No!” I cried out. I couldn’t let him hurt my partner, my friend. And I couldn’t let BattleStaliamon die protecting me. I had tears in my eyes as I tried hopelessly to run to my Digimon’s side on a ground that didn’t exist. One of those tears fell and splashed against my Neo Crest of Love, and the crest lit up, and time around me seemed to slow. My Crest slid from its tag and became a glowing, floating pink disk.

Knowledge flowed through me, and I knew what to do next. I took my Digivice out again, and attached my Digiplayer to the back of it. I pushed the disk into the slot on my Digiplayer, calling out, “Initiate Digiplayer Digivolution!”

There was a bright flash of radiant pink light from my Digimon's body that overwhelmed Myotismon. He recoiled, and his attacks went wide, missing their mark. Meanwhile, my Digimon began to change shape.

“BattleStaliamon, Digivolve to!” he called. A metal strip ran down his back from his shoulders. Metal panels seemed to roll down from the strip, covering my Digimon’s sides, and then filling out, growing several inches thick. Rockets extended from the slanted back edge of those side panels, and large blades appeared, one mounted to each side. His wings became metallic versions of the same, though they shined with the same light. Thin wire exoskeletons appeared over his legs, enhancing the muscles within them, making them stronger, “MetalStaliamon!”

My new Digimon’s rockets came to life as Myotismon attacked again. My Digimon shot around the outside of the latest attack with ease, circling Myotismon with amazing speed. He turned on a dime to face the ghost Digimon, and then shot past him so fast that I could barely see, slashing Myotismon’s arm with one of his blades, severing the arm just below the elbow. Myotismon screamed as MetalStaliamon came to a dead stop and spun again to face his foe, calling “Metal Hoof Blades!” Guns extended from the front edges of my Digimon’s armor and he fired energy blades from them, which grew larger as they flew toward their target. They hit, engulfing Myotismon, ripping him apart.

The Ghost Realm faded away around us and we found ourselves in an empty lot where the mansion had once been. BrauntoPhoenixmon had de-Digivolved under the bat attack and was crouched down with his paws covering his head defensively. When he realized that the bats were gone, he rose to his feet and walked to Amanda’s side. She dropped down and hugged him as MetalStaliamon landed at my side. He de-Digivolved to Mainemon and hopped up into my arms, falling immediately asleep.

I smiled down at my partner Digimon, and then glanced over at Amanda. She had not cried once during the battle. I asked her why.

“Because,” she said, “you were strong in there, just like John always is too, and when I thought about that, I realized that we would be okay, and I decided to be strong too.”

It was a simple answer that showed little understanding of the true facts of the situation and how dire it had been, but it wasn't exactly the kind of answer that I would have expected from my young cousin either. It was the answer of someone a little more grown up, and a little more brave than the girl who had gone inside that mansion with me. Amanda had grown up a little in that place today, and as far as I was concerned, that fact alone made today a good day.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment