Sunday, December 7, 2014

Digimon Adventure ND Book One: Manipulamon Reigns - Chapter Six

On there way to the Gekomon Village, John and the others run across Scorpiomon, one of the generals in charge of Manipulamon's labor force of Digimon too numerous to devote extra data to tagging them. They probably could have avoided the fight, but John just can't help acting all heroic. And, well, they had to fight Scorpiomon eventually, right?

Also in this chapter, we see some minor contention build between John and his old friend Jeremy. Both seem to have different ideas about how the group should be led, but The Digicomp's message referred to John's leadership skills as a defining characteristic, so the rest continue to look to his first of all. How will this butting of heads eventually affect this recently-renewed relationship?  



Chapter Six

Encounter With the Enemy;
The Mines of Scorpiomon!


From Digital Bridge, Jeremy led us deeper into the trees of the oasis. He told us that the trees would eventually change as we crossed biomes again into a more tropical area. He explained that it would be humid, but that there wouldn't be any mosquitoes or anything like there would be in a real tropical jungle, at least not little buzzy ones, anyway. He laughed a little at that, when the girls freaked out, and I joined in, prompting Sarah to insist that the idea of giant mosquitoes didn't scare her. That got a laugh out of everyone who wasn't her.

We walked through the entire rest of the day, our fatigue chased away by the presence of a new friend, or two if you count the completely nonspeaking Mechmon, which I didn't. Just having Jeremy around again brought about a sort of second wind, at least until the sun set, and all of us remembered that sleep is a thing.

“There's a clearing up ahead, overlooking a hill, it looks like,” said Jen, squinting to see what was awaiting us. “It looks defensible, and we'll be able to see pretty far from the top. We should set up camp there.”

“I agree,” said Jeremy, before I could. It was subtle, but he actually seemed like he'd purposefully preempted me. No one had said that I was supposed to be leader for sure, but the reason that the Digicomp had given me for my presence here was my leadership skills, so I'd taken up the role. Did Jeremy think he could do better, and if so, why hadn't he said so? He should have known that he could talk to me.

“Me too,” I said, just to make it clear that I wanted a say. Jeremy gave me a sideways look that I didn't know what to think about, but then he smiled in a friendly manner and jogged ahead.

“I see some Meat Apples,” he said. “I'll grab a few while you guys scout a spot for the fire.”

“We've been awake the whole day this time,” said Serpentmon, referring to himself and BlackColtmon, “all of us Digimon have. We'll need to do that thing you guys said yesterday.”

“Keep watch,” BlackColtmon clarified.

“Yeah, good point,” I said, “I'll take first with my Digimon, then Sarah and Ponymon, and then Jeremy-.”

“That won't be necessary,” Jeremy interrupted, rejoining us with a dozen apples in his arms, “Mechmon can go into a passive recharge mode and keep a lookout all on his own while the rest of us sleep.”

I frowned. It made sense. Mechmon was a machine, after all. Either way, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go along with Jeremy's plan. Maybe it was because I was still irked from before, but I really didn't feel comfortable with it.

“I think I'll feel safer,” I said, “if we have at least two guards keeping watch at all times,” I told him.

“Good point,” said Jen thoughtfully, “after all, our group is larger now. We can be seen from further away than you and Mechmon alone could have been.”

“Okay,” Jeremy said, almost too automatically, like he was disappointed but didn't want to show it, “then Mechmon will be one guard, and the rest of us can trade shifts. Sound good?”

“Yeah,” I said, relieved that this discussion hadn't degenerated into an argument, “works for me.”

So as darkness finally settled in around us, we set up camp, started a fire, and roasted our apples at the top of what turned out to be a long cliff about fifteen feet high, which curved considerably about twenty yards down. Dinner was relatively silent compared to the rest of the day, but none of us really knew why.

Finally, after only half an hour, the others settled in as best they could and drifted off. Mechmon hopped up into a nearby tree, facing out over the clearing, and his glowing eyes dimmed. I sat back against the same tree and scanned the horizon, but every so often I'd find my eyes drifting up to the branches above me, to where Mechmon “slept”. He made me a little uncomfortable with his non-stop, relentless silence.

Finally I sighed, Get a grip, John, he's a friend. Just because he's a machine, it doesn't mean he isn't an ally. He's just different from the Digimon that you're used to.

I looked around the camp, and then traced the cliff edge with my eyes, and I saw something that I hadn't noticed before.

“Guys,” I said, sharply and urgently, but not too loudly, “get up, something's going on here.”

The others were awake in less than a minute, sitting up and looking at me expectantly.

“There,” I pointed, guiding their eyes to a point just before where the cliff curved, where we could just see the foot of the cliff from our camp site. “I didn't see it before, because of the angle, but there is definitely a cave down there, and there's a light coming from inside.”

“Do you think it's an enemy?” Jen asked.

“I don't know,” I said, “but friend or foe, whatever or whoever is in there, I'm not sleeping above them I until I know who they are.”

“I'm with you,” said Amanda, shivering.

“Then we need to scout it out,” said Sarah. The rest of us agreed, or at least most of us did.

“Come on, guys,” said Jeremy, “I'm tired, you're all tired. It's been a while now, and nothing's happened. If someone is in there, whoever's on watch will see them if they come out.”

“No,” I said, “I'm sorry Jeremy, but I'm pulling rank. We set up camp here because we didn't think anyone was around. We have to know. But there's no reason for all of us to go. Fewer people will mean fewer chances to be spotted if something is inside.

“I'll go with my Digimon,” I said, and I looked around at the others. I'd have liked to take Chickomon for his strength, but Amanda wouldn't do well in the cave, so I went for a compromise, “and I'll take Sarah and Ponymon and Amanda and Chickomon to hang back at the entrance and cover me. The rest of you wait here. If you see us in trouble, you can get down to us pretty quick, and if you see us in too much trouble, you should be able to get away if you're still up here.”

It was a solid plan, and I could tell that Jen hated it. She wanted to be in the action, helping, but I needed her here to take charge if I couldn't. I think she realized that, because she kept quite. It was Jeremy who spoke.

“Suit yourself,” he said, “but you aren't gonna find anything. I've been here longer than you guys. I know what I'm talking about.”

“Either way,” I said, “we're going.” Before anyone else could say a word, I was up, and Amanda, Sarah, and our Digimon, were right at my heels as I made my way to a less-steep part of the cliff and slid down. From there it was a short hike to the illuminated cave. The light didn't seem to be fire light. It was less flickery and more red, but just as warm, and there was heat coming from inside.

I instructed Sarah to lead Amanda and their Digimon in if they thought I might be in trouble, but to otherwise hang back, and then Serpentmon, BlackColtmon and I stepped inside. I felt confident that with the two of them with me, I would be safe from whatever might be waiting. However, rather than any kind of Digimon, or even a source of the light, I only found more cave waiting inside. The tunnel was way longer than I would have realized, sloping down. Small reflective crystals in the rock face reflected the warm red light from much deeper down.

“If we have to go much deeper,” I told me Digimon, “the others are gonna come in after us anyway. I wish there was a way I could contact Sarah and tell her just to come in,”

Then I thought of the Digivices. They had once been our crappy cell phones. Could they still be used like them? I took my Digivice from my pocket, and let my instincts guide me again. I pressed some buttons, the screen lit up, and after only a minute or so Sarah's and Amanda's faces appeared on it.

“Hey John,” said Sarah, “what's going on? I can barely see you. You alright?”

“We're fine,” I told her, marveling at yet another neat tool available to aid in our mission, “but this thing is a lot deeper than we thought. You guys should go ahead and come in.”

“Roger,” Sarah told me, and she pulled a reluctant Amanda behind her as I switched the Digivice back off.

My Digimon and I waited a few minutes for the others to catch up, and then we continued along carefully, but quickly. I don't know how long we kept walking at a downward angle. I don't think it was quite an hour. Finally we came to a curve in the tunnel leading to an opening. Through the opening I heard sounds, like voices, and the clanging of metal.

“Get down,” I told the others. We crouched and crept forward, and suddenly we were looking into a wide open cavern with a wide gap down the middle with lava flowing through it. That was the source of the glow, and the heat. In fact if we got much closer, we probably wouldn't make it. All around the lava, on both sides, small orange reptiles, like tiny t-rexes, and child-sized little golems made of rock were being driven like slaves to assemble a series of pipes that hung over the lava and collected the heat. Above them, hovering in the air, humanoid insects with green armor plating and stingers on their arms supervised, wielding whips. I took out the pocket Digicomp and analyzed them all.

“The little orange ones,” I said, “are called Agumon. The other little ones are called Gotsumon. They are fire and rock Digimon respectively, both fire resistant, and both strong for their size without having stronger than average attacks. The ones in the air are called Stingmon. They are smarter than most swarm insects, but I think it's probably safe to say that they're working for Manipulamon.”

“I'd say,” said Sarah. She pointed to another ledge high above the pit. Standing on that ledge was a huge armored scorpion.

I gasped, “That's Scorpiomon, the first general!”

I looked him up as well, “He's a Perfect level Digimon! His armor plates are super hard, and any of his limbs, and the end of his tail, are like razor-sharp swords.”

I was shuddering, “Guys, we can't fight him. He could beat all of our Digimon easily, even with Jeremy on our team now. We have to go.”

We turned to leave as quickly as we could, but as we turned I heard a voice above us: Scorpiomon's voice.

“Hey,” he said angrily, “you there, I'm not roasting to death in here for you to slack off and waste my time. Stingmon, punish him!”

I turned in time to see a Gotsumon, collapsed due to fatigue, being helped up by two Agumon as a Stingmon bore down on them.

“This is what you get if you refuse to work!” Scorpiomon announced. One of the Agumon moved to shield his friends, but it didn't matter. With one swipe of his stinger, the Stingmon cut all three of them into pieces and they broke apart into clouds of data.

“NO!” I shouted. I couldn't help myself. “Leave them alone,” I demanded, “they didn't do anything to you except work themselves half to death. This isn't fair!”

Then I realized what I'd just done, “Aww, crap!”

My Digimon sprung into the cavern with me, and Sarah and Amanda stepped out behind me, more reluctant. For a few moments all eyes were on us, and no one did or said anything.

“The Digidestined?” Scorpiomon asked. “I didn't think you guys were gonna show! You were fools to come here. I'll destroy you and earn a better assignment from my master than slaver duty in this wretched place. I don't care if he does want hot water in his new palace, I've had enough of this heat!”

He looked to his hovering minions, and commanded, “Stingmon, kill them, and then head outside and mop up any others!”

The powerful-looking Adult Digimon bore down on us. I only needed a second to turn, grab my sister and my cousin by the arms, and yell, “Run!”

We charged for the tunnel to the surface, but a Stingmon was on us. It was all I could do to push the girls through, knocking Ponymon and BlackColtmon into the tunnel with them, leaving only me, Serpentmon and Chickomon behind.

“Chickomon!" Amanda screamed as BlackColtmon scooped her up onto his back, and Ponymon scooped up Sarah, and they started running, the single Stingmon close behind. Her Digivice began to glow, and Chickomon ran forward toward the lava pit, and grew.

“Chickomon, Digivolve to!” Soon he filled our entire side of the cavern, his wings spread wide to protect me and Serpentmon from the remaining Stingmon guards, “BrauntoPhoenixmon!”

The Stingmon charged him, but he beat his wings, knocking them all back.

“Do I have to do everything myself?” Scorpiomon asked, exasperated, as BrauntoPhoenixmon flapped once and rose over the pit. The Stingmon swooped out of the way as the giant scorpion dropped onto BrauntoPhoenixmon's back. The two tumbled to the other side of the pit, out of my reach, and began to fight, leaving Serpentmon and I staring down half a dozen bug warriors who were all to fast for us to even hope to escape.

“I don't see a choice, Bud,” I told him.

“Yeah,” he said, “it looks like we have to fight.”

The Stingmon lunged at us, but as they bore down, Serpentmon glowed, and he grew.

“Serpentmon, Digivolve to, Dragonterramon!”

With a roar he swung his head and tail wide, knocking the Stingmon away, and breathed fire on one, reducing it to ashes.

Still, he was outnumbered five to one by powerful flying Digimon, his only backup was out of reach, fighting a Digimon that he couldn't hope to win, and we had no way of knowing if Sarah and Amanda had made it outside to get the others. Things didn't look good.

Screw it, I thought defiantly, and I climbed up and stood on Dragonterramon's back, gripping his spikes in both hands.

Come on, Partner,” I told him, “if we're going down, we're going down together.”

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment