Saturday, June 4, 2016

Yu-Gi-Oh! DF Book Seven: Their Most Dangerous Enemy - Chapter Twenty-Five

Hey, guys! It's another Amanda duel! To be fair, she comes closer to losing here than she has to any other Duelist (who isn't Jen), but that doesn't prevent her from being her typical kinda pompous, overconfident self. I think even Amanda has realized by now that she isn't allowed to lose to anyone who isn't the story's main villain (or again, Jen).

Before the duel happens, though, we get some dialogue between Max and Reiko, and, surprisingly enough, spending time with someone who Max might be romantically attracted to, who isn't just as damaged as he is may have sparked a desire in him to change his ways for the better. Who'd'a guessed?




Chapter Twenty-Five

Amanda vs. Number Five


Max


I just stood there. It isn't that I was unable to move. I wasn't shocked still or anything like that. But I was lost in thought. So it was Jen who took the initiative and demanded that the Card Professors explain why, if we won, the doors weren't opening. They explained their trap, and how we had become hostages for their leader to use against John. Jen didn't seem surprised, and I definitely wasn't. After hearing stories of the Dark Factory, no-win scenarios were just something that I expected when thinking of the place.

After the Card Professors disappeared, their holographic projections discontinued, Jen walked forward, to examine the doors. She probably already knew that there was no way to get through them, but she's the kind of person who has to keep busy in these kinds of situations. I'm not. Over the last few years, with everything that I'd been through, I almost welcomed the few moments when I literally could do nothing. It was the only time that felt anything like relaxation.

But this was no time to relax. Finally, reluctantly, I looked over at Reiko, the girl who had put her trust in me. The girl who I'd sworn to protect. She'd gone to sit against the far wall, choosing the sensation of cold metal over my company. Between her pale brown hair and chestnut-colored eyes, and her soft features, she was very pretty. A fact that I hadn't only now noticed. She looked like she was probably a few years older than me, and she definitely wasn't a fighter. It was odd. She was so different from the last person I'd felt an attraction to, and yet I felt compelled to protect her in the same way. And hurting her by scaring her during the duel had hurt me, too. I almost scolded myself. This was twice now in a relatively short period of time that I'd allowed my feelings for someone control me like this. It was a weakness that I couldn't afford.

Still, despite myself, despite how much I didn't want to feel connected to this girl, despite how much I wanted to bury my feelings and do my job, I couldn't. I felt compelled to talk to her. To explain things, and maybe even apologize. So I walked over to the same wall, and I sat down beside her, several feet away. I was surprised that she decided to talk first.

"So is that your power," she asked, "scaring people?"

I looked down at the Soul of Life embedded in the clasp that held my purple cloak closed. "Yeah," I said, "the Soul of Life lets me get into the heads of my enemies by connecting to their fears and making them play out on this kind of mental plane. That isn't all that the Soul does, but it's the power that let's me help the most people."

"You've been hurt a lot, haven't you?" Reiko asked, as soon as I'd finished talking.

I was surprised by how forward she was, "What?"

"You must have been," she continued, "to be willing to suffer through seeing the fears of your enemies just to defeat them. The only reason that someone would agree to do something like that every day is if their own pain is even worse."

I looked over at her. She was looking down, so I couldn't see her face, but I could see her hands shaking. "I get scared sometimes," she explained, "and nervous, and anxious. I like people, but it makes me uncomfortable to meet them. And sometimes competing in a big duel can terrify me. So I have a lot of experience with different kinds of fear. But I find ways of dealing with it and moving on. You seem to do the same thing, except that instead of brushing it off, you turn your fear into a weapon, and you project it onto others. Even without your magic, you were so able to scare my colleague, and you seemed to enjoy it. Maybe I'm wrong, but could it be that that's because you were afraid, and seeing him scared helped you?"

Now I really was shocked speechless. I'd never thought of it that way, but hearing her say it, I couldn't deny it. It had been how I'd obtained the Soul of Life in the first place. I'd turned and defied my old master, Yami, with the expectation that he'd kill me, all the while hoping that my defiance would intimidate him, if only for a second, the way that he'd intimidated me all of those years. All of my time being the Reaper, going around pretending to be above fear because I could control it in others, I'd just been distracting myself from my own fears. The fear that I was too damaged to be a good person. the fear that I was only doing good because of promises that I'd made to others, and that one day I'd forget that. The fear that my life would never be normal because of the choices I'd made. The fear that I didn't really have any friends, that everyone secretly hated me, and that I was alone. The feat that I would eventually lose anyone who was stupid enough to care for me. That last one was a fear which had recently gotten some strong reinforcement.

So I'd pretended that those weaknesses were actually my strengths. I built my moral core upon others who were more important to me than myself, and that made my morality infallible. And I didn't care if others actually liked me, or if I would ever get the chance to lead a normal life, because I preferred to be alone. But I was just lying to myself. When I actually allowed myself to consider what my life would be like without the burden of the duty that I'd imposed upon myself, my heart ached. I'd have to force the idea out of mind.

I was full of fears, fears that I barely allowed myself to acknowledge, that I kept buried deep, and somehow this girl had seem them plainly at a glance. Maybe it had just been a lucky guess, but somehow I thought that it was more. Reiko finally glanced over at me, and for a second our eyes met, and I was sure that, somehow, by some random chance, this girl actually understood me.

"I've heard of you, you know," Reiko continued. "You're the Reaper. You took down a whole drug empire in New York. You take on really bad guys every day. The fact that you are willing to do that despite how afraid you are, it fills me with hope. Because if I can be even one tenth that strong, I can do anything."

She looked right at me, and she didn't look afraid, "Maybe that's the real power of your Soul: to bring people hope. I mean, when I manage to overcome one of my anxieties, I feel hopeful for the future. Being afraid gives me a chance to rise above it and become better."

Suddenly, I was reminded of something, back in New York, with the girl I'd let die, I'd gone into her mind and forced her to relive one of her most fearful memories in the hopes of finding out something that we needed to know. After putting her fears into new context, her fears had disappeared, and been replaced by something else. Hope, I realized, I helped her find new hope!

While I was lost in my reverie, Reiko slid closer to me. I was surprised when I felt her take my hand. She looked me in the eyes and said, "I know that's your real power, and I don't know how yet, but as a thank you for fighting for me, I'm going to help you find it."


Amanda


Captain Ego (aka Nate) and I followed two of the Card Professors into the room behind the door labeled number three.

Tell 'em what they won, Johnny, I thought, sarcastically, as we stood there, facing off against the elfish, white-haired Card Professor, and his colleague, a tough-looking guy with blond hair and defined muscles. The two of them explained the game, floor panels and all. I didn't know at the time that it was a trap. Neither did Nate. There was no way he could have. But he still did something that impressed me, just a little bit.

"None of that's a problem," Nate said, stepping up onto his own platform without any hesitation, "Nate'll fight you both."

I almost smiled. In his own way, he was trying to be chivalrous.

"Not a chance," I told him, and the Card Professors. "I'm here, and I'm going to fight."

I stepped up onto my own floor panel, across from the blond guy.

"I'm Ted Banias," he introduced himself, "the fifth strongest Card Professor. I can overrun any defense, no matter how strong."

"I'm Amanda," I replied stoically, "and I'm going to beat you on my fifth turn."

My opponent was taken aback, if only for a second, and then he laughed, but it was enough of a distraction for me to get things started. I ignored him, and declared, "I draw."

I looked over my hand, "I'll begin this duel by summoning my 'Harpie Lady 1', and setting one card on the field."

My monster, an elegant, long-haired, feathered-armed young woman appeared at my side, benefiting from her own effect (ATK: 1300 -> 1600).

"'Harpie' monsters," Ted remarked. "Fast, and powerful, but fragile. The glass canons of Duel Monsters. My monsters are almost as fast, but they're just as strong, and much more durable. You don't stand a chance against them. I summon the Beast-Warrior, 'Speed Jaguar'!"

A humanoid jaguar with a lithe, feminine figure appeared, wearing a skin-tight jumpsuit, and carrying a curved sword (ATK: 1000).

"My monster might look weak," Ted explained, "but she's actually so fast that she can make two attacks in the time that it takes other monsters to make just one. That means that she does double the battle damage to monsters when she's the attacking monster."

The 'Jaguar' rushed forward, almost too quickly for me to follow her movements. I glanced down at my face-down 'Storming Mirror Force' ready to activate it, just in time to see the 'Jaguar' jump clear over my monster, and crush my Trap card with her clawed feet.

"Activate 'Crush Claw'," Ted announced, "to destroy one Spell or Trap card in play for every Beast-Warrior on my side of the field. Now, 'Speed Jaguar' attacks your monster."

The 'Jaguar' turned, and ran past my monster, slashing her twice with her sword as she returned to her master's side. The 'Harpie' slashed with her taloned hands in response, but she was too slow, hitting only air. She was destroyed, and she'd barely had a chance to react (8000 -> 7600). I'll admit, I was a little shaken up.

"I set two cards," said Ted, "and end my turn. Keep in mind, kid, that it's never too late to admit that you're out of your league."

"That's brave of you to admit," I told him. "If you decide to admit that and surrender, I won't hold it against you. But in the mean time, I draw, and I summon 'Harpie Lady 3' in defense mode."

"Not exactly," Ted countered, seemingly amused, either by my words, or by my play, "because, at this point, I activate 'Final Attack Orders'. Now all monsters must be played in Attack mode."

Another 'Harpie', only distinguishable from her sister due to her shorter hair, appeared at my side where her sister had been (ATK: 1300), her talons raised.

I frowned, "I set a card."

"And it's my turn again," Ted announced, smiling magnanimously. "I draw two more cards with the effect of 'Pot of Greed'. And then I play 'Cost Down', discarding 'Spike Rhinoceros' to lower the Levels of all monsters in my hand by two for the rest of the turn. This allows me to tribute 'Speed Jaguar' for my most powerful monster, the 'Assault Lion', and I combine it with 'Medicine Eater' to summon him with half of the 'Speed Jaguar''s Attack, and her ability of high speed strike."

A massive lion man appeared, wearing giant metal gauntlets. He picked up the 'Speed Jaguar' and ate her, right there in front of me (ATK: 2600 -> 3100).

"Well," I said, frowning, "that was gross."

Ted ignored me, still grinning, "Now, to maximize the damage, I reveal 'Shadow Spell', immobilizing your monster and reducing her Attack."

My 'Harpie''s own shadow took on the form of black chains and wrapped her up, holding her in place (ATK: 1300 -> 600).

"My monster attacks," Ted commanded, "and his Attack damage is doubled during my turn."

The 'Lion' struck with both of his claws in an instant (ATK: 6200). My helpless monster was torn apart, and if this had been a Shadow Game, and not a holographic duel, the ground at my feet would have been torn to pieces right along with her (7600 -> 2000). In only one turn, I found myself within a single turn of defeat. I sighed.

"I activate my monster's ability," I declared, "paralyzing the monster who destroyed her for three turns with pheromones."

As I spoke, the giant lion man stumbled, and fell heavily onto his side, moaning faintly.

"I draw," I said, "and pass."

"Not even bothering to defend yourself, huh?" Ted asked, pridefully.

"Why bother," I answered. "I can't defend while you control 'Final Attack Orders', and your 'Assault Lion' can't attack me anyway."

For just a second, my opponent's boundless confidence wavered.

"Fine," Ted announced, "in that case, I draw, place the card I drew face-down, and pass as well."

"I draw, and pass," I declared, and this time, Ted Banias was visibly agitated.

"Then I draw," Ted declared insistently, "and I summon 'Winged Rhynos', and attack you directly."

A big, bulky, humanoid rhinoceros with broad, colorful feathered wings affixed to his back appeared at the 'Assault Lion''s side, wearing blue armor, and carrying a spiked club (ATK: 1800). The monster took wing, moving far more clumsily than one of my 'Harpies' might, and swooped forward, striking me with his weapon, causing my Life to plummet (2000 -> 200).

"And on my next turn," Ted taunted, "my 'Lion' will recover, and I'll be able to crush you in one blow, no matter what monster you play."

"You've overlooked something," I told him simply.

"Oh yeah," he asked, "what's that?"

"My next turn," I replied, "is my fifth turn."

I drew, watching as my opponent almost imperceptibly began to sweat.

"You were bluffing," he insisted.

"Nope," I replied. "I draw, and play a Spell card that I've been saving up, my 'Graceful Charity'. I draw three cards, and then I discard 'Harpie's Pet Dragon' and 'Harpie Queen'. And I discard another 'Harpie Queen' to add 'Harpie's Hunting Ground' in my deck to my hand."

A single card ejected from my deck, and I took it.

"I set the Field Spell," I explained, "and I set three other cards face-down, before I play 'Card of Sanctity'. I draw five more cards that I'll get a chance to use. You draw six that you won't."

We both drew, and I continued without hesitation.

"Next I play 'Hand Destruction'. We each send two cards to the Graveyard, and then draw two cards to replace them."

I threw out 'Harpie Lady Sisters' and 'Birdman'. Ted tossed out his 'Gene-Warped Warwolf' and 'Mesmeric Control'."

"Finally," I announced, "everything is in place. Reveal 'Hysteric Party'. I discard 'Harpie Girl' to Special Summon every 'Harpie Lady' in my Graveyard at once, including the Attack-increasing 'Harpie Lady 1'."

As I spoke, two 'Harpie Ladies' and two of the regal, pink-haired 'Harpie Queens' appeared standing together, facing the Beast-Warriors that waited at my opponent's side (ATK: 1300 -> 1600 (x2)/ATK: 1900 -> 2200 (x2)).

"This can't be happening," Ted insisted.

I shook my head, "Ugh, why do they always say that."

I looked Ted in the eyes and said, "Of course it can. It is happening. Dumbass."

"I still have my Trap cards to protect me!" Ted responded, sounding relieved.

"Not once I reveal my Spell card," I told him. "Because I control at least one 'Harpie' monster, I can activate 'Harpie's Feather Duster', sweeping all of your Spell and Trap cards away."

A feather duster appeared in 'Harpie Lady 1''s outstretched hand, and she swiped at the air with it, kicking up a gale force wind that carried the holographic versions of Ted's set cards away.

"And now," I continued, "I play 'Monster Reborn' to revive the servant of the 'Harpie Ladies', the 'Harpie's Pet Dragon'."

A red dragon adorned with gold jewelry, wearing a golden leash around its neck, appeared at 'Harpie Lady 1''s side. Her Attack increased for every other monster at her side (ATK: 2000 -> 3200).

"And, of course," I explained, "my dragon gets even more Attack from the effect of my 'Harpie Lady'."

My dragon flexed her wings, and roared (ATK: 3200 -> 3500).

"I give my monsters even more power," I concluded, "by flipping my 'Harpie's Hunting Ground' face-up, and playing 'Megamorph' on my dragon."

The area around up changed to a dirt clearing surrounded by trees. The four 'Harpie Ladies' sprung upward to perch in the branches. A gentle gust picked up in the space between our two fields. A magic circle appeared beneath my dragon's feet, and she doubled in size. (ATK: 1600 -> 1800 (x2)/ATK: 2200 -> 2400 (x2)/ATK: 3500 -> 5500).

"My 'Harpie's Pet Dragon' incinerates you 'Assault Lion'," I declared, and the lion man was reduced to ashes in the light of a crimson flame (8000 -> 5600).

"One of my 'Harpie Queens' kills your 'Rhynos'," I continued, one of the two pink-haired bird women lunging forward and slicing the clumsy 'Rhynos' to ribbons with a swipe of her claws (5600 -> 5000).

"And finally," I concluded, "my last three monsters attack directly together, and finish you off."

The remaining three 'Harpie Ladies' sprung forward and slashed at Ted one after another in rapid succession, draining the rest of his Life away (Total ATK: 6000), leaving him standing there, speechless.

"I told ya," I said. "My fifth turn."

Card of the Day:
Harpie's Feather Duster
Played by: Amanda

My interpretation of this card requires that a "Harpie" monster be present on the field to "wield" it. The fact is, it's just too powerful as it is. The ability to destroy your opponent's entire backrow at once is extremely potent. Frankly, Amanda still could have won just as easily without this card, by playing her cards in a different order, but the fact that she had it to play made things a bit simpler. Regardless, this card made a bigger splash in this duel than any other card, except maybe "Assault Lion". And there isn't any good art of that card. So this one wins this spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment