Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Yu-Gi-Oh! Epic Battles #2: John Sieger vs. Yugi Muto, Part Two

Here we have part two of the John vs. Yugi duel, proving that, yes, I do intend to still upload these things as well, alternating them with Reaper, and any other Yu-Gi-Oh! short stories that I happen to dream up. I really like this duel, but it is a four-parter, and this chapter honestly feels a little floaty. Still, I think it's pretty good.



Duel Two

John vs. Yugi Muto Part, Two


"My turn isn't over," Yugi declared, though I really could have guessed that. What I couldn't have guessed was what Yugi was about to do with the rest of that turn. He was Yugi, I expected brilliance from him, and yet he still managed to surprise me.

"Next I play 'Toy Box'," Yugi continued.

What? I wondered. He'd played a toy monster, but this was something else entirely. This was establishing a theme. Is he seriously using a Toy deck? Should I feel insulted?

But Yugi knew what he was going, I just didn't know it yet.

"I place my 'Toy Tank' in the 'Toy Box'," Yugi explained, "allowing me to place one 'Toy' from my deck in the 'Box' as well."

A second toy, this time a 'Toy Soldier', appeared as well (ATK: 1500), and both were lifted into a living wooden box, painted bright colors.

"Since I no longer have any monsters on the field to defend myself with," Yugi explained, "I set a card."

Good, I thought as Yugi's card appeared as a hologram, at least he's not taking me lightly.

"And to finish things up," Yugi concluded, "I play 'Gold Sarcophagus', removing one card in my deck from play along with the golden box."

A solid gold puzzle box appeared above the field, the Spell card 'Dimensionhole' appearing and falling into it before it disappeared."

"In two turns," Yugi explained unnecessarily, "the box will return to play and open, giving me my card."

I registered all of Yugi's words, all the while wondering what he could possibly be planning.

It doesn't matter, I finally decided after several seconds of pondering, if I can't figure out, I have to play like it do. I drew.

"Face-down card or not," I declared, "you've given me a bigger opening than I ever expected. I summon 'Diskblade Rider' and attack!"

A demonic warrior appeared aback a powerful-looking motorcycle, a sharp-edged disk in hand, (ATK: 1700). He threw his disk, but Yugi was prepared.

"Reveal," he countered, "the Field Trap card 'Sand Fortress'."

A wall of a sand castle appeared between Yugi and his attacker. My monster's blade hit the wall and was bounced back, but where it hit half of the wall collapsed.

"My 'Fortress'," Yugi explained, "has three thousand Life Points (3000 -> 1300), and until they are gone and the 'Fortress' is destroyed, my own Life Points are safe."

"Clever," I praised. "There isn't anything left to do for the moment except set one card, and end my turn."

"Set as many cards as you want," Yugi taunted. He seemed to mean it, too, and that made me nervous.

"I draw," Yugi continued, "and I begin by opening my 'Toy Box' and taking out my 'Toy Tank'."

This is it, I thought, he's going to Tribute Summon.

But to my surprise, Yugi had something else planned. As soon as the plastic war machine appeared, the air rippled around it, and it was gone.

"Next I use the power of 'Aria from Beyond' to activate the removed from play 'Dimentionhole'," Yugi declared, "taking the 'Tank' out of play until the start of my next turn."

Is he building for a double sacrifice? I wondered. One thing that I knew about Yugi's dueling style was that he tried to avoid monsters that cost two tributes, even removing his famous 'Gaia the Fierce Knight' in favor of a version that could be summoned tribute-free. The only two tribute monster I knew him to use in recent years was the 'Dark Magician', but this was a completely unknown deck. Would he include the 'Dark Magician' in it? And if not, what other monster could possibly be powerful or useful enough that Yugi, easily one of the world's most formidable strategic minds, would give up two monsters to summon it?

"I end my turn," Yugi concluded, leaving me stunned.

"You aren't going to set up any other defenses?" I asked.

"No," Yugi replied, a touch of smugness in his voice, "I'm not."

I smiled, "Well then, don't complain when I bust down your sand wall and hit you directly. I summon 'Y-Dragon Head', and destroy the 'Sand Fortress' with Laser Breath!"

My monster, a red mechanical dragon, appeared hovering at my side. He fired an energy beam from his mouth, blasting the 'Sand Fortress' apart (ATK: 1500).

"And," I continued, "my 'Rider' attacks directly."

'Diskblade Rider' threw his blade weapon at Yugi, scoring a direct hit, and the first Life Points of the duel were finally shed (ATK: 8000 -> 6300). Yugi didn't so much as bat an eye. It was more than slightly intimidating.

Gotta play safe, I decided, especially since I can't figure out what he has planned.
"I place one more card face-down," I finished. At that point, I had no idea that I was just playing into Yugi's hand.

"Then I draw," Yugi declared, his gaming rhythm never faltering, "and my 'Toy Tank' returns, and 'Dimensionhole' goes to my hand."

Sure enough, the 'Dimensionhole' opened again, and the Toy monster emerged. 'Gold Sarcophagus' reappeared and opened, and Yugi added the 'Dimensionhole' Spell to his hand where he could use it again if he needed to.

"Next," Yugi continued, the lid of his 'Toy Box' opening once again, and another monster emerging, "I set 'Dimensionhole' and one other card, and summon 'Toy Soldier' from the 'Toy Box'. I tribute both of my Toys to summon a mighty power!"

The two Toy monsters disappeared. In their place appeared a huge black dragon with red spots, like glowing red eyes, lining its body.

That's... I thought, shaking.

"Summon forth," Yugi announced, "'Gandora, the Dragon on Destruction'! 'Gandora', activate your special effect! I play half of my Life Points to allow my dragon to remove every other card on the field from play and increase his power accordingly."

The glowing red spots on his monster flashed brighter.

"Go," Yugi commanded (6300 -> 3150), "Thousand Gigarays!"

Beams fired from the glowing spots, piercing every card on the field including my 'Mirror Force' and 'Blast Held by a Tribute', and 'Gandora' gained Attack (ATK: 0 -> 1800).

"'Gandora'," Yugi commanded, "attack directly!"

The dragon turned his beams on me, flooding my field with red light (8000 -> 6200).

"But my turn isn't over," Yugi concluded. "I play 'Card of Sanctity'. We each draw until we hold six cards. And I finish with three cards face-down."

I'm not gonna lie, at that point in the duel, I was feeling pretty shaken, but I was still determined. The summoning of 'Gandora' had hurt, but I'd experienced far worse.

"Sorry, Yugi," I said, "but I'm not gonna make it so easy for you. I play 'Dealings in Darkness', a Spell that lets me take five random cards from my deck and, without looking, remove one from play, discard one, and add one to my hand, before shuffling the other two back into the deck."

Five random cards slid from the deck.

"I remove from play," I declared, picking a random card out of the five and showing it to Yugi, "'W-Winged Catapult'."

I picked another card and showed it, "I discard 'Giant Orc'."

Finally, I chose a third card and added it to my hand, and then shuffled my deck.

"Now let's get this show on the road," I declared, putting on my best smug face. "I summon the card that I was lucky enough to add to my hand, my 'X-Head Cannon'!"

My monster, a blue and yellow robotic torso with a cannon on each shoulder, appeared at my side (ATK: 1800).

"Next I play 'Ties of the Brethren'. I pay one thousand Life to summon two more machines from my deck!"

My Life Points fell (6200 -> 5200), but my advantage only increased. A yellow tank with a stalk eye attached to the front, and a mechanical tiger with jets and telescopic wings appeared alongside my other monsters.

"Meet," I announced, "my 'Z-Metal Tank' and 'V-Tiger Jet'. And I follow up with 'Dimension Fusion'. I give up two thousand Life to summon as many of my monsters as possible that have been removed from play (5200 -> 3200)."

A hole opened between the dimensions, and my 'Y-Dragon Head', and the boxy flying weapon platform 'W-Winged Catapult', appeared from within it.

"You may have had the edge up until now," I told Yugi, my confidence growing, "but now I control all five of my powerful magnet monsters. My options are limitless!"

Of course, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Next Chapter >>

No comments:

Post a Comment